Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

It's my birthday today and the OH grabbed me some stuff from ELF:)

Stipple brush - Really nice brush for the price, good value if a little synthetic.
    Fan brush - Lovely and gentle, feels like it may shed, but happy with it.

Shimmering facial whip in toasted - this is more watery than I expected, but a nice bronzing colour, pigmentation good for the price.

Mineral foundation in fair - lovely yellow toned powder, NC25 mac type colour, perfect for me. Light coverage though.

Bronzing powder in luminescence - nice highlighter, not a bit bronze, more pearlescent. I likey!

Studio Lip stain in First date and red carpet - suprised at the colour payoff on these after mixed reviews, love both colours, first date is a lovely coral pink and red carpet is a nice blue toned red. It doesn't stain as such, but it tints and lasts about 3 hours on. Good for the price, I'd recommend.

All over cover stick - this is brillo. Great coverage, lasts well, will be a staple from now on.

The OH ordered these with the help of the top ten lists on youtube for elf products, and they are some of the best. I'd get a lip pencil for the lip stain, it bleeds a little. I'm delighted with the haul.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

120408.jpg

Chanel Eyebrow Sculpt Pencil. I think it was about €25, can't be sure, my mam picked it up.

It is excellent! The pencil is kind of waxy so it allows you to really get a shape on them. The brush is very handy also. Having used the regular Chanel eyebrow pencil in the past, I would definitely choose the Sculpt one in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Okay my boyfriend made me boy stuff from elf today.

Total Face Brush - 1.70
    1804_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Foundation Brush - 1.70
    1801_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Blushing, Bronzing and Blending Brush - 1.70
    1805_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Eyeshadow Brush - 1.70
    1815_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Lip Defining Brush - 1.70
    1806_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Defining Eye Brush - 1.70
    1809_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Concealer Brush - 1.70
    1821_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Eyeliner Brush - 1.70
    1814_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Blending Eye Brush - 1.70
    1803_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

Liquid Eyeliner - 1.70 each
    Black
    4203_prodswatch.jpg

Midnight
    4204_prodswatchv2.jpg

Lipstick - 1.70
    Gypsy
    7704_lipstick_rollover(1).jpg

Nailpolish - 1.70 each
    Dark Navy
    1543_ROLLOVER(1).jpg

Champagne
    1506%20ROLLOVERa.jpg

Phew! That was lots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

What are the normal elf brushes like? I've only used the studio line which are quite good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

lizt wrote: »
    What are the normal elf brushes like? I've only used the studio line which are quite good!
    I love them!

I have a concealer brush and one of the other brushes (can't remember what one) and I love them, the other brush I have I used (before I lost it somewhere in the house) I used for powder/bronzer and it is just as good as my Bobbi Brown brush.

I personally think the only difference between ELF and more expensive brands is the price.

I have another ELF brush (its a black one, so studio line I think) and it it good, but the bristles come off, that said, I've had a few bristles come off my BB brush, not many bristles though.

I'd definitely recommend trying ELF before going out and buying more expensive brushes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

I have three, the contouring brush, the eyeshadow brush and the fan brush, and for the price I think they are good!

The contouring brush is a little scratchy, but I use a 2-in-1 shampoo conditioner to wash my brushes with and that has softened it. Works great, perfect shape to contour or add a pop of blush. I like it best to apply powder highlighter because it is quite small.

I LOVE the eyeshadow brush, perfect for packing on colour. It's just great. No more to be said, beats brushes I have spent 10 times the money on.

I don't really use the fan brush much. Good for putting on sheer washes of blush if working with a strong colour, putting loose powder under the eyes, or wiping away fallout. It's handy to have but I don't use it every day. The ELF one is quite flimsy; I don't have any other fan brushes but I understand they are supposed to be pretty flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Was going to splurge out on an expensive face moisturiser with spf today but decided against it and bought Nivea Visage daily essentials light day cream (normal/combination) for €2.43 in Tesco instead. Will post back with a review in a few days.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYYd8pp5MoomlolWwE3Ry4AW_6tMI3MClzYKh9EjUVcX9fz3cazA

Going to use the money I saved to buy some Eco Tools brushes from iherb instead, they get great review and are quite cheap. (will post back with the ones I pick later!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTrhaG9qW5uuCEZqMBqegxYoiXAViqSjbjn91SwmdY-SICQtg0fQLoreal Lash Architect 4Dmascara

I had never heard of this new mascara until I saw it in Boots today and I can never resist trying a new mascara, love them.

Cant wait to try it tomorrow :D

Also bought 2 Natural Collection eyeshadows, they are brill, so easy to blend, got one dark brown and one shimmery brown. cheap as chips too!
    Maybelline Dream Touch Lumi concealer
    No7 Intelligent colour foundation

Essence All Eyes On Me Mascara - got home and realised the blooming thing had been used:( So I've to bring it back on Monday.

I got the one in the Black tube.

essence-all-eyes-on-me-mascara.jpg

Essence Maximum Definition Mascara - Haven't used it yet, will report back here when I do.

max-definition.jpg

Essence gel liner brush - used this tonight (very quickly) when I got home from town and so far I am very impressed with it.

I am useless at applying gel eyeliner, but with this I got it almost perfect and in less than 5 mins for both eyes. With my Bobbi Brown gel liner brush it takes me about 10 mins to to both eyes.

GelEyelinerBrush_new_01.png?1300261544

No.7 Pillar nail varnishes - €1.75 (€7.50 voucher + student discount yay)

Pillarbox

10213985b35d.jpg

Berrylicious, can't seem to find a swatch of this, it's a nice deep pink colour. I'll try get a swatch if anyone wants one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Eviledna wrote: »

The OH ordered these with the help of the top ten lists on youtube for elf products, and they are some of the best. I'd get a lip pencil for the lip stain, it bleeds a little. I'm delighted with the haul.:D

That is so thoughtful of your OH :)

The bronzer/highlighter sounds fab, will have to pick it up and also the shimmering facial whip.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Ok, I picked up some catrice/essence stuff the other day

d64dbfa531.png

Got this powder in translucent. I'm very impressed. It's nice and light and i think it smells really nice. It has light reflecting particles so I'd imagine it photographs wel. I'm going to use it over my foundation but my skin is a bit of a mess at the minute so I will update you on how that goes.

Catrice-eyebrow-set.jpg

Catrice Eyebrow set, I really like this. I think it was around 4.50. The tweezers are crap, but that's just my preference, they're too short for me. The actual colours are really good. I have the elf eyebrow set

eyebrow+kit.JPG

and I find I get little or no colour out of it.Catrice definitely beats elf on this occasion!

catrice-nov-lash-plush.png

Also picked up some of the lash growth serum along with lash growth mascara (sold seperately). I really like the mascara, it gives a nice natural look. Can't really comment on the serum as I have only been using it for a few days but I'll let you know.

317108_1.jpg

Picked up essence eye liner in black and brown. So far I've only used the black and I wasn't overly impressed. You really need a lot of it to build up any colour. It's also not as waxy as I'd like so I'll stick to my urban decay eyeliner for now. Having said that, it was only 1.50 (i think) so I can't complain too much!

Picked up two catrice foundations - infinite matt and photo finish. Haven't had a chance to test them out as my skin is in bits from my acne treatment but first thoughts - the infinite matt smells so much nicer than the photo finish!

essence-multi-action-false-lashes-mascara-id2097688.jpg

Essence false lashes mascara, picked it up on the recommendation of this thread and so far I love it! I usually use max factor but if this continue to impress me, I may switch!

That was pretty much it but my sister picked up some of the nail varnishes from catrice and she loves them. She said they give very good colour even with the first coat.

Still have a load of elf stuff to do a review on, so I'll go through my make up bag soon!

1837138.JPG

I couldn't find a picture of the exact nail polish I got but it was from the same brand as above Lacura beauty, I got it from ADLI and I have to say it is fantastic try it out for yourself.

Candy Pink - 304

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Picked up essence eye liner in black and brown. So far I've only used the black and I wasn't overly impressed. You really need a lot of it to build up any colour. It's also not as waxy as I'd like so I'll stick to my urban decay eyeliner for now. Having said that, it was only 1.50 (i think) so I can't complain too much!

The twisty Essence eyeliners are much better I think, they're a lot smoother than the pencils and go on a lot easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Berrylicious, can't seem to find a swatch of this, it's a nice deep pink colour. I'll try get a swatch if anyone wants one.
    would you mind getting a swatch? tried looking for one ages ago but couldnt find it so i didnt buy it :rolleyes:

musical.x wrote: »
    would you mind getting a swatch? tried looking for one ages ago but couldnt find it so i didnt buy it :rolleyes:
    Sure I will, I'll do it this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

jokettle wrote: »
    I'd love to know what their new skincare range is like! Let us know if it's any good :)

Got my benefit purchases and have to say that the face cream is really nice. Looks quite light but when you put it on feels really fab on my skin.

I have dry/normal skin and for the first time in ages, I was able to use a tinted moisturiser on my face with no flakes to be seen:D. Def worth buying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I've been trying out some of my new purchases (*quitely plugs own post in Latest Purchases Thread*) and the Bare Minerals starter kit is really good! Most days I don't need a huge amount of coverage, just a bit of redness on my chees needs addressing, and I think the Bare Minerals stuff is perfect for that. I'm pleasantly surprised :)

The only thing that has me slightly confused is that the kit include 2 different shades of foundation, and although I put one on each half of my face I can't say I notice any difference between them....perhaps this is a good thing? Maybe they both suit me, and blend so well that they're indistinguishable? Or maybe if I put more on for extra coverage I'd notice it more....not really sure. Either way, I'm happy with it and would recommend it :)

Sure I will, I'll do it this evening :)
    Here is the swatch. :)

Sorry it's not great. I have to say I am not at all impressed with this nail varnish (or most No.7 varnishes), I have two from Natural Collection that are much better than No.7 Berrylicious.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Cosmetics/P5290002.jpg

If you want, I can try get a better swatch tomorrow afternoon when it is brighter out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Here is the swatch. :)

Sorry it's not great. I have to say I am not at all impressed with this nail varnish (or most No.7 varnishes), I have two from Natural Collection that are much better than No.7 Berrylicious.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Cosmetics/P5290002.jpg

If you want, I can try get a better swatch tomorrow afternoon when it is brighter out.
    i agree they are not worth the 9 something they cost. i only buy them when boots have the vouchers out :D i thought it would be alot nicer or more original than it is. true no.7 quality is very bad. i found miss sporty to be far better and it costs less than 3€. thanks for the swatch! really appreciate it :)

20% off the www.eyeslipsface.co.uk website today! Use codes Bounty20UK (UK customers) or Bounty20EU at checkout.

A minimum spend of £10 applies (before shipping is added) and this code expires at 10am (UK time) on Wednesday 1 June 2011.

Italian customers please see the eyeslipsface.it facebook page for your exclusive 20% off code! :)

• Advertisement

I already posted a review on my blog but I'll put up the swatches for anyone interested in some of the products I got from elf.

I ordered on the Friday and got the package on the Monday which is very fast :)

Liquid Eyeliner in Black and Midnight
    252991_10150206679742259_833992258_6977629_397387_n.jpg

Swatches
    248441_10150206679517259_833992258_6977625_5173029_n.jpg

Nail polishes in Dark Navy and Champagne
    246666_10150206679607259_833992258_6977626_3769936_n.jpg

Dark Navy
    255061_10150206680817259_833992258_6977642_2177370_n.jpg

Champagne
    253446_10150206695437259_833992258_6977741_5221381_n.jpg

Also got lots of brushes but I still have yet to review them :D:D
    254561_10150206679872259_833992258_6977631_884862_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I finally treated myself to a M.A.C. brush, #217, and it was definitely worth it! Expensive, so I don't know when I'd buy another brush... Maybe ask for one or two on my birthday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Had acrylics recently and my nails are in shreds literally! Bough OPI Nail Envy Senstive and Peeling yesterday in boots reduced to €6! Bargain! Nails are looking so much better after one day!!

My nails are peeling and all ridged but this has smoothed them out and the varnish is sitting lovely even after one coat!

Have 2 coats of OPI on and one very messy application of Barry M Berry Icecream! LOVE this colour!!

My other giant fave Barry M polish is

161221.jpg

Excuse the funny face! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Just ordered some more stuff from iherb.com. Addicted to that site!

Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn & cucumber with Ester C Travel Kit
    AUB-77777-0.jpg
    Eco Tools 5 piece Brush set - These get GREAT reviews.
    ECT-01213-0.jpg
    Queen Helene original Mint Julep Masque

QHE-58579-0.jpg
    and not strictly a beauty buy - Tiger Balm - have heard great things about it
    TGB-31508-0.jpg

Essence Maximum Definition Mascara - Haven't used it yet, will report back here when I do.

max-definition.jpg
    Wore this today.

Lasted all day with smudging (it starting running down my face when I was going into town, that was because of the heat, it melted on my lashes).

Here is a small pic of my top lashes, this was after two coats of the essence mascara.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Cosmetics/Essence.jpg

Also in town a chemist had some Lancôme products reduced down to little or nothing.

I picked up two mascaras for €10 each, they are normally priced at €25 each, so pretty happy with the bargains.

I got the Lancome Amplicils Mascara - 02 Brun Panoramic

Here is a swatch of it on my top lashes.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Cosmetics/Lancome-Amplicils.jpg

I haven't worn it properly yet, when I do, I'll report back here.

Also got the Lancôme Flextencils Full Extension & Curving Mascara - 03 Bleu Flex

Here is a swatch of it on my lashes.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Cosmetics/Lancome-Flextencils.jpg

Again, like the Amplicils, I haven't worn it properly yet, when I do, I'll report back here.

I don't normally wear blue or brown mascaras but I am looking for a new mascara and said to myself for €10 each, they are worth a try.

Okay so my buying no makeup rule went out the window after I started browsing ebay lastnight :rolleyes:

Well technically I didn't buy any makeup products just a nailpolish :D

I've been mad to try out the Color Club Wicked Sweet collection and I won an auction lastnight after placing a bid I had forgot about.

The Lime Starts Here
    ccwickedsweet5.jpg

It comes in the Wicked Sweet collection there's a total of seven in all but the amazing thing about these polishes is that after they dry they have a sweet fruity smell :D:D

Very excited to try it and will post up a mini review here when I try it.. I MUST get them all :D:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQed7_1SnLwhkr_-OmsvT-XCjcMa4DQOLqZ-JlsvkKIVeiA3lG5

Won this on ebay for 2.56 free P&P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

lindtee wrote: »
    Just ordered some more stuff from iherb.com. Addicted to that site!

I have the ecotools concealer brush and its fantastic, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

After reading some good reviews I bought the Catrice 18h Photo Finish Foundation. I usually use maybelline but my skin has been dry for a while and all the maybelline foundations just completely highlight the dry spots. Anyway, for €7 I said i'd give Catrice a go and I have to say I love it! While it doesnt last 18 hours it goes on really nicely, my skin feels nice and moisturised and I can finally wear make-up without worrying about stupid flakey patches. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

another +1 for ecotools. I have the concealer brush and the blush brush. Both lovely. Was gonna buy the elf stipple brush but think I'll fork out an extra few quid and get the eco tools.

In red magazine this month they were giving free Jemma Kidd lipglosses. I've seen a lot of people on youtube talking about this brand so thought for a fiver it'd be good to try it. I got the pale pink one called 'petal'. There's also a coral coloured one and a bright red. It's nice, kinda milky looking when I put it on at first so I just dabbed it in with my finger. Lasts longer than my cheapo lipglosses! Magazine's rubbish though!

I also finally got round to getting the new maybelline dream touch blush, which seems to have replaced their dream mousse. It's absolutely gorgeous. I never need another blush again. Absolutely love it. I was a huge fan of the mousse one but these are just so much more beautiful. I got the colour berry. Lovely pigmentation, tiny bit of a shimmer. Did I mention it's beautiful :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

not exactly a review, but anyone here use bobbi brown foundation? is it any good and how much is it?

Advertisement