Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

This is a good dry shampoo, doesn't give much volume though could just be my hair but its great if you want to freshen up your hair or do an upstyle etc.

https://www.boots.ie/en/Toni-Guy-Cleanse-Dry-Shampoo-250ml_1234365/

I really like this one by Herbal Essences too http://www.boots.ie/en/Herbal-Essences-Clearly-Naked-0-Dry-Shampoo-180ml_1525267/

I've tried one by Bumble & Bumble and it was awful. Left a grey cast on my hair like I had grey dandruff, horrendous.

Oh that's brilliant to know because I was considering splashing out on a Bumble and Bumble one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Does anyone know if any stores have an Estee Lauder gift with purchase offer running?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've moved to a hard water area and my hair is starting to feel the effects. Can anyone recommend something really good to give it a bit of love?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Scraggs wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any stores have an Estee Lauder gift with purchase offer running?

Nothing running at the moment. They did have a GWP last month or the month before. I don't know how often they come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

dee_mc wrote: »
    Oh that's brilliant to know because I was considering splashing out on a Bumble and Bumble one!
    The one I had was in a white tin. I can't remember the name but it was horrific. I had to wash my hair straight away. I've tried a few bad shampoos, but that was the worst by far.

I've learned the hard way to try a dry shampoo on a day where I won't be leaving the house, that way if its awful I can wash it out asap without having to leave it in all day.
    I've moved to a hard water area and my hair is starting to feel the effects. Can anyone recommend something really good to give it a bit of love?
    For dryness I would recommend the Dove nourishing care oil range, they're amazing. The mask is particularly good.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Dove-Hair-Nourishing-Oil-Care-Repair-Mask-200ml_1262079/

http://www.boots.ie/en/Dove-Hair-Therapy-Nourishing-Oil-Care-Shampoo-250ml_1252167/

http://www.boots.ie/en/Dove-Nourishing-Oil-Care-Hair-Therapy-Conditioner-200ml_1247384/

http://www.boots.ie/en/Dove-Hair-Nourishing-Oil-Care-Leave-In-Spray-200ml_1262075/

I've used this and found it alright, didn't do a huge amount for me, I prefer the mask to be honest.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Dove-Hair-Therapy-Nourishing-Oil-Care-Express-Treatment-Conditioner-180ml_1247386/

Dealz sometimes sell the shampoo and conditioner, I know they regularly have the other products in the Dove hair therapy range but only sporadically have the nourishing oil shampoo/conditioner.

This argan oil from Penneys is the best, its about €2-€3, and a little goes a long way. It also halves the time it takes to blow-dry my hair. Normally would take me a good 20-25mins to dry my hair as its long and thick and I've a lot of it but with this oil it takes about 10 minutes.

hask.jpg

I piked these up recently and I am not impressed so far. :(

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Paris-Elvive-Extraordinary-Clay-Re-Balancing-Shampoo-400ml_1790351/

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Paris-Elvive-Extraordinary-Clay-Re-Balancing-Conditioner-400ml_1790355/

http://www.boots.ie/en/LOreal-Paris-Elvive-Extraordinary-Clay-Masque-Pre-Shampoo-Treatment-150ml_1790357/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

This argan oil from Penneys is the best, its about €2-€3, and a little goes a long way. It also halves the time it takes to blow-dry my hair. Normally would take me a good 20-25mins to dry my hair as its long and thick and I've a lot of it but with this oil it takes about 10 minutes.

hask.jpg

That Argan oil is fab stuff, especially for the price. I wouldn't be without it.

That Argan oil is fab stuff, especially for the price. I wouldn't be without it.
    I agree. I have one bottle on the go and another as a back up as I remember a while ago it was nowhere to be found until Penneys got it back in. That was a long few weeks without it. :o

The ingredients in it are very similar to the Moroccan Oil I think it is, very little in difference, and the Moroccan oil is a lot more expensive. I think its around €40 a bottle. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I agree. I have one bottle on the go and another as a back up as I remember a while ago it was nowhere to be found until Penneys got it back in. That was a long few weeks without it. :o

The ingredients in it are very similar to the Moroccan Oil I think it is, very little in difference, and the Moroccan oil is a lot more expensive. I think its around €40 a bottle. :eek:

I have a bottle and I rarely use it - I'm just not sure what to do with it! Do you use a drop in wet hair and then just blow-dry as usual?!

Tiriel wrote: »
    I have a bottle and I rarely use it - I'm just not sure what to do with it! Do you use a drop in wet hair and then just blow-dry as usual?!
    Yeah that's exactly what I do. I only use a small amount though, maybe a drop the size of a one cent coin and I have long, thick, frizzy hair, so for shorter/finer hair I'd use less.

I've often put it in dry hair, sometimes before styling sometimes after styling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Yeah that's exactly what I do. I only use a small amount though, maybe a drop the size of a one cent coin and I have long, thick, frizzy hair, so for shorter/finer hair I'd use less.

I've often put it in dry hair, sometimes before styling sometimes after styling.

Yup. I use it after washing and before drying my hair. I have short (pixie style) hair and use a tiny tiny drop, literally about the size of a small raisin. It seems like nothing, but a little goes a long long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OK now seriously, someone needs to take my bank card off me, or delete my accounts with online retailers! More online shopping for stuff I don't need!

Actually I kinda did need a new foundation brush - I've been using a flat top kabuki brush to apply my foundation, I got it cheap with a load of other face brushes on ebay a good while ago. But a few bristles have fallen out the last couple of weeks and it feels loose at the ferrule so I'd say it's on the way out. The F20 from Blank Canvas is more of less the same brush. I went to my local chemist, they had them in stock for €26.99 for the pack of two. Blank Canvas website were selling them for €19.99 plus I'd a 10% off code so €17.99 delivered, saving €9!
    http://www.blankcanvascosmetics.com/products/duo-hot-pink-f20-set.html

On Cloud 10 Beauty I picked up The Balm liquid lipstick in the shade Honest - I was scared it would look quite orange and unflattering as my teeth aren't pearly white but no it looks really nice on!
    https://www.cloud10beauty.com/brands/thebalm/thebalm-meet-matt-e-hughes-liquid-lipstick.html

I also got the Cocoa Brown travel set. I had absolutely no need for this, just pure curiosity as my locality seems to be very slow in getting in her new products. I haven't tried it out yet. I know I'll use up the hair products and shower gel, I'm apprehensive about the wipes and haven't read any reviews about the wipes either...
    https://www.cloud10beauty.com/brands/cocoa-brown/cocoa-brown-travel-set.html

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

I recently had my make-up done for a wedding and the girl used Nivea post shave balm on me as a Primer and it was amazing! my make-up didn't budge and it reduced redness ( I have some rosecea on my cheeks) worth a look for anyone looking for a cheap primer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are Kevin Murphy products available to buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I was on holidays in New York and London recently and I went insane in Sephora and Selfridges :/

Got the Becca Jacyln Hill face palette in Sephora, champagne pop is the most gorgeous highlighter ever.

Also bought the Hourglass Ambient lighting palette, this stuff gives an amazing finish to your face. Just makes your skin glow without making it look shiny or glittery. I got so many compliments on my skin when I wore it to an occasion recently and I do not have good skin!!

Got the Anastasia Brow wiz pencil, it is really easy and quick to use.

Other bits of make up too in Mac and Charlotte Tilbury but the above is what I'm most impressed with so far.

For skincare, I got the Clinique take the day off balm and the Oskia Renaissance Cleansing gel, they are both fantastic and I'm in love with them already.

Splashed out on the Luna Sleeping oil by Sunday Riley. I've been using it for just over a week so I'll wait for a few more weeks before I decide if I like it or not.

Thank god I don't like in the states because I would be even more broke than I already am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Went to Selfridges Beauty Hall earlier with a friend who works there and got loads of samples as she knew everyone. Tried the new Estee lauder ampoules and my skin feels so lush... its pricy though so I don't know if it's worth investing in I'll wait til I hear more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Just a heads up that there is a ton of stila landed into TK Maxx (in Stephens green anyway) - they have the CC cream for 12.99 loads of nice eyeshadows for 5.99 and some convertibles colours (smaller ones) for 5.99. Picked up a convertibles colour in Poppy - I have a nude one already but unfortunately it makes me look dead:(!

They also had some of the Guy Bourdin Nars blushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

emzibob wrote: »
    I recently had my make-up done for a wedding and the girl used Nivea post shave balm on me as a Primer and it was amazing! my make-up didn't budge and it reduced redness ( I have some rosecea on my cheeks) worth a look for anyone looking for a cheap primer

I've heard too much about this so today I finally bought it. I'm nearly at the end of the Nyx Shine Control primer which was good for putting on make-up, but pish for shine control. I have very oily skin so if this aftershave balm did the trick I'd be laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I've used it a few times and I'm torn. I do really like it, I found it works really well with a foundation that I otherwise found a bit dry and powdery.

But on the other hand I have a very oily nose and it did that no favours...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,475 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I picked up a Sleek Make Up palette for cheeks and eyes in Dealz for 1.50

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I picked up a Sleek Make Up palette for cheeks and eyes in Dealz for 1.50

Which Dealz was it? That's a serious bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I bought the clarins everlasting foundation on a whim last week was in a bargain bucket at Debenhams for €10.50.

Used it today. I'm impressed overall. It's heavier coverage than I'd normally go for so took a little longer to blend when applying. But it lasts a good 6 hours before retouching up.

Great to get a bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I needed a new cleanser so I picked up one from Ren in my local chemist. It's called Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk. It's more of a light cream than a milk. I really like it so far. I have quite oily skin and it seems to be helping with it. For €20 I'm happy. This is my first Ren product but I'll definitely be trying out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Genuinely can't recommend the ABH Modern Renaissance palette enough! I've had mine about two weeks now and it is definitely the best eyeshadow palette I've ever owned. The pigmentation is unbelievable and the shadows are so easy to blend - big thumbs up from me!

I also finally got the Inglot 77 gel liner and can definitely see what the fuss is about - super easy to use and does not budge all day! I've been applying it with the Real Tehniques silicone liner brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Aeternum wrote: »
    Genuinely can't recommend the ABH Modern Renaissance palette enough! I've had mine about two weeks now and it is definitely the best eyeshadow palette I've ever owned. The pigmentation is unbelievable and the shadows are so easy to blend - big thumbs up from me!

I also finally got the Inglot 77 gel liner and can definitely see what the fuss is about - super easy to use and does not budge all day! I've been applying it with the Real Tehniques silicone liner brush.

Couldn't agree more!!!

It's a stunning palette, filled with superb colours that work brilliantly together to create numerous looks.

Matts, satins, & shimmers are all amazing quality, and ridiculously easy to blend.

You only need the lightest dip of your brush to pick up pigment...be careful as too heavy a hand will deliver fall out!

But they are not powdery, just extremely buttery & gorgeous!!!

Love this palette!

If you are on a budget & really can't stretch to this, then pick up the Makeup Revolution New-trals vs Neutrals Palette.

http://www.makeuprevolutionstore.com/palettes/new-trals-vs-neutrals-palette.html

It's not a dupe but has some very similar colours & is also fantastic quality, and only £6.99 on their site (download their app & get 20% off), or €9.69 in chemists in Tallaght (The Square) & Newbridge, or £6.99 on Superdrug website (currently 3for2 until 6pm next Tuesday).

http://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Eyes/Eye-Shadow-Palettes/Makeup-Revolution-New-trals-vs-Neutrals/p/567512

If Too Faced Peach palette & ABH Modern Renaissance palette married & had a child it would be New-trals vs Neutrals!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Not strictly a cosmetic product but definitely deserves a review -

Ingrown-X-It Solution by Lycon. I had my last Hollywood bikini wax at Brazila (usually go to Waxperts) and it was recommended to my when I asked about ingrowns. I don't have a major problem with them but I'd get one or two per wax and they'd always leave an unsightly purplish mark.

Not a single ingrown in the month after using it once a day! So so happy! It's just a spray on and I've used about 10% of the bottle so it'll last a year.

Also - the Lycon wax itself was brill, even more painless than Waxperts

http://lycon.ie/index.php/product/ingrown-x-it-solution/

I paid somewhere between 20 -25 euro for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Victoria. wrote: »

Ingrown-X-It Solution by Lycon. I had my last Hollywood bikini wax at Brazila (usually go to Waxperts) and it was recommended to my when I asked about ingrowns. I don't have a major problem with them but I'd get one or two per wax and they'd always leave an unsightly purplish mark.

Not a single ingrown in the month after using it once a day! So so happy! It's just a spray on and I've used about 10% of the bottle so it'll last a year.

Brazilia are the only place i go for a bikini wax. Never had an issue with them. And I used that spray too and it worked wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 22 411

Just got an email from Beauty Bay saying the Violet Voss Holy Grail palette was back in stock so had to log on and purchase it! Has anyone tried it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I got the Sleek Garden of Eden palette today (€10.95); just swatched it with primer and it's quite impressive! One of the greens and one of the purple matte tones look very 'bruisey' but the rest are gorgeous. I didn't notice til I swatched it but one of them is the perfect rose gold metallic, which I'd been looking for. I'll be trying them out for a wedding next week, bit of a change from my usual UD Naked 2 eye look.
    Also picked up a nail varnish in Dealz (€1.50 so I wasn't expecting wonders) in the shade Khaki Green 21. It looked pretty good after one thin coat, a little patchy after 2 but absolutely gorgeous after 3 thin coats. Small bit of tip wear but no chipping, after applying it Monday evening. It's still very glossy too. Top marks and the low price is a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Victoria. wrote: »

Just when you mention Waxperts.... Does anyone use the Waxperts Wonder pads? I read rave reviews about them and got them but they don't seem to do anything for me. I get a couple of ingrown hairs on the inside of my calves and the pads don't seem to make any difference to me. Do you have to use them everyday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Got Physicians Formula mineral powder and a bronzer as well on offer in Lloyd's Pharmacy. Excited to try them out :)

Advertisement