Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I love love double wear on my Mum. And it's a favourite of many but is quite simply cement on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I really like Double Wear for days when I want my skin to look perfectly even. I have some acne scarring and I like how it covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Double wear looks fine on me. I don't get the hate either! I do use a tiny little drop for my whole face, so many that's why it looks fine. People have often asked if I'm even wearing make up when I wear it :o. It's one of the only foundations that doesn't melt off my face or stick to dry patches. I have combination skin and find it hard to get foundations that looks good. The colour I use is 1N2 (ecru) which isn't perfect, but good enough. I almost always wear a bit of bronzer with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

DH, you're spot on, it is stage like. I admire it on other people and absolutely hated it on myself.
    http://i66.tinypic.com/mjqr2s.jpg

I don't know if it's the wrong colour for me, or what, but it's left me wondering how people like it at all. It even feels uncomfortable

I think it looks fab on you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It feels awful Anna, like if I moved my face it would crack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i just can't get the right shade in double wear!!! i used to love it when i was traveling, i would have been browner then though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Tried it ages ago and even a tiny drop felt much too heavy and caked, I felt that my skin could not breathe. Could just be imagination of course, will stick to just my Monsia day moisturiser with SPF15 plus Boots #7 match made foundation, very light and leaves a slight healthy glow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I dug out my Double Wear for a wedding last summer and to be honest, it looked cack. I have spotty, oily skin with lots of scarring so you'd think it would have been perfect but it managed to make the already bad texture look even worse. It got really oily during the day (amazingly) and I had lots of cracks in my non-existent laughter lines and around my eyes. I'm 24 ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I hated double wear, it was absolutely awful. It was thick, heavy, uncomfortable and mask like. Double wear like wasn't (for me anyway) much better.

Has anyone tried the new true match by L'Oreal? I tried the old one and didn't like it at all, wonder if this is any better.

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Paris-True-Match-Foundation-30ml_1727639/

See Boots have the infallible setting spray, wonder if its any good?

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Infallible-Fixing-Mist-100ml_1778816/

I'm currently finishing up my infallible foundation and I'm just over half way through it and its not as good as it was when I first got it, its separates on my skin (around my nose and sides of mouth), looks shiny (even with powder), not sure what it is, I'm using other foundations and don't have that issue with them so its not my skin that's the issue.

I was loving it but now I don't think I would repurchase.

I am desperate to try that Marc Jacobs one........I've myself half convinced at this stage........:o

Has anyone tried the new true match by L'Oreal? I tried the old one and didn't like it at all, wonder if this is any better.

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Paris-True-Match-Foundation-30ml_1727639/

I don't know what the old one was like, but the new one is okay. The coverage is on the natural side of medium, and it's pretty glowy. Lasting power isn't bad on oily skin, but it's nothing special really. There's a good bit of shimmer but it doesn't translate to the face very much.

I don't mind using it for everyday to give my more expensive foundations a break, but it's nothing to rave about IMO.

• Advertisement

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I don't know what the old one was like, but the new one is okay. The coverage is on the natural side of medium, and it's pretty glowy. Lasting power isn't bad on oily skin, but it's nothing special really. There's a good bit of shimmer but it doesn't translate to the face very much.

I don't mind using it for everyday to give my more expensive foundations a break, but it's nothing to rave about IMO.
    Thanks for this. I must have a look at the testers in my local Boots when they are out.

The old one was similar coverage to what you described, but it was horribly shiny, separated and smeared (on my skin anyway), looked cakey at first until it separated/smeared, lasting power was horrendous.

Penneys red lipliner. 1.50. Put it on this morning all over my lips at 7.30. Breakfast,lunch, 2 litres of water and countless cups of coffee later and it's perfect. Not faded, smudged uneven anything. Hands down the best lip product I have ever ever used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

shakencat wrote: »
    i just can't get the right shade in double wear!!! i used to love it when i was traveling, i would have been browner then though :(

Estee Lauder changed all the labeling of their shades there bout 4-5 years ago. Fcuked up imo. Double wear hasn't been the same. The also discontinued my favourite ever foundation the make....equaliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I dug out my Double Wear for a wedding last summer and to be honest, it looked cack. I have spotty, oily skin with lots of scarring so you'd think it would have been perfect but it managed to make the already bad texture look even worse. It got really oily during the day (amazingly) and I had lots of cracks in my non-existent laughter lines and around my eyes. I'm 24 ffs :rolleyes:

Hi Ive the exact same skin type as you are there any foundations you recommend?? I've been using revlon colourstay for a few years now, it's fine but I'm on the lookout for something a bit more dewy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've always been a loyal fan of Maybelline mascaras. Only in the last year I've been using Benefit mascaras, really only because I got samples of them, liked them and happened to be going through the Loop so I could get them cheaper.

But I decided I would go back to Maybelline and get their Lash Sensation mascara for night time.
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Maybelline-Lash-Sensational-Lash-Multiplying-Mascara-9-5ml_1655586/
    The brush is good, and gives good volume. But after a few hours the mascara goes flakey. Flakes get into my eyes and hurt! It's also not the easiest to get off and I don't think it's waterproof. Jury's out on this one.

Has anyone got the NYX soft matte lip cream? I picked up two of them about a week and a half ago - Amsterdam and San Paulo. I haven't used Amsterdam yet but have used San Paulo a few times. Anyone notice a funny smell from the lip cream? I noticed it this morning, I can smell it off the applicator but the smell doesn't translate onto the lips at least. It can't be gone off as I've only just got it and it was sealed.

I have Copenhagen and it smells like vanilla

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi Ive the exact same skin type as you are there any foundations you recommend?? I've been using revlon colourstay for a few years now, it's fine but I'm on the lookout for something a bit more dewy.

To be honest I struggle to find foundations I really like, I haven't found any kind of holy grail yet! That said, the following are foundations that tick most of my boxes. None of them are completely matte because my skin is so oily. They all offer medium-full coverage with varying degrees of lasting power.

- No7 Beautifully Matte
    - NARS Sheer Glow
    - Laura Mercier Silk Creme
    - NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturiser
    - Rimmel Lasting Finish Nude

Too Faced Better Than False Lashes - took a quick glance and thought it was the better than sex mascara so grabbed it, only just realised its not lol. :o Hope its good anyway.

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii517/thefabzilla/review-too-faced-better-than-false-lashesDSCN9391_zps2e27e027.png
    Quick update on this: its crap. Absolute crap.

It's clumpy, half dried out, my lashes stick together and absolutely nothing get them separated until I take off the mascara, it flakes, smudges, gives no length/volume or anything. It does nothing at all.

It's less than half decent for bottom lashes, and I've got a lot of bottom lashes, this doesn't do anything for them, and does even less for my top lashes.

Waste of money. Avoid!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I have two of the NYX SMLCs and they smell kind of sugary/vanilla-y.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've ordered a NYX sharpie type felt tip eyeliner, I'm so excited :D
    http://www.boots.ie/en/NYX-Super-fat-eye-marker-Carbon-black_1779891/

Somebody please stop me buying make up!!
    Got a Rimmel lipstick last weekend and am wearing it today. Rimmel's the only 1 lipstick in 510 best of the best. It's a proper red, like a red red! Wearing is great so far, although I have a coat of lipcote over it. I put it on at 8.55 this morning, had 2 cuppas, a banana and my lunch and it's still intact.
    I like the colour, it is a little strong for work but I have a red top on also so it's not too stark. But I'm not a fan of the stick itself. It's big and flat topped, I found it difficult to apply to my lips - maybe I have a small mouth or thin lips but you would need to line your lips first and then use a lip brush to apply - but I didn't have time for either this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

dee_mc wrote: »

I bought this too when NYX first arrived here and it's not black enough, it's basically grey. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Has anyone got the NYX soft matte lip cream? I picked up two of them about a week and a half ago - Amsterdam and San Paulo. I haven't used Amsterdam yet but have used San Paulo a few times. Anyone notice a funny smell from the lip cream? I noticed it this morning, I can smell it off the applicator but the smell doesn't translate onto the lips at least. It can't be gone off as I've only just got it and it was sealed.

I have pretty much all of these as I think they are amaaaazing, mine all smell sugary and like a vanilla cake, so yummy. NYX customer service is useless so unfortunately if you got a bad product you might be best off re-purchasing!

aine92 wrote: »
    dee_mc wrote: »

I bought this too when NYX first arrived here and it's not black enough, it's basically grey. :(

Highly recommend the essence one very black.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Somebody please stop me buying make up!!
    Got a Rimmel lipstick last weekend and am wearing it today. Rimmel's the only 1 lipstick in 510 best of the best. It's a proper red, like a red red! Wearing is great so far, although I have a coat of lipcote over it. I put it on at 8.55 this morning, had 2 cuppas, a banana and my lunch and it's still intact.
    I like the colour, it is a little strong for work but I have a red top on also so it's not too stark. But I'm not a fan of the stick itself. It's big and flat topped, I found it difficult to apply to my lips - maybe I have a small mouth or thin lips but you would need to line your lips first and then use a lip brush to apply - but I didn't have time for either this morning!

How do you use your lipcote?? I've used it on a load of different lipsticks and it never seems to help. Plus it stings the bejaysus out of my lips for about 30 seconds after its applied!

I FIBALLY FINALLY FINALLY GOT STONE LIPLINER

I've been hounding Mac since August

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

aine92 wrote: »

Haven't played with it yet, only got it today, but I'm ok with it not being super black. I like grey eyeliner. I'm fierce cack-handed though so there's a decent chance I will end up looking like someone drew on me with magic marker... we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I picked up a bottle of Dr Bronner's Liquid Soap a couple of months ago and have to rave about it. It's never been so quick or easy to clean my makeup brushes, especially ones with natural hairs. I usually hate washing my foundation brushes especially but it's done in a flash using this stuff. And it comes in different scents, so it leaves them smelling lovely too. :D

Would highly recommend picking up a bottle if you spot it anywhere, I got mine in TK Maxx!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

ShazGV wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle of Dr Bronner's Liquid Soap a couple of months ago and have to rave about it. It's never been so quick or easy to clean my makeup brushes, especially ones with natural hairs. I usually hate washing my foundation brushes especially but it's done in a flash using this stuff. And it comes in different scents, so it leaves them smelling lovely too. :D

Would highly recommend picking up a bottle if you spot it anywhere, I got mine in TK Maxx!

Oh, can I ask what size bottle & how much? :o

Advertisement