Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple/pear trees in pots

Options
  • 11-02-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, was hoping to get one or 2 of the rootballed fruit trees that are in Aldi at the moment. We're currently renting though, and would be hoping that we could plant these trees in large pots for a year or 2 (or 3?) until we buy somewhere we can put them down properly in the ground - the idea would be to get a bit of a headstart on having decent sized trees ready to go.
    Does anyone know if this is feasible or not?
    Cheers
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

kenmc wrote: »
    Just a quick question, was hoping to get one or 2 of the rootballed fruit trees that are in Aldi at the moment. We're currently renting though, and would be hoping that we could plant these trees in large pots for a year or 2 (or 3?) until we buy somewhere we can put them down properly in the ground - the idea would be to get a bit of a headstart on having decent sized trees ready to go.
    Cheers
    K

Sorry cant help with your query but was just wondering about the trees. Have Aldi got pear and apple trees ? and how much are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

kenmc wrote: »
    Cheers
    K

Should be no problem but make sure to plant trees in good sized pots filled with plenty of good free draining topsoil. Compost no good. Check regularly to ensure trees remain firm as young trees are very vunerable to wind rock. Also water and feed regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

might get few of them myself. are any of them more suited to wettish/boggy soil than others or do they all dislike it equally:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

km79 wrote: »
    might get few of them myself. are any of them more suited to wettish/boggy soil than others or do they all dislike it equally:D

Was wondering the same thing myself. I was thinking of getting 10 or 20 for a boggish area of ground to have a bit of an orchard but am unsure if the soil is suitable:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement