Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

ShazGV wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I'm hoping those of you with oily skin could help me out with some recommendations please? :)

I have oily skin, particularly my nose & chin, and I'm looking for a nice long wearing foundation, medium to full coverage with decent staying power. I've tried Double Wear & it's fine but nothing amazing, oil still comes through after a few hours. Part of the problem is that I'm also quite pale - I wear 1C1 Cool Bone in Double Wear & it's slightly too dark, as is MAC's NW15 (but I've only tried Studio Sculpt when I had drier skin!). The best I've used so far is Revlon Colorstay in Ivory which is a great colour match.

I'm going to London in a couple of weeks so I'll have a bigger selection at my fingertips, so any & all suggestions are welcome & appreciated! :D
    (And if you want to convince me to buy other stuff in London too, you wouldn't have to try too hard ;) )

To be honest, ELDW is the mattest, longest wearing foundation I can think of. I have really oily, spotty skin and I always have a bottle on hand for bad skin days and days when I need to get 10+ hours out of my make-up.

If you like MAC, Studio Fix is aimed at oily skin that needs extra coverage. They also do it in NC10 and NW10, which look extremely pale. Some people don't get on well with it though, so if you're considering it maybe buy it in the UK where it's cheaper. I'm not sure if they do samples.

Do you use primer? I love the Smashbox Photofinish Light primer, it keeps my foundation going for longer and sorts out any pore issues. It'll also be a steal in the UK and/or Duty Free; it can cost up to €40 here. A good mattifying powder is useful too; I quite like Rimmel's Stay Matte.

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    To be honest, ELDW is the mattest, longest wearing foundation I can think of. I have really oily, spotty skin and I always have a bottle on hand for bad skin days and days when I need to get 10+ hours out of my make-up.

If you like MAC, Studio Fix is aimed at oily skin that needs extra coverage. They also do it in NC10 and NW10, which look extremely pale. Some people don't get on well with it though, so if you're considering it maybe buy it in the UK where it's cheaper. I'm not sure if they do samples.

Do you use primer? I love the Smashbox Photofinish Light primer, it keeps my foundation going for longer and sorts out any pore issues. It'll also be a steal in the UK and/or Duty Free; it can cost up to €40 here. A good mattifying powder is useful too; I quite like Rimmel's Stay Matte.

The new kid on the block which competes with Estee Lauder Double Wear or Flawless Finish is CLARINS TEINT HAUTE (CLARINS EVERLASTING FOUNDATION ) - its the same product. Its utterly amazing and gives total coverage yet feels incredibly light,silky and dewy. I only bought it last week after years of ELDW and I prefer it by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I have used some primers in the past but haven't found one to suit me yet. I have heard that the Smashbox ones are great though so I'll have a look for it, thank you! :)
    The new kid on the block which competes with Estee Lauder Double Wear or Flawless Finish is CLARINS TEINT HAUTE (CLARINS EVERLASTING FOUNDATION ) - its the same product. Its utterly amazing and gives total coverage yet feels incredibly light,silky and dewy. I only bought it last week after years of ELDW and I prefer it by far.

I'll have to look up that one! For some reason I never think of Clarins makeup, only skincare. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

ShazGV wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I'm hoping those of you with oily skin could help me out with some recommendations please? :)

I have oily skin, particularly my nose & chin, and I'm looking for a nice long wearing foundation, medium to full coverage with decent staying power. I've tried Double Wear & it's fine but nothing amazing, oil still comes through after a few hours. Part of the problem is that I'm also quite pale - I wear 1C1 Cool Bone in Double Wear & it's slightly too dark, as is MAC's NW15 (but I've only tried Studio Sculpt when I had drier skin!). The best I've used so far is Revlon Colorstay in Ivory which is a great colour match.

I'm going to London in a couple of weeks so I'll have a bigger selection at my fingertips, so any & all suggestions are welcome & appreciated! :D
    (And if you want to convince me to buy other stuff in London too, you wouldn't have to try too hard ;) )

Anyone I know who has oily skin just loves nars sheer glow. My skin would be on the dry side and I find it doesn't suit my skin at all and clings to the dry spots. Anyone I know who is prone to oilyness just loves it though. They've a lovely selection of pale shades too, you should get yourself matched while you're over there. The coverage is great too despite it being called "sheer glow", it's definitely medium to full coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

anna080 wrote: »
    Anyone I know who has oily skin just loves nars sheer glow. My skin would be on the dry side and I find it doesn't suit my skin at all and clings to the dry spots. Anyone I know who is prone to oilyness just loves it though. They've a lovely selection of pale shades too, you should get yourself matched while you're over there. The coverage is great too despite it being called "sheer glow", it's definitely medium to full coverage.

Siberia or Gobi are great pale shades in Sheer Glow (Mont Blanc was too warm toned for me and came out looking much darker than the other too when I got shade matched).

Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation was pretty good. I used Soft Ivory (I'm also paler than NW/NC15). It's definitely a medium-full coverage and well-loved by us oily or combination skinned folk.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have that too and it's pretty good but I don't find it gives quite the same level of coverage as ELDW. It is a much lighter option though.

Sheer Glow is also a great option, but it can get a little oily on me after a few hours. But Siberia is just lovely on, the finish is soo flattrring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

This is fantastic guys, thank you so much! I've heard great things about Sheer Glow & LM Silk Creme but for some reason I thought they were better suited to normal/dry skin types. Excited to go get matched/samples now!

Really appreciate all the inputs, ye are so helpful. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

cat_dog wrote: »
    Just ordered Benefit It's potent! Eye cream. Hope it's good

I found that this cream did reduce my dark circles but didn't do much for fine lines or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Said I'd stick up a pic of the nars sex appeal blush and sheer glow (Mont blanc) I got a few weeks ago. It looks much better IRL than on camera I think. Lots of people commenting on how glowly and healthy my skin looks, and doesn't look like I'm wearing any makeup at all. I love this combo for a fresh faced, natural look. I am very pale, with Type 1 skin that doesn't tan, and shades match perfectly.

photo1_zps3f59b78b.jpg

Anyone here not impressed with liz earles cleanse and polish? After only a week of using it I'm left with a spotty red chin and dry patches on my eyelids and on my face beside my ears. Am so disappointed as id been looking forward to getting it for ages and done my research and thought id love it, I've fairly normal skin and this has just ruined it! Can't attribute it to anything else as my routine has otherwise remained the same. Have stopped using it now to see is there any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've started using the Herbalife skin stuff, it's UNREAL! Ill post up photos later. But seriously, I can't even recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Anyone here not impressed with liz earles cleanse and polish? After only a week of using it I'm left with a spotty red chin and dry patches on my eyelids and on my face beside my ears. Am so disappointed as id been looking forward to getting it for ages and done my research and thought id love it, I've fairly normal skin and this has just ruined it! Can't attribute it to anything else as my routine has otherwise remained the same. Have stopped using it now to see is there any difference.
    I used it for a few years during which I had a lot of rosacea outbreaks. It never occured to me that cleanse and polish could be making it worse but I stopped using it after reading that the formula changed when Avon bought the company. I noticed an immediate improvement in my skin. Now I double cleanse using a combination of oil, balm, darphin intral cleansing milk and soap and glory wash off cleanser.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 milkrounds1516

Does anyone here know if the BT2 in blanch has a NARS counter? I know their selection is fairly limited, but I'll be in blanch tomorrow and I'm dying to try the Nars radiant creamy concealer.

Similarly does anyone have any concealer suggestions for under eye area that comes in pale shades but has good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I think the only nars counter in Dublin is in BTs in the city centre. I like the collection 2000 one it's creamy for under the eye with good coverage

I use the L'Oréal Lumi Magique Concealer under my eyes; I find it great for making me look less zombie-like. The palest shade is pretty pale too.

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Lumi-Magique-Concealer_1247628/

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Boots natural collection has a lovely creamy concealer in a wand applicator. I also rate laura merciers secret concealer

The collection 2000 one is a dupe for nars creamy concealer. I own both and I honestly cannot tell any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Got the real techniques eye brush set for an unbelievably cheap €12.37 in Sam McCauleys in Mahon Point today

spd_20140919185559_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I have hooded eyes so finding a liner that doesn't transfer is impossible, no matter how much primer or powder i use or eye shadow on top of the liner, all the tricks I've tried and it still transfers to the top lid- not any more!! :)
    Got mac liquidlast because I heard that once it dries it does not budge, and its the truth! Even this morning i ran down to the shops in the rain and by the time i got home everything else was running down my face but my eyeliner was still perfect! Love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

I use the L'Oréal Lumi Magique Concealer under my eyes; I find it great for making me look less zombie-like. The palest shade is pretty pale too.

This is what I use also and I'm ghostly pale. It's lovely. I've tried the maybelline version too and just didn't like it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Got myself 2 new Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners today.
    - Delinquent which is a gorgeous black colour with a purple glitter and also Underground which is a beautiful sort of bronzey colour.
    Love the 24/7 eyeliners.

Also got myself a new UD primer potion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I finished a bottle about a month ago and I was delighted. I thought it was awful, not worth the hype or the price. Definitely would not repurchase.

Novella wrote: »
    I finished a bottle about a month ago and I was delighted. I thought it was awful, not worth the hype or the price. Definitely would not repurchase.

It just ruined my skin. I have a whole heap of spots on my chin just waiting to come up and they feel so sore. I've dry patches all over too. I asked my sister does she want it as I'll never use it again but after seeing the state it's left me in she said no way! Nothing has ever left my skin in a state as much as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Last purchase was a Rituals purple lipstick. Great colour, not too loud and stays on pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

It just ruined my skin. I have a whole heap of spots on my chin just waiting to come up and they feel so sore. I've dry patches all over too. I asked my sister does she want it as I'll never use it again but after seeing the state it's left me in she said no way! Nothing has ever left my skin in a state as much as this.

I have never suffered with bad skin and really only get the odd spot but my boyfriend actually asked me why my forehead was all bumpy when I was using it! I got so many spots on my forehead and big, painful ones on my chin and some on my jawline. I felt so self conscious and my make up looked like crap when I put it on.

My forehead is only just going back to normal now. Terrible stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Novella wrote: »
    I have never suffered with bad skin and really only get the odd spot but my boyfriend actually asked me why my forehead was all bumpy when I was using it! I got so many spots on my forehead and big, painful ones on my chin and some on my jawline. I felt so self conscious and my make up looked like crap when I put it on.

My forehead is only just going back to normal now. Terrible stuff!

I've had the exact opposite experience with it. Ever couple of weeks I used to get a really aggressive break out on the same part of my chin. Since I started using the liz earle face wash about 6 months ago I still get the odd spot on my chin, but I haven't had any more angry break outs. It could be a coincidence or something else I've changed but it certainly doesn't seem to be causing me any issues. It just feels like a really gentle way of taking my make up off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 schuey2me

Ordered the No7 beauty calendar today for 45 euro.. cant wait to start opening them doors!! I dont have any No7 products so this will be a nice starter kit for me. Sorry cant add any links as a newbie :( Its on the boots website :)

My skin has gotten really cranky in the last month or so; dehydrated, red, spotty and sore. I took advantage of Escentual's 1/3 off French Pharmacy offer (ends Friday), and bought the La Roche-Posay Physiological Cleansing Gel and Toleriane Fluide for a grand total of €29 including shipping. Not bad considering the two can be €17-€20 each depending on the shop.

http://www.escentual.com/la-roche-posay/larocheposay022/

http://www.escentual.com/la-roche-posay/toleriane/larocheposay003/

Crossing my fingers that a gentler approach will get things back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I just bought mac amlified lipstick in craving. Love the colour and the feel. Just delighted! :D

Edit. I also got the simple spotless skin deep cleansing pads in penneys. I swear by them for giving a proper deep clean and I really do notice a difference straight away. In boots they are about €6, in penneys €3.50!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sara1

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement