Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Can anyone recommend a good facial spf? At least spf 30. I found Benefit's dream screen tends to make my makeup streaky and I just bought Estee Lauder's UV defence SPF50 and while it seems good, the smell is making me wretch! It literally reeks of cucumbers or something.

I love the Soap & Glory one at SPF50.

Gorgeous fluid that sinks in & does not affect makeup application at all.

Some users say they actually find it a very good base for their makeup.

It's on offer at the moment in Boots for €13.33 or so.

Excellent value!

And most importantly (for me) it's cruelty free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

keredern wrote: »
    I love the Soap & Glory one at SPF50.

Gorgeous fluid that sinks in & does not affect makeup application at all.

Some users say they actually find it a very good base for their makeup.

It's on offer at the moment in Boots for €13.33 or so.

Excellent value!

And most importantly (for me) it's cruelty free!

I have this too and find it brilliant. I have unbelievably sensitive skin and it's really hard to find anything that doesn't irritate me so this was a godsend!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What's the boots face mask that everyone has been posting about recently? At least I think it was on here? I looked back a few pages but couldn't see...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

anna080 wrote: »
    What's the boots face mask that everyone has been posting about recently? At least I think it was on here? I looked back a few pages but couldn't see...

http://www.boots.ie/en/Boots-Tea-Tree-Witch-Hazel-Charcoal-Face-Mask_1493092/
    I think it's this one. I've used the scrub from that range and I really like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

dee_mc wrote: »
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Boots-Tea-Tree-Witch-Hazel-Charcoal-Face-Mask_1493092/
    I think it's this one. I've used the scrub from that range and I really like it.

Thanks! Going to boots tomorrow so wanted to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I ordered the mask, the scrub and the nose strips. They arrived yesterday. I used the strips for my awful blackheads on my nose. I don't think it made much difference. Tried the mask today and my skin feels nice afterwards. I've a few bumps under my skin on my chin that I'm hoping will come up and then go away. I've yet to try the scrub fingers crossed its good. I have such awful black heads on my nose and chin so I'm hoping this will clear them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

They do a gel oil control moisturiser in that range too. It's fab. Really soothing on the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I got a sample of MAC Constructivist Paint Pot a few weeks ago. It's so gorgeous I had to buy it when the sample was used up.

mac_constructivist005.jpg

Also got these:

Lipstick in Relentlessly Red
    mac_relentlesslyred004.jpg

Lipstick in Dark Side
    mac_darkside003.jpg

Lip liner in Dynamo
    mac_dynamo001.jpg

Eyeshadow in Deep Damson
    mac_deepdamson004.jpg

I think I own nearly every purple-toned MAC eyeshadow at this stage :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

PennyWren wrote:
    I don't rinse after. They give me a bit of a tingle and I let that do its magic for 10/15 mins and then moisturise.

Got these yesterday and used one last night. Not even a hint of a tingle.

My skin is pretty bulletproof so I shouldn't be surprised, but I was hoping for *something*. Oh well.

I also discovered yesterday that Penneys is waaaaaay cheaper than Boots for a lot of stuff. 500ml Listerine in Boots was 5.99, 2x 250ml was 2.90 in Penneys. Garnier Summer Body, 5 something in Boots, 3.90 in Penneys. Elvive Fibrology 250ml shampoo and conditioner 2.75 each as opposed to over 6 quid in Boots. Even taking into account 3 for 2 offers, Penneys was far cheaper. So take heed, ladies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I've noticed Penneys is cheaper too for Garnier Micellar Water, I think it's only by about 50c but it all adds up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ShazGV wrote: »
    I've noticed Penneys is cheaper too for Garnier Micellar Water, I think it's only by about 50c but it all adds up :D
    Yeah I've noticed they are often even cheaper than that, I always buy it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Went looking for yet another foundation yesterday. Wanted to get dior airflash, had it years ago and loved it.. anyway no dior makeup range in the square so opted for a high street brand and picked up loreal infallible 24 hour matte, have to say I'm well impressed, one of the best foundations I've used in a very long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

amor3 wrote: »
    Went looking for yet another foundation yesterday. Wanted to get dior airflash, had it years ago and loved it.. anyway no dior makeup range in the square so opted for a high street brand and picked up loreal infallible 24 hour matte, have to say I'm well impressed, one of the best foundations I've used in a very long time!

That's become my go to foundation. Even though I'm 47 I still have oily skin and most foundation just disappears from my face within a couple of hours. This lasts for most of the day and it's the only foundation I've ever tried that I don't need to set with powder. I love the coverage too. Not too cakey but hides the redness and thread veins that come with "mature" skin ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Today I bought the Loreal Infallible 24H Foundation. (From reading this thread).
    :P

It goes on perfectly. The first foundation that I like!

I used a primer first, then tried a foundation brush but I didn't think it was going on well, so switched to fingertips.

It goes on and looks flawless. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Ugh. I'm beginning to not get on with inglot hd foundation. Some days it goes on lovely but just now I've put it on and I'm not a happy bunny. Nose, eyebrows and eyelids are a disaster. I did forget to put on primer but still :/ I'd moisturised at least. I used loreal infallible matte during the week and it was better.

I'm also not getting on too well with maybelline lash sensational mascara! Don't think I'll be repurchasing. I don't like the brush at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I had the same problem with inglot and I was so disappointed because everyone I know raves about it. I've nearly a full tube sitting at home unused.

I bought the Sleek cream contour pallette and used it today but it didn't go on very well. I might try and buy a different brush and try it again another time.

I also got the Maybelline velvet lip crayon, number 210. It's such a gorgeous colour!! It doesn't stay very well but I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I bought three NYX matte lip creams after reading about them here. Got Stockholm, Milan and Copenhagen. I ordered online from Boots, but had looked up pics and vids of the different shades when worn, as it can be hard to make out the colours from the boots website.

Disappointed with Stockholm, it doesn't suit my fair complexion at all!

Milan is a waaay brighter pink than I was expecting, it had seemed a lot softer, more of a daytime colour online. I'll still wear it, but I already have lipsticks in a similar shade :/

Copenhagen was the closest to the colour I saw online, wore it last night, it can be tricky to prevent it becoming patchy because it's so pigmented but I love it :)

In general I do like the texture and smell of them though. Has anyone else found the same about the colours when ordering online?

Also an update on the Catrice Matte foundation, I've worn it a few times, and it doesn't help the oil situation. In fact I think my forehead is getting oily a lot earlier in the day than with the Loreal Infallible or No7 Beautifully Matte. It's disappointing, as I love the coverage and finish when it goes on, and the shade is almost perfect for me :(

I still haven't found my holy grail foundation. Any other suggestions for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Ankhyu wrote: »
    I bought three NYX matte lip creams after reading about them here. Got Stockholm, Milan and Copenhagen. I ordered online from Boots, but had looked up pics and vids of the different shades when worn, as it can be hard to make out the colours from the boots website.

Disappointed with Stockholm, it doesn't suit my fair complexion at all!

Milan is a waaay brighter pink than I was expecting, it had seemed a lot softer, more of a daytime colour online. I'll still wear it, but I already have lipsticks in a similar shade :/

Copenhagen was the closest to the colour I saw online, wore it last night, it can be tricky to prevent it becoming patchy because it's so pigmented but I love it :)

In general I do like the texture and smell of them though. Has anyone else found the same about the colours when ordering online?

Also an update on the Catrice Matte foundation, I've worn it a few times, and it doesn't help the oil situation. In fact I think my forehead is getting oily a lot earlier in the day than with the Loreal Infallible or No7 Beautifully Matte. It's disappointing, as I love the coverage and finish when it goes on, and the shade is almost perfect for me :(

I still haven't found my holy grail foundation. Any other suggestions for me??

I think I mentioned this before in another thread - but this one I keep going back to ... Tried them all from MAC/Inglot/Lancome/Urban Decay etc and this always seems to win me back !

whatever76 wrote: »
    I think I mentioned this before in another thread - but this one I keep going back to ... Tried them all from MAC/Inglot/Lancome/Urban Decay etc and this always seems to win me back !

Might have a look! Have you got oily/combination skin as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

More combination/Normal TBH ... but worth a try I think. If you can get a sample even better !

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Might have a look! Have you got oily/combination skin as well?

What shade are you? I looked in my make up cabinet yesterday and was somewhat disgusted by the amount of bottles in my failed efforts in the hunt for HG foundation. My current option is mixing no7 instant radiance calico and cool vanilla.

on_my_oe wrote: »
    What shade are you? I looked in my make up cabinet yesterday and was somewhat disgusted by the amount of bottles in my failed efforts in the hunt for HG foundation. My current option is mixing no7 instant radiance calico and cool vanilla.

Usually the palest one available! I wear Calico in No.7 Beautifully Matte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My Kevyn Aucoin foundation is still my holy grail foundation

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gem898

Hi guys,

Just purchased L'Oreal True Match in Rose Vanilla. Wow. Amazing. I was a full coverage girl, wearing Seventeen Stay Time for the past year. Fancied a change as my skin is in better condition these day. And I'm so impressed!

Also picked up the Ultra Brow Kit by Revolution makeup (online) and it's great! Got the cream blush and contour palettes too but not convinced just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So the Nip & Fab pads are breaking me out slightly. I'm hoping it's just my skin adjusting and that I won't have to ditch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Dial Hard wrote: »
    So the Nip & Fab pads are breaking me out slightly. I'm hoping it's just my skin adjusting and that I won't have to ditch them.

Which pads?

I tried their glycolic range recently and got a horrible allergic reaction. Skin covered in spots and red/irritated.
    I do have very sensitive skin so I should have known better I suppose!!

I can use their kale range and the bee stuff withput problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Dial Hard wrote: »

Are they the extreme night pads? I've been using those for the last ten days and they seem to be bringing some of my closed comedones to the surface, which is pretty much what I want them to do. Perhaps that's what's happening for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Are they the extreme night pads? I've been using those for the last ten days and they seem to be bringing some of my closed comedones to the surface, which is pretty much what I want them to do. Perhaps that's what's happening for you?

Would you recommend the night pads? I've been using pretty much anything to try clear my chin. I usually get a spot once a month on my chin but other than that it's just horrible little bumps on my chin that I would love to just break out and then go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Wellyd wrote: »
    Would you recommend the night pads? I've been using pretty much anything to try clear my chin. I usually get a spot once a month on my chin but other than that it's just horrible little bumps on my chin that I would love to just break out and then go away.

It's early days for me yet, but so far so good. I've lots of little under-the-skin bumps on my cheeks and jaw, and these areas already feel smoother and my face is just softer and clearer in general. They're reduced in Boots atm, which might be ideal if you want to try them.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Nip-Fab-Glycolic-Fix-Night-Pads-Extreme_1711352/

Advertisement