Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Picked up the UD Vice 4 pallet in Debenhams during the week, reduced to under €35. Some nice colours in it and heard good reviews about the quality. Had €15 on my loyalty card so only really cost me €20. Haven't played with it yet but some really nice warm tones in it which will compliment blue eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Flormar primer update! Yes, the smell is a bit weird, like watermelon or something. I didn't have any reaction to it thankfully but I'm yet to be convinced. The best primer I ever used was a Sephora one which they don't seem to make any more and I've used up my stash. :( I'm going to try it again tonight as I'll be out for longer and it'll get well tested.
    The Maybelline eye concealer was only ok, but I think I need to refine my technique a bit with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

ja1986 wrote: »
    Oh thanks so much! That's a great help.iv the whole day to myself so I'm going to wreak a few Mua's heads ! Now what's bb cushions!?I don't know what bb cream is for!

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will come and explain it better, but a BB cream is like a tinted moisturiser with added benefits and a bit more coverage. BB creams come in a tube. BB cushions come in a compact with a sponge in the middle soaked in product, plus an application puff. You press the applicator to the cushion then apply to your face - they're popular in Asia but they're coming to the Western market (Loreal has one in the Lumi range I think). For me the coverage is a bit more than a BB cream but less than a foundation so is good for weekend wear. I'm Celtic pale apart from some uneven tone on my cheeks so find the colour match better than the tanned orange prevalent in US/European foundations. Like everything, they're not to everyone's tastes...

http://www.laneige.com.hk/en/bb-cushion-spf50-pa/

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Thanks! No one mentioned a bb cream to me when going in for the samples earlier.Anyway I scored! I got no.7,smashbox,urban decay,Mac and inglot. The girl in Mac sat me down and applied one as well.I am a nw15, looked ok in the shop and came out and my partner said I looked pale.,had no eyebrows done so maybe that was it. I did notice my face feeling awful tight after 5 mins out in the air. Very strange. Not sure Mac is for me.

NW 15 is really pale. I'm very pale myself but it was too much for me, when I used MAC I used NW 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I'm NC15 so pale enough too. I came out of makeup forever in NW20 and looked Oompa Loompa ish. My sister is ghostlike - you can see her veins, but she fake tans to bring herself up into a 'human skin tone' as she calls it.

Have fun with your samples :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Sometimes with paler foundations, especially the more fuller coverage ones, the shade can actually be prerfect but because it evens out the skin tone and minimises redness etc, you can just end up looking really pale and washed out even though the shade may be a paerfect match. Whereas obviously if your base shade is darker that's not so much an issue.

Iv just put on my urban decay one.I liked the swatch in the shop so couldn't wait to use it. I have to say it looks good. Il report back this evening if it's still on!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Ooops boring sundays at home are a bit dangerous lol...... Just ordered Mac Whirl lipstick online from BTs. Been looking for it since before Christmas :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm crazy pale but when you do your contouring and add a bit of
    Blusher, you're grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I'd rather have a super pale skin matching foundation and warm it up with bronzer and blush.

Nothing worse than the face and neck being different colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

La.de.da wrote: »
    I'd rather have a super pale skin matching foundation and warm it up with bronzer and blush.

Nothing worse than the face and neck being different colours.

I'm the same. NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia is the best shade match I've found, but the formula itself can't cope with my oily skin. Sheer Matte is anything but!

The palest shades in most 'drugstore' foundations are annoyingly pink. I have distinctly yellow undertones (probably NC15 in MAC); finding a shade match is nigh-on impossible without spending €30+.

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm the same. NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia is the best shade match I've found, but the formula itself can't cope with my oily skin. Sheer Matte is anything but!

The palest shades in most 'drugstore' foundations are annoyingly pink. I have distinctly yellow undertones (probably NC15 in MAC); finding a shade match is nigh-on impossible without spending €30+.

It's a feicin minefield. You wouldn't mind paying €30+ for a base if it works for you. Yet to find a staple foundation. Just about finished my current max factor it's ivory but still too yellowy on me.

Trying inglot hd foundation next I think.

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »

No 7 used some machine to check the tone of my skin and the one she recommended was pale with a pink tone. It looked awful when she put a bit on her hand,iv never used any with a pink undertone. Il try the sample during the week and see how it fairs out but any of my foundations have been a yellow or neutral tone. I'm only looking for an everyday wear foundation that stays on all day.might check out the rimmel again with a proper shade match after these samples are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

La.de.da wrote: »
    It's a feicin minefield. You wouldn't mind paying €30+ for a base if it works for you. Yet to find a staple foundation. Just about finished my current max factor it's ivory but still too yellowy on me.

Trying inglot hd foundation next I think.

I honestly wouldn't bother to be honest. Foundation isn't anything to write home about. Got my makeup done in Inglot a few weeks ago and by lunch time my foundation was pretty much off my face. Had to pop back in after work that evening and have it reapplied.

My skin is perfect base for foundation, completely normal, no oily areas, no dry areas, well moisturised etc and it still was terrible. I can't imagine how crap it would be if my skin was troublesome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

ja1986 wrote: »
    No 7 used some machine to check the tone of my skin and the one she recommended was pale with a pink tone. It looked awful when she put a bit on her hand,iv never used any with a pink undertone. Il try the sample during the week and see how it fairs out but any of my foundations have been a yellow or neutral tone. I'm only looking for an everyday wear foundation that stays on all day.might check out the rimmel again with a proper shade match after these samples are gone.

I don't think that No7 thing works at all, it seems like a gimmick to me! My 'perfect' foundation colour was wrong, and the one the girl using the machine recommended instead of it was even worse.
    They have a similar system for choosing your ideal lipstick shade too, I saw a woman trying it in a Boots store and she hated the 3 shades recommended for her (had to agree!).
    Trying several shades along the jawline, checking them in daylight and waiting to see if they oxidise, cake or slide off is the only way to go.
    Maybelline foundations are well worth a try IMO, their shade range seems much better in the last year or two and there's a good choice of coverage options too.

I honestly wouldn't bother to be honest. Foundation isn't anything to write home about. Got my makeup done in Inglot a few weeks ago and by lunch time my foundation was pretty much off my face. Had to pop back in after work that evening and have it reapplied.

My skin is perfect base for foundation, completely normal, no oily areas, no dry areas, well moisturised etc and it still was terrible. I can't imagine how crap it would be if my skin was troublesome

Thank you for that. I have oily combo skin so would have been a total waste of money. I'll have a look again as something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm an NW10 in Mac (even though I don't wear Mac foundations anymore) but I've picked up loads of cheapo foundations in the last couple of years that are a good colour match! I used to only be able to wear expensive brands unless I wanted to spend half an hour blending it down... Maybelline foundations in 004 are probably closer to NW15 but they're great for the money. Some of the L'Oreal and Revlon ones are good too!

Another Flormar update. It does a fine job but I'm not convinced it's any better than other budget primers.
    The Maybelline under eye concealer worked much better when I spent a bit more time on it, set it with powder and then used a heavier concealer on top. For the price it's worth a try.

Yesterday I picked up Botanics radiance balm and a set of Ecotools brushes in Boots. I had points on my card so not too expensive. I couldn't decide on any Real Techniques brushes, I need to do some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My fave is the Expert Face Brush, it gives such a nice finish and build coverage without looking caked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Has anyone ever tried those Artise brushes? They look a bit gimmicky but I'm intrigued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Picked up the RT Bold Metals holiday set in Boots last weekend, reduced from €85 to €45. Contains a large powder brush, a blush brush and an eye shadow brush. Haven't really used hen yet but seem soft. Had enough points on my card so thought I'd chance them.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I got the Makeup Revolution 'Fortune Favours The Brave' eye shadow palette today. Theres 30 shades in it and the few I've swatched have impressed me so far. It was only about 15 or 16 euros including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Lexie on the sheer glow, did you like it at all? I had oily combination but as I'm getting older isn't less oily so just slight oil on my nose/jawline. I tried it in BT (no sample pots) and it felt lovely.

I'm looking for medium coverage, long lasting foundation, that isn't drying and also lightweight. Nars concealer was recommended by someone and I was wondering about the foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Cant find any good under eye concealer that isn't too drying on the skin.. any recommendations? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

anna080 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried those Artise brushes? They look a bit gimmicky but I'm intrigued

I have their foundation brush and while I did find it gives a lovely finish I'm not sure its any better than the beauty blender. I find it a pain to clean so I only use it for nights out or special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Gal44 wrote: »
    Cant find any good under eye concealer that isn't too drying on the skin.. any recommendations? :/

Benefit Erase Paste isn't at all drying (whereas Boi ing is very drying).
    Definitely worth trying it at one of their counters and leaving it on for the day before deciding whether to buy, as it's fairly expensive and won't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Gal44 wrote: »
    L.A Girl pro conceal. Beautiful concealer. Full coverage so you only need a teeny tiny bit.

http://beautyjoint.com/face/concealer/lgc-la-girl-pro-conceal/

Can't be bought in Ireland though that's the only thing. Shipping from Beauty Joint takes about two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Are the ones advertised on amazon.co.uk the same? Here is the link if you ladies want to check them out:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-1568181-5612717?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=LA+GIRL+Pro+Conceal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Has anyone seen anywhere doing the mood changing nail polish/gel?

Advertisement