Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Bought a Rimmel Scandaleyes eyeliner and it's awful. Bearly any colour comes out and you have to scrap it over your eye. Went and got a Catrice one - way better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Bought The Balm Meet Matte Hughes liquid lipstick in the shade Charming. I already have Sentimental which I am wearing at the mo so I can't swatch Charming on my lips just yet. Was worried it might be too dark on me but just swatched on the back of my hand there's a pinky undertone to it rather than brown so I think I'm ok.
    http://www.cloud10beauty.com/brands/thebalm/thebalm-meet-matt-e-hughes-liquid-lipstick.html
    Just a lil update on The Balm meet matt hughes in Charming: Love it! Been wearing it much of this week (except today cos I didn't get time to apply it this morning). The shade is just right for me. While I get the hype for 90's nudey browns, many of them just look awful on me, too brown and looks like I took my original makeup from back then out of the vault! But this just is just the right shade of 90's nude for me!! Also the wearing on it is pretty good, it passes the cuppan tae test. Obviously there is some fading and wear as the day goes on but I've found I can apply in the morning, reapply after lunch and that's me done for the day. Bit drying but I've had the radiator full blast beside me all week and not been moisturising my lips as much so that's not helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

ameliams wrote: »
    I know there's a Rimmel one and the soap and glory catflick one is meant to be good but this was only 3.50 and it's perfect for strong precise wing.

I actually found the Soap and Glory version quite painful to apply. Felt tip part is quite hard and really have to drag it over eyes to get a decent application. Wouldn't purchase again.

Using a L'oreal Infallible eyeliner at the minute, really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've been using the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liner since Christmas and, having gotten used to the super flexible nib, I really like it. It's not the easiest to use initially but it's quite pigmented and it lasts all day. I have really oily eyelids and it's the only liner I've used that doesn't smudge onto my browbone. There's a little fading in the inner corners but that's it. A solid 9/10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good moisturiser for dry skin? Finding my skin is getting very dry.

I can tell you the product I use Monsia Skincare. It suits my skin which is normal for most of the year but ultra dry in the winter. So as soon as the central heating is on after putting on my night moisturiser I also add a few drops of vit E oil to seal in the moisture, mainly to my neck, forehead & around my eyes. I have a humidifier in our bedroom as well. Works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I have oily lids and watery eyes, and I've found the Maybelline Master Precise eyeliner pen great! I have two colours (brown and black), and they both actually last well on me. I don't do winged eyeliner though, so not sure how it would stand up to that.

Did anyone sign up for Birchbox? It's available in Ireland now. I just cancelled my Beauteque Mask Maven (which is a great subscription for anyone interested in sheet masks/Asian skincare. I'd defo recommend it. I just cancelled it as I want to use up my current sheet mask stash, but I will probably sign up again in a few months) so I thought I'd give Birchbox a go for this month anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

I just cancelled my Beauteque Mask Maven (which is a great subscription for anyone interested in sheet masks/Asian skincare. I'd defo recommend it. I just cancelled it as I want to use up my current sheet mask stash, but I will probably sign up again in a few months) so I thought I'd give Birchbox a go for this month anyway.

How much is the postage on this to Ireland and would you recommend the month-by-month subscription or would you do a three month subscription?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Sheela wrote: »
    How much is the postage on this to Ireland and would you recommend the month-by-month subscription or would you do a three month subscription?

Thanks

Shipping was $8.95 a month, which worked out as a total of $23.95 (roughly 21 euro or so). There's a few youtubers (The Beauty Breakdown and Victoria Donelda are ones I know of anyway) who have discount codes which can give you 10% off I think. You get around 10 masks each month, mostly sheet masks for your face, but I've gotten mask packs, hand masks and some 3 in 1 types (with a cleanser/essence) too. I went for the month by month subscription myself, purely because it suited my financial situation better to be able to pay each month. It's definitely not the cheapest subscription service when shipping is included, but the fact that it was under the limit for customs fees was great. I found their customer service to be really good too. It was generally the end of the month when the parcel arrived (fits through letterbox, so no need to sign for it). All in all, I think it's worth it for the overall price.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Shipping was $8.95 a month, which worked out as a total of $23.95 (roughly 21 euro or so). There's a few youtubers (The Beauty Breakdown and Victoria Donelda are ones I know of anyway) who have discount codes which can give you 10% off I think. You get around 10 masks each month, mostly sheet masks for your face, but I've gotten mask packs, hand masks and some 3 in 1 types (with a cleanser/essence) too. I went for the month by month subscription myself, purely because it suited my financial situation better to be able to pay each month. It's definitely not the cheapest subscription service when shipping is included, but the fact that it was under the limit for customs fees was great. I found their customer service to be really good too. It was generally the end of the month when the parcel arrived (fits through letterbox, so no need to sign for it). All in all, I think it's worth it for the overall price.

Thanks for the detailed response - am definitely going to sign up today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I bought the Kevyn aucoin foundation and skin enhancer today. I'm going out tonight so I'll post a review on how I found the products over the weekend. Excited!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Bought the NYX Matt lip cream in Monte Carlo and I adore it. Wore it over the NYX lip pencil Cabaret today not joking but 4 different people commented on how nice it looked and how big my lips looked wearing it. I think it cost €12 for both of them. I'm apprehensive of buying expensive lip colours in case they don't suit me but I bought this on a whim last week and I'm in love! Definitely going to have another look at the NYX stand to see what the other colours are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My hands are always dry and chapped, especially my thumbs (which looked awful; all scaly and bits of scraggy skin on them) but I was never really a user of hand-cream because I'd only ever used Neutrogena Hand Cream and that stuff never sinks in.

It seems to leave a greasy film on your hands so I kinda gave up on hand-cream.
    Well last week I bought this:

2vulu9t.jpg

It's brilliant!
    It was €5.29 in Boots and I've been using it two or three times a day for the past week and my hands are super soft.

My thumbs especially are smooth now and the great thing is that even after washing your hands, they still feel silky.

The other great thing is that this actually sinks in and your hands don't feel greasy afterwards.

Definitely recommend this cream to everyone with dry hands.

PS It smells amazing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I bought the Kevyn aucoin foundation and skin enhancer today. I'm going out tonight so I'll post a review on how I found the products over the weekend. Excited!
    Oooh fab, dying to hear what you think of them. :) Can I ask, what shade did you get in the skin enhancer and what shade are you in MAC?

I'm looking to get the SE but trying to work out what would be similar/the same as NW20 in MAC is proving difficult :(
    Wellyd wrote: »
    Bought the NYX Matt lip cream in Monte Carlo and I adore it. Wore it over the NYX lip pencil Cabaret today not joking but 4 different people commented on how nice it looked and how big my lips looked wearing it. I think it cost €12 for both of them. I'm apprehensive of buying expensive lip colours in case they don't suit me but I bought this on a whim last week and I'm in love! Definitely going to have another look at the NYX stand to see what the other colours are like.
    I also picked up the NYX Cabernet lipliner yesterday, was going to get Monte Carlo but decided against it, may pick it up this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Evening ladies. I read the thread quite a bit so I'm asking for abit if advice please .

I'm 38yr old female. And I don't wear make up every day. Possibly I wear it about 4-5times a month.

I use MAC and have done so for 10+yrs.

I want something new. Nice coverage but not too heavy. I hate the feel of heavy make up.

Obviously my skin is now ageing :( it feels slightly sensitive, like its hot a tiny bit st times. Abd I have a tiny bit of rosaecea in one cheek.

What brands should I try first. ? Should I ask s beautician fur advice.? I'm unsure where to start.

I use la Roche posay skin wash and have been using cheapy moisturisers but I think that's going to change.

Thanks for any help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Has anyone ever used any of the Crown eyeshadow brushes? Saw them online and I couldn't believe how cheap they were, but I was thinking maybe they wouldn't be so great because of that. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

babynice wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used any of the Crown eyeshadow brushes? Saw them online and I couldn't believe how cheap they were, but I was thinking maybe they wouldn't be so great because of that. Thanks! :)

I think they are so cheap simply because they're not branded. I have 5 of their brushes and find them very good, no issues with quality whatsoever. They blend my eyeshadows just as well as my high end brushes and have never shed. I have mine just over two years and they're as good as new, would definitely recommend them.

The ones I have are:
    - pointed blender
    - blending crease
    - fluffy blending
    - mini concealer
    - precision crease

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have dehydrated combination skin and it's a pain in the ass to find products that suit it. Everything either dries me out or makes me really oily. I think I may finally have found the perfect moisturiser though! Avene Hydrance Optimale Light.

It's a lovely light texture that soaks in well and leaves me with beautifully soft skin. I wake up every morning absolutely amazed that my skin is exactly as soft and smooth as it was after I moisturised the previous day. This hasn't happened in years. It has its drawbacks because I keep touching my face to make sure it's not just a dream. :D I know I sound like a maniac here but I never thought I'd find any moisturiser that would suit me that well.

Just thought I'd post about it because it's very difficult to find recommendations for dehydrated skin that are readily available at an okay price. It's included in the Boots 3 for 2 on skincare at the moment.

Kevyn Aucoin sensual foundation:

It's amazing. The only word for it. If I skimmed over all my posts in this thread previously, I think my biggest struggle was finding a foundation I was happy with. I find Mac foundations don't suit me, (I'd be a nw10) as I don't like studio fix but all the other foundations just aren't the right colour. I used studio sculpt in nc15 for ages and it wasn't perfect but it was the least terrible.
    I also wear alabaster in bobbi brown which I do quite like, but it doesn't give me the finish I like.

So, I bought the foundation in 02, and the skin enhancer in 02. The foundation is amazing. Because it's a serum it feels so good on the skin. It's so silky and light it's like having nothing on your face. It applies like a dream. It lasts. It's comfortable. But above all, it leaves you looking absolutely flawless.

Even at 68 euro per bottle it's definately a product I'll wear a lot and would be happy so far to repurchase.

I didn't need a lot of the skin enhancer but it's like erase paste, you put that on and there is no imperfections. Apparently it can be used as a foundation too but haven't tried it yet. It can be quite cakey so I've literally only used a dot of it.

I have normal skin that's a little dehydrated and it suits my skin perfectly.

Edit: here's the colour (02) on
    331k5kl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Oh Lexie first you look absolutely gorgeous!!! You have me nearly sold on this foundation. I have been eyeing it up a good while. I am kinda between this s a Marc Jacobs one at the moment. would you say the finish is dewy?

It's not dewy, but it's just a beautiful finish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

What lipstick are you wearing there Lexi? Also do you have lip liner on too?

I have charlotte tilsbury pillow talk on to line the lips and the colour is Nyx Copenhagen :)

Just bought amrezys Montenegro. Cannot wait for it to arrive!

It's no wonder I actually never have a cent to my name :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

It's not dewy, but it's just a beautiful finish

hey LexieOnRale, Have a friend in states at moment and going to put in an order the foundation - he male so needs exact instuctions ; >! I like "beige" color foundation - not too fair/ivory but nothing to dark either. From site I cannot decide what color be best - i know hard question but by chance youknow what be a good match for beige type foundation ? i was looking at SF05 or SF07

God to be honest I couldn't tell you an exact match. I'm extremely pale, with cool undertones on my face but warm tones on my neck, I'm an nw10 in Mac and 02 in KA.
    I'd say 03 is nw15 or slightly darker and 04 is what I would wear with tan.
    I didn't even look at anything darker than 04

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Ugh, I want that KA foundation so much now! Thank god I have no idea how to work out my shade or I'd be ordering it tonight. :o

Haha has anyone else tried it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

God to be honest I couldn't tell you an exact match. I'm extremely pale, with cool undertones on my face but warm tones on my neck, I'm an nw10 in Mac and 02 in KA.
    I'd say 03 is nw15 or slightly darker and 04 is what I would wear with tan.
    I didn't even look at anything darker than 04

cool thanks I am making a gamble on either SF05 or SF07 from looking at the tones on the bottle on website ( have instructed my friend to say looking for a more beige tone so ask for recommendation )

Risky strategy ; >!
    Will see how it goes and report back !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Picked up these in TK Maxx, I'm running out of skincare items so I said I'd grab these.

Organic Surge Intensive Smoothing Serum

product_intensiveserum.jpg?v=1421234192

Organic Surge Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser

10_year_HCC_ff0e746f-2a27-4bbb-b2e3-df522614de44.jpg?v=1443692053

Organic Surge Perfecting Face Polish

face_scrub.jpg?v=1444735135

Too Faced Better Than False Lashes - took a quick glance and thought it was the better than sex mascara so grabbed it, only just realised its not lol. :o Hope its good anyway.

review-too-faced-better-than-false-lashesDSCN9391_zps2e27e027.png

Advertisement