Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

tradhead wrote: »
    I haven't bought anything in a while due to recurring skin issues so I have nothing to contribute I'm afraid :(

I've had some weird eye infection-type stuff going on recently so have thrown out all my eye-related cosmetics and skincare (even the fancy ones! :eek:) I'm thinking La Roche-Posay would be my best bet for skincare, but I was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere in Dublin where I could get samples before I buy, to make sure they don't irritate my skin even more? I know Boots stock it but I don't think they would give me samples.

Apologies for going off-topic, I promise I'll post up my new buys with reviews!

Hiya, not sure if the location would suit you, but the pharmacy in the Merrion Centre (merrion road, Dublin 4) does LRP and gives out samples. It's near where I work so picked up a few there before!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I wonder how the No.7 compares to the Clarisonic?

I had the no. 7 one and i found it way too harsh on my skin. I have quite sensitive skin and this made it very red and irritated. I have a Clarisonic now and love that it has the choice of different heads. I alternate between the deep pore and sensitive heads and it seems to suit my skin well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't understand how those Clarisonic brushes work, that sort of abrasion just doesn't seem natural and I just can't see the benefits from them. I've read horror stories about people suffering from burst blood vessels as a result of using them and I can understand how that would happen!
    Interesting blog post about the subject here:
    http://www.carolinehirons.com/2015/03/why-i-dont-like-battery-operated.html

Sandblasting is the last word I'd use to describe a Clarisonic and old Caroline Hirons' isn't a woman I'd trust too much with skincare advice. As I said before, I've super sensitive skin and have been using it for over a year and haven't had a problem. It mightn't be for everybody but it works for my skin and that's good enough for me.

*totally directed towards the blog post and not you btw!*

Sandblasting is the last word I'd use to describe a Clarisonic and old Caroline Hirons' isn't a woman I'd trust too much with skincare advice. As I said before, I've super sensitive skin and have been using it for over a year and haven't had a problem. It mightn't be for everybody but it works for my skin and that's good enough for me.

Don't worry, didn't take it as an attack I guess I just don't really find the appeal but that's cause I suffer from psoriasis and if I put anything like that near my face I don't think I'd recover for a long time. I had already read about people with problems before and then the blogpost popped up today, I guess everybody is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'd never go near a clarasonic. Honestly I agree with everything Caroline Hirons says about them. A hot cloth and cleanser is the best thing you can do for your skin, the skin on your face isn't able for such harsh abrasion. I agree with her when she says in years to come there will be a myriad of skin complaints that will be because of these awful things.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Hiya, just wondering why you say Caroline Hirons' isn't someone you'd trust with skincare advice? I don't know much about her and I'm not what you'd call a fan of her blog, I've checked it out a few times and thought she seemed well informed and appeared to give good advice, but as I said I'm not overly familiar with her and her blog so just wondering if there's something I don't know about her?

Just curious is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

tradhead wrote: »
    I haven't bought anything in a while due to recurring skin issues so I have nothing to contribute I'm afraid :(

I've had some weird eye infection-type stuff going on recently so have thrown out all my eye-related cosmetics and skincare (even the fancy ones! :eek:) I'm thinking La Roche-Posay would be my best bet for skincare, but I was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere in Dublin where I could get samples before I buy, to make sure they don't irritate my skin even more? I know Boots stock it but I don't think they would give me samples.

Apologies for going off-topic, I promise I'll post up my new buys with reviews!

Lloyds Pharmacies stock LRP and usually have small boxed samples, something on the counters so you can take a few. Just ask and I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'd take anything that Caroline Hirons says with a pinch of salt. Clarisoncs are perfectly safe for most peoples skin as long as you limit your use and don't over use them just with all physical exfoliation. I highly doubt we will see problems in the future as long as people use them correctly if anything people will have problems if they follow some of her advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

Sorry if I'm crashing this here lol... But anyone recommend something for very dry bleached hair? Probly from to much protein! Tryed coconut oil but makes it really bushy and frizzy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Moyglish wrote: »
    Hiya, just wondering why you say Caroline Hirons' isn't someone you'd trust with skincare advice? I don't know much about her and I'm not what you'd call a fan of her blog, I've checked it out a few times and thought she seemed well informed and appeared to give good advice, but as I said I'm not overly familiar with her and her blog so just wondering if there's something I don't know about her?

I wouldn't be her biggest fan either. She spouts a lot of nonsense on skin care and nutrition as fact that isn't backed up by anything other than her own intuition and personal experience. Even if it's contradicting the general consensus from both dieticians and dermatologists.

Couldn't think of a specific example off hand of something she said that irked me so had a quick look at her blog. On the front page is an article telling people who have been prescribed by their doctors to take antibiotics for their acne to stop taking them. Now it's quite possible she could be right, but her article does nothing to convince me of that. She gives no references to studies and simply spouts a bunch of pseudoscience and opinion.

Don't get me wrong she has a lot of good advice too. It's just so randomly mixed with both dangerous and ill-informed advice that she is not a person I would turn to when looking for answers and not someone I would recommend to others. As Bored_lad said, take everything she says with a pinch of salt.

Moyglish wrote: »

I think bored_lad and tiddlypeeps have said most it already but I find her to be woefully inconsistent with her advice and she just seems to follow the money. She'll berate people for using certain products but then promote others with almost the exact same ingredients because she's getting paid for it. I've no issue with bloggers making money but I feel consistency is key. As tiddlypeeps has said, she allows offers borderline dangerous advice without any real backing-up of her claims, instead just adapting an attitude of one-size-fits-all for skincare which I don't think is true at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Just bought the Clarisonic this morning...feeling a little scared now after reading the past few posts! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't agree with Caroline Hirons when she says not to use micellar water to cleanse in the morning. I mean surely skincare is subjective to the person and what works for one may not work for another? She does seem to have a set of "rules" that should be obeyed and I really don't think that's fair to project. I do however agree with what she says about the clarasonic, however I made my mind up about those before reading her blog so I wasn't influenced by her. I use la Roche Posay micellar water to cleanse every morning and find it suits my skin perfectly. I've never had a reaction to it and I'll continue to use it. I just find her list of "dos and donts" a bit patronising and Id never actively avoid using something just because she doesn't like it for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I have found some of Hirons' posts useful but, for example, I've had great results with antibiotics for acne, whereas she advocates not taking them at all. On the other hand, she's right about people not cleaning off their make-up properly, and how important double cleansing is. IMO, if you're happy with your skin, then keep going with what you've always done. If it ain't broke ;)

Back on topic, and I had a mini-splurge in MAC. I got a Lustre lipstick in Patisserie and an eyeshadow in Satin Taupe. I've wanted both for ages; I'm wearing Patisserie now and it's a lovely nude-pink that would probably suit anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Well I love my Clarisonic. I've used it every morning since last November. It's really cleared up a couple of little problem areas I had, namely dryness and redness. Sandblasting couldn't be further from the truth. It's gentle if used properly. You should be just moving it around in a circular motion applying very little pressure. If you're scrubbing it into your skin it probably will hurt and also impede the action of the brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Completely off topic but in support of Caroline Hirons; I've just finished a 6 week course of effeclar antibiotic for rosacea. My skin looks amazing but my digestive system is in ribbons. I was taking a good probiotic but I definitely paid a price for my clear skin. When I started the antibiotic I was a bit put out by her view of using them for skin conditions but I see what she means now. It'll take a long time to get my system back to normal.

I recently bought the Clinique City block spf25 which is supposed to be great for rosacea prone skin. So far so nice. I also bought and started using indeed labs retinol reface. I'm not sure how strong it is but in using it every second night for the moment.

Oops, I didn't mean to get into a debate on the authenticity of Caroline's blogging, I'm not even too familiar with her work I just agreed with some of the points she raised and I don't think I'd ever use a Clarisonic or something similar for that reason. Sorry to have went a bit off topic for a while but I think it's good to raise some discussion around these things especially about something as sensitive as your skin!

On topic,

I decided to pick up a sleek eyeshadow palette after reading some of the successes other on here have had with them. I think the one I've got is called 'Au Naturale' or something to that note, it has kinda purple undertones and I'm just hoping now that it doesn't look like I've black eyes :o

A little mini Boots haul today. They had 3 for 2 on all make up plus triple points today..It would have been rude not to!

om82R2bl.jpg

The two lipsticks are L'oreal - Julianne's nude and vip! The blush is Max Factor in Lovely Pink. I've heard it's a dupe for the hourglass ambient lighting blush so thought I'd give it a try. The rouge editions are from Bourgeois and are (from top) So Hap'pink, Appechissant and Don't Pink Of It. The 3 sticks are from No. 7 and are tiding me over until I can afford all the By Terry Blackstars. The colours are Cool Mink, Gunmetal Grey and Glistening Ray. Am really looking forward to give them all a try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Just bought the Clarisonic this morning...feeling a little scared now after reading the past few posts! :eek:

I bought the clarisonic aria about a month ago and I love it thankfully I didn't go through the purging stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Penzo16

Bought the Collection Lasting Perfection foundation in Ivory last week and finally got to try it out over the weekend and it's fab! Gives a lovely coverage and not at all drying on my skin, and it's only €7.99! Applies nicely with the Real Technique miracle complexion sponge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

Penzo16 wrote: »
    Bought the Collection Lasting Perfection foundation in Ivory last week and finally got to try it out over the weekend and it's fab! Gives a lovely coverage and not at all drying on my skin, and it's only €7.99! Applies nicely with the Real Technique miracle complexion sponge.

I absolutely need to get this stuff, I hear nothing but really good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Penzo16

SueBoom wrote: »
    I absolutely need to get this stuff, I hear nothing but really good things.

Well worth trying! I have quite dry skin, and psoriasis on top of that and it doesn't cling to patches compared to other foundation. I have a lot of redness also and it covered it no problem and didn't need to set it with powder.

Another purchase I forgot to mention is Water wipes makeup wipes, takes all makeup off easily including eye makeup and leave the skin feeling soft and moisturised. My skin is quite sensitive and these don't irritate it, no strong smell like other wipes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AJmakeup

I've heard good things about the Collection foundation definitely going to give it a try! Absolutely LOVE their Concealer. I constantly repurchase, it's definitely one of my favourites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

I picked up Rimmel's Apocalips Lip Lacquer in the colour Galaxy (a sort of dark pink). It's fab! I don't normally like lip gloss, I'd usually wear lipstick but the colour is really strong and lasting and much more moisturising than lippy. Would really recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AJmakeup

I have heard ELF products are discontinuing! I could be wrong though but there has definitely been chat about it, so if you want to pick up something you might need to do it sooner rather than later! I don't have any of their brushes so I can't advise, I only use their setting powder (which is discontinuing unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Just used the No. 7 cleansing brush! I wasn't really expecting any immediate results but my skin felt oh so soft and clean after using it. The brush itself was nice and gentle on the skin. Now, I have not used any other type of cleansing brush so I can't compare but my first impressions of this are very good. I used a lancome face wash with it.

Ordered Palmers oliver oil cleansing conditioner from Feel unique as I want to try the "No Poo" method:o:D for my curly hair
    41obF%2BuDT3L._SY300_.jpg
    Also ordered this body oil and hair dress as feelunique have 25% off all the palmers range
    palmer-s-cocoa-butter-formula-moisturizing-body-oil.jpg31I7zf8q5AL._SL160_.jpg

Also ordered this Monu Exclusive Beauty bag as it was on special offer.
    11021285-1414748994-382996.jpg

Have some vouchers for boots so am going to try that Collection foundation. Its worth a shot for 7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

AJmakeup wrote: »
    I have heard ELF products are discontinuing! I could be wrong though but there has definitely been chat about it, so if you want to pick up something you might need to do it sooner rather than later! I don't have any of their brushes so I can't advise, I only use their setting powder (which is discontinuing unfortunately)

Don't worry- you can still order your ELF cosmetics from iherb.com :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Can't comment on the Collection foundation as I haven't used it (though am tempted to get it now after all the good recommendations) but the Collection concealer is excellent. Allegedly a dupe for Nars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Can't comment on the Collection foundation as I haven't used it (though am tempted to get it now after all the good recommendations) but the Collection concealer is excellent. Allegedly a dupe for Nars.
    Is it not the Maybelline fit me that's a NARS dupe, or is the collection one another dupe for it?

I've tried the Collection one and I must be the only person who doesn't like it, I found it heavy and cakey.

I recently got the eyeshadows from Dealz and have to say I really, really like them. Cappuccino is my favourite. For €1.49 they're a fantastic price. I find the pigmentation of them to be as good as the MAC ones I have.

Advertisement