Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip-off alert

Options
  • 11-02-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to anybody new to technology not to shop in this particular store for pc components. Dont know if I can mention the name but its in the Blanchards town shopping center over on the atlantic home care side.

They have a nvidia 9800 gt for an absolutely outrageous price of €195

How can they get away with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

The only thing 'that shop' is good for is case fan screws, diodes and batterys. Nothing else. Does 'this shop' start with "Ma" and end with a "plin"? ;) Six months ago they were selling a 8600 GTS for 150 euro. That was released in early 2007 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

jme2010 wrote: »
    Just a warning to anybody new to technology not to shop in this particular store for pc components. Dont know if I can mention the name but its in the Blanchards town shopping center over on the atlantic home care side.

They have a nvidia 9800 gt for an absolutely outrageous price of €195

How can they get away with this?

Local shop had a 7600GS for 157 euros ... was in there a few weeks later to grab some ****ty cable.. and it was gone... oh .. sweet.. god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

it likely is. As an ex employee, though, can i ask, do you folks think its US (the staff) who decide the prices? i walked several people through the building process and then got abused by folks because of the outragous prices, despite advising them to use better and cheaper sites.

Send your complaints to the Company headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

folan wrote: »
    it likely is. As an ex employee, though, can i ask, do you folks think its US you decide the prices? i walked several people through the building process and then got abused by folks because of the outragous prices, despite advising them to use better and cheaper sites.

Send your complaints to the Company headquarters.

I have no idea what that means.

But yes, Maplins are a total and utter rip off when it comes to PC components (among other things).

They usually have out of date / obsolete hardware being sold for ludicrous prices.

Even things like HDD's and ram are priced stupidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

clarified. bad memories of a retail time made me type badly.

Why do you think I would point people at good online stores? got us into some trouble as staff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I was in the Galway store before Christmas and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the older Xbox 360 WiFi adapter (white) for €165. :eek: If I remember correctly it was on offer at Smiths at the time for €49.99

I did mention it to one of the lads I know there & he just shrugged his shoulders & said "I know I know".

There are countless examples of their ridiculous prices but I think the worst aspect is the fact that they ship all the obsolete stuff over to Ireland thinking that they are dealing with total retards & then have the audacity to double or triple the prices too :mad:

They staff there must all have been highly trained in how to keep a straight face :D (that's a stab at the company by the way and not the staff)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

I was in PC world the other day and they had a powercolour 5770 graphics for 255€ which is 150€ dearer than the 5770 I've just ordered. They then had the audacity to have "We won't be beaten on price" motto-thing on the price tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

It was only a few days ago that i saw them selling this exact same battery

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YUASA-12V-7AH-ELEC-TOY-CAR-ALARM-UPS-BATTERY-NP7-12-/110587482281?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Outdoor_Toys_ET&hash=item19bf8710a9

.. for the low low price of 59 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

That's an awful lot for a 9800GT. If I'm not mistaken I paid around €150 or so for the HD4870 I currently have, which I've had since a couple of months are that particular card came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

For the most part, bricked retailers will have outdated hardware, and higher prices than online.
    If you don't move the product, you have to give it shelf space, and if you have to five shelf space to a product, it costs you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

they tried to sell me a tv aerial cable (the one from the socket on the wall to the back of the tv for analogue tv - don't know the proper name (coaxial :o )) for €22...
    said no - f**k off

went to another shop nearer home - €2.50 :eek:

took another trip in to price internal hard drives for my laptop - think I could get about 320gb max for in or around €200 if i remember correctly - went online
    and got a 750GB for €91 including postage

don't think i'll be returning again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    took another trip in to price internal hard drives for my laptop - think I could get about 320gb max for in or around €200 if i remember correctly - went online
    and got a 750GB for €91 including postage

don't think i'll be returning again

Friend of mine got a 500gb laptop drive in there for 25 euro last year.
    Good deal, but I think it was just the one he said.

Advertisement