Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I got the Astalift luxury miniatures set recently.

I initially got it because I wanted to try out the star product 'Jelly Aquarysta' but after trying it a few times I haven't really figured out where to fit it into my skincare routine so I don't really have an opinion on that yet because I haven't tested it properly.

I wasn't a huge fan of the day or night cream but I have only tested them once.

However the complete make up remover oil is brilliant, I don't wear much make up but I am loving this and use it to cleanse even on days I don't wear make up, I will definitely purchase a full size bottle.

I also love the nurturing eye cream. I'm 26 so I don't have fine lines or wrinkles yet but I do have a little bit of dryness and this works great.
    5fc417074e9249499a548534b7211a42.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I've been using Alpha H liquid gold recently. I had bought it ages ago but I didn't really like it so I didn't touch it again until recently but I have started using it again now and I love it. I've been using it on its own every 3 nights.

222363.001?$uklarge$

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Got these recently:

Dermalogica Moisture balance - not impressed so far
    10365777-1357574262-381727.jpg

Trilogy rosehip - bit meh about this one. I don't have acne scarring or much redness so maybe it's just not fit for purpose. Might be more suited to a moisturizing/anti ageing serum

10557482-1383848265-921428.jpg

Decleor Rose D'orient night balm. Jury is out on this one. Feels a bit like rubbing vaseline on my face. Not sure if it moisturizes or just looks moisture in. Face does feel nice and soft in the morning though

10460757-1307381064-749136.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tayla wrote: »
    I've been using Alpha H liquid gold recently. I had bought it ages ago but I didn't really like it so I didn't touch it again until recently but I have started using it again now and I love it. I've been using it on its own every 3 nights.
    paulers06 wrote: »
    Trilogy rosehip - bit meh about this one. I don't have acne scarring or much redness so maybe it's just not fit for purpose. Might be more suited to a moisturizing/anti ageing serum

I've been dying to try out both these products, get out of my brain :pac:

I finally got a Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm, in Audacious. I adore the bright orange colour but it does cling to flaky lips something shocking!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4T_k2Qqpx4sobTl9avc2g3iFvCpm8bStyqXWJWCl9p0bAEesnWg
    Not my photo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Cymex cream is amazing for removing dry skin from lips, literally just rub it on and you will see the skin coming off so just wipe it away with a tissue, re-apply the cream and then apply the lipstick/gloss/whatever over the cream. It makes lipsticks appear more pigmented too I think. It's about a fiver in Boots I think. It lasts ages too as you only need a tiny, tiny amount per application so don't go loading it on.

IMAGE%205.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Cymex cream is amazing for removing dry skin from lips, literally just rub it on and you will see the skin coming off so just wipe it away with a tissue, re-apply the cream and then apply the lipstick/gloss/whatever over the cream. It makes lipsticks appear more pigmented too I think. It's about a fiver in Boots I think. It lasts ages too as you only need a tiny, tiny amount per application so don't go loading it on.

This is the only stuff that fixes my lips when they get chapped, it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Girls, I need recommendations for a good brow kit, currently growing mine in and my current ELF one is wearing off by 4pm..

Also, cannot recommend the no.7 mask I posted about enough.. it is amazing.

javagal wrote: »
    Girls, I need recommendations for a good brow kit, currently growing mine in and my current ELF one is wearing off by 4pm..

I know I always rave about it, but I love my Sleek Brow Kit! It's super easy to use and stays put all day, even with my greasy skin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Have the wet and wild brow set (the one with wax and two shades of powder) and its great.
    Carrice one is v good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I've been suffering with really dry skin for the last week or so. My skin is usually quite oily with a little dryness on my forehead, but this was extreme. I couldn't even wear foundation because it would look flakey on my nose and cheeks within an hour, it was disgusting. I went into the chemist and impulse bought La Roche Posay hydraphse masque, I didn't even research it before hand I was just desperate to try something. I only needed to use it once and my skin is back to normal, I really wasn't expecting such immediate results. It's been a couple of days since I used it and the effects seem to be lasting.

la-roche-posay-hydraphase-intens-masque_fr-thumb-1_500x500.jpg

My favorite brow kit is Smashbox, it's the only one I've found that is the perfect colour for mousy blond eyebrows and with the wax it lasts all day. It's kind of pricy but it lasts forever, I've had my current pot for about 6 months and it's not even half gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I love the wet n' wild one, I think the dark brown powder is a lovely shade and not at all red tinted like I found many of them to be. I find the wax good too but what I love putting over it is a clear mascara (I just use an essence one) and I find it really makes it last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

The urban decay one is really good. I recently bought gimme brow by benefit and I really love it. So quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Catrice one is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

After using up a tiny sample which I loved, I bought the full sized Clarins HydraQuench tinted moisturiser. Tinted moisturisers were never my thing, but this one is something else.

You only need a tiny amount, as the cream is so thick and luxurious. It provides a decent amount of coverage and has great staying power. It has a lovely perfumed scent. I'm thinking this is going to be my summer staple.

It was £30.00 but well worth it in my opinion. I don't think you would find a cheaper tinted moisturiser as amazing as this is.

I was going to buy a quad of MAC eyeshadows but, including the palette itself, it was going to cost something crazy like €58.50 (unless I calculated it wrong) so I got a palette of four eyeshadows in Inglot for €30 instead, as the quality is known to be very good. I chose the colours based on what I felt was missing from my Naked palette.

I got shades 376 (matte blue-grey), 450 (metallic cranberry), 329 (matte dark brown) and 43 (shimmery warm gold). They are nearly identical dupes for MAC colours, at just over half the price.

The quality of the shadows is great, very blendable and soft. I think I'll get another one soon! The girls in the South Anne street shop are lovely as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytt9b3ohw9qp477/2014-04-08%2009.33.57%201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I got the rimmel match perfection in light porcelain after reading on beaut.ie that it was a dupe for YSL le touch eclat foundation. I'm not sure that its that good but I do like it very much, its very dewy. Its been a long time since I've liked a budget brand foundation! Reviews are mixed oneline, it seems it either suits your skin or doesn't! I got it from Amazon and it worked out at about €6.80 but rimmel is currently 3 for 2 in boots.

541566_l.jpg

I had vouchers for boots so I bought the hyrdralauron that I've heard so much about here! I still have to finish my Visionnaire serum (use 2 times per day since January and stills still about half left! - its brilliant stuff!). Just wondering do I use this in addition to serum and moisturiser? Also got nanoblur before reading reviews (which are awful) but I'm going to chance it anyway!

10140287?wid=280&hei=343&op_sharpen=1article-2047147-0E4666C800000578-535_233x152.jpg

^^ I think you use hydraluron under moisturisers and serums to help your skin absorb them even more. I've never used it though, so I'm not sure how best to use it :)

use the hydraluron closest to your skin before serum and moisturiser.

I went to Lush today to buy the Mint Julips scrub, €6.75, can't wait to use it on my flaky lips.

http://www.lushusa.com/Mint-Julips/03057,en_US,pd.html

But then I saw the Cosmetic Warrior mask (€8.95) and had to buy it too :o

http://www.lushusa.com/Cosmetic-Warrior/06094,en_US,pd.html

And then I got a nice-sized sample of the almond oil Charity Pot Hand and Body Lotion, which smells divine!

http://www.lushusa.com/Charity-Pot/9999902674,en_US,pd.html#start=3

I also got the Bourjois Mega Liner, €9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I went to Lush today to buy the Mint Julips scrub, €6.75, can't wait to use it on my flaky lips.

http://www.lushusa.com/Mint-Julips/03057,en_US,pd.html

But then I saw the Cosmetic Warrior mask (€8.95) and had to buy it too :o

http://www.lushusa.com/Cosmetic-Warrior/06094,en_US,pd.html

And then I got a nice-sized sample of the almond oil Charity Pot Hand and Body Lotion, which smells divine!

http://www.lushusa.com/Charity-Pot/9999902674,en_US,pd.html#start=3

I also got the Bourjois Mega Liner, €9.99

I found those lush scrubs are just flavoured sugar! Could make your own..on a side note, I have terrible terrible lips, always dry and flaky even in summer..destroyed this winter..tried everything..(and nothing at stages to see if lips were 'addicted' to all the stuff id bought) ..still terribke. I started using bepanthan (ie nappy cream!) and have to say...the best thing ever! Lash it on at night, wake in morning and flakes just wipe away..only using three days at this stage but my lips are perfect! Paid about 6e in pharmacy for large tube of it,.brilliant!

• Advertisement

I found those lush scrubs are just flavoured sugar! Could make your own..on a side note, I have terrible terrible lips, always dry and flaky even in summer..destroyed this winter..tried everything..(and nothing at stages to see if lips were 'addicted' to all the stuff id bought) ..still terribke. I started using bepanthan (ie nappy cream!) and have to say...the best thing ever! Lash it on at night, wake in morning and flakes just wipe away..only using three days at this stage but my lips are perfect! Paid about 6e in pharmacy for large tube of it,.brilliant!

I'll try the Bepanthen if all else fails!

I just used the scrub there and I really like it. I don't mind paying less than €7 for something that works, considering the jar is fairly substantial :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

use the hydraluron closest to your skin before serum and moisturiser.

No, its the final step before moisturiser according to Caroline Hirons,

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

Got the La RochePosay effaclar duo + today as well as the purifying gel - chemist was doing both for € 20. I don't have very bad skin but do get breakouts around my mouth and chin so hoping this helps

302624.jpg

According to their own site you apply it closest to your skin before other products:

http://indeedlabs.com/hydraluron/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Just purchased the Avene Cleanance K gel in a hope to clean the gunge out of my pores. Didn't even know about this range until recently.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Avene-Cleanance-K-40ML_1574/

Can anyone recommend a sheer sunscreen - apparently the Neutrogena one that they sell in the US is the biz but all the ones for sale on ebay and amazon have very near expiry dates? I don't really want to spend more than 20e.

Have toyed with this one but some reviews say its heavy:
    Peter Thomas Roth Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Sunblock SPF 30
    http://www.salonskincare.co.uk/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/145/products_id/5188

^^ Oh can you let us know how you get on with the Avene Cleanance K?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

According to their own site you apply it closest to your skin before other products:

http://indeedlabs.com/hydraluron/

That's funny as she says the last step before moisturiser. I don't know if it matters much though

http://www.carolinehirons.com/2013/06/routines-cheat-sheet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Got this in Boots for €3

http://www.boots.ie/en/Avene-Cleanance-Mask-50ml_1342830/

Also got the Maybelline colour tattoo eyeshadow in Permanent Taupe.

2vj2bo9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've been on the lookout for a mascara similar to Avon's SuperFull. I used to love it so much and would buy ten at a time.

Then Avon left Ireland and I had to buy "ordinary" mascaras in Boots.
    What I liked about the Avon one was the wand.
    It was plastic and thin with little plastic nodules on it.

Today I was in Penneys and I had a look at their mascaras (Essence) and I was delighted to find a mascara that looked exactly the same!!
    It was called Essence Maximum Length (black and orange package) and it was only €2.49.
    I was thrilled, especially as the Avon one used to cost me €12.50.

I also bought Essence Nail Hardening Base, for €1.79, and it's brilliant.

Their Colour 'n' Go nail varnishes are fab too.

Also got a nude-coral matte lipcolour for €2.49 and the colour is just beautiful.

I think I'll give Essence a try when I need more makeup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I LOVE that mascara!

Advertisement