Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah I came off Dianette (for acne), so I was expecting it anyway.

Eucerin Dermopurifier cleanser, REN Clarimatte Clarifying Toner, La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat moisturiser, same routine twice a day with micellar water for make-up removal. Then for make up I just wear the foundations I mentioned above, sometimes with a mattifying primer and set with Rimmel Stay Matte powder.

My adivce would be to moisturise more this often solves oiliness as your skin no longer needs to produce so much oil to stop your skin from being dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Bored_lad wrote: »
    More adivce would be to moisturise more this often solves oiliness as your skin no longer needs to produce so much oil to stop your skin from being dry.

Yeah i was just gonna say, by any chance are you using too many "anti oil"/purifying type products? Might be your skin producing oil cause you're drying it out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Eucerin Dermopurifier cleanser, REN Clarimatte Clarifying Toner, La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat moisturiser, same routine twice a day with micellar water for make-up removal. Then for make up I just wear the foundations I mentioned above, sometimes with a mattifying primer and set with Rimmel Stay Matte powder.

Have you thought about more moisturization? Like including a hyaluronic acid serum/moisturiser?

Also have you checked out Inglot HD foundation? I find it to be pretty good. You can always see if you can get a sample and check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I don't think that's the case, the products I use are pretty gentle because overdrying is something I'm conscious of. I might go back to the LRP Hydraphase moisturiser for winter though. Because of the spots, I try not to use anything too rich. It's a tough balancing act!

eternal wrote: »
    I don't put anything on my face only 8 hour cream sometimes or non perfumed moisturiser. Do people put all these creams on every day?

I put a fair few bits on my skin everyday but it's only because my skin is very cranky and dehydrated(not too bad in the summer so I can scale back on the amount of stuff). Now that winter is coming, I'll have to go back to my normal routine of multiple layers purely because if I don't my nose will be an oily mess, my acne will worsen and my facial skin will be parched, dry and flaky(bar my nose). I can notice a difference in my skin if I don't do my routine for a few days, it can be a pain in the ass and sometimes I'll skip steps depending on how much time I have.

• Advertisement

I don't think that's the case, the products I use are pretty gentle because overdrying is something I'm conscious of. I might go back to the LRP Hydraphase moisturiser for winter though. Because of the spots, I try not to use anything too rich. It's a tough balancing act!

I don't envy you, the change in weather and the heating being on etc is wreaking havoc on my poor skin, and having a cold isn't helping it, but its so difficult trying to care for it when its flaring up!

Tasden wrote: »
    I don't envy you, the change in weather and the heating being on etc is wreaking havoc on my poor skin, and having a cold isn't helping it, but its so difficult trying to care for it when its flaring up!

Oh it's a nightmare, you're going back and forth from hot to cold all the time. I work in a pretty warm office and my foundation is sliding off by lunchtime :(

Oh it's a nightmare, you're going back and forth from hot to cold all the time. I work in a pretty warm office and my foundation is sliding off by lunchtime :(

Same! If i find a solution I'll let you know :)

You might just need to go back to the heavier moisturiser and maybe use a spot treatment like salicylic acid or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I bought some products from Urban decay today: the eyeshadow primer, the all-nighter setting spray, and an eyeshadow in the colour "riff". Can't wait to try them all tomorrow! I know the eyeshadow primer is amazing, but I'm interested to see how the setting spray performs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I bought a Catrice Eye Primer recently on a whim, along with some other bits, and when I got home I was thinking "Why did I buy it? It's probably useless." I was very wrong!

Really recommend it; my eyeshadow hasn't been budging at all with it on and it was super cheap!

Alicat wrote: »
    I bought a Catrice Eye Primer recently on a whim, along with some other bits, and when I got home I was thinking "Why did I buy it? It's probably useless." I was very wrong!

Really recommend it; my eyeshadow hasn't been budging at all with it on and it was super cheap!

Might check it out, I'm looking for a decent eye primer(that isn't too dear)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Ilyana, this might sound a bit (or a lot!) mad, but a friend of mine was telling me a while back that she's stopped using cleansers and cleanses her face using honey. I thought it was a bit hippy dippy but tried it and have found my skin isn't as oily, red or bumpy, been doing it now for about a month and won't go back! No idea how it works though. I thought it would feel really sticky but it doesn't, I rub it into my face in the shower and rinse it off with warm water. Just need to be careful not to get it in your hair!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Never even heard of eye primer. I'm so behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Alicat wrote: »

Both Catrice and Essence eye primers are brilliant!!

Catrice is €3.99 & Essence €3.09.

I keep telling you ladies, Catrice & Essence are fantastic for so many products!!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

There's a lot going on there to combat oiliness. Are you really as oily as you think? Just guessing as I haven't seen your skin so I don't know but not all oil is bad (I know you mention you have acne), a little is good, and everyone needs some oil in their skin.
    If your skin is being stripped of too much oil (no matter how gentle the products are, if they're for combatting oily skin that's the nature of them) it's going to over compensate producing even more oil and making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

keredern wrote: »
    I keep telling you ladies, Catrice & Essence are fantastic for so many products!!!! :P

Ah stop i love all their products!! I bought a couple of these recently €1.99 and they're fab. My lips were getting so dry (ironically) from gloss so switched to these balms. Lovely subtle colour for daytime and very creamy.

6g901c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Alice1

Clinique Stay Matte foundation has the best staying power (for me). It can withstand even tropical moments!

Love the Catrice facial primer - haven't tried the eye primer.

I find Bio Oil super for moisturising - specially in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Can anyone recommend a good highlighter / concealer for below the brow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

shakencat wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good highlighter / concealer for below the brow?

I'm quite liking the L'Oreal Lumimagique Highlighter :) Subtle enough that you can whack it all over your eye socket during the day without looking like a glitterball. Meant to be a close dupe of YSL Touche Eclat as both are made by the same company.

• Advertisement

bscm wrote: »
    I'm quite liking the L'Oreal Lumimagique Highlighter :) Subtle enough that you can whack it all over your eye socket during the day without looking like a glitterball. Meant to be a close dupe of YSL Touche Eclat as both are made by the same company.

ooh can i find this in boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

shakencat wrote: »
    ooh can i find this in boots?

Yep! Rosegold pen, I use Light and find it a good match for my pale skin :)

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Lumi-Magique-Concealer_1247628/

Il grab it on pay day this week!

There's a lot going on there to combat oiliness. Are you really as oily as you think? Just guessing as I haven't seen your skin so I don't know but not all oil is bad (I know you mention you have acne), a little is good, and everyone needs some oil in their skin.
    If your skin is being stripped of too much oil (no matter how gentle the products are, if they're for combatting oily skin that's the nature of them) it's going to over compensate producing even more oil and making it worse.

It's pretty bad, I'll have a shiny nose and forehead by 10am and it's not long until my cheeks are a bit greasy too. Most foundations don't really fare too well against it.

I have picked up a different cleanser, the Una Brennan one with rose in it. After a couple of weeks I'll introduce a more intensive moisturiser and see how I get on.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Another day, another purchase....... :)

Ordered some of the new mac collection lastngt/early this morning depending on how you class 1.30 am lol! I ordered the highlighter, 1 of the eyeshadows and the nude lipgloss set (like I need more nude glosses!!)

http://www.brownthomas.com/mac/mac-magic-of-the-night/icat/mac-magic-of-the-night

http://www.brownthomas.com/mac-irresistibly-charming/irresistibly-charming-lip-glossnude-limited-edition/invt/77x1832xmxf201

I got the highlighter in the shade 'oh darling', a champagne colour. Knew it would sell out quick so was delighted they made it available last ngt.
    I will be patiently awaiting the postman tomorrow instead of dreading it as usually its only bills :)

I also popped in to boots for a mooch around when i went food shopping and came out with the sleek ilust palette thanks to my boots points :)

http://www.boots.ie/en/Sleek-Makeup-i-lust-palette-the-gold-standard_1753300/

I wasnt that interested in it till i seen it has two cream glitter shades which looked fab swatched on the back of my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Back from a trip abroad yesterday morning and aside from two airport purchases didn't pick up anything.
    So many plans but the reality of it was I was too busy having a good time to want to shop.

So picked up the travel size urban becay all nighter spray and travel size eye primer. The jury is still out on both. Tuesday I woke up and my face from the night before was flawless I was actually complimented on my makeup by my someone at breakfast who hadn't realized I'll I'd fixed was some gloss. However my eye shadow today has already creased and my skin while perfect is definitely looking dry. I may be a bit dehydrated from traveling still though. We shall have to wait and see.

Went to Sephora but didn't get anything except a small sleep in face mask that was completely useless. The staff hassled me so much every time I picked up an item I was given a full run down on how it worked and how to use it. I eventually just pretended I didn't speak the language and left.

On the other hand really loving the 504 sculpting powder from inglot. So subtle I use it with and without tan. But my gel liner has really dried out and I'm not getting as sleek an application anymore.

Devastated the Mac oh darling highlighter is gone!! I've only ever used liquid highlighters and pigments but recently both the sleek face form palette and even though I don't find it that pigmented I love the finish.
    (Really has to be packed on though)
    😞 so sad. Keep seeing people on Instagram that have brought three or four! Can't understand how you would even get through one in a lifetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

ameliams wrote: »
    Back from a trip abroad yesterday morning and aside from two airport purchases didn't pick up anything.
    So many plans but the reality of it was I was too busy having a good time to want to shop.

So picked up the travel size urban becay all nighter spray and travel size eye primer. The jury is still out on both. Tuesday I woke up and my face from the night before was flawless I was actually complimented on my makeup by my someone at breakfast who hadn't realized I'll I'd fixed was some gloss. However my eye shadow today has already creased and my skin while perfect is definitely looking dry. I may be a bit dehydrated from traveling still though. We shall have to wait and see.

Went to Sephora but didn't get anything except a small sleep in face mask that was completely useless. The staff hassled me so much every time I picked up an item I was given a full run down on how it worked and how to use it. I eventually just pretended I didn't speak the language and left.

On the other hand really loving the 504 sculpting powder from inglot. So subtle I use it with and without tan. But my gel liner has really dried out and I'm not getting as sleek an application anymore.

Devastated the Mac oh darling highlighter is gone!! I've only ever used liquid highlighters and pigments but recently both the sleek face form palette and even though I don't find it that pigmented I love the finish.
    (Really has to be packed on though)
    😞 so sad. Keep seeing people on Instagram that have brought three or four! Can't understand how you would even get through one in a lifetime!

Yep bugs the beejesus out if me seeing people buying multiples of items like that just so they can sell them at a profit! It was the same when the Cinderella stuff was out in march - I got what I wanted but regretted not buying the beauty powders but ther was no way i was willing to pay the stupid prices online after they sold out.
    If your near bt2 in dundrum it might be worth checking for the highlighter - i was in there earlier and even tho oh darling wasnt in the display I heard an mua tell another customer she had it in stock. I just ordered online when i seen it to avoid a mad dash down there this morning as it was busy with the new zara store opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

fifi28 wrote: »
    Yep bugs the beejesus out if me seeing people buying multiples of items like that just so they can sell them at a profit! It was the same when the Cinderella stuff was out in march - I got what I wanted but regretted not buying the beauty powders but ther was no way i was willing to pay the stupid prices online after they sold out.
    If your near bt2 in dundrum it might be worth checking for the highlighter - i was in there earlier and even tho oh darling wasnt in the display I heard an mua tell another customer she had it in stock. I just ordered online when i seen it to avoid a mad dash down there this morning as it was busy with the new zara store opening!

Unfortunately won't be in Dundrum just Galway and I'd say they're sold out. I never go for limited edition stock but this I really wanted. But I mean cmon it's a highlighter and a fairly flashy one at that. Not an everyone day product no way would it be possible to use four. Just people trying to make money same with the whisper of gilt one a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

fifi28 wrote: »

I also popped in to boots for a mooch around when i went food shopping and came out with the sleek ilust palette thanks to my boots points :)

http://www.boots.ie/en/Sleek-Makeup-i-lust-palette-the-gold-standard_1753300/

I wasnt that interested in it till i seen it has two cream glitter shades which looked fab swatched on the back of my hand!

Oooooooh!!!!! Please come back & tell us how good this is!!!

I just picked it up online without seeing it live!

It looks lush!

I so need another brown/gold palette! :rolleyes:

Or indeed any palette...I'm so out of control...a thousand curses on Boots 3 for 2! LMAO :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 maigheo2014

Valentina wrote: »
    Also got this stuff on iherb last night. I love ELF and it's way cheaper on iherb so got a few things, some are not available on the UK/EU site.

Have never ordered off iHerb before, reading so many reviews about extra taxes and hidden payments.. Value on the site though is too tempting!! Has anyone had any negative experiences with iherb with regards to customs??

Advertisement