Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My laptop PC blew up need to rescue stuff on the hardrive

Options
  • 11-02-2011 1:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

My laptop blew up. Think it was the either processor burning out or it could have been the mother board.

It may or may not be fixable - but I maybe able to recover stuff from the hard drive.

It was using Ableton on it. Anyone know which folders are essential to rescue the environment - how do I know I'm grabbing all the essential files for a project etc (samples and stuff where are they?). Where is all the essential stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If its just power surge type damage, the hard drive is most likely fine. So you should be able to recover everything.

Dunno about ableton though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I think it was a power surge. The motherboard is fried. I can install Ableton on a new machine - but I'm really pissed about having to rebuild the environment. In future I must make a back up of the whole thing. Still it'll give me a chance to rebuild everything. and start from scratch again, with better organisation.

I'm getting a very similar machine on Tuesday.

I'm thinking of keeping the old hard drive - which is more or less the same as the new one

But they're not precisely the same machine. So I don't know how much ****e I'd have to go through to get it working properly.

I'm in two minds.

A lot less than starting fresh!

Thanks.

I think that's the way I'll go.

I've trying to calculate how much time and pain I'd have to go through.

One thing I have noticed. Pretty decent second hand laptops are begining to appear for dirt cheap. If I could afford it (which at the moment I can't) it would be great to have a few, all setup differently. Or have machines I could completely wipe down and rebuild. Or dedicate each one to a specific genre.

I think decent enough laptops may start turning up for €100 to even €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

try get a loan of a hdd dock, pull out your hard drive and plug it in. you should be able to get everything back then

• Advertisement

rayzercork wrote: »
    try get a loan of a hdd dock, pull out your hard drive and plug it in. you should be able to get everything back then

That's what I did. The new machine wouldn't take the old harddrive.

Now I have to go through the painful looking process of putting my ableton environment back to close as I had it. 18 gig in total of different files - most of which is useless junk - but a few gig of crucial stuff.

Did you select what device to boot from in the bios?

The guy was doing that bit not me - but it half booted into windows and couldn't recognise devices on the boards.

I'm happy enough with the new machine. It's a little better in some ways.

BUT

I copied 18gb from the old disk and am missing some of my old tracks - where the f could they have got to. The guy is keeping the disc for a few days - it's my fault, the way I was managing my projects. But I'm not sure where the other files went.

Advertisement