Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

It's entirely possible, I haven't seen that post by SSM.

I know nothing about Flormar etc only saw the sign which said the SSM foundation is a dupe for the CT one. The sign mentioned nothing about Flormar, it was like whoever wrote it thought/thinks that SSM/Flormar are the one brand?

Here's the article...

http://sosueme.ie/the-hair-and-beauty-room/amazing-dupe-for-charlotte-tilburys-wonderglow/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Today I was having a 'good skin day' (relatively speaking) so decided to try dabbing a bit of concealer on the few nearly cleared up spots on my forehead, and the slightly red skin around my nose.
    http://www.boots.ie/en/No7-Match-Made-Concealer_1373394/
    I'm very pale and a bit pink toned, and cool ivory is a perfect match for me, even though the same shade in their foundation range isn't a good match for me.
    I was surprised by how well it covered and blended with my skin, especially as I was on the points of throwing it out because it doesn't work well with my foundation (it goes a bit chalky and cakey in combination with foundation for some reason!). If anyone is looking for a good, highly pigmented concealer that stays put and doesn't oxidise, for use on 'no make up' days, I can recommend! Good use for the €7.50 No 7 vouchers I generally end up dumping!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

After a week of trying to manipulate the product to get it to work for me, I've accepted defeat with the anastasia Beverly Hills cream contour kit. The light shades are ok and workable but the dark shades are absolutely filthy looking and don't blend well at all. I tried it with two different foundations and had crap results both times.

While the light shades are ok, it doesn't justify the €50 price tag. Gonna chance the sleek cream contour pallet next, it's certainly a lot cheaper and less of a loss if it doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Has anybody tried the Anastasia Beverly Hills eyeborw pomade?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Has anybody tried the Anastasia Beverly Hills eyeborw pomade?
    I have tried it and I love it. NYX have a similar product which costs a fraction of the price of the ABH dipbrow pomade. I would have got the NYX one instead had I known about it at the time! It might be worth trying that out before you fork out for the ABH one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    After a week of trying to manipulate the product to get it to work for me, I've accepted defeat with the anastasia Beverly Hills cream contour kit. The light shades are ok and workable but the dark shades are absolutely filthy looking and don't blend well at all. I tried it with two different foundations and had crap results both times.

While the light shades are ok, it doesn't justify the €50 price tag. Gonna chance the sleek cream contour pallet next, it's certainly a lot cheaper and less of a loss if it doesn't work for me.

Such a pity. I follow buynowbloglater on snapchat and she said today she hit the pan on it and is repurchasing because she likes it so much! She said she uses a beauty blender to apply it, maybe you could try that so its not a complete waste?

I have the powder palette and I'm still undecided, some days it works well and other days it looks dirty on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The make up in Penneys has been getting great reviews by bloggers and on facebook and snapchat of late.
    Most of what I've wanted to try never seems to be available in any Penneys stores I try.
    I've used the lip liners and found them to be quite good.

I got one of the liquid lipsticks at the weekend and put it on yesterday morning before work. I guess I was expecting matt, which it's not. It's just a lip gloss, it's sticky and feels tacky when it's on. My hair kept sticking to my face as I was walking to work. It does have good lasting power compared with other lip glosses. But it's not a liquid lipstick.
    The smell, bit of nostalgia here! Anyone remember the cheap chewing gums out years ago, you got them with penny sweets, they were a grey/beige colour, hard, the flavour lasts about 5 chews and they came with a transfer tattoo. Well this lip product smells like this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    The make up in Penneys has been getting great reviews by bloggers and on facebook and snapchat of late.
    Most of what I've wanted to try never seems to be available in any Penneys stores I try.
    I've used the lip liners and found them to be quite good.

I got one of the liquid lipsticks at the weekend and put it on yesterday morning before work. I guess I was expecting matt, which it's not. It's just a lip gloss, it's sticky and feels tacky when it's on. My hair kept sticking to my face as I was walking to work. It does have good lasting power compared with other lip glosses. But it's not a liquid lipstick.
    The smell, bit of nostalgia here! Anyone remember the cheap chewing gums out years ago, you got them with penny sweets, they were a grey/beige colour, hard, the flavour lasts about 5 chews and they came with a transfer tattoo. Well this lip product smells like this!!

I have that too and it's terrible but they have "Super Matte Liquid Lipstick" and I think they're great! I got it in Cork, Patrick's Street but haven't seen them in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The penny's lipstick in "dare to bare" is fab. One of my fav nudes for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

My pixi glow tonic and Oskia cleansing gel arrived today, so excited to try them out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm so keen to try the Oskia cleansing gel but I will have to wait until next payday!

I've gone a bit mad again lately, I picked up a new UD all nighter set spray, the NARS sheer glow foundation, the solid beauty blender cleanser, sunday riley good genes (:eek:), the cocoa brown golden goddess oil, the Balm Cindy Lou-manizer, Benefits Shy Beam, Roller Lash and the Porefessional matte rescue and three of the Sleek Matte Me liquid lipstick thingys.

Most of it only arrived today but the benefit and sleek stuff was last week. I love love love Shy Beam, its utterly divine. So understated but such a lovely colour. Already had a mini-Roller Lash and I do really like it, I use it with They're Real for a night out. I've used They're real for years now, since it came out, I keep trying different ones and always going back to it.

Big fan of the Sleek matte me's, I got Old Hollywood which is a dark vampy red, Shabby Chic which is a pinky-nude (slightly pinker than I had hoped but no matter).

I'm now not allowed near a shop unsupervised...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wanderlust_27

I recently bought Urban Decays Naked skin concealer "light-warm". I had been using Mac Prolongwear concealer but was finding this was becoming flaky as the day went one. The UD one is fabulous, it blends so easy with my foundation and lasts all day...think it was €22 but worth it in my opinion.

Would be interested to hear about the UD Naked foundation if anyone has tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've been trying out the new (new to me, anyway!) colour depositing mascara from Rimmel. I'm too lazy to tint my lashes and wanted to try a non-waterproof mascara anyway as my eyelashes have become quite dry and I've heard the waterproof stuff can cause this.
    So it's supposed to show results after a couple of weeks of use but my lashes look noticeably darker already after 3 days of use.
    It's a nice mascara, a bit dramatic for everyday wear but it applies nicely and is intensely black. I would consider it to be both lengthening and volumising.
    The days I wore it with no other make up, it lasted perfectly with no smudging or flaking whatsoever. The day I wore it with a little concealer underneath my eyes, it smudged slightly. The day I lazily left it on all night, it smudged and flaked like hell but that's to be expected after a 10 hour marathon sleep!
    Overall I'm impressed, particularly because it's a whole lot cheaper than the Ilamasqua one I'd been coveting/considering for a while now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Can anyone recommend an eye shadow primer?

I used to use sponge applicators with powder shadows, then started on creme shadows applied with my finger - now I'm back to the powder shadows but applied with brushes, and just not getting a decent colour payoff, so I think I need a primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I love the urban decay one but I think people here have previously recommended a catrice one too!

I think my Kat von D eyeliner is starting to run out :( I won't be able to replace it for a long time, what would ye recommend in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Essence have a really good eye primer, I think it's called I love stage or something like that. Only a few euro as well.

My pixi glow tonic and Oskia cleansing gel arrived today, so excited to try them out!

Update if anyone's interested - the Oskia cleansing gel is almost more like a balm, it reminds me of EA 8 hour cream when you first apply it, it's far more like a balm then any of the cleansing gels I've tried before. It emulsifies with water so rinses off nicely with a muslin cloth. It's non drying but doesn't leave a heavy sticky film either! I really like it but it's pricey for my budget 30e-ish.

I'll need a while testing the pixi glow tonic before I know if it's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

LizT wrote: »
    Essence have a really good eye primer, I think it's called I love stage or something like that. Only a few euro as well.

I picked this up and will give it a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I think my Kat von D eyeliner is starting to run out :( I won't be able to replace it for a long time, what would ye recommend in the meantime?

Is that the Tattoo Liner? I haven't tried it, but I do use the Stila Stay All Day one and I really like it. It's very black and it doesn't budge, which is saying something as I have pretty oily skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

What are beauty bay like? I've read a few bad reviews and feel a bit wary but they have so many things I want!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

What are beauty bay like? I've read a few bad reviews and feel a bit wary but they have so many things I want!!

I've ordered from them before and thought they were fine. Their delivery is ridiculously slow though, 2-3 weeks for something to arrive (I live in Dublin) so if you want something fairly quickly, go elsewhere.

I ordered on Sunday 24th and got the delivery yesterday, so with a bank holiday I thought that was reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an eye shadow primer?

I used to use sponge applicators with powder shadows, then started on creme shadows applied with my finger - now I'm back to the powder shadows but applied with brushes, and just not getting a decent colour payoff, so I think I need a primer.
    I love the urban decay one but I think people here have previously recommended a catrice one too!

Yeah the Essence one is amazing, I have it, I find it almost as good as the NARS pro prime tbh, and the NARS one is almost €30 I think. Only difference I found was the NARS one mattified the lids and stopped any oils/creasing at all (even if I slept in the make up :o ) whereas the Essence one lasts about 8-9 hours with oils/creasing and even then the creasing is minimal.

I haven't tried that Catrice one yet, I want though, but every time I see in Penneys, there's only ever two or three on the stand and they are always open. Like why do people do that, its the same in TK Maxx, I am fed up of buying make up in there as I nearly always end up bringing it back after discovering its been opened/used/mauled in the shop.
    I recommend this one by BarryM, its black as black and waterproof, no smudging, flaking or wearing off.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Barry-M-Blink-Waterproof-Precison-Eyeliner_1281307/

This liquid one by NYC is absolutely amazing, its about €3. It jet black, dries matte, doesn't flake, smudge, rub or wear off. You do need an oil base product to remove it though but apart from that its amazing.

http://www.roziecheeks.com/uploads/4/3/1/6/43164627/1647878_orig.jpg

I got it in Lloyds.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I picked this up and will give it a try :)

Hmmm I have this and have been using it for the last couple of weeks. Its ok but only lasts for a few hours. If I use it at 9.30am then my shadow is pooling in the crease at around 4 hours later. When I use the benefit air patrol it lasts all day. Dont want to use benefit anymore though due to ethical concerns so my next purchase will be the soap and glory one.

I ordered on Sunday 24th and got the delivery yesterday, so with a bank holiday I thought that was reasonable

That's amazing! I'm always waiting around 2 weeks for deliveries from them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Picked up the blush and bronzer from the denim collection from Catrice - both really nice summery colours - would recommend.

Also picked up this Essence Smokey 2-in-1 Khol liner in brown

http://www.essence.eu/za/products/eyes/eyeliner-kajal/e/product/smokey-2-in-1-khol-liner-01/

Wanted to love it as it went on really smooth - unfortunately it just doesn't last as its too creamy. I made a mistake this morning and when I wiped it with a dry cotton bud there was no trace left on my skin. In the bin with this one I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Would be interested to hear about the UD Naked foundation if anyone has tried it?

I have it. It's "nice", but not amazing. Very, very loose, liquid formula. The coverage is on the light side of medium but is buildable if you need it. It copes very well with my oily skin, just not as well as Teint Idole Ultra, which I'll probably go back to as my night-time foundation once this is finished.

I got some samples last weekend and have been enjoying trying them out this week. I'll be making some full sized purchases over the weekend :D

MAC Prep + Prime Skin. Feels much lighter than my usual Smashbox primer, it's like a whipped gel. It has shimmery particles but they're not too glittery which add a subtle radiance. Really evened out my skin tone too. Make up seemed to last well over it, no blotches/shininess etc even after 8 hours. Love this and am definitely repurchasing.

Estee Lauder Double Wear in Sand. I've avoided EL for a while, just heard so many mixed reviews and didn't think it was a brand for me but decided to get a sample of this and try it out. It's amazing! Wish I had tried it earlier instead of countless others. This gives gorgeous, even coverage, matches my skin tone perfectly and just looks great :D Looking forward to getting a full size bottle and also trying out the DW light for days when I don't want a full face.

MAC Paint Pot in Layin' Low. Got a sample of this as I wanted something to neutralise the red/purple tones in my eyelids. Unfortunately this is too orange for a natural look. It's nice as a base for other eyeshadows but I really want something I can wear alone or with very light eyeshadows. I won't be purchasing this. I find Painterly is too light, can anyone recommend a Paint Pot (or similar) that can colour correct red/purple eyelids? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Is that the Tattoo Liner? I haven't tried it, but I do use the Stila Stay All Day one and I really like it. It's very black and it doesn't budge, which is saying something as I have pretty oily skin.

Tattoo liner, yeah. There's an Ink liner too and the difference is the tip - tattoo one is a brush and ink is felt.

Where would one get stila? Online? thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Tattoo liner, yeah. There's an Ink liner too and the difference is the tip - tattoo one is a brush and ink is felt.

Where would one get stila? Online? thanks :)

Pretty sure they were stocking Stila in M&S the last time I was there in the Liffey Valley, they might have it in other branches too. Not sure where you'd order it online tho.

Advertisement