Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Yes definitely! To help with mascara I sometimes put it down my bra when I'm starting my makeup so that when it comes to applying it, it's warmed up so doesn't go on as cakey. Foundation though is another matter, my base lately has been looking like crap after only a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

The Cool wrote: »
    Yes definitely! To help with mascara I sometimes put it down my bra when I'm starting my makeup so that when it comes to applying it, it's warmed up so doesn't go on as cakey. Foundation though is another matter, my base lately has been looking like crap after only a few hours.

Yeah I definitely agree about the base thing. I wear primer, long-lasting foundations and powder as I have oily skin, but I'm greasy within 2-3 hours and the foundation starts to break down after about 5.

I'm guessing that central heating has something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

anna080 wrote: »
    Anyone else find this cold weather is making their make up application a bit meh? Could be the fact that my products are colder than usual, but nothing is going on as good as it used to...
    The Cool wrote: »
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah I definitely agree about the base thing. I wear primer, long-lasting foundations and powder as I have oily skin, but I'm greasy within 2-3 hours and the foundation starts to break down after about 5.

I'm guessing that central heating has something to do with it.
    I'm the same lately with the base. My skin is usually oily-combo, but in the last two weeks its gotten so dry.

I put coconut oil on my nose last night (which I never have to do, as my t-zone is oily enough) and it had completely absorbed within about half an hour, so today, as I wasn't leaving the house, I mixed coconut oil (just a teeny amount) in with my moisturiser and had to do the same again this evening.

My skin is never this dry and never ever fully absorbs oil, of any kind, so I surprised that it absorbed the coconut oil.

The skin on my nose was flaking off cos my skin is so dry.

Has anyone here tried the Marc Jacobs Re(marc)able Full Cover Foundation? Is it available in BTs or BT2?

I've seen a few Youtubers using it and it looks amazing, full coverage without looking heavy/cakey.

http://www.sephora.com/re-marc-able-full-coverage-foundation-concentrate-P398803?skuId=1711100&icid2=mjb_lp_bestsellers_carousel_brand:marc%20jacobs%20beauty_p398803_image

I really want to try it, but at $55 its too expensive to buy without trying first.

My birthday is next month so I was considering getting it for myself as a treat, but only if I can get a sample of it first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I can't fully understand why but coconut oil just absorbs with out being oily. I mentioned it to someone and they said that's what Polynesian women use and their skin is amazing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Lisha wrote: »
    I can't fully understand why but coconut oil just absorbs with out being oily. I mentioned it to someone and they said that's what Polynesian women use and their skin is amazing .

I actually bought a jar the other day and used it yesterday for the first time. It's amazing! It might be a bit heavy in the summer but for winter skin it really worked at sorting out my skin texture, I massaged in a fair bit as my skin was so dry but it made my face feel lovely. I put a good layer on my dry elbows too and it's worked wonders. Officially on the coconut oil bandwagon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Picked up the Catrice nude illusion foundation about a month ago instead of the all matte I usually use. It's 8.50 instead of the 6.99 that the matte one is. But well worth the extra 1.50. Really lightweight on the skin but great coverage and it lasts quite well. Finish is very like the Giorgio Armani luminous silk. I know most people say it's worth it to splurge on foundation but I really am so lucky in finding drugstore foundations. I love lots of higher end foundations, Mac, Armani and Chanel but I think some drugstore are absolutely fantastic considering the price.

I have to wear makeup for my job and I regularly apply in the morning and then evening a second time for evening events so I go through foundation quite fast and it really does make a difference financially to use a cheaper brand.
    That being said I don't have sensitive skin so don't react to anything and I'm neither too pale nor too dark that I'm not able to find a match.

On the higher end of makeup been using the naked smoky the last few weeks and I love it. If they released a palette of just the four matte shades I would buy it. I like cooler colours so I think it's a great alternative to the warmer previous palettes. Only problem I have with it is that you can't travel anywhere with it. Packaging is really crap plastic that would shatter in my handbag anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Lisha wrote: »

The best oil I have ever used is Marula Oil. WONDROUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

ameliams wrote: »
    Picked up the Catrice nude illusion foundation about a month ago instead of the all matte I usually use. It's 8.50 instead of the 6.99 that the matte one is. But well worth the extra 1.50. Really lightweight on the skin but great coverage and it lasts quite well. Finish is very like the Giorgio Armani luminous silk. I know most people say it's worth it to splurge on foundation but I really am so lucky in finding drugstore foundations. I love lots of higher end foundations, Mac, Armani and Chanel but I think some drugstore are absolutely fantastic considering the price.

I have to wear makeup for my job and I regularly apply in the morning and then evening a second time for evening events so I go through foundation quite fast and it really does make a difference financially to use a cheaper brand.
    That being said I don't have sensitive skin so don't react to anything and I'm neither too pale nor too dark that I'm not able to find a match.

On the higher end of makeup been using the naked smoky the last few weeks and I love it. If they released a palette of just the four matte shades I would buy it. I like cooler colours so I think it's a great alternative to the warmer previous palettes. Only problem I have with it is that you can't travel anywhere with it. Packaging is really crap plastic that would shatter in my handbag anyway.

I adore almost all Catrice foundations!!

They're my goto brand.

Photofinish (discontinued :( ), Velvet, & Matt are some of my favourites.

Would NEVER pay the price for high-end...Catrice is just as good. :eek:

But I have very straightforward skin! :o

Essence & Catrice are two of my all time favourite makeup brands across all products.

Essence's brow gel is spectacular!!! AND €3.09!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

I can't ever find a good foundation from essence. Maybe I haven't tried enough of them. Can anyone tell me what the inglot 4ss brush is called so I can find a dupe. I'm thinking its a dome shaped brush?!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Amrezy was wearing that colour recently and I loved it! I went searching and the closest one I could find was NYX Transylvania. Have you used lipland before? I love Stoned, Purple Velvet and Venetian!

Not product chat as such but I have SUCH a big problem with Amrezy. I appreciate her makeup skills etc but holy god her attitude stinks!!!! I follow(ed) her on snapchat and every single day she was so crude and spoke about her "haters" using horrible language and just being ignorant, I had to unfollow. She leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. If I am going to follow a blogger/MUA their personality is half the reason I follow, and she is replaceable by so many other MUAs.

/rant over :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Amrezy has an awful attitude but I find her being such a bad b itch is half the reason I'm so enthralled. She's hot af too. I'm obsessed. I love her

aine92 wrote: »
    Not product chat as such but I have SUCH a big problem with Amrezy. I appreciate her makeup skills etc but holy god her attitude stinks!!!! I follow(ed) her on snapchat and every single day she was so crude and spoke about her "haters" using horrible language and just being ignorant, I had to unfollow. She leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. If I am going to follow a blogger/MUA their personality is half the reason I follow, and she is replaceable by so many other MUAs.

Could not agree with you more. I was actually disgusted by her and the way she addresses people.
    Sinead from the beautiful truth said she wouldn't work with a brand that associates themselves with Amrezy and I 100% agree.
    She has serious serious issues. A lot of snapchatters/bloggers are in their own little bubble but she is deluded.
    And the way she would only show her mouth on camera when talking about how she ****s all over her haters. Mental.

I don't care about anyone swearing but she comes across absolutely vile.

I wouldn't care if her lipsticks were the only lipsticks that existed on earth I still wouldn't buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

aine92 wrote: »

Her make up is great to be fair! Her style is very much Kim K inspired by the look of things. I'm not mad on her attitude / ego that she has or the fact she talks about being high on her snapchat. Not exactly the best thing to be putting online with you have teenage followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Amrezy has an awful attitude but I find her being such a bad b itch is half the reason I'm so enthralled.

Had to look her up on Youtube. WOW! I lasted about 2 minutes listening to her....horrific attitude. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I got Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser for Christmas and I'm obsessed!! It's the best. Usually I'd wash my face twice to get rid of my make-up after a night out but this stuff gets if off in one. And it doesn't sting my eyes. Amazing, love it!! I'm recommending it to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Got the new Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bon palette today...so excited to try it!!

It's divine!! :)

And it's my first EVER high end product!!! :o :eek:

I have also ordered the original Chocolate Bar & it's due tomorrow!

More excitement! :cool:

Two high end items in one week...I've gone mad, mad I tell ya!!!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I Got my Morphe delivery last week! I bought the 35O and 35P!

Have to say I love them! There's maybe two shades in each palette I'm a bit meh about, but overall I have to say they were worth the wait! Loads of colours to choose from, don't think I'll need to restock on eyeshadows for a long time!! ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

RosyLily wrote: »
    I got Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser for Christmas and I'm obsessed!! It's the best. Usually I'd wash my face twice to get rid of my make-up after a night out but this stuff gets if off in one. And it doesn't sting my eyes. Amazing, love it!! I'm recommending it to everyone.

Have you ever tried the No.7 Hot Cloth Cleanser? I use that and I'd be interested in knowing if there's much difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I recently went to Edinburgh so I was really looking forward to stopping off at The Loop on my way through the airport. Didn't have as much of a shopping list as I thought.

Benefit mascara - They're Real and Roller Lash. BTW anyone flying Aer Lingus, They're Real is €20 onboard the plane.

Wanted a new lipstick from MAC, a pink one as I'm getting bored of nudes. I also said I wanted a daytime lipstick as to be honest I don't really get to go out anymore. The girl suggested Girl About Town Amplified. I wouldn't have picked it myself, it looks quite bright on the bullet, but it is lovely on and not too strong that I actually wore it in daytime and to work last week! Any the lasting power is fab.
    http://www.temptalia.com/product/mac-cosmetics-lipstick/girl-about-town

While the girl done good with that lippie in Mac, she didn't exactly try to tempt me with anything else while I was there. At Urban Decay on the other hand, the guy was so nice, I nearly bought the Gwen Seffani palette from him, but I resisted. It looked so pretty but I needed spends for my trip away and really didn't NEED another palette!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Guys what to you think about Lush??

There's no Lush nearby where I live. I used to live in Dublin and loved walking by their stores and taking a good whiff!! My sis got me some Lush products for Christmas so when I was over in Edinburgh the other weekend I said I would nip into Lush and pick up another shower gel or two as they smell devine.

It's a small store but there were at least 6 staff in there if not more. I found it a very overwhelming experience. As soon as I picked something up they were straight over telling me all about it and wanting to try it on my skin. I found I didn't even really get to look properly as I felt they were watching me, judging what I was looking at. Then when I was paying, while the person on the till was lovely and chatty, we were talking about Ireland and places to visit, one of the staff actually came over, interrupted us during the sale and trying to interest me with some Lush magazine. I think because I had been so over whelmed while I was there I just said no thanks but when I look back now I should have told her off for interrupting me.

Just got a shower gel, and a fresh face mask that I didn't need but felt I had to buy it cos she insisted on trying it on my skin so I felt obliged to buy. Think I will ask my sis to pick up Lush goodies for me anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Taboola wrote: »
    Have you ever tried the No.7 Hot Cloth Cleanser? I use that and I'd be interested in knowing if there's much difference between the two.

I have used both the no 7 and the Liz Earle. I found the no 7 one good but Liz Earle is the superior product imo. It just gives that extra bit more. It cleanses my skin better and leaves it looking more radiant. For me its worth the extra money. I would never go back to the no 7 cleanser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Guys what to you think about Lush??

There's no Lush nearby where I live. I used to live in Dublin and loved walking by their stores and taking a good whiff!! My sis got me some Lush products for Christmas so when I was over in Edinburgh the other weekend I said I would nip into Lush and pick up another shower gel or two as they smell devine.

It's a small store but there were at least 6 staff in there if not more. I found it a very overwhelming experience. As soon as I picked something up they were straight over telling me all about it and wanting to try it on my skin. I found I didn't even really get to look properly as I felt they were watching me, judging what I was looking at. Then when I was paying, while the person on the till was lovely and chatty, we were talking about Ireland and places to visit, one of the staff actually came over, interrupted us during the sale and trying to interest me with some Lush magazine. I think because I had been so over whelmed while I was there I just said no thanks but when I look back now I should have told her off for interrupting me.

Just got a shower gel, and a fresh face mask that I didn't need but felt I had to buy it cos she insisted on trying it on my skin so I felt obliged to buy. Think I will ask my sis to pick up Lush goodies for me anymore.

Lush service is all about that gushing, overly friendly, 'omg we have so much in common have you tried this shampoo bar?!' type experience. It's just how they're trained.
    I hate it, so when I shop there, I just tell the first staff member who approaches me that I would like to just have a quiet browse and that I'll give them a shout if I need any help. They get the message.
    Definitely don't feel obliged to buy just because you get a product demo at Lush - I'm fine with just saying 'no thanks' now but in the past I used to use the old 'I have sensitive skin so I will just see if that area reacts to the product and if it doesn't I might be back later today'.

Taboola wrote: »

I think it depends on the condition of your skin. I know someone has replied saying they find the Liz Earle superior but I think the no. 7 is just as good. But I have zero skin issues with dryness, acne, sensitivity or anything so I don't think the Liz Earle is worth the extra price. No. 7 is perfectly adequate for me but perhaps you'd find the Liz Earle is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

ameliams wrote: »
    I think it depends on the condition of your skin. I know someone has replied saying they find the Liz Earle superior but I think the no. 7 is just as good. But I have zero skin issues with dryness, acne, sensitivity or anything so I don't think the Liz Earle is worth the extra price. No. 7 is perfectly adequate for me but perhaps you'd find the Liz Earle is better.

No7 leaves a strange residue on my skin and leaves my face feeling tight. Liz Earle C&P never makes my skin feel tight, always very soft and never dry. I definitely notice the diffrence and I've been using it for 5 years now. I initially bought the No7 one but never finished it because I got to try the Liz Earle one. That's just my experience of the two products, everyone's different.

In the end I used to the No7 one to clean foundation brushes I think :o

No7 leaves a strange residue on my skin and leaves my face feeling tight. Liz Earle C&P never makes my skin feel tight, always very soft and never dry. I definitely notice the diffrence and I've been using it for 5 years now. I initially bought the No7 one but never finished it because I got to try the Liz Earle one. That's just my experience of the two products, everyone's different.

In the end I used to the No7 one to clean foundation brushes I think :o

We all have different skin so we're bound to react to things differently. My skin doesn't ever change even if I'm stuck with makeup wipes for a couple of days so the more expensive products are only wasted on me haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Picked up this set in TK Maxx today, never even heard of this brand before, hope they are good. :)

91tiSueKI7L._SX522_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FlexiLexi

bought the new Khiels face balm as the weather has really dried out my face - has anyone else tried it?
    So far I'm liking it but afraid to over use incase it clogs pores as it's very heavy.

Also got the 2b organically nitery nite oil over Xmas. Have to say it's lovely but no match for the Khiels midnight recovery or the L'oreal age perfection oil. Those two are just delightful on dry skin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I got Sunday Riley Luna for Christmas and was half expecting it to be rubbish because in my experience these hyped up products never truly live up to all the fuss. Only been using it about 12 days now but oh my I love it, it's amazing. I put it on last thing at night and in the morning my skin is so clear and soft. Make up goes on 100 times better and I just look fresher. Was kind of hoping that I wouldn't like it because it's so expensive but I will def be repurchasing after I finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Got a few things over the fast few weeks and I am really liking them. Firstly I got the Nip + Fab Glycolic Pads in daily strength and they are excellent. There are 60 pads in a box, which is enough for 2 months usage and the glycolic acid strength is perfect for daily usage(2% I think). Since I have been using them, the blackheads in my nose have disappeared and I find that my product sinks in much better. I plan on moving onto the stronger pads though once I have finished these ones, as I am used to acids so I find them a bit weak(they still do the job but not as fast as I would have hoped). Not too bad at €17.99, I could get the Cosrx AHA liquid(which is cheaper and a higher concentration) but I'd rather not wait 2-3 weeks for it to turn up at my door!

The next thing I got was the La Roche Possay Hydreane Riche moisturiser. This is probably my dream moisturiser. Sinks into my skin nicely and it stays nice and moist. Will definitely be repurchasing. I might get the light one as well as I think it might be too much when the summer comes!

I got Benton High Content Snail bee sheet masks as I was running out of my essence but I wanted to check these masks out. I absolutely love them and I will be stocking up on them. My skin feels nice and soft after using them and so moisturised that I could actually skip my serum step and move on to a light moisturiser(which only happens during the summer!). There was also a nice amount of essence left in the packet, meaning that I could use the essence on my face the next day!

The next thing I got was Innisfree bija trouble cleansing gel. It's an incredibly gentle cleanser, that smells nice(not too overpowering) but also has a lot of plant extracts like camellia oil. It doesn't foam, or feel like it's stripping my skin but at the same time does wonders with my oily nose. My only complaint is the pump is a bit flimsy so I just decanted some of it into a travel bottle(the ones boots sell for when you go on a plane) and used that bottle.

I had to replace my Hadalabo toner as I was running out and I had heard rave reviews on r/asianbeauty about Kohakuhada's lotion so I figured I'd try that. It has amber oil and hyaluronic acid which are both excellent for dehydrated skin like mine. I got a set of the toner and a refill pack with express shipping from Japan for the grand total of €20! So far I am really liking it. It's quite thick and gloopy, so I have to get used to using less than what I would have used with the HL toner. Very moisturising and my skin feels really nice after using it. It might be too rich though for summer use, so I may need to look for an alternative when summer comes around.

Finally I got Mizon's Peptide 500, which has hyaluronic acid, elastin and collagen whhich is supposed to be good for fine lines and wrinkles. So far I am enjoying it and I find that after using it I don't have to use my other serums and just skip straight to moisturiser. Which means I'll probably finish off the serums I have and just use this one.

I am currently testing out Missha's Time Revolution First Treatment Essence, which is also used to address fine lines and wrinkles. Not seeing a whole lot of results but it's early days yet and I'll see how I get on. I also tried out a BB cream by Missha, I'm liking it but not enough to replace my Inglot foundation.

I also got samples of Cosrx's snail 90 essence. Absolutely hate it, I prefer the Benton stuff so I might pass it on to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Got a few things over the fast few weeks and I am really liking them. Firstly I got the Nip + Fab Glycolic Pads in daily strength and they are excellent. There are 60 pads in a box, which is enough for 2 months usage and the glycolic acid strength is perfect for daily usage(2% I think). Since I have been using them, the blackheads in my nose have disappeared and I find that my product sinks in much better. I plan on moving onto the stronger pads though once I have finished these ones, as I am used to acids so I find them a bit weak(they still do the job but not as fast as I would have hoped). Not too bad at €17.99, I could get the Cosrx AHA liquid(which is cheaper and a higher concentration) but I'd rather not wait 2-3 weeks for it to turn up at my door!

The next thing I got was the La Roche Possay Hydreane Riche moisturiser. This is probably my dream moisturiser. Sinks into my skin nicely and it stays nice and moist. Will definitely be repurchasing. I might get the light one as well as I think it might be too much when the summer comes!

I got Benton High Content Snail bee sheet masks as I was running out of my essence but I wanted to check these masks out. I absolutely love them and I will be stocking up on them. My skin feels nice and soft after using them and so moisturised that I could actually skip my serum step and move on to a light moisturiser(which only happens during the summer!). There was also a nice amount of essence left in the packet, meaning that I could use the essence on my face the next day!

The next thing I got was Innisfree bija trouble cleansing gel. It's an incredibly gentle cleanser, that smells nice(not too overpowering) but also has a lot of plant extracts like camellia oil. It doesn't foam, or feel like it's stripping my skin but at the same time does wonders with my oily nose. My only complaint is the pump is a bit flimsy so I just decanted some of it into a travel bottle(the ones boots sell for when you go on a plane) and used that bottle.

I had to replace my Hadalabo toner as I was running out and I had heard rave reviews on r/asianbeauty about Kohakuhada's lotion so I figured I'd try that. It has amber oil and hyaluronic acid which are both excellent for dehydrated skin like mine. I got a set of the toner and a refill pack with express shipping from Japan for the grand total of €20! So far I am really liking it. It's quite thick and gloopy, so I have to get used to using less than what I would have used with the HL toner. Very moisturising and my skin feels really nice after using it. It might be too rich though for summer use, so I may need to look for an alternative when summer comes around.

Finally I got Mizon's Peptide 500, which has hyaluronic acid, elastin and collagen whhich is supposed to be good for fine lines and wrinkles. So far I am enjoying it and I find that after using it I don't have to use my other serums and just skip straight to moisturiser. Which means I'll probably finish off the serums I have and just use this one.

I am currently testing out Missha's Time Revolution First Treatment Essence, which is also used to address fine lines and wrinkles. Not seeing a whole lot of results but it's early days yet and I'll see how I get on. I also tried out a BB cream by Missha, I'm liking it but not enough to replace my Inglot foundation.

I also got samples of Cosrx's snail 90 essence. Absolutely hate it, I prefer the Benton stuff so I might pass it on to someone.

Advertisement