Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People sneaking up the right lane on Dock Road

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

Sounds like someone needs to resit their driving test. Its not an opinion, its fact. The right lane is for turning right. When you join the traffic and you want to carry on towards the Claddagh you must join the left lane. Your way is both wrong and inconsiderate. I bet you skip queues in shops and bank machines too. Shame sir, shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I agree with KevR about “zip merging” – it’s been studied elsewhere and shown help reduce traffic congestion generally. However, because of the way the Dock Road is laid out, it still “feels” wrong to do it. I don’t do it, and I do feel resentment towards those who do. Not logical, I know. It seems like there will always be people who think that their needs are more important than yours, or anyone else’s, and I think that’s what bugs people.

While we’re ranting about traffic and driver behaviour....

The pedestrian lights at the Aldi junction in Westside - I drive there and I walk there. Cars turning left from Old Seamus Quirke Road ignore the pedestrian light, almost without exception, so if you’re trying to cross the road, the “green man” doesn’t count. And if you’re driving and you do stop at the red light, the idiot behind you will beep at you to try to make you break the red light, and get all annoyed when you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Eeden wrote: »

The pedestrian lights at the Aldi junction in Westside - I drive there and I walk there. Cars turning left from Old Seamus Quirke Road ignore the pedestrian light, almost without exception, so if you’re trying to cross the road, the “green man” doesn’t count. And if you’re driving and you do stop at the red light, the idiot behind you will beep at you to try to make you break the red light, and get all annoyed when you don't.

Simple Solution is to put in a Zebra crossing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rareroastbeef

samdeman wrote: »
    EXACTLY. nine times out of ten i get to cut in first time. the other times i still make progress from where i was. i have never had to wait more than three cars before someone lets me in. i like those odds so i will keep doing it. just because some of you don't agree with me doesn't make it wrong. i have read the rules of the road and nowhere does it say its wrong or illegal.
    ps- for you rightlaners, going through the university cuts some time off your journey going through newcastle towards cathedral in heavy traffic

It just makes whoever does it a bad driver as they are driving incorrectly and in the wrong lane.

There is a clear arrow marked on the road for you to merge just after the lights.

Nobody's jealous. They just think 'What a siht driver' and an arrogant idiot. They also think how bad mannered it is. How a person uses the road reflects on how they are in life and how they were brought up.

Unfortunately some may have big cars but were brought up with no regard for others and no manners at all. Similar to those guys who straddle two parking spaces, that is good for them as it gives them lost of space each side, but it's also pig ignorant. Being ignorant is a handicap people like that will carry with them in life. I blame the parents :)

Enjoy getting in first if it's that important to you. By the way running red lights gets you there quicker and you have a slim chance of the guards catching you, try that. Oh, come to think of it was it you flying through the red lights while I was trying to turn right also. Same m.o.

By the way the reason you usually get in so easily, is that you are dealing with people who were brought up well to have manners, aren't ignorant and are generally more relaxed and contented about things.

That's why they let assohles in.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

It just makes whoever does it a bad driver as they are driving incorrectly and in the wrong lane.

There is a clear arrow marked on the road for you to merge just after the lights.

Nobody's jealous. They just think 'What a siht driver' and an arrogant idiot. They also think how bad mannered it is. How a person uses the road reflects on how they are in life and how they were brought up.

Unfortunately some may have big cars but were brought up with no regard for others and no manners at all. Similar to those guys who straddle two parking spaces, that is good for them as it gives them lost of space each side, but it's also pig ignorant. Being ignorant is a handicap people like that will carry with them in life. I blame the parents :)

Enjoy getting in first if it's that important to you. By the way running red lights gets you there quicker and you have a slim chance of the guards catching you, try that. Oh, come to think of it was it you flying through the red lights while I was trying to turn right also. Same m.o.

By the way the reason you usually get in so easily, is that you are dealing with people who were brought up well to have manners, aren't ignorant and are generally more relaxed and contented about things.

That's why they let assohles in.....;)
    Well said

• Advertisement

Eeden wrote: »

Those lights are flawed though. The only time you can get onto the road turning left is when they are red. They only turn red when the cars in the next lane are going in the opposite direction.
    I can't believe after 2/3/4 years they never bothered to fix them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Simple Solution is to put in a Zebra crossing here.

There is one the drivers just ignore it. Almost universally ignored, I make a point of staring at the drivers while I cross when the man is green to see if any of them will toot their horn. None of them do,they all know they are in the wrong to drive through the ped crossing while there is a red light to them but they do it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Fiddlesnap wrote: »
    Sounds like someone needs to resit their driving test. Its not an opinion, its fact. The right lane is for turning right. When you join the traffic and you want to carry on towards the Claddagh you must join the left lane. Your way is both wrong and inconsiderate. I bet you skip queues in shops and bank machines too. Shame sir, shame!

Are you sure? I would have thought that up until there is a right only arrow on the road/sign and as long as the line seperating the lanes is broken then you can cross over and back as much as you want.

Think this one comes down to courtesy which most irish motorists dont have, exact same applies to motorway driving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

There is one the drivers just ignore it. Almost universally ignored, I make a point of staring at the drivers while I cross when the man is green to see if any of them will toot their horn. None of them do,they all know they are in the wrong to drive through the ped crossing while there is a red light to them but they do it anyways.

The point I was making is that for all road users the best option would be a Zebra Crossing. I dont see why the pedestrians should have to wait on this arm of the junction for a green light. Why should vechicular traffic have to stop at a red light if no pedestrians are crossing. The best option would be amber flashing lights and a zebra crossing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Those lights are flawed though. The only time you can get onto the road turning left is when they are red. They only turn red when the cars in the next lane are going in the opposite direction.
    I can't believe after 2/3/4 years they never bothered to fix them.

Not true @ OldSeamusQuirke They only turn red when the pedestrian light is activated. Cars can turn left if the crossing has not been activated as the lights remain flashing amber. It is a pretty busy crossing though.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Not true @ OldSeamusQuirke They only turn red when the pedestrian light is activated. Cars can turn left if the crossing has not been activated as the lights remain flashing amber. It is a pretty busy crossing though.

They turn red anyway, whether there is somebody crossing or not.

When the cars in the next lane get the green light to turn right, the flashing amber turns to red.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

EXACTLY. nine times out of ten i get to cut in first time. the other times i still make progress from where i was. i have never had to wait more than three cars before someone lets me in. i like those odds so i will keep doing it. just because some of you don't agree with me doesn't make it wrong. i have read the rules of the road and nowhere does it say its wrong or illegal.
    ps- for you rightlaners, going through the university cuts some time off your journey going through newcastle towards cathedral in heavy traffic

I will be looking out for you and not budging an inch.......best of luck at douche academy, I'm sure you'll graduate with flying colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

I will be looking out for you and not budging an inch.......best of luck at douche academy, I'm sure you'll graduate with flying colours.
    i usually pass that way around 435pm most eves. i drive a 08 g black range rover. give me a honk if you see me try to get in! if you dont let me in the next guy will!!
    ps- am i right in saying you are american??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

i usually pass that way around 435pm most eves. i drive a 08 g black range rover. give me a honk if you see me try to get in! if you dont let me in the next guy will!!

You are right in saying that I'm bored of this conversation, good day to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

You are right in saying that I'm bored of this conversation, good day to you sir.
    where did i say you were bored? does being american automatically mean you are bored? was i right? you are american, aren't you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Nearly crashed into the back of a car yesterday at 4pm when he pulled in at high speed in front of me at the top of the right lane. :mad:

Love to report the driver but there is no point, my word against his.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

id say if you stood there all day you would see that as a daily occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Nearly crashed into the back of a car yesterday at 4pm when he pulled in at high speed in front of me at the top of the right lane. :mad:

Love to report the driver but there is no point, my word against his.

There's at least one CCTV camera around that corner there that might have captured it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Dr. McManus - is it you ????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dilallio wrote: »
    Dr. McManus - is it you ????

Oh Noes ....but BUT but that cúnt was banned wasn't he???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Oh Noes ....but BUT but that cúnt was banned wasn't he???

Hopefully, although his nonsense was slightly amusing on boring days.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

id say if you stood there all day you would see that as a daily occurence.

Pitty the shades don't.

Advertisement