Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which wireless adapter?

Options
  • 11-02-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

I have UPC 20mb, with cisco all in one router (very basic home network)
    windows 7 desktop pc (Core i5 2500 sandy bridge cpu)

I am wondering which wireless adapter to get. It needs to be able to pick signal from groundfloor to attic. The Linksy Cisco usb adapter I have is mega garbage.

I heard that PCI are better than usb ?

Could someone please recommend one for me ?
    preferably from here

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=803&search.reset=1&search.sKey=
    Thanks

TK

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

To be honest I have went through about 7 usb wireless adapters in the last 2 years and haven't been happy with any of them. In the end I ended up running a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

yep, there crap.
    How about the pci cards ? I heard they were superior to usb,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

have to agree with gonzo, if you can do it at all run a cat5 cable, it cuts out all that wireless nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Unfortunately a cable run is not an option as the computer is up in the attic conversion, so I'm stuck with wireless.

My laptop signal is so much better than my USB adapter on the PC, (better being consistent speeds, fast cold boot connection to router, no bloat software etc) ? I have concluded this to being the built in wireless so I am desperate to find something that is comparable,

Advertisement