Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Of course! I got the 8 fl oz (237ml) bottle for €5.99. Amazing value. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Not strictly beauty but got a bit of a bargain on my favourite perfume :)
    http://www.boots.ie/en/FlowerByKenzo-Eau-de-Parfum-30ml-gift-set_1729551/
    Same set is about €10 more expensive anywhere I checked online, and I got a fiver back in advantage card points for spending €50 in Boots (got a Maybelline eyebrow pencil and NYX eyeliner too)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow Dee Mac - that's a good price. Kenzo flower is one of my favourite perfumes, it doesn't come cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Speaking of perfumes does anyone know where you can buy Givenchy Eaudemoiselle? It's my absolutely favourite perfume but it can't be found anywhere anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

anna080 wrote: »
    Speaking of perfumes does anyone know where you can buy Givenchy Eaudemoiselle? It's my absolutely favourite perfume but it can't be found anywhere anymore

Is this it?

http://www.perfume-click.ie/Givenchy-Eaudemoiselle-Eau-de-Toilette-50ml-Spray-s4360/

http://www.johnlewis.com/givenchy-eaudemoiselle-de-givenchy-eau-de-toilette/p142477

Hope that helps. :)

• Advertisement

How do you use your lipcote?? I've used it on a load of different lipsticks and it never seems to help. Plus it stings the bejaysus out of my lips for about 30 seconds after its applied!
    Used in a rush!! I just quickly wiped it on my lips with the applicator and rushed out the door. It stung for a few seconds but because I was rushing about it wasn't bad. Used it again this morning over MAC Brave. I think because I have used it over a fairly heavy creamy lipstick application on both days that maybe it doesn't sting so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I bought clarins blue orchid oil, clarins concealer and 2 clarins lip tints in the duty free yesterday. I've wanted the oil and the concealer for ages. Lip tints were an indulgence!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Was in Italy last week and popped into a Kiko shop. Picked up a few bits which so far I am really happy with.

2 X lip gloss pencils. Not usually a fan of lip gloss as it always dried my lips out but these are great. They go on well and last. There is a nice bit of shimmer in them but not too much. I picked up a ruby red and beige glitter. Really liking them so far. http://www.kikocosmetics.com/en-ie/make-up/lips/lip-glosses/Pencil-Lip-Gloss/p-KM00203005

Also grabbed a couple of eyeshadows. One single brown and another quad. http://www.kikocosmetics.com/en-ie/make-up/eyes/eyeshadows/Color-Fever-Eyeshadow-Palette/p-KM00309001 This was the quad (colour 100). Have used it twice now and the colours are lovely and blend well together.

They also had a sale on and I picked up some of their limited edition stuff. Got a plum coloured eye liner which really stays put and doesn't transfer (thats a real problem for me as I have quite hooded eyes). Also a mineral powder foundation that is great for light day coverage and a water infused eye shadow stick in a glittery plum shade.

Only for the husband getting impatient I probably could have bought a lot more!

Great to know they ship to Ireland though so I can shop away without any distractions!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Anyone here use the Kat Von D lock it tattoo foundation?

Was looking at swatches online and was thinking maybe a Light 46 or 48 might suit me, would that be the same or extremely similar to NW20 in MAC?

If it was slightly too light I wouldn't mind as I could use bronzer to warm it up, too dark I obviously don't want.

Would appreciate any help at all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

Was looking at swatches online and was thinking maybe a Light 46 or 48 might suit me, would that be the same or extremely similar to NW20 in MAC?

If it was slightly too light I wouldn't mind as I could use bronzer to warm it up, too dark I obviously don't want.

I have the lock it foundation in 44 and I would say it's roughly equivalent to an nw15 (it's a little darker than my sff in nw13). From a quick google image search 46 doesn't look that much darker than 44 so I'd say maybe 48 would be closest to an nw20 but just a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

I have it in 46 but have never used MAC foundations to help that way.
    (Findation.com says I'd be NW15 in ProLongwear and NW10 in SFF)

46 is quite dark for me so I only use it at night or when I've tanned. Here it is next to (left) my usual foundations - Loreal True Match in Rose Ivory (m) and Rimmel Match Perfection in Light Porcelain (r). Hope that helps a bit!

fac386f8-614c-4dc0-9612-16f376f4d551.jpg20160220_171822.jpg?t=145590398820160220_171855.jpg?t=1455903907

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Not a purchase but an observation.

I have brown eyes and I tend to gravitate towards cool colours for eyeshadow. Just a personal preference nothing else.
    For example the morphe 350 palette has no appeal to me whatsoever.
    Yet if I wear a burgundy or something red toned, i.e. Warm colours. I will always always be complimented on my eye makeup.
    I can't figure if it's because people in general tend to prefer warm colours or I actually look better in warm colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

After buying 5 eye shadows in Inglot, all different shades of purple to do a purple smokey eye, and the 440 Matt (violet lipstick)
    As always, I'll pop up a pic of the products and the look.
    Good lord, if anyone finds a makeupholic anon group please let me know

tomissex wrote: »
    I have it in 46 but have never used MAC foundations to help that way.
    (Findation.com says I'd be NW15 in ProLongwear and NW10 in SFF)

46 is quite dark for me so I only use it at night or when I've tanned. Here it is next to (left) my usual foundations - Loreal True Match in Rose Ivory (m) and Rimmel Match Perfection in Light Porcelain (r). Hope that helps a bit!

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/tomissex/fac386f8-614c-4dc0-9612-16f376f4d551.jpghttp://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/tomissex/20160220_171822.jpg?t=1455903988http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/tomissex/20160220_171855.jpg?t=1455903907]
    Thanks so much for this, the 46 looks a bit dark for me also.

I can't remember what colour I used in that Rimmel foundation but I've a feeling it was light porcelain.

Maybe 44 or 45 in the KVD would suit me best. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

What is MAC foundation like?

Haven't splurged on foundation in years. Always use rimmel.

La.de.da wrote: »
    What is MAC foundation like?

Haven't splurged on foundation in years. Always use rimmel.
    I've tried pro longwear and didn't like it, I personally found it heavy and my skin couldn't breath in it. I also had loads of red marks (like scars, but they weren't scars) on my face after I removed it which were gone the next day. So it brought out a reaction in me. It was really really heavy and I only used a small amount of it. That said, it looked great, lasted well etc.

If I was going to a wedding or something and needed a flawless base that would last, I would use and recommend it, despite the reaction, as it only lasted a few hours and wasn't sore or anything, but I wouldn't use the foundation all the time or on a regular basis, but that's just me personally.

I've tried the studio sculpt too (the one in the tube) and it was great, I loved it, not as flawless or long lasting as pro longwear but it didn't have the heavy feeling or wasn't as long lasting but it is a great option too, coverage isn't as full as pro longwear but it's still a bit more than medium, just not full, in my experience anyway.

Never used any other MAC foundation so can't say what they are like.

I've used the pro longwear concealer and I love it, full coverage, lasts, doesn't crease, doesn't make me look older etc. Expensive at €20 but half a pump (maybe even less) would be all you'd need for both eyes and redness around the nose.

I personally found if I used any of my drugstore foundations and mixed a bit of pro longwear concealer with them, it gave a gorgeous finish, lovely coverage etc. and lasted well.

It definitely wasn't a full coverage or heavy like the pro longwear foundation but it is a nice alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Might try adverts see if I can pic some up cheap before buying.

Foundation is looking really crap on my skin lately.

La.de.da wrote: »
    Might try adverts see if I can pic some up cheap before buying.

Foundation is looking really crap on my skin lately.
    If you are near a MAC counter I would ask for some samples of their foundations, that way you can see what ones will suit you best, I've heard that some of them oxidise too, but I've never had that happen to me with MAC but foundation is different on everyone :)

http://i63.tinypic.com/deo5sm.jpg

The purple smokey eye. Inglot shades. Love the pigments. Used a paint pot (painterly) underneath and it did not move all night even after sleeping on it, got up and they still looked good.

Used
    http://i68.tinypic.com/1e9xl0.jpg

Very Matt and the pigment didn't last as long as my Mac Matt but it was 15 and was beautiful on. Very drying though so I found it better to put it on with duraline

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a good eyeshadow primer? Something fairly budget-friendly would be good, unless you can convince me that MAC or whatever are worth the big bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

dee_mc wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good eyeshadow primer? Something fairly budget-friendly would be good, unless you can convince me that MAC or whatever are worth the big bucks!

Mac paint pot in painterly is fantastic for vibrancy and staying power on me. But it is a base rather than primer so I think some people use a primer underneath but I'm slightly oily and find it works great without one. Can't tell you the price it's been so long since I've to buy it but think it's around 20 so it isn't cheap. I hated urban decay primer potion too dry. There's a makeup revolution I like as well that I got for free with an order. Think they cost a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I use the urban decay one in Eden and I love it! It lasts forever too. However the essence one is meant to be comparable for about €3. I haven't tried it but I will when my UD eventually runs out!

ameliams wrote: »
    Mac paint pot in painterly is fantastic for vibrancy and staying power on me. But it is a base rather than primer so I think some people use a primer underneath but I'm slightly oily and find it works great without one. Can't tell you the price it's been so long since I've to buy it but think it's around 20 so it isn't cheap. I hated urban decay primer potion too dry. There's a makeup revolution I like as well that I got for free with an order. Think they cost a euro.

Thanks for that! I tried the UD primer potion a few years ago and found it quite gritty and hard to apply evenly so I'm not really interested in going there again, clearly it hasn't improved.
    Catrice are doing an eyeshadow primer, has anyone tried it? I've only ever used nail polishes by the brand in the past so no idea what the quality is like?

I use the urban decay one in Eden and I love it! It lasts forever too. However the essence one is meant to be comparable for about €3. I haven't tried it but I will when my UD eventually runs out!

Just saw your post, thank you! I didn't realise UD did more than one, I will have to check it out again. The Essence one sounds interesting at such a low price point!

I use the Essence one and its fantastic, absolutely fantastic, its about €3 I think.

I've Painterly by MAC and its great but I need to use a primer underneath it as I have oily lids and painterly by itself isn't enough to keep the shadows from creasing. I personally think painterly is more a base for a blank canvas rather than a primer, but maybe I am wrong.

I've tried the NARS Pro Prime, now that is amazing, its bulletproof, but horrifically expensive at €25. I adore it but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on it unless I was going to a lot of events etc and needed something so strong to keep my shadow in place.

For pigments I use the Stila stay all day liquid eye primer, I've tray thing that I put the pigment on and a drop of the primer and mix it together and that's amazing for staying put.

Urban Decay primers are useless in my experience. I think the UD primers are the same but in different colours. I am open to correction on that though.

NYX has one that's supposed to be good, I have never used it though so I cannot say for sure how good it is.

http://www.boots.ie/en/NYX-Proof-It-Waterproof-Eyebrow-Primer_1783058/

Catrice also have one that's meant to be fantastic but I have never tried it so don't know how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

dee_mc wrote: »

I use Catrice, Essence, & ELF primers.

They are all amazing!!!

Catrice €3.99 Penneys
    Essence €3.09 Penneys
    ELF $3 http://eu.iherb.com/E-L-F-Cosmetics-Mineral-Eyeshadow-Primer-Sheer-15-oz-4-5-g/51584

I have very oily lids & all of these primers last all day on me.

I also have several Makeup Revolution ones which are also very decent.

IMO the best one is the Essence, at least for me.

Amrezy Montenegro from lipland cosmetics.

Yesterday was the first day I tried it out. After a weekend of wearing heavy makeup, I was bare faced when I tried this. I was beyond excited about this lipstick. It had been sold out for ages, and when I got the alert it was back in stock, I just bought it. After I bought it (lipstick and delivery was 27 euro) I read some reviews and was very disappointed that many bloggers did not like it at all. Out of the 3 amrezy lipsticks this one got the worst review. I was very disappointed as I had high hopes for it.

So, yesterday I decided to try it out for myself. It looks much different on an Irish skin tone than it does on amrezy, but it's still nice. It was probably much too dramatic for my otherwise plain face, so it'd probably look better with a dramatic eye. The pigment is quite good, and I found that it was best to apply one layer, leave it dry, apply another layer, leave it dry, apply the third layer. The pigment came out a little patchy with just the two layers.
    The staying power was very impressive. I had my dinner with it on and it lifted a little on the inner parts of my lip but it still looked really good.

I'd definately buy the other two shades if this was the worst one.

2lm8bqp.jpg

I use the Essence eye primer and find it quite good. I Also have a makeup revolution one, it's ok, grand to throw one into your basket if you're doing a MUR haul but I think essence one it better. Must have a look for the Catrice primer. Many of the Catrice products I have tried over the past year or so I have quite liked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I've used both and they are very close. I've a slight preference for the UD one but I can't justify buying it when the essence one is so close for such a lower price. I only ever use UD when a sample size one comes with something.

Advertisement