Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I work in an office, but it's very informal so I can pretty much wear as much or as little makeup as I want to. Didn't wear any today as I was running late/too lazy, but generally I wear a bit of foundation/bb cream, very neutral eyeshadow and whatever lip product I'm in the humour for! (which ranges from lip balm to super bright Jeffree Star liquid lipstick. I'm very much an all or nothing person haha).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Right now I'm on social work placement and have over an hours drive every morning so I do my make up once I'm parked outside the building. Usually just mac studio fix fluid and the Mac mineralise skin finish in medium golden; it's great because it's a powder but also warms up my complexion. Am usually too lazy to do anything else but I make up for it at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

rougegal wrote: »
    I used to work from home and was exactly the same - skincare but no makeup. I wear very little makeup on my current job but love putting it on 'properly' at the weekend or when I'm going out.

Thanks for your response. I tend to spoil my skin at the weekends first and if we intend going away for the day I do pay more attention and put on makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I'm annoyed with double wear. I have uneven skin tone and an oily nose. I've tried smash box, GOSH, L'Oreal, and No7 primers, within four hours I look like the morning after a big night out.

I got a sample of DW cool bone which is a better match than the Ecru I've been wearing for the few years (so thanks to the poster who let me know there was more pale shades). I've still got the nose issue and I want to try the MakeUp Forever HD liquid - does Claredon Street give samples? I'm reluctant to buy a new foundation outright after throwing out a bag full of 'tried but failed' items last month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

When I had an office job, I always wore a full face, usually foundation, brows, blusher, mascara, and often eyeshadow and liner, maybe a lipstick if I was feeling extra put-together. I was one of those loonies doing my makeup on the bus, cat flick and all! Now I work from home so it's usually no makeup unless I'm leaving the house, and then I enjoy putting on a full face because it's only maybe once or twice a week. Since working from home I have curbed my makeup shopping way back, there's no point buying loads of makeup because it just won't get worn. I have a couple of Urban Decay palettes and Mac lippies and that's as wild as I need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I'm annoyed with double wear. I have uneven skin tone and an oily nose. I've tried smash box, GOSH, L'Oreal, and No7 primers, within four hours I look like the morning after a big night out.

I got a sample of DW cool bone which is a better match than the Ecru I've been wearing for the few years (so thanks to the poster who let me know there was more pale shades). I've still got the nose issue and I want to try the MakeUp Forever HD liquid - does Claredon Street give samples? I'm reluctant to buy a new foundation outright after throwing out a bag full of 'tried but failed' items last month
    Are you using a primer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I usent bother wearing makeup to work before but then I gradually started adding more into my routine so now I wear my nars tinted moisturiser, a dusting of powder, bronzer, blusher, mascara and I fill in my brows. It takes all of about 3mins tops and it makes me feel much better about myself and more confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

What type of brush are you using to apply the double wear?
    Ive tried it with a beauty blender which i thought was ok, my sigma f80 flat kabuki which I didnt like straight away and my real techniques buffing brush which is now my definite favourite way. I let my primer sit for a few minutes before applying and am using the free estee lauder primer i got when i was buying the foundation. I have also used the boots radiance balm stuff under it but felt it left me too shiny.

fifi28 wrote: »
    What type of brush are you using to apply the double wear?
    Ive tried it with a beauty blender which i thought was ok, my sigma f80 flat kabuki which I didnt like straight away and my real techniques buffing brush which is now my definite favourite way. I let my primer sit for a few minutes before applying and am using the free estee lauder primer i got when i was buying the foundation. I have also used the boots radiance balm stuff under it but felt it left me too shiny.

That could be the issue. I was applying it with my fingers but it was leaving mask like. I moved onto the beauty blender, which is better but I still have nose issues. I was applying my moisturiser, leaving a break to brush to my teeth, deodorant etc, applying primer, dressing then applying foundation but then the Smashbox assistant said no need to wait. I'll buy a buffing brush and try that

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

That could be the issue. I was applying it with my fingers but it was leaving mask like. I moved onto the beauty blender, which is better but I still have nose issues. I was applying my moisturiser, leaving a break to brush to my teeth, deodorant etc, applying primer, dressing then applying foundation but then the Smashbox assistant said no need to wait. I'll buy a buffing brush and try that

Im not a makeup artist but I would always leave a couple of mins at least between moisturiser primer and foundation! Have you tried maybe a different primer on your nose area? I use 1 primer on my face (cheeks, chin, forehead) and then use benefit porefessional on my nose and sides of my nose coz I have noticeable pore issues in that area :(. I also use brush on face and beauty blender to do my nose coz brush just doesnt do the job properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

+1 on the Real techniques buffing brush with DW. I dab some foundation and the use the buffing brush to spread out. It looks a lot more natural than using my fingers. I put a light dusting of powder to set

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Are you using a primer?

Yes....

Photo Finish Foundation Primer - clear
    Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
    L'Oreal Infallible
    GOSH Velvet Touch Foundation Primer
    Revlon PhotoReady Primer (flat, like a creme and you swipe it on like a foundation)
    Benefit That Girl
    Benefit Porefessional
    Benefit Stay Flawless
    No7 Instant Illusions Airbrush Away Primer
    No7 Airbrush Away Primer (the metallic tube)

I also tried Urban Decay's De-Slick Makeup Setting Spray.

Aside from the uneven redness and dark under eye circles, I'm quite pale so a lot of foundations either don't match me or oxidise after a couple of hours, leaving me with an orange tinge to my face. I've got bare minerals powder, Clinique liquid and powder foundations, revlon colour stay liquid and powder, clarins mousse, Lasting Finish 25 Hour foundation, Bourjois 1.2.3. Perfect Foundation, a etude house BB cushion (looks good for four hours but slides off after) and a Bourjois CC cream. I threw out a LOreal luminous magique bottle plus a couple of max factor and benefit foundations.

I find most powders look very cakes around my nose.

I've spent €2,500 on trying to even up my skin tone, and it has worked, but not so well that I can go without make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Today I picked up the Penneys lipliner in nude, excited to give it a try, hope its nice.

Also restocked on my Simple micellar water and picked up the Boots simply sensitive micellar water as I'd a voucher for extra points. Never tried it before, hopefully its good. :)

Yeah they do give samples, I've gotten samples from them before, you may need to bring in a pot with you as they don't always have them I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

I have that nude lipliner. Iv never been good at doing my lips.iv never got even an hour out of lipstick or liner,it either runs or smudges. Any tips? Should I colour all my lips with a nude liner and a lipstick over to make it stick or is there any better ways .thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

ja1986 wrote: »
    I have that nude lipliner. Iv never been good at doing my lips.iv never got even an hour out of lipstick or liner,it either runs or smudges. Any tips? Should I colour all my lips with a nude liner and a lipstick over to make it stick or is there any better ways .thanks
    Make sure your lips are bone dry before applying any liner or lipstick, its what works for me.

I put on a lip balm while doing my make up then remove it and make sure my lips are bone dry, then do the lip liner, etc. and it works wonders.

Yeah they do give samples, I've gotten samples from them before, you may need to bring in a pot with you as they don't always have them I've found.

Went into MUF today - the assistant who helped me was brilliant in terms of explaining the products etc but the shade was awful. It looked OK in the store but outside in daylight it had the orange smudge mark look about it very quickly. The OH commented when he saw me it looked terrible.

I popped into Boots and one of the beauty advisors suggested I try one of their foundations; I've used the no7 advance and protect stuff and the primers but nothing else. I got matched to Cool Ivory and she applied it in Instant Radiance formula... It's been on 4hrs and so far, so good. She gave me a sample too so I'll try it again on Monday and hopefully it'll be my next purchase - it's half the price of double wear too so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Bought a new Remington curl revolution today. I took it out earlier and did one quick curl to see how they look and it looked great. So I said that I'd have a proper go at using it when I went to bed this tonight and post a little review of it. Just went to switch it on now and it's not working. Soooo mad right now

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

One of my friends has been using the Smashbox Halo Powder for years and always raved about it but it took until now for me to buy it. Wore armani luminous silk foundation with halo powder over it yesterday to a wedding and it was flawless and only had to top up powder on my face one during the day! Blusher and highlighter sit gorgeously on top it! Im well and truly converted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm back in love with Double Wear again (we have a love-hate relationship because if I'm not careful enough it makes me look like a corpse)
    Tried it today within a minute or two of moisturising, spent a good few minutes applying it really, really sparingly, and it looks gorgeous - so natural.

Wellyd wrote: »
    Bought a new Remington curl revolution today. I took it out earlier and did one quick curl to see how they look and it looked great. So I said that I'd have a proper go at using it when I went to bed this tonight and post a little review of it. Just went to switch it on now and it's not working. Soooo mad right now

I feel for you, hope it is nothing major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Wellyd wrote: »

Hope it's working again for you!

I am just wondering what size barrel does this have. I have looked it up online but can't really find out. Image the pearl wand but looking for larger curls as my hair is quiet long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I recently bought NYX Dewy Finish setting spray.

Anyone used it before? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It's my favourite setting spray. I prefer it to alternative MAC and Urban Decay similar products I used to use. It's my go to setting spray. Also great for spraying on a beauty blender for blending. Hope you like it! :)

Sorry, not NYK, mine is part of a package, it is Karmin's Heat Protection & Shining Spray with argan oil, lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    It's my favourite setting spray. I prefer it to alternative MAC and Urban Decay similar products I used to use. It's my go to setting spray. Also great for spraying on a beauty blender for blending. Hope you like it! :)

I've never actually used a setting spray before and I've quite a few NYX products, so that's why I picked it up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I've never actually used a setting spray before and I've quite a few NYX products, so that's why I picked it up. :pac:

Addicted to NYX Matt lip creams and an absolute steal for €7.75!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Wellyd wrote:
    Addicted to NYX Matt lip creams and an absolute steal for €7.75!

Love these and their lip crayons! I had one on on Sunday and it lasted all day without having to reapply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I wonder does anyone know if there are any sites where you can buy sample bottles of foundation.

I'm mad to try mac and inglot but haven't great luck with foundation in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

La.de.da wrote: »
    I wonder does anyone know if there are any sites where you can buy sample bottles of foundation.

I'm mad to try mac and inglot but haven't great luck with foundation in the past.

I haven't heard of any. Is there no Mac or Inglot store close to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of any. Is there no Mac or Inglot store close to you?

No. I live in the sticks. Rarely in Dublin or cork. It would just sicken me again to spend €40+ euro for a product that doesn't suit.

Might be an idea for a business venture though lol.

Advertisement