Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My makeup revolution package arrived. Some of the Black Friday free gift looks decent, the bronzer looks way too dark for me but might work as a highlighter. Can't wait to try the contour palette and brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Lesson learned - don't buy expensive lipstick without trying it on first. You think I would have learned my lesson the first time around!

Had an order from Brown Thomas and decided to throw in a Mac lipstick - you can't get them around here. I searched online to see what was the nicest one to buy and settled for Syrup. Tried it on this morning and while it feels lovely on, it's the same féckin' colour of my lips, so it doesn't show up and feels like I just put a lip balm on. It might be more suited to the summertime.

Should have learned my lesson from the first time I bought a Mac lipstick - again researched what would be a good must have as we were going through The Loop in Dublin. But the day before I got really sick and the morning of the flight my lips had mutated with cold sores. Couldn't try any lippies on so I swatched on the back of my hand and got crème cup. When my cold sores were gone I tried the lippie and found that it's too pale for my lips. I've since improvised with lip liners as I'm not letting it go to waste!

Creme cup didn't work for me either. Washed me out so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Bit of a Boots haul - some Christmas gifts and some stuff for me!
    The 'star gift' this year is a lovely Sanctuary hat box full of goodies my sister in law loves, including little candles and an inflatable bath pillow! Half price until midnight tonight http://www.boots.ie/en/Sanctuary-Relax-Breathe-and-letgo_1733773/ It's not worth over €60 IMO but well worth the €31 I paid for it.
    Also grabbed two of the Sanctuary hand wash and hand lotion gift set - pretty good value and it includes a little ceramic holder with tiny birdies on it, very cute! http://www.boots.ie/en/Sanctuary-Wash-Lotion-Delight_1733753/ and as it was part of the 3 for 2 offer I grabbed a nicely wrapped berry scented toiletry set for a friend in her teens too http://www.boots.ie/en/Boots-Extracts-Berry-Juicy-Box-of-Treats_1700552/
    Needed a decent body lotion and the assistant recommended this one - worth a shot, smells lovely anyway http://www.boots.ie/en/Dove-Derma-Spa-Uplifted-Body-Lotion-200ml-Actions_1711563/
    And something to firm up my poor tummy (have lost a lot of weight so it needs some help!) http://www.boots.ie/en/Nip-Fab-Tummy-Fix-Daily-AB-Toner-100ml_1264191/ half price at the moment, have used their leg fix product before and loved it so I have high hopes for this one to improve the skin texture (I'm not expecting abs of steel or anything, wouldn't that be a Christmas miracle!)
    Tried the Clinique Smart Serum and absolutely love it - it's a fantastic product, works perfectly under my usual Moisture Surge and genuinely made me look radiant without make up, as well as making my make up look flawless... unfortunately I don't love the price tag http://www.boots.ie/en/Clinique-Smart-Custom-Serum-30ml_1497177/ I can't justify the price, even for the smallest bottle! Have a couple of other serum samples to try so hopefully will find something I like that's more sensibly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I was a bit naughty this morning and treated myself to the Gwen Stefani palette by urban decay. There are a lot of paler colours which wouldn't suit everyone but I have very pale skin and features (pale blue eyes, blonde lashes and brows) so I find I get a lot of use out of those types of colours for everyday use. Can't wait to get playing with it now!

SetRatioSize609500-save-it.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As most blogs and reviews are now full of product placement and sponsored opinions, this is the only place I trust for honest recommendations!

Anyone here able to recommend a mac lipstick in a shade similar to creme cup (so a light nudey pink) with a matte or semi matte finish? Was thinking maybe Lovelorn or Hue but open to recommendations! For reference I'm NW30 with blonde hair and green eyes so nothing too pink, don't want to look like a barbie!

Also looking for a recommendation for a good exfoliater? I love the quality of the sea salt one from Lush but the smell of salt turns my stomach so nothing that smells like that!

Thanks ladies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    As most blogs and reviews are now full of product placement and sponsored opinions, this is the only place I trust for honest recommendations!

Anyone here able to recommend a mac lipstick in a shade similar to creme cup (so a light nudey pink) with a matte or semi matte finish? Was thinking maybe Lovelorn or Hue but open to recommendations! For reference I'm NW30 with blonde hair and green eyes so nothing too pink, don't want to look like a barbie!

Also looking for a recommendation for a good exfoliater? I love the quality of the sea salt one from Lush but the smell of salt turns my stomach so nothing that smells like that!

I have Hue and it just does nothing for me (sallow, dark hair, blue eyes); my favourite MAC lipstick is Shanghai Spice, it's got that nude feel with a slight burnt orange undertone, I love love love it.

Velvet Teddy is a similar (matte?) nude with a brownish undertone, or Japanese Maple if you want a pinkier colour.

As I said, I have sallow skin dark hair and blue eyes and I used to wear Saint Germain just painted all over...the shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I was a bit naughty this morning and treated myself to the Gwen Stefani palette by urban decay. There are a lot of paler colours which wouldn't suit everyone but I have very pale skin and features (pale blue eyes, blonde lashes and brows) so I find I get a lot of use out of those types of colours for everyday use. Can't wait to get playing with it now!

Was going to give this palette a miss after being a bit disappointed with all the neutrals but having seen the swatches on pale skin I think I've been won over. Nice mix of matte, satin and shimmery shades too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Ordered these.

MAC Pigment in Jigs and Jive

2jf13t5.jpg

SMASHBOX Photo Op Eye Shadow Trio in Vignette

smashbox-photo-op-eye-shadow-trio-in-vignette-nib-19.gif

34882028.jpg

L.A. GIRL Glazed Lip Paint in Blushing

la-girl-glazed-lip-paint-blushing-swatch.jpg

Placed an order on Sephora also, picked up the following.

Sephora Collection Smokey palette. Photo from Beautezine

Sephora-IT-Palette-9352.jpg

Swatches of the colours

Sephora-IT-Palette-9355.jpgSephora-IT-Palette-9356.jpg

Kat Von D Lock 'N Load Makeup Setting Mist

s1298272-main-Lhero.jpg

Sephora Collection Outrageous Curl mascara. Photo from Lavoguefemme.com

6rptzl.jpg

Deluxe sample of the Laura Mercier Foundation Primer in Radiance

2148103.JPG

Samples of Ralph Lauren Polo Red Intense, Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb, Burberry Fresh Glow - Luminous Fluid Base and a bag of mystery deluxe samples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Pop whirl on entire lip and creme cup on the lips over it, it's beautiful. Creme cup on its own isn't living up to its full potential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

A blogger I follow has said Kat Von D will be stocked in Boots after Christmas... Exciting times! Has anyone used the lock it foundation?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A blogger I follow has said Kat Von D will be stocked in Boots after Christmas... Exciting times! Has anyone used the lock it foundation?

Oh I hope this is true! I've managed to lose my KVD Tattoo Liner, nothing else I have is as good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

So do I, I'll be so disappointed otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Oh I would love to have access to the Kat Von D range, I haven't tried any of the products yet but I've heard such good things!

Has anyone gotten the new Urban Decay Gwen Stefani palette?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Graceless wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten the new Urban Decay Gwen Stefani palette?

I got it today. My son convinced me to get it. It looks gorgeous, haven't tried it yet. Its cheaper here than the UK (which is rare) €46 here vs £40 (about €60)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

WhiteRoses wrote: »

I love Brave and Mehr. Its a pinky nude. Mehr is matte finish but not drying. Cant remember what finish Brave is, but i love it. I think there is a nude ish one called Faux too... It was a toss up between mehr and faux. I went fot the matte finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What about please me,

I really like Patisserie, worked far better than crème cup for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Yes, it my favourite ever foundation. It's super full coverage and thick but it blends out really well. I have adult acne and it covers it. The only thing I'd say is you do need to use some form of primer with it. Which I don't mind. I use the Smashbox one but if they do come to Ireland, I'm going to try the Kat Von D one.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Seconding whirl to go with creme cup. Also blankety and creme d'nude. And Kate moss 03. I'm pretty sure whirl goes with most lipsticks I own

Was convinced I was going to end up picking up the Gwen stefani palette today, but after seeing it in person I feel a bit meh. Loved the pictures when it was released but wasn't that impressed when I saw it. Think I'd prefer the naked smoky palette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

ameliams wrote: »
    Seconding whirl to go with creme cup. Also blankety and creme d'nude. And Kate moss 03. I'm pretty sure whirl goes with most lipsticks I own

Was convinced I was going to end up picking up the Gwen stefani palette today, but after seeing it in person I feel a bit meh. Loved the pictures when it was released but wasn't that impressed when I saw it. Think I'd prefer the naked smoky palette.

I just ordered the Gwen Stefani palette (it's a present from himself for Christmas) so I hope I like it! I already have Naked Smoky though and love it.

Also pre-ordered the Jaclyn Hill champagne pop from Space NK, I had been tempted to get it from Sephora for aaaages so was thrilled when I saw it was available in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I used the Gwen Stefani palette today for the first time and really like it so far. There are some beautiful colours in there but if you prefer a stronger/night-time look it might not suit. it blended easily and lasted well throughout the day (albeit with primer potion underneath). I have very pale skin and eyes so I definitely suit paler shades - I wore it with a bold red lip today.

I used the Gwen Stefani palette today for the first time and really like it so far. There are some beautiful colours in there but if you prefer a stronger/night-time look it might not suit. it blended easily and lasted well throughout the day (albeit with primer potion underneath). I have very pale skin and eyes so I definitely suit paler shades - I wore it with a bold red lip today.

It's good to hear that it lasted well. I'm not very pale so I'm worried some of the neutrals might be too pale for me.

Not that it matters I don't exactly need a new palette! Least of all a neutrals one haha.

One thing about it that really bugs me is the packaging having 6 in each row but the inside is 5. Daft I know but since I noticed it I can't unsee it.

I am raging.
    Back in August/September I bought the real techniques core collection after hearing so many good things about it and it was half price on boots online. I hadn't really tried more than one or two from the brand before and the set was recommended to me. 15 euro isn't bad for 4 brushes. But the reality of it was that I only used 2 of the four. The contour brush for highlight and the buffing brush for foundation.

Cleaning my brushes tonight and the buffing brush completely fell apart, not like a few hairs fell out, the whole thing fell to pieces, the glue completely disintegrated and the head fell off and handle broke into 2 pieces. Now I have used and cleaned hundreds of makeup brushes, cheap ones from penneys, mac, zoeva, inglot etc. So many different brands but I have never ever had a makeup brush fall apart while washing it.

I know 15 euro wasn't a lot of money and I have spent a small fortune on individual brushes from mac but I'm really resenting that 15 euro being spent on one small contour brush that I only use when everything else is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

ameliams wrote: »
    I am raging.
    Back in August/September I bought the real techniques core collection after hearing so many good things about it and it was half price on boots online. I hadn't really tried more than one or two from the brand before and the set was recommended to me. 15 euro isn't bad for 4 brushes. But the reality of it was that I only used 2 of the four. The contour brush for highlight and the buffing brush for foundation.

Cleaning my brushes tonight and the buffing brush completely fell apart, not like a few hairs fell out, the whole thing fell to pieces, the glue completely disintegrated and the head fell off and handle broke into 2 pieces. Now I have used and cleaned hundreds of makeup brushes, cheap ones from penneys, mac, zoeva, inglot etc. So many different brands but I have never ever had a makeup brush fall apart while washing it.

I know 15 euro wasn't a lot of money and I have spent a small fortune on individual brushes from mac but I'm really resenting that 15 euro being spent on one small contour brush that I only use when everything else is dirty.

I'd say you just got a bad set!

I've been using RT brushes (the entire range!!) for ages & all are perfect.

Except one!

The Buffing brush shed a huge clump of fibres.

I brought it back to Boots (with the receipt) after having it three months, and I was refunded immediately.

If you don't have the receipt, ask to speak to the manager & explain.

I'll bet my entire makeup collection they will give you a replacement set!! (bring the whole set with you!)

If you do have any problem, contact their head office.

They are very good at resolving issues in my experience. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

So after trying out my Zoeva brushed a few times and I have to say I really like them. They are so soft and seem to be very good quality and quite similar to MAC brushes.
    I really like the buffing, concealer, highlighter, cheek and powder brushes. Also the eye brushes are really good. There are some crease blending brushes and a lovely brush for doing the outer corner and also a brush for bringing an eyeshadow under the eye. I also love the little angled eyeliner brush - the handle is at an angle and there is a tiny pointed brush which is perfect for doing a precise flick.
    Really happy with them so far.

So I got to play around with the UD Gwen Stefani palette.

Think I'll be giving it a miss- Out of the 15 shades, there's 4 I wouldn't wear (pop, danger, harajuku, 1987. Pop in particular is a mess), 3 that I already own (blackout, skimp, stark) and of the remaining 8, only 3 or 4 I really like. I've also got no shortage or neutrals.

I'm kinda disappointed as its a gorgeous palette, looks and feels great. But on the other hand, I've saved almost €50!

Got this in Dealz.

Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Moss in 06

kate-moss-06.jpg

Photo from https://banhranshop.wordpress.com

Anyone use this before?

http://sukinorganics.com/collections/tone-masques/products/super-greens-detoxifying-facial-masque

Saw it in TK Maxx and was gonna get it but its €12 for a small enough pot, not sure if it'd be worth it.

Was gonna order the purifying mud mask

http://www.sephora.com/mud-mask-purifying-mattifying-P395163?skuId=1617489

Have to get a few more Xmas pressies so was gonna throw that Sephora thing into the basket as well.

Any used it, is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

The Soap & Glory box is going on sale tomorrow.

TBH I don't think i'm going to purchase this year. I've enough hand cream and heel genius to last me a lifetime already.

Advertisement