Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I love Pippa but honestly the pallet looks like something you'd buy in Penny's, which is fine but the price doesn't reflect that.
    I'm not crazy about mattes but no way would I pay €35 for a blank canvas pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Just picked up the Urban Decay Naked On The Run palette in House of Fraser reduced from €44 to €29.48!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Wow €35 is crazy! She posted a picture on Instagram this morning of a girl wearing it the highlight looks nice but no way hozay would I pay €35 for it. I find that when celebs put their name on products the products are usually crap anyway. I prefer original brands

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She posted this pic of herself using everything from the palette. The only thing that would tempt me into buying it is that highlighter, it looks amazing. Still very expensive for what it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Alpha h liquid gold. It's an acid toner that you can use every so second night I bought it from cult beauty. I have really enjoyed this product. I put it on at night using a cotton pad and wake up to brighter fresher skin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Alpha h liquid gold. It's an acid toner that you can use every so second night I bought it from cult beauty. I have really enjoyed this product. I put it on at night using a cotton pad and wake up to brighter fresher skin

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Anyone ever use the Armani silk foundation?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

The Blank Canvas makeup is usually fairly low quality IMO so I'm surprised at the price of the Pippa Palette. It has got good reviews from a couple of bloggers whose opinions I trust so it might be worth trying - the highlighter in it looks to be the pick of the palette.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

rougegal wrote: »
    The Blank Canvas makeup is usually fairly low quality IMO so I'm surprised at the price of the Pippa Palette. It has got good reviews from a couple of bloggers whose opinions I trust so it might be worth trying - the highlighter in it looks to be the pick of the palette.
    Have read a few reviews of the Pippa Palette, one particular reviewer I would find to be quite truthful, and it has all got rave reviews! Kinda making me really want one but I can't see myself paying the guts of €40 for one.... And it's not my birthday or Christmas for ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Craigels wrote: »

I'm dying to try this, can I ask where you purchased it and how much?
    I'm currently using the Pixi Glow tonic every evening but think I would prefer to try this every second or third day instead :)

Caroline Hirons raves about Alpha H so I'm on the lookout for it

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Have read a few reviews of the Pippa Palette, one particular reviewer I would find to be quite truthful, and it has all got rave reviews! Kinda making me really want one but I can't see myself paying the guts of €40 for one.... And it's not my birthday or Christmas for ages...

Most of the reviews come from blogger friends of hers though, and naturally enough they're going to say it's amazing. Will they still be using it six months down the line though? I doubt it. Seems like the highlighter is the only worthy thing in the palette. She should have just released a highlighter and charged half of what she's charging now. The eyeshadows look to be bog standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I'm dying to try this, can I ask where you purchased it and how much?
    I'm currently using the Pixi Glow tonic every evening but think I would prefer to try this every second or third day instead :)

Caroline Hirons raves about Alpha H so I'm on the lookout for it
    You can get Alpha H stuff on cloud10beauty.com and cultbeauty.com. I think the Liquid Gold is around €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I've just started using the first aid beauty radiance pads...amazing

Rfrip wrote: »

I have these too but not sure when to use them in my routine, how do you use them? They leave my face feeling a bit sticky and gross, not sure I like that. Def more of an evening time product for me

anna080 wrote: »
    I have these too but not sure when to use them in my routine, how do you use them? They leave my face feeling a bit sticky and gross, not sure I like that. Def more of an evening time product for me

I only use at night time, I use the clarins exfoliating toner in the mornings. I suffer so much from blocked pores but definatly seeing an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

ive gotten really bad skin around my chin and jaw area lately...
    any ideas on something to help clear it up?
    i generally have very clear skin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

shakencat wrote: »

Make sure your not touching your face during the day and make sure that you clean you phone screen and anything else that touches your face during the day.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Make sure your not touching your face during the day and make sure that you clean you phone screen and anything else that touches your face during the day.

do you know thats exactly where the sports are, along side of my mouth, only on one side, well with one or two extras..

could be an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

No advice but I feel your pain :( I'm exactly the same the last few months. Generally clear skin but absolute whopper spots around my chin and I have horrible little red scars after them. Also oddly a recurring one over one eyebrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Maybe try La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo+? Other than that, spots around the jawline can also be due to hormones/hormonal imbalance. If they don't clear up soon or are causing hassle, it might be worth speaking to a doctor or pharmacist :)

• Advertisement

I used to be like this and was stumped as to what I was doing to be getting so many spots on my chin until I realised it was my duvet cover. I'd change it maybe once a month probably less but as I have oily skin it's a nuisance because I sleep with the quilt literally up around my face so every secretion from my face (sorry gross) was accumulating on my duvet. I change it frequently now and see a big difference. See if it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

So glad it's not just me! I'm 28 and in the last 6 months my skin has gone awful :( I think it's hormonal though because I've tried everything. It keeps flaring up on different parts of my face, sore hard spots. If there are any products that can help with this I would love to know! Nothing with salicylic acid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I spotted Lloyds Pharmacies are now selling Bioderma, so I picked up their micellar water, its expensive at €16 (I'm used to Simple at €5.99) but I'd a voucher so said I would get it, they also gave me a free mini bottle which will be great for travelling too.

newdvl.jpg

Also got both of these Clarins items for €4 each reduced from €20 and €23.

Rouge Prodige lipstick in Tender Rose

2u3upaq.jpg

Clarins Gloss Appeal in Hibiscus - it the middle shade - I can't find decent pics of this online.

10ydz7t.jpg

Also picked up Kylie Minogue Music Box, its a lovely perfume for daytime, not too strong or over powering, cheap too.

o.19360.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Deciem Sub Q Serum. It was on offer on Boots for about €32. Everyone is raving about its ingredients and anti-aging properties, I got it just for the hydration. I really like it so far.

I never noticed any benefit from Hydraluron serum so it's definitely beating that! Skin feels really soft and hydrated very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Up until recently, I had no idea how to pluck my eyebrows.
    Seriously, hadn't a notion.

Then I had them waxed and tinted professionally. Loved it. The tint faded and the hairs started growing, so I decided to start learning how to pluck my brows.

Using a pretty sh*te tweezers, I was able to practice and now I'm fairly good at it.

So anyway, yesterday I invested in a pair of Tweezerman Mini Slanted tweezers (€16.99, Boots) & I LOVE them.
    They grab every single hair, even tiny short ones, and it's so precise.
    Plucking is actually fun!

Also picked up a 250ml bottle of Palmer's Cocoa Butter with free lip balm (€3.65, Boots).
    Love the stuff.

anna080 wrote: »
    I used to be like this and was stumped as to what I was doing to be getting so many spots on my chin until I realised it was my duvet cover. I'd change it maybe once a month probably less but as I have oily skin it's a nuisance because I sleep with the quilt literally up around my face so every secretion from my face (sorry gross) was accumulating on my duvet. I change it frequently now and see a big difference. See if it works for you.

duvet, or the bed sheets?
    i sleep with it up over my mouth..

duvet, or the bed sheets?
    i sleep with it up over my mouth..

The duvet cover yes. I used to sleep with it over my mouth too and since I've stopped I haven't had any spots in that area. Try falling asleep with it down around your chest area and resist the urge to pull it up. Now and again I'll still wake up with it over my mouth though but since changing it more frequently I don't think its as much of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Rfrip wrote: »

I use these too and because they are so saturated I cut them in half and get two uses out of each pad, I find half more than enough to wipe my whole face, might be worth giving a try!

I use these too and because they are so saturated I cut them in half and get two uses out of each pad, I find half more than enough to wipe my whole face, might be worth giving a try!

That makes total sense!!cheers for the tip..they are pricey enough!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

For anyone interested I finally got my Sephora package this morning.

I did pay a customs charge of €18 on an order that customs valued at €46. Included in the €18 was the €11 charge for customs and then an An Post handling fee of €7. I did use www.dutycalculator.com for a rough estimate on customs and it said the charge would be around €17 so they were correct.

For ReShip, once my order reached them they put a new label on the package beside (not over) the Sephora label and on it was what was in the order and the total cost of the order and also the cost of shipping. The box was opened and re-taped so I presume customs opened it to check everything was correct etc.

I'm pretty sure customs did make a mistake on what they charged me as they only charged me on the value of the Sephora order not on the total cost of the order plus the shipping, I paid $55 for the palette plus $27 shipping from ReShip. On the customs label it said that the VAT/Customs is 23% on the total cost of the item, postage, insurance, packaging etc. so I'm pretty sure they made a mistake as they didn't charge on the $27 shipping fee but then I didn't pay Sephora for that so maybe they only charge the VAT on the shipping if its included with the order and not a separate shipping charge? I don't know tbh.

Shipping from ReShip worked out around €20 as Sephora use boxes and a lot of tissue and bubble foam for wrapping.

Overall, it was pretty expensive, but for a once off purchase I don't mind, I would use Reship again and I would order from Sephora but it might be worth doing a big order between a couple of different people and splitting the cost of the shipping and customs.

Advertisement