Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I am a big fan of NARS make up too, it's so beautiful! Orgasm is one of my favourite blushes but I'm definitely going to check that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

As a fellow very pale girl I can say I also love this foundation, I use it in Siberia and it's just lovely. Very yellow toned but I love that as it's great at counteracting the red tones in my skin!
    Would love to try sex appeal too, would you say it's natural enough on? I have orgasm and just find it a bit too peachy orange and shimmery for everyday!

I've never tried orgasm but it looks waaaay too orangey and shimmery for my skin tone. Sex appeal has no shimmer in it which suits me as I have acne scarring. I'm going makeup free for the next few days to give my skin a break but next time I put it on I'll take a selfie and put it up here for you to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

After much deliberation I've decided to invest in NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia and the blush in Douceur with my birthday money. Ye big load of enablers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

While on the topic of nars sheer glow can someone help me.. I'm a MAC nw 20 so what shade would I be in nars sheer glow? Any foundations I've seen online look very yellow based, and I am most certainly pink toned. Anyone able to help me? Really want this foundation but haven't a clue what shade I am and I don't live near a nars counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

keredern wrote: »
    Ditto!!

I ordered a load too.

It was dispatched today & I hope it will hit my ParcelMotel by Saturday.

My previous orders were very quick!

nursemar88 what goodies did you order? :)

Just loads.. I blame my fever from the flu!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

anna080 wrote: »
    While on the topic of nars sheer glow can someone help me.. I'm a MAC nw 20 so what shade would I be in nars sheer glow? Any foundations I've seen online look very yellow based, and I am most certainly pink toned. Anyone able to help me? Really want this foundation but haven't a clue what shade I am and I don't live near a nars counter.

They do shades for pink undertones. I reckon mont blanc is probably the closest to Mac's NW20, but you won't know for sure if it's right till you try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    After much deliberation I've decided to invest in NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia and the blush in Douceur with my birthday money. Ye big load of enablers :P

Little bit of advice would be to buy the pump for it as well. I think it's about €4 but well worth it as it can be quite messy otherwise! BT's tend to be out of stock of the pump very frequently and take ages to get back in stock so if they have it, grab one!!

And panda100 I would love to see the blush on you whenever you get a chance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

nursemar88 wrote: »
    Just loads.. I blame my fever from the flu!

Oh, gorgeous!!!!

You will love that highlighter...it's fab!

Those foils are divine but I'm too old for them sadly!!!

Is that lacquer "What I Believe"?

I got that one also & it's lovely.

I have quite a collection from MUR now...feeling quite chuffed with myself since I only started being interested in makeup (well, more than just foundation & mascara!) in April this year & I'm 47!!!!

I got the Sugar & Spice palette in this order & I love it! :)

Also got the Give Them Nightmares palette & it's lush!:D

I'll try to post a pic of the order asap. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Bought the YSL Le touch eclat foundation earlier this year and only got around to using it a few weeks ago. I had used a tester of it last year and thought it was the bees knees/cats pyjamas etc etc. It left my skin looking smooth and glowy. However I have found it awful this time. Seems to oxidise into a completly different colour and makes my skin look dull and greasy and old:(:( Don't know why its so different on me this time.

Going to stick to the only 2 foundations that I have found that I really like, Double wear in Shell and Studio Fix in NW10.

Recent purchases: Benefit-world-famous-neutrals-easiest-nudes-ever-eyeshadow-kit . I am totally rubbish at applying eye makeup properly so hoping that this may help me! Got it for £18.50 from Asos (sold out now though)
    10666794-1358960305-998382.jpg

Ordered 2 Clinique dramatically different moisturising lotions at €11.50 each and got the below gift. It wouldn't be one of my favourite moisturisers but at €23 for 60ml and the free gift it is good enough. Plus my skin tends to get very dry around this time of year so it should suit it.
    CLI109-2.jpg?1383824408

Clinique_TCAT_Hero_ScheduleLarge.jpg

Also got a few makeup revolution things from superdrug. Good for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Lindtee that happened with the ysl foundation for me too :(
    Thought i was imagining it tbh, was my third bottle and it just seemed off, very orange/pink whereas before it had been a perfect match. Tried warming it first, using beauty blender, primer, no primer, shaking the bottle, powder, no powder... just isn't working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Tasden wrote: »
    Lindtee that happened with the ysl foundation for me too :(
    Thought i was imagining it tbh, was my third bottle and it just seemed off, very orange/pink whereas before it had been a perfect match. Tried warming it first, using beauty blender, primer, no primer, shaking the bottle, powder, no powder... just isn't working!

That's strange isn't it? They must have made a change to the formulation or something:(

lindtee wrote: »
    That's strange isn't it? They must have made a change to the formulation or something:(

Yeah it feels and smells the same it just seems slightly different, wish I'd known if they did change it before I bought it

I bought these yesterday, am wearing them today and they're gorgeous. Siberia is the tiniest bit too pale on first application, but I know it will warm up after a few hours on my skin. And Douceur is very flattering, it sculpts out cheekbones like no other blusher I've tried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Is Siberia more suited to pink or yellow toned skin?

I thought someone here said theyve pink tone skin and the yellow in the Siberia shade offset that nicely?

I have to order it online as its not stocked locally so any advice would be appreacitated..I have type one very pale skin that seems to have pink tones

Is Siberia more suited to pink or yellow toned skin?

I thought someone here said theyve pink tone skin and the yellow in the Siberia shade offset that nicely?

I have to order it online as its not stocked locally so any advice would be appreacitated..I have type one very pale skin that seems to have pink tones

I have very yellow-toned skin, but like that, some people find that yellow tones can help to counteract redness. Tbh I'd say it'd work with yellow tones better (even though it's technically neutral), but maybe Mont Blanc might work better? It's a pale one with pink undertones.

This blog gives a good swatch: http://krissy00417.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/nars-sheer-glow-mont-blanc/

I have very yellow-toned skin, but like that, some people find that yellow tones can help to counteract redness. Tbh I'd say it'd work with yellow tones better (even though it's technically neutral), but maybe Mont Blanc might work better? It's a pale one with pink undertones.

This blog gives a good swatch: http://krissy00417.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/nars-sheer-glow-mont-blanc/

Seems like a good balance, will look into that one seriously..thanks

Yeah I always find foundation with pink undertones just make me look very pink and much prefer yellow based to make me look a little more skin coloured :pac: but is that the "wrong" thing to do?

Before I started using decent (MAC) stuff all fundations just seemed like shades of brown and they all looked awful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Yeah I always find foundation with pink undertones just make me look very pink and much prefer yellow based to make me look a little more skin coloured :pac: but is that the "wrong" thing to do?

Are you sure your skin has pink undertones? Having patches of redness on the face doesn't mean you have pink undertones, lots of people with yellow undertones have facial redness. You could also have neutral undertones which can be really hard to tell.

If you have pink undertones and use a yellow based foundation then your neck and face will be totally different colours, and the same vice versa.

If you really do have pink undertones then using a yellow or green based concealer to cover up any redness under your foundation might be a better solution. Or a yellow or green primer.

Are you sure your skin has pink undertones? Having patches of redness on the face doesn't mean you have pink undertones, lots of people with yellow undertones have facial redness. You could also have neutral undertones which can be really hard to tell.

If you have pink undertones and use a yellow based foundation then your neck and face will be totally different colours, and the same vice versa.

If you really do have pink undertones then using a yellow or green based concealer to cover up any redness under your foundation might be a better solution. Or a yellow or green primer.

Definitely pink toned :)

No redness really as the foundation/concealer covers any little redness I would have. I use a yellow toned body foundation in a light shade or else self tan during the summer so it matches that, and in winter I tend to just use a bb cream cause the one I use has a bit of a grey cast so it matches my deathly pale body :pac:

• Advertisement

On the Brown Thomas site they have 'Mont Blanc-Light 2'. Is that the same thing? :/

To be honest, whatever creates the best match between your face and neck is the best option. All you can really do is try out foundations with both undertones and get a good look at your jawline in a mirror right in front of a mirror.

On the Brown Thomas site they have 'Mont Blanc-Light 2'. Is that the same thing? :/

Yep that's the one I was talking about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Couldn't stop myself from picking up another Maybelline Color Drama Lip Pencil in Boots earlier, I flippin' love them! So easy to wear & beautiful colours to boot. Now have Minimalist, Light It Up & Keep It Classy (the one I bought today). Favourite lip products at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

keredern wrote: »
    Oh, gorgeous!!!!

You will love that highlighter...it's fab!

Those foils are divine but I'm too old for them sadly!!!

Is that lacquer "What I Believe"?

I got that one also & it's lovely.

I have quite a collection from MUR now...feeling quite chuffed with myself since I only started being interested in makeup (well, more than just foundation & mascara!) in April this year & I'm 47!!!!

I got the Sugar & Spice palette in this order & I love it! :)

Also got the Give Them Nightmares palette & it's lush!:D

I'll try to post a pic of the order asap. :o

So far of what I tried it's amazing! The highlighter is so pigmented. You really need the tiniest bit!
    The lacquer is that color and it's gorgeous.
    The Superwow lipsticks are so pigmented and long lasting. As are the liquid blush and blush palettes.

And yes the foils are gorgeous. An absolute copy of the Stila Foils but so so much cheaper.

I even tried the foundations and am surprised that I like them! I never like cheaper ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Bought the urban decay electric palette, didn't think the looks would be very wearable but I've been surprised. Because its basically just pigment it's so hard to blend but worth the effort.

Excuse the half closed/half open thing I've going on, surprisingly hard to get a pic showing the colours.

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxttoo/8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Shaws in Waterford now have a big NYX stand for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I bought a 7 day trial skin kit from Herbalife today. Gonna start it on Monday so well see how well it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Today I picked up the MaxFactor Skin Luminizer foundation in the lightest shade. I tried it on my neck and it seemed to be a nice shade for fair skin so I'll see how it goes and report back. I hate when foundations oxidise throughout the day, fingers crossed this stays the same colour and no orange.
    Also picked up the Malava spray that supposedly dries your nails. I'm a demon for spending an age doing my nails and then smudging them in a matter of minutes, no matter what top coat I use! Was €14.50 for the can so pricey enough but it will be worth it if it meets my expectations!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I like the Max Factor Skin Luminizer foundation, started using it recently.

I got the Charlotte Tilbury Sophisticate palette, a mega splurge at €50! The texture is gorgeous and has really good colour payoff. Great colours for a smoky eye.

Advertisement