Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I was all hyped to buy a Babyliss Big hair today but when I got to boots they had the instyler reduced and I'd be eye'in up one of them for longer so went for that.

Can't wait to use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

I was wondering could anyone give me any info on how the Babyliss air brush works.

Like does it actually dry your hair? Or do you need to use a blow dryer and then the air brush? Im really interested in buying it but a bit worried about heat damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Your hair needs to be about 80% dry when you use it so you'd blowdry roughly first. It's not massively hot so I wouldn't worry too much about heat damage, my hairdryer runs hotter than the big hair does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

The Big Hair isn't very hot but when I bought mine I was using it non-stop and it caused some breakage, so I'd recommend giving your hair a rest every now and again if you're planning on using it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Got a few great bits over Christmas and the sales, but one thing in particular stood out.

Nars Digital World Lip Pencil Set. My mom managed to get this baby from Space NK through Parcel Motel. I'm in love with just about every colour. There's a great nude (Descanso), a nice coral-orangey-nude (Torres de Paine), really vibrant matte orangey-red (Iberico), a surprisingly wearable bright pink (Yu) and then a deep matte red (Cruella). Suits my ghost face, and Cruella is the prettiest deep red :)

NARS-Digital-World-Yu-K-down-pencils-open.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Dreannz

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but rimmels provocolips is amazing.i now have it in five colours and have converted 6 friends,who have been sending me pics of how long it's lasting on them.
    It says 16 hours but it lasts even longer once applied correctly.
    You put on a good layer of the colour let it dry fully then seal with the top coat and it will not budge.you have to apply correctly my mother didn't at first and was wondering why it didn't work for her.
    it lasts through eating, drinks and I smoke so even through that.
    I don't know what the stuff is made of but I need my cleansing balm to remove it a wipe won't take it all off.
    I've the three pinks from nude to dark,a plum and a red.i live in red lipstick so this is a god send put it on in the morning it's still there at night,if I only remove my make up with a wipe which happened Xmas eve I still have red lips in the morning.
    It's under € 10 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I got a voucher for €55 for inglot... what should I get people?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ellie87

Dreannz wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but rimmels provocolips is amazing.i now have it in five colours and have converted 6 friends,who have been sending me pics of how long it's lasting on them.
    It says 16 hours but it lasts even longer once applied correctly.
    You put on a good layer of the colour let it dry fully then seal with the top coat and it will not budge.you have to apply correctly my mother didn't at first and was wondering why it didn't work for her.
    it lasts through eating, drinks and I smoke so even through that.
    I don't know what the stuff is made of but I need my cleansing balm to remove it a wipe won't take it all off.
    I've the three pinks from nude to dark,a plum and a red.i live in red lipstick so this is a god send put it on in the morning it's still there at night,if I only remove my make up with a wipe which happened Xmas eve I still have red lips in the morning.
    It's under € 10 too.

I LOVE these! They really do last! Don't budge! I'm always paranoid about wearing red lipstick because I'm thinking its on my teeth, or on my face or wearing off in a strange way ... the provocalips have sorted all that! They're not even drying or anything once the topcoat goes on. Cannot recommend them enough as evidenced by the number of exclamation marks in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I think I might have to pick up one of them up tomorrow! Always on the lookout for a long lasting lip colour.

For Christmas I got a gorgeous box of Urban Decay from my boyfriend, containing prep spray, BB cream, heavy metal glitter, nail varnish, eyeshadow primer and setting spray. My mam bought me a beautiful Mac palette, the keepsakes natural face one. It's lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I got the Urban Decay Vice palette for Christmas, absolutely love it. Gorgeous shades & lovely quality as usual!

urbandecayvice3palette3.jpg

(Apologies if the above pic is huge, I can't tell on mobile!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Massive make up catch up!!

I went to Space NK and had lots of fun :D

I got a trio of Lipstick Queen reds, one day, one night and one metallic! €50 for the set in cute red packaging.

The colours are - Saint Red for night, extremely pigmented and with Mac lip primer and lip liner it will not budge. I love this!

Red Sinner is for day and is a little more rosy. It's more moisturising due to less pigment, easy to wear to pull a day time look together.

Red Metal, the metallic, is very Christmassy, I'm not sure I'll wear it by itself, but it looks good just swept over the night time red.

http://us.spacenk.com/red-carpet-edit/MUK200013679.html

I also got REN No1 Purity Cleansing Balm, muslin cloth included, €28. I have used REN products before and really liked them and this is no different, it gives an amazing clean. I use after Micellar water and it gets every last scrap of make up or dirt off my skin. My skin is in great shape since using.

http://www.renskincare.com/p/3437/No.1+Purity+Cleansing+Balm

I have just repurchased YSL Touché Éclat foundation, my favourite foundation.

I picked up some Max Factor bits too - loving Masterpiece Transform mascara, it is amazing. It's extemely black and makes my lashes look super long. Also tried Excess Intensity eyeliner, it's a very soft pencil liner, and twist up so no parer needed! It really is long lasting , and the nib is fine enough to do a flick.

Hey guys, thanks for the info on the Babyliss air brush....

Just another quick question - can it be used on hair that's already dry (like washed the day before) or would it be too damaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Twee. wrote: »
    I have just repurchased YSL Touché Éclat foundation, my favourite foundation.

can I ask what you think of this? I got it as a present (in B10 - supposedly the lightest shade) and just from looking at the bottle it looks kind of yellow compared to the foundation I'm currently using. I was matched in store (should have walked outside..) but I'm terrified of opening it now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Got the white ghd eclipse today. I haven't had a proper go off it yet but it is beautiful and it absolutely glided through my hair. I'm looking forward to testing it out properly later, but so far I'm delighted with it. I think I'm in love. :D

285_image_7_hero.jpg

My old ghd has served me well for the last 10 or 11 years but it's on its last legs, so it is being retired but will be kept as a backup in case I ever need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I caved to the hype and bought the Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm today, and so far I'm impressed! It works into the skin nicely and afterwards I wiped my face with micellar water just to see if everything was gone, and the cotton pad was almost totally clean.

It was €29, pricey enough but the tub is huge.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Clinique-Take-The-Day-Off-Cleansing-Balm-all-Skin-Types-125ml_22862/

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

ShazGV wrote: »
    I got the Urban Decay Vice palette for Christmas, absolutely love it. Gorgeous shades & lovely quality as usual!

(Apologies if the above pic is huge, I can't tell on mobile!)

Got it too and loving it, only used a few of them so far but Angel is my favourite it's gorgeous on

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

donna35 wrote: »
    Got it too and loving it, only used a few of them so far but Angel is my favourite it's gorgeous on

I got it too!! I'm in love with Alchemy and Sonic!! The colours are so pigmented and so beautiful!!

ciara1052 wrote: »
    can I ask what you think of this? I got it as a present (in B10 - supposedly the lightest shade) and just from looking at the bottle it looks kind of yellow compared to the foundation I'm currently using. I was matched in store (should have walked outside..) but I'm terrified of opening it now :o

This is my absolute favourite, on my third bottle! Is yours just B or BD (beige d'or - yellow toned) or BD (beige rose - pink toned?). I'm fair and use BD 20, it does look dark and yellow in the bottle, but it's the perfect match for me. I've attached a pic of my with full face of make up, I adore the finish! I don't think it works well for oily skin though. If I get a chance I will swatch my other foundations, it is darker than my other ones too, but goes on perfect. If you can't return it anyway it'd be worth opening to test. You could sell on adverts if you wanted to get rid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I just got EFFACLAR K from La Roche-Posay. I am having a really bad breakout and my skin has suddenly decided to become combination. The lady in boots in Jervis was so so helpful so I got 3 for 2 that a botanics all bright cleanser and one of those skin clear spot sticks. I honestly already feel the difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I caved to the hype and bought the Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm today, and so far I'm impressed! It works into the skin nicely and afterwards I wiped my face with micellar water just to see if everything was gone, and the cotton pad was almost totally clean.

It was €29, pricey enough but the tub is huge.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Clinique-Take-The-Day-Off-Cleansing-Balm-all-Skin-Types-125ml_22862/

I've had my tub of that since the beginning of October and there's still about a third left in it so it will last you a while.
    I'm a definite convert to cleansing balms. I thought they were just another one of these cult products that bloggers and vloggers were raving about but they are actually brilliant. Very different to your usual face wash or cleansing lotions.

I get quite dirty pores around my mouth and under my chin (I drive a bike so my face is very exposed to pollution) and the cleansing balm is the best thing I have found for daily cleansing those areas. Anything I was using before would be only okay and at the end of the week I'd have to exfoliate my face and do a mask to clean everything out.

• Advertisement

I've had my tub of that since the beginning of October and there's still about a third left in it so it will last you a while.
    I'm a definite convert to cleansing balms. I thought they were just another one of these cult products that bloggers and vloggers were raving about but they are actually brilliant. Very different to your usual face wash or cleansing lotions.

I get quite dirty pores around my mouth and under my chin (I drive a bike so my face is very exposed to pollution) and the cleansing balm is the best thing I have found for daily cleansing those areas. Anything I was using before would be only okay and at the end of the week I'd have to exfoliate my face and do a mask to clean everything out.

It looks lovely. Do you think it would clog up oily skin or would it be OK?

The first time I used the REN cleansing balm I was shocked at the amount of dirt that came off my face! And this is after my usual cleansing routine! Totally converted to double cleansing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Twee - completely OT but I absolutely love your necklace in the pic! Do you remember where it's from?

Twee - completely OT but I absolutely love your necklace in the pic! Do you remember where it's from?

Thanks, it's one of my favourite things! It's Marc by Marc Jacobs, it's a spinning disc that has the outlines of I Love You stamped on each side, so when you spin it around you can see the message ^_^ Ive had it years but if you just Google I love you spinning disc you should be able to find a version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

MissNomer wrote: »
    It looks lovely. Do you think it would clog up oily skin or would it be OK?

My sister has quite oily skin and she loves cleansing balms too, doesn't find them to clog up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Bought Rimmel Provocalips in 730 Make Your Move based on the reviews in this thread... I love it! It's only €5.99 in Penneys if anyone else is looking for one.

Sorry if the image is large, using my phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Got Provocolips in Kiss Fatal to wear tonight.

Think I'll wear it over Mac Rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Twee. wrote: »
    This is my absolute favourite, on my third bottle! Is yours just B or BD (beige d'or - yellow toned) or BD (beige rose - pink toned?). I'm fair and use BD 20, it does look dark and yellow in the bottle, but it's the perfect match for me. I've attached a pic of my with full face of make up, I adore the finish! I don't think it works well for oily skin though. If I get a chance I will swatch my other foundations, it is darker than my other ones too, but goes on perfect. If you can't return it anyway it'd be worth opening to test. You could sell on adverts if you wanted to get rid!

it looks amazing on you! (your skin looks flawless) I have B10 (so beige I guess) It might be the pink toned one I need! I've typical Irish skin (pink basically) but can have slight redness in areas. Thanks so much for posting the picture/reply. I definitely want to keep the foundation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

La Roche Posay Effaclar cleanser
    La Roche Posay Effaclar duo plus
    Revlon colorstay foundation in sand beige
    Revlon colorburst lipstain in adore
    L'Oreal Lumi Magic primer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Had some vouchers for Sam McCauleys so bit the bullet and bought Estee Lauder Double Wear. Never tried it before!

Advertisement