Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

keredern wrote: »
    It was gone again when I checked this morning! :(

Raging!!! :mad:

Just ordered it on debenhams right now, says low in stock so hurry!! Plus 10% off beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Just ordered it on debenhams right now, says low in stock so hurry!! Plus 10% off beauty

Bloody hell...missed it again!!! :(

But thanks for the heads up!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Anddd just got an email from Debenhams that theye 'cannot supply this item' and my order will be cancelled and refunded. So annoyed. I was talking to a girl working in Debenhams two weeks ago who told me it was out of stock in all stores and they wouldn't be getting it back in, guess I shouldve seen it coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I just got the Rimmel lash tinting mascara, my skin has been a lot clearer lately so if this works it'll help a lot with no makeup days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Picked up the Rimmel Colourist Mascara and Lasting Finish by Kate lipstick in 45.

Found I needed to put a good few coats of the mascara on compared to my Benefit They're Real but so far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've recently started to wear makeup and take more care of my skin on a regular basis, I'm in my late 30's. I'm following a blogger, reading this forum and leaning on a friend for direction so getting plenty of suggestions and advice.
    I've armed myself with the benefit primer, real techniques brushes, a highlighter pallete, eyeshadow palletes, blusher, mascara, setting spray and lipsticks. I'm slowly getting the hang of it all but I'm finding even with the primer my oily skin is still shining through.
    Can anyone recommend a foundation that will help? Currently using one from NYX.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dibs24

I tend to have oily skin, especially my nose and forehead area, and I absolutely love L'oreal Infallible Matte foundation. I've been using it since November and it sticks for me through my 12 hour shifts at work. I haven't used the Nyx one so I can't compare but they are in similar price range so might be worth a try. Then to set my makeup I use a loose translucent powder from No7 but any setting powder will work well with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I've recently started to wear makeup and take more care of my skin on a regular basis, I'm in my late 30's. I'm following a blogger, reading this forum and leaning on a friend for direction so getting plenty of suggestions and advice.
    I've armed myself with the benefit primer, real techniques brushes, a highlighter pallete, eyeshadow palletes, blusher, mascara, setting spray and lipsticks. I'm slowly getting the hang of it all but I'm finding even with the primer my oily skin is still shining through.
    What do you want a primer to do? Mattify your skin, make it glow, fill in pores etc.

I have oily-combo skin and I use the Make Up Forever Mattifying primer, its amazing, you only need a tiny bit at a time as its really mattifying but it is expensive, its about €30, but it will last ages. I got mine a year ago, and its still over 3/4 full, if you use too much your foundation will cake up and look horrible and heavy.

http://www.makeupforever.com/int/en-int/make-up/face/primer/step1

I also use their smoothing primer but only when I have a special occasion as my pores don't bother me unless I'm gonna have photos taken in which case I want them filled in :D

http://www.makeupforever.com/int/en-int/make-up/face/primer/step1

Its around the same price and again, you only need a little bit.

I also have the Smashbox photo finish primer (the original, oil free version) which is similar to the smoothing one from MUFE, its a similar price. The MUFE one is a nude/tinted colour (but isn't noticeable on the skin or under foundation) whereas the Smashbox one is clear.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Smashbox-Photo-Finish-Foundation-Primer_1271634/

There's also a travel version of the Smashbox one which might be better to try before buying the big one. :)

http://www.boots.ie/en/Smashbox-Travel-Size-Photo-Finish-Foundation-Primer_1281406/

There is this one from L'Oreal which is meant to be like the Benefit Porefessional. I haven't tried this L'Oreal one so can't say if it is like it. I've tried the Benefit one and didn't like it at all, it did nothing, my make up just slid all over my face and wouldn't look or sit/stay right at all.

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Paris-Nude-Magique-Blur-Cream_1432493/

I have this one by L'Oreal and love it, its very smoothing, but it can be shiny depending on what foundation you use over it.

http://eu.feelunique.com/p/LOreal-Paris-Skin-Perfection-Magic-Touch-Instant-Blur-15ml

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Try applying powder to your primer before applying foundation. Apply powder again after foundation.
    Get a sample of the Smashbox oil free primer & try that out with your current foundation.
    Est e Lauder Doublewear foundation is a great long-lasting foundation for oily skin. Most EL counters will be happy to give you a sample to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Blotting paper is great I find!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Don't know if I mentioned before but I've been using the Le mara range from aldi the last while *it's in a green and White package made in Galway*

My skin never looked so well. I've oily sensitive skin. The serum is great. Tightens up the skin and looks really fresh. The eye cream seems to have worked wonders. And the micellar water is a great cleanser.

All products less around €5.
    Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Impulsively bought benefit high beam and ordered a lloreal steam pod. Thinking now maybe should have just got a new ghd. I hope the high beam is worth the price

Has anyone a recommendation for a quick drying body moisturiser? I hate that sticky feeling some moisturisers leave behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Has anyone a recommendation for a quick drying body moisturiser? I hate that sticky feeling some moisturisers leave behind.

I like these Dove firming ones, they smell lovely and don't leave that sticky residue that drives me insane! http://www.boots.ie/en/Dove-Derma-Spa-Uplifted-Body-Lotion-200ml-Actions_1711563/ Currently on 3 for 2 with loads of other body and hair stuff in boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

RubyGlee wrote: »
    Impulsively bought benefit high beam and ordered a lloreal steam pod. Thinking now maybe should have just got a new ghd. I hope the high beam is worth the price

The steampod is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

RubyGlee wrote: »

You will not regret the steampod - ive both a steampod and a ghd and I havent used my ghd since i got the steampod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

can someone recommend me a cheapy eyeshadow primer - I was thinking of getting the Soap and Glory one?

ams wrote: »
    can someone recommend me a cheapy eyeshadow primer - I was thinking of getting the Soap and Glory one?

I bought the Catrice primer in penneys. Have to say, it's bloody brilliant. I'm 47 and would have a few lines, and this stuff just airbrushs your makeup.
    Chip as chips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Really want to buy the Blank Canvas Master Series One palette. I've had it used on me a few times this year for make up and I love the colours in it and the fact that it's matte. It was supposed to be released today and I was planning on treating myself to it along with the Pippa palette - now it won't be released for at least another week. Yup, first world problems I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Jake1 wrote: »
    I bought the Catrice primer in penneys. Have to say, it's bloody brilliant. I'm 47 and would have a few lines, and this stuff just airbrushs your makeup.
    Chip as chips too.

I agree but the essence one is equally good and cheaper again.

The soap and glory one is also brilliant and, at 5.50, not much dearer than the other two.

Of the three, the s&g one is the best imo!

(and it's buy one get one half price in Boots currently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

ams wrote: »

Definitely the catrice eyeshadow base! Its the prime and fine eyeshadow base and is in a tube like a lipgloss. I was an urban decay primer potion devotee till i tried the catrice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My friend brought these back for me from her trip home to Korea. They're both from Etude House. Looking forward to trying them!

wpid-1015678_b.jpg

41e1JbY00vL._SY355_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭makingmecrazy

Valentina wrote: »
    It's instore in Boots, even though it says on their site online only! :)

Got it myself instore, the gifts are lovely.

I went into Boots yesterday to pick up the Double wear and there was no sign of the free goodies offer :(
    Got chatting to the girl behind the counter about makeup :o
    Was just taking the Double wear when I said to her "I just must have missed the freebies" and she said "I actually have a couple left under the counter if you want to pick up something else":eek:
    She was lovely and it makes such a difference to have friendly people behind a counter so thanks Boots girl, you were lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Thanks for the Eyeshadow Primer recommendations :)

I recently put The Sanctuary Ultimate Salt Scrub into my online shopping basket, it was cheap and I wanted free delivery on my order! I kinda did need a body scrub as the only other one I had was the Cocoa Brown Tough Stuff. Well my God! It is fantastic! It didn't feel harsh on the skin, but there was a good scrub out of it all the same. My skin felt fantastic afterwards! The salt is mixed with oil so I'm guessing this was why. But really my skin was so soft after, I didn't feel like I needed a moisturiser and I normally do as I have dehydrated skin. It's in a big glass kiln jar so I have to make sure I don't drop it in the shower!
    http://www.sanctuary.com/en-gb/salt-scrub/
    It's €18 in Boots but I got it here:
    http://www.inishpharmacy.com/p/sanctuary-spa-salt-scrub-650g/300090
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Sanctuary-Salt-Scrub-650g_11875/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I recently put The Sanctuary Ultimate Salt Scrub into my online shopping basket, it was cheap and I wanted free delivery on my order! I kinda did need a body scrub as the only other one I had was the Cocoa Brown Tough Stuff. Well my God! It is fantastic! It didn't feel harsh on the skin, but there was a good scrub out of it all the same. My skin felt fantastic afterwards! The salt is mixed with oil so I'm guessing this was why. But really my skin was so soft after, I didn't feel like I needed a moisturiser and I normally do as I have dehydrated skin. It's in a big glass kiln jar so I have to make sure I don't drop it in the shower!
    http://www.sanctuary.com/en-gb/salt-scrub/
    It's €18 in Boots but I got it here:
    http://www.inishpharmacy.com/p/sanctuary-spa-salt-scrub-650g/300090
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Sanctuary-Salt-Scrub-650g_11875/

It's brilliant nearly at the end of mine now. I use it on my face if I feel I really need exfoliation.

Another one I've used is green angel morning scrub. It's a lemony salt scrub.
    Bit more expensive but it's divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

That's some difference in the price Sunny Dayz-are Boots normally that much more expensive?

I always think I'm getting a good deal because of the points and usually 3 for 2 offers! I never really shop around!

I'll be picking up that Body Scrub too thanks!

I tried out the Rimmel in shower tan.

Don't buy it. I look ridiculous. Patches all over myself.

saggycaggy wrote: »
    That's some difference in the price Sunny Dayz-are Boots normally that much more expensive?

I always think I'm getting a good deal because of the points and usually 3 for 2 offers! I never really shop around!

I'll be picking up that Body Scrub too thanks!
    To be honest I usually do my toiletries shopping in Boots or Magees chemist or Superdrug, both in Letterkenny. I would have never though of Boots as expensive ans usually avail of their offers and use my loyality vouchers and points. But I just happened across the website searching for Bellamianta tan in stock and needed (ok wanted) to avail of free shipping. It was only went I googled the scrub yesterday for link for ye and saw the price on boots that I realised that I hit on a little bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

By far the best shampoo and conditioner i've ever used! the rose oil is also fabulous... excellent for blondes who want nice shiny hair without the grease!

http://www.lookfantastic.com/brands/o-right.list

Advertisement