Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've noticed ilyana that you tend to use quite heavy foundation. I am wondering if perhaps this is contributing to your breakouts? I know myself if I wear a full coverage foundation, my skin is in bits. The prolong wear foundation from mac made my entire face break out.

It's a vicious circle, wear full coverage makeup because you have bad skin, and then full coverage foundation is making it worse, so you need it more than ever.

Is there anyway you'd get away with BB cream for a while?

Yeah I know it isn't helping matters, but my skin has been bad since I was about 12 and has never been totally clear since. I've tried every type of foundation over the years, and often none at all. I'm just a bit cursed! The only thing that helped was Dianette and antibiotics.

The option of using a BB cream would be lovely, believe me. I have tried them in the past but just ended up so self-conscious with less coverage. Like you said, it's a vicious cycle.

I'm thinking of putting the money towards a doctor's appointment instead tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

The video tutorials are a great idea! I love to watch how to do new tricks and play around with new colors! Inspire me chicas!!
    I don't wear much makeup but I looooooove to dress up on nice events or costumes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah I know it isn't helping matters, but my skin has been bad since I was about 12 and has never been totally clear since. I've tried every type of foundation over the years, and often none at all. I'm just a bit cursed! The only thing that helped was Dianette and antibiotics.

The option of using a BB cream would be lovely, believe me. I have tried them in the past but just ended up so self-conscious with less coverage. Like you said, it's a vicious cycle.

I'm thinking of putting the money towards a doctor's appointment instead tbh!

I'm in a similar situation to you, and spent entire summers wearing no make up at all but still had (and have) horrible skin :( Only thing that helped me was switching up skincare to tackle oil production and dry patches, but I'm still guaranteed cystic acne once every month or two which leaves a lovely healing landmark for 3 weeks and some nice scarring. Also the fact my face is very red and my body is very yellow doesn't help matters when it comes to lighter coverage products, I need at least medium coverage foundation to match my face to my neck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm contemplating buying the Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation. My skin is in an absolute state lately, and nothing is giving me enough coverage.

If anyone has any thoughts to share on it, fire away :)

I bought that foundation a while ago and just rediscovered it last week and I really do like it. I wouldn't say the coverage is super heavy, more medium to full, but it still looks nice and natural, not mask like at all.

I don't like heavy make up and tend to use lighter coverage foundations but the Silk Creme doesn't feel cakey in the least. I put it on and I was like, "Wow!" My face looked flawless. I actually wore it on my wedding day, I was so impressed with it!

I had/have a few break outs and it covered perfectly. I would definitely try it out. :)

bscm wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation to you, and spent entire summers wearing no make up at all but still had (and have) horrible skin :( Only thing that helped me was switching up skincare to tackle oil production and dry patches, but I'm still guaranteed cystic acne once every month or two which leaves a lovely healing landmark for 3 weeks and some nice scarring. Also the fact my face is very red and my body is very yellow doesn't help matters when it comes to lighter coverage products, I need at least medium coverage foundation to match my face to my neck :)

It's crap, isn't it? There's always something wrong with your skin, it can never just be clear. The annoying thing is that anything can break me out, not just hormones.
    Novella wrote: »
    I bought that foundation a while ago and just rediscovered it last week and I really do like it. I wouldn't say the coverage is super heavy, more medium to full, but it still looks nice and natural, not mask like at all.

I don't like heavy make up and tend to use lighter coverage foundations but the Silk Creme doesn't feel cakey in the least. I put it on and I was like, "Wow!" My face looked flawless. I actually wore it on my wedding day, I was so impressed with it!

I had/have a few break outs and it covered perfectly. I would definitely try it out. :)

Sounds pretty good, thanks Novella! It'd be nice to use something with decent coverage but not feel like an absolute cement-face :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I also got that cream silk foundation, I have quiet dry skin and am pale. I found the colour selection in the light shades to be very "ashy". It is a nice foundation but I don't think it's any better than the double ware. I find the double ware lasts longer and does not budge throughout the day.

Edit I had severe acne for years and have been left with scarring both indents and red marks. I still get cystic spots. I have been reading up on acne scarring recently and also have looked up a fair bit on acne treatments. Two regimes that seem to be getting good reviews are the clearogen by saphora and the one from acne.org. I have not tried any of these products yet (just to let you know). Both of these seem to be based on benzoyl peroxide, but the product seems to not dry out the skin as much as other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Oh dear had a bit of a mishap in Debenhams today when I went in to get my eyebrows threaded. Got these:

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_123932037599_-1
    http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_123932035099_-1

10% off, bargain!!!

I also got myself a Debenhams reward card so will make even more savings...but I made a booboo, I got a 5euro gift card given to me by them a couple weeks ago when I bought the set of 10 eyeliners and I forgot to use it so will need to use it soon.

Fell in love with the Vice 3 palette and it's reduced to 43euro so might get it next week will be only 38 with the card - sorted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

lindtee wrote: »
    Bought the YSL Le touch eclat foundation earlier this year and only got around to using it a few weeks ago. I had used a tester of it last year and thought it was the bees knees/cats pyjamas etc etc. It left my skin looking smooth and glowy. However I have found it awful this time. Seems to oxidise into a completly different colour and makes my skin look dull and greasy and old:(:( Don't know why its so different on me this time.

Going to stick to the only 2 foundations that I have found that I really like, Double wear in Shell and Studio Fix in NW10.

Recent purchases: Benefit-world-famous-neutrals-easiest-nudes-ever-eyeshadow-kit . I am totally rubbish at applying eye makeup properly so hoping that this may help me! Got it for £18.50 from Asos (sold out now though)

Ordered 2 Clinique dramatically different moisturising lotions at €11.50 each and got the below gift. It wouldn't be one of my favourite moisturisers but at €23 for 60ml and the free gift it is good enough. Plus my skin tends to get very dry around this time of year so it should suit it.

Also got a few makeup revolution things from superdrug. Good for the price.

I am thinking of buying the same benefit eyeshadow palette. How are you finding it so far? I am rubbish at applying eyeshadow as well. I think the colours are lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

My makeup revolution stuff came today!!! Am stunned at the quality for such low prices. Haven't tested everything out yet but so far the lipstick is very moisturising and I love the colour. The peach cream blush is a dream to wear im loving it. Will test the rest later.

th_image-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Wow lukesmom that looks amazing....... You are going to have fun trying it out !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Got two lipsticks in MAC today...

Hot Gossip, a creme sheen
    mac_hotgossip003.jpg

Faux, a satin
    ec6d615528cd51d2f44fd84daa22591a.jpg

And a lip liner, Soar
    mac-soar-lip-pencil1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love those!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I just noticed in the photos the lippies look similar but in real life they're quite different. Hot Gossip is a warm pink, Faux is more nude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

lukesmom wrote: »
    My makeup revolution stuff came today!!! Am stunned at the quality for such low prices. Haven't tested everything out yet but so far the lipstick is very moisturising and I love the colour. The peach cream blush is a dream to wear im loving it. Will test the rest later.

th_image-1.jpg

Told ya!!! :p:D

Fab products!!!

I have bought so much from them, I now have shares!! (I wish) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

For anyone with sensitive skin or serious allergies to chemical ingredients in make up. I used Bare Minerals for 3 years and started reacting. Their products aren't as "natural" as they claim.
    I've since switched to Lily Lolo and their make up is fab. Especially the loose eye shadows and mascara. 100% natural and stays on all day.
    Highly recommended :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My skin has been so terrible lately so I decided to give it some tlc. My skin is weird in that it's dry but oily in parts. I get bad dry patches but my chin gets spotty and my forehead gets oily. The origins mask came free if you bought two products, I'd been eyeing up the scrub for a while so decided to try it out! The kiehls stuff I'm very excited about. The woman told me as my skin is both dry and oily I need oil free hydrating products, so I bought the cleanser toner and moisturiser. Very excited to try all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying the same benefit eyeshadow palette. How are you finding it so far? I am rubbish at applying eyeshadow as well. I think the colours are lovely though.

Have not tried it yet. I am just back from a holiday and didn't take it with me. Hope to use it tomorrow when I am over this jet lag and have the energy to do it properly!

anna080 wrote: »
    My skin has been so terrible lately so I decided to give it some tlc. My skin is weird in that it's dry but oily in parts. I get bad dry patches but my chin gets spotty and my forehead gets oily. The origins mask came free if you bought two products, I'd been eyeing up the scrub for a while so decided to try it out! The kiehls stuff I'm very excited about. The woman told me as my skin is both dry and oily I need oil free hydrating products, so I bought the cleanser toner and moisturiser. Very excited to try all.

Do let us know how you get on with the Kiehl's products :)

I will do! Have only used the toner so far as she advised me to introduce them into my routine gradually instead of just changing it completely, that way if I get a reaction I'll know which product caused it. Really liking the toner, it's ph balanced and free from all the nasty stuff and my skin really likes it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I will do! Have only used the toner so far as she advised me to introduce them into my routine gradually instead of just changing it completely, that way if I get a reaction I'll know which product caused it. Really liking the toner, it's ph balanced and free from all the nasty stuff and my skin really likes it so far.

I'm in the market for a toner. TBH I've never really used one and have no idea what I'm looking for but might give that one a go.

I'm in the market for a toner. TBH I've never really used one and have no idea what I'm looking for but might give that one a go.

I never used one either but she said they are vital in your daily routine and many go without. Cleansing opens your pores and toning closes them again and gets your skin ready for moisturising so your pores don't get clogged. I'm liking it thus far and haven't had a reaction. My skin is super sensitive I'm even allergic to my tears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I never used one either but she said they are vital in your daily routine and many go without. Cleansing opens your pores and toning closes them again and gets your skin ready for moisturising so your pores don't get clogged. I'm liking it thus far and haven't had a reaction. My skin is super sensitive I'm even allergic to my tears!

When would use it? In the morning before makeup or in the evening after taking it off?

I've an awful habit of not fully taking my makeup off at night and then washing my face properly in the morning.

When would use it? In the morning before makeup or in the evening after taking it off?

I've an awful habit of not fully taking my makeup off at night and then washing my face properly in the morning.

Both! I would use it in the morning after cleansing and in the evening after make up removal.

Cold water closes the pores just as well. If you've oily skin then something astringent (witch hazel) will help to dry up the skin, otherwise I don't see a need for it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Picked up Nars Sheer Glow in Gobi earlier. Excited to see if this works on my combo-oily mug and lives up to the hype :)

000110951?$prod_main$

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I bought Sali Hughes book ''Pretty Honest'' and Kevyn Aucoin's book, ''Face Forward''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Likewise, Anna you pretty much described my skin in your post. I still haven't found a combination of products that properly agree with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

The Aussie range of haircare products are less than half price in Tesco at the moment (there were about 2 products not inculded afaik), so everything's around €2.80-ish if anyone needs to stock up. I picked up a Take the Heat conditioning spray, looking forward to trying it, I haven't used Aussie things in a few years and can't remember if I like them or not :P

Also noticed a few Pantene products at 2 for €7 with something worth €9 by itself included.

• Advertisement

Be interested to see how you get on with the Aussie products, I haven't tried them in years but hated them way back then. Wonder if they got better?

Advertisement