Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Valentina wrote: »
    Re: iherb/real techniques brushes

I have lots of MAC/Crown and other brand brushes. There's nothing I really *need* (except maybe a really good liquid foundation brush as I'm not really happy with the ones I use) so my question is... are there any must have RT brushes? What would people recommend?

I'm happy to buy a single brush or a set.

And are there any other must have beauty products on iherb? I'm overwhelmed by choice! :o

I really like the Expert Face Brush and the Buffing Brush (only available as part of the core collection). Expert Face Brush is built for cream/thicker liquid foundations, and the Buffing Brush for thinner liquid foundations. People normally prefer one over the other but it really depends on what foundation you use and how much you want it buffed out/blended in.

The Blush Brush is so soft as well. There's an fine liner brush too in the starter set which is pretty good.

For the price of RT, especially if you have a Boots loyalty card with some points racked up, it's worth picking up some to try them out at the very least.

Nothing will beat a MAC 217 and 239 though for eyeshadow in my opinion :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Maybe ask if you can check them at the till?
    I've never thought of tk maxx for makeup....thanks!!
    That's what I will be doing from now on. I just feel awkward doing it especially if there is a queue of people waiting to be served but I think I'd rather that awkwardness rather than having to bring stuff back regularly.

It gets embarrassing after a few times.

TK Maxx is fantastic for make up, you get some great bargains on some great brands and some hard to find brands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Really getting sick of buying stuff in TK Maxx and having it damaged. Embarrassing when I keep bringing stuff back, swear the staff are going to start thinking I am deliberately damaging the items myself, if they haven't already.
    I wouldn't buy any make up in TK Maxx, the condition of it on the shelves is just awful. Everything is opened and tested. I'm sure it violates health and safety if there's such a thing in relation to the sale of cosmetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Not everything is opened - I got some bare minerals eyeliners recently (x 4:eek:) and they all had the plastic wrapping on them. Some of the more expensive stuff is sealed inside plastic containers as well - you just have to be careful.

I have really good skin so I just need medium coverage, I like more of a matt finish over a dewy one. I just don't know where to turn to next!

Ive just started using the Laura Mercier Smooth finish flawless fluide. I have good skin and don't like anything overly dewy. I like the level of matte this is. It says it blurs out imperfections and I'd totally agree with that. It blurs out a little red scar on my chin so that its barely noticeable (and I can cover that with concealer if I'm going out) but the freckles on the bridge of my nose can still be seen, which I like cus that gives a natural look. So I'm loving it so far.

Has anyone used the urban decay naked skin weightless complete coverage concealer? I ordered it on a whim and now I have buyers remorse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

IM GETTING MY BROWS DONE AT 2, MICROBLADING.

SO EXCITED!

*sorry*

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy any make up in TK Maxx, the condition of it on the shelves is just awful. Everything is opened and tested. I'm sure it violates health and safety if there's such a thing in relation to the sale of cosmetics.
    ams wrote: »
    Not everything is opened - I got some bare minerals eyeliners recently (x 4:eek:) and they all had the plastic wrapping on them. Some of the more expensive stuff is sealed inside plastic containers as well - you just have to be careful.

Yeah as Ams said, not everything is opened, and sometimes, I have found, people will open items, paw at them, then put them back in the box so they look like they should.

Recently my local TK Maxx started putting stickers on the beauty/sealed items that says "thank you for not opening the packaging" or something, yet plenty of those seals are still broken, so I think staff need to be more aware and check the beauty section more regularly because 60% of the stuff has been opened and pawed at.

There are some items which aren't of course, but its just a pain having to check before purchasing but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.

I've bought plenty of beauty/make up bits in various TK Maxx stores of the years and they've been fine, maybe its just my local store that this is a major problem in, I don't know to be honest.
    Has anyone used the urban decay naked skin weightless complete coverage concealer? I ordered it on a whim and now I have buyers remorse.
    I haven't used it but I am dying to try it.

I've seen various bloggers/YouTubers mention it but I am skeptical of buying it from their reviews as I know that sometimes they are paid/sent free products/sponsored to review positively.

When you get it, could you let us know what it is like please? It's funny, I always trust boards members reviews, but anywhere else (bar temptalia, make up alley) I'm always skeptical. :o

I've seen various bloggers/YouTubers mention it but I am skeptical of buying it from their reviews as I know that sometimes they are paid/sent free products/sponsored to review positively.

When you get it, could you let us know what it is like please? It's funny, I always trust boards members reviews, but anywhere else (bar temptalia, make up alley) I'm always skeptical. :o

Ha I'm always a bit sceptical too for the same reason. Yeah no problem, I'll post my honest opinion when I've used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,456 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone else pick up Caviar mask from Aldi, loving it myself and only was 8 or 9 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone else pick up Caviar mask from Aldi, loving it myself and only was 8 or 9 euros

Sadly no. I wanted to get this, but it sold out so fast :o I got the day cream though and I really like it. Very good base for make up. I thought initially it might be a bit too rich for my skin, but going into winter, I think it's pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

So I picked up the No7 Airbrush Away foundation in Calico (I'm so pale I'm nearly see through and this is a great match for me), very pretty on, very soft and lovely coverage. Asked would I need a powder to set it as it seemed rather dewy, assistant who applied it for me said no. Went away happy, half an hour later I sneezed so gently wiped my nose with a tissue, hello Rudolph... foundation completely gone with one swipe of a tissue! So second purchase of the day was good old Max Factor pressed powder, cheaper now at €4.99 than when I used to buy it over 10 years ago!
    Also picked up No7 concealer which is doing a very decent job of covering the weird blue circles under my eyes, fair play. This one http://www.boots.ie/en/No7-Match-Made-Concealer_1373394/ For some reason the shade that worked best for me in this one was Cool Ivory, the Calico was all wrong.
    Boots are doing a 3 for 2 on make up so I grabbed one of these too http://www.boots.ie/en/Maybelline-Brow-Satin-Eyebrow-Pencil_1505328/ in Medium brown. It's a lovely soft double ended thingy, a retractable skinny crayon type thing on one end and a round ended sponge applicator on the other with a creamy brow colour gel thing in the cap, haven't seen anything like it before, works really nicely to softly colour the brows without any waxy buildup.
    Also got one of these on a whim http://www.boots.ie/en/Real-Techniques-Miracle-Complexion-Sponge_1389470/ never used one before so will be having a look on YouTube to see what the heck I'm supposed to do with it, any beauty blender/sponge tips ladies and gents?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Here is my embroidery :)
    PhotoGrid_1446147976842.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

They look amazing ShakenCat. Kim is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

How does embroidery work? Is it like a tattoo?

It's microblading, it's more superficial than tattooing and is generally done in 3 sessions, it lasts between 18-24 months and the strokes used mimic the strokes of natural hair

Brought back the few bits to TK Maxx, and found another Too Faced palette of face products, was going to exchange them for that, asked the lady to check it before doing the exchange and it was opened and pawed at, at the time, another staff member came to the tills with a basket full of other beauty items that had been opened and pawed at/damaged.

The girl who was serving me said that they'd had a few TF palettes like mine brought back for the same reason.

She said they're working on it, but whatever they'll do to stop the issue I don't know.

I felt a bit better when she said about the other palettes, and the other staff member came up with the other palettes too, I was embarrassed and awkward about having to bring them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

keredern wrote: »
    I got a sample but find it very watery & thin.

Not my cup of tea but foundations are so individual! :o
    I agree with that description of the NO.7 Airbrush foundation. Got a small tester of it but didn't like it at all.

I'm actually on my second bottle of this from Rimmel. Don't think i've ever liked or worn for very long any foundation from them ever. Always found them too heavy and greasy. Great coverage and amazing staying power from this one.

2qjd46p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm not getting on with the No7 Airbrush Away at all :(
    Going to try it again once or twice but I think it's a no, disappointed.
    The assistant advised me against the Beautiful Matte because it's apparently not suitable for dry skin but at least it stays on my face and doesn't look unnatural - €22 down the swanee, ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

anniehoo wrote: »
    I agree with that description of the NO.7 Airbrush foundation. Got a small tester of it but didn't like it at all.

I'm actually on my second bottle of this from Rimmel. Don't think i've ever liked or worn for very long any foundation from them ever. Always found them too heavy and greasy. Great coverage and amazing staying power from this one.
    [/IMG]

I love this too - use it far more often than my old favourite Bobbi Brown stick foundation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I've never been much of a lipstick wearer, could never find one that I hadn't smoked, licked, eaten or drank off within minutes.

Discovered Maybelline 24 Superstay lipstick last weekend. It's incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Has anyone seen Rimmel/Kate Moss Lasting Finish Lipstick in 104 anywhere? I need a replacement for my MAC Mehr and apparently this is a good dupe. I've checked all my local Boots, Sam McCauley and McCabes pharmacy and none seem to stock this particular shade.

I bought the image vital c hydrating enzyme mask
    Used it for the first time today.
    I also bought the image max stem cell creme to use at night time.
    Will report back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I bought the image vital c hydrating enzyme mask
    Used it for the first time today.
    I also bought the image max stem cell creme to use at night time.
    Will report back!

Love the image stuff, can't remember the name of it but i used a renewal type cream with retinol in it, in the silver pot (god I'm awful :o) and it smoothed my bumpy jawline completely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I don't put anything on my face only 8 hour cream sometimes or non perfumed moisturiser. Do people put all these creams on every day?

Tasden wrote: »
    Love the image stuff, can't remember the name of it but i used a renewal type cream with retinol in it, in the silver pot (god I'm awful :o) and it smoothed my bumpy jawline completely

It's amazing! I love the peels. And they're so affordable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

eternal wrote: »
    I don't put anything on my face only 8 hour cream sometimes or non perfumed moisturiser. Do people put all these creams on every day?

I used to apply all sorts of lotions and potions everyday but they weren't doing anything to really help my skin (oily, mild acne) so now I only cleanse, acid tone and moisturise.

My skin has gotten even oilier in the last few months and I need a foundation that won't budge come hell or high water. I've tried Double Wear, Clarins Everlasting Foundation, Rimmel Lasting Finish and a few others but they all disintegrate during the day. Any suggestions are welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

It's amazing! I love the peels. And they're so affordable too.

The four layer face lift thing-amazing!

Has anything changed with you to make your skin more oily?
    What's your routine/products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Has anything changed with you to make your skin more oily?
    What's your routine/products

Yeah I came off Dianette (for acne), so I was expecting it anyway.

Eucerin Dermopurifier cleanser, REN Clarimatte Clarifying Toner, La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat moisturiser, same routine twice a day with micellar water for make-up removal. Then for make up I just wear the foundations I mentioned above, sometimes with a mattifying primer and set with Rimmel Stay Matte powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 cutiepiexo

I'm loving the sunshimmer mousse tan it lasts up to 7 days! I got it in the dark shade and its soooo dark I was like a different race one of the darkest tans I've ever used its less than 7 euro as well and doesn't leave streaks or patches must buy girlos!!

Advertisement