Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband facilities disabled: Help needed

• 11-02-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi, I recently brought my Samsung notebook to London and tried to connect to my friend's broadband; though accidentally connected briefly to another, protected one. As soon as i noticed the mistake, I realised that the broadband facility of my computer was disabled - even the connectivity icon is gone, replaced by a type of square with an x on it.

Having searched the computer for a solution I can't find anything. Does anybody know if I could fix this problem myself, or even if it was caused by trying to connect to an unknown service?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

Hi, I recently brought my Samsung notebook to London and tried to connect to my friend's broadband; though accidentally connected briefly to another, protected one. As soon as i noticed the mistake, I realised that the broadband facility of my computer was disabled - even the connectivity icon is gone, replaced by a type of square with an x on it.

Having searched the computer for a solution I can't find anything. Does anybody know if I could fix this problem myself, or even if it was caused by trying to connect to an unknown service?

Thanks in advance,

Brian
    if it was protected you could not connect to it. and if your broadband facility is disabled you could not connect to any broadband as far as i know

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you by any chance accidentally turn your wireless off? Have you tried to connect by ethernet since?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

dub45 wrote: »
    Did you by any chance accidentally turn your wireless off? Have you tried to connect by ethernet since?

Don't think I did - I tried to enable it again in a number of ways but neither the wireless switch on the computer nor the wireless enable function within control panel seem to work. Could be a hardware problem?

Not sure exactly what the ethernet is, sorry. How do I connect to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

sounds weird but yeah i woulda guessed also totry going into device properties and making sure the wire;ess network card is enabled could be as simple as that

on windows its usually in control panel > system properties > device manager, scroll down and find network adapters and make sure its enabled

sounds like u tried it tho :|

ethernet is just a the wire you would use to connect the laptop to the router in a normal way

sounds like u tried it tho :|

Yep, no luck, sadly. The 'enable' button doesn't work.
    Thanks anyway

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm not quite sure what I just did, but I followed -=a=-'s advice roughly, took a detour somewhere and fixed it! :)
    Thanks to everyone who responded - I'm a much happier man now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Sometimes the comp needs a restart or a log on or there's a program in the background f'n it up, it happens to me on my xp machine sometimes... plugging out the usb wifi dongle and trying it again fixes it sometimes

if it happens again, just disable/enable the adapter or log off/restart and try it again

glad you figured it none the less!

Advertisement