Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot setup O2 broadband on Windows Server 2008 R2

Options
  • 11-02-2011 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey!

Yesterday I bought prepay broadband modem (Huawei E1752) and tried to set it up on Windows Server 2008 R2 without success. After inserting it into USB, all the drivers seem to get installed okay, device is ready and then setup starts as expected. But then somewhere in the middle of the process device get disconnected and connected again (I can see that by disappearing and reappearing icon in the tray) which I doubt very much to be expected behavior. Anyways, setup doesn't report any error but something is obviously wrong because it doesn't prompt me for PIN value and installed program cannot connect to internet: network cannot be found and call is terminated immediately after trying to connect.

So what the hell is going on here? :) Is it possible that Windows Server is not even supported by O2? Broadband support shouldn't be a problem because I also have Vodafone broadband installed and it works very well (except for the Skype blocking issues which is the only reason I went for O2 btw).

Any ideas anybody? And please don't tell me to re-install O2/Vodafone software, re-boot, change USB ports and so on. Been trying all that for more than 3 hours...

Big thanks
    j.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

is the connection manager 64bit compatible??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jpsxx

Have no idea, but probably it is 64 bits compatible since it gets installed and launches successfully. Nowhere in manual (if you can call that piece of paper a 'manual') or O2 support website (if you can call that support - there's useful video on how to plug modem into USB port though :)) I couldn't find any info on 32/64 OS requirements.

Stupid one, but have you AVG installed??? Can you uninstall and try?

nope, no anti-virus, firewalls, bit lockers, virtualizations, no nothing. clean wins install...

Clean so :-)
    What version of connection manager?
    One of the versions allows you either turn on/off "Software Installation Mode". Maybe your modem is stuck in that, and as such isn't picking up as a network interface.
    Any firmware updates available for the modem. Have checked the Huawei website but can't find the 1752..

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks for the tip with "software installation mode", will try that later.

And yes, I was also looking for firmware in vain. Really can't understand why O2 doesn't have these files available on their website (I think they have them for models E170, E220, E270) and why do I even need to look for them on Huawei website (basically I have nothing with that company, I gave my money to O2!).

And their "help and support" site is more or less useless. No information or files, very hard to find anything and I cannot even post message to forum because you need to register with password which you can receive when you're successfully connected. Which I can't...

Have a look here...
    http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Broadband-and-Broadband-Coverage/Weird-problem-with-the-E1752/td-p/89243/highlight/true

Some other people having trouble with that modem.. Couple of firmware links in it, that might help...

Sorry we didn't get a fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

If the drivers have installed OK then a manual Dial Up connection should work fine all you need to do is google for info on the AT command you need to use to get send the APN info something like at+cgdcont=1,”IP”,”APNgoesHere”

Advertisement