Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The opal skin perfector is gorgeous, but the powder is too dark for me, I can't use it, it's almost green on my pinkish irish skin! Moonstone would be my recommendation for pale girls! I have pearl in full size, which is white, I love it, but it's probably a bit too pale for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

mejulie805 wrote: »
    It's definitely up to you! I'm an NC20 in MAC with the same features as you! To be honest I'm not sure what people are on about with it- it does take a very light touch- I'd use a fan brush to apply, so I guess it might look crazy if you pile it on :pac:

Good tip! I've decided to go for the Champagne Pop in full size (I have a weirdness about mini products for some reason, I never look after them) but will experiment with various brushes so I don't look like i'm going to a carnival the entire time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Good tip! I've decided to go for the Champagne Pop in full size (I have a weirdness about mini products for some reason, I never look after them) but will experiment with various brushes so I don't look like i'm going to a carnival the entire time!

I love mini products because I get bored long before I get through the full size one. My make up is mostly minis! :D

Does anyone know which shade of double wear light is most like double wear in shell and most importantly if boots sell it so I can use my points?!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I love mini products because I get bored long before I get through the full size one. My make up is mostly minis! :D

Does anyone know which shade of double wear light is most like double wear in shell and most importantly if boots sell it so I can use my points?!

Have you used Findation? I reference it a lot and it's been right 99% of the time. If you put in 2 shades you know you are, it lists all the foundations it has in the appropriate shade. Both those double wear ones are listed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

So I got my Estee Lauder order from boots.ie, thanks to the poster who recommended it on this thread.
    I got Modern Muse perfume (Modern Muse Nuit wasn't included in the offer for some reason, so I took a gamble on the original one based on another recommendation on this thread and it's gorgeous - I actually prefer it!)
    The set itself is great value for €70 - a 30ml Advanced Night Repair is almost that price anyway, and the other goodies are nice quality and decent sizes.
    There's an ANR cleanser I'd been wanting to try, not full size but much larger than a sample, and a 15ml tub of moisturiser that works beautifully with the ANR as a makeup base.
    The eyeshadow palette is robust but has an open space for a lip gloss instead of a closed groove for an eyeshadow brush, which is a bit annoying. The brushes supplied with the palette are awful but that's always the case. The eyeshadow colours are great, warm toned nudes, dark brown, black and plum (10 matte and 6 shimmer) - I'll use them all, but the pigmentation isn't brilliant. Without a primer I'd say the colour payoff would be very poor, but with my usual primer and my own brushes I did a lovely, simple burgundy/plum smoky eye this morning.
    The blushers look fine, but the pans are small so I'll probably only use them in an emergency(!) or as eyeshadow.
    The lip glosses are great - a shimmery nude and a 'my lips but better' shade, they're not sticky and the applicators are lovely. I don't normally use gloss but I'm converted by these.
    The lipsticks are very nice too - highly pigmented but soft and moisturising. A good shade of red and another 'my lips but better' shade, just what I needed after a big makeup clearout last week. The packaging is flimsy/feels cheap though; not up the the brand's usual standard!
    The mascara is fabulous, and I'm very fussy when it comes to mascara! The brush is enormous but very easy to use. Lovely dark black, no clumping, slightly volumising, slightly lengthening, encourages a curl - I'm a fan. The packaging is very pretty too.
    There's a good sample of Modern Muse Rouge, a gorgeous perfume, and again it's a big sample and it has an atomiser, which is a bonus.
    The bag isn't great but my mum loves it!
    All in all it's worth a splurge, I'm glad I went for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Have you used Findation? I reference it a lot and it's been right 99% of the time. If you put in 2 shades you know you are, it lists all the foundations it has in the appropriate shade. Both those double wear ones are listed!

Great idea thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

dee_mc wrote: »
    So I got my Estee Lauder order from boots.ie, thanks to the poster who recommended it on this thread.
    I got Modern Muse perfume (Modern Muse Nuit wasn't included in the offer for some reason, so I took a gamble on the original one based on another recommendation on this thread and it's gorgeous - I actually prefer it!)

It was me who recommended it :o:) Glad you like it!

I had ordered it too and panic picked Youth Dew as according to the description it had notes I like. I then smelt it in store and it wasn't for me so reluctantly I returned the whole thing.

I was in Boots today and this offer is now also available in store and Modern Muse Nuit is part of the deal so I got that instead. I wasn't a massive fan of the original MM but Nuit is gorgeous.

Valentina wrote: »
    It was me who recommended it :o:) Glad you like it!

I had ordered it too and panic picked Youth Dew as according to the description it had notes I like. I then smelt it in store and it wasn't for me so reluctantly I returned the whole thing.

I was in Boots today and this offer is now also available in store and Modern Muse Nuit is part of the deal so I got that instead. I wasn't a massive fan of the original MM but Nuit is gorgeous.

I loved the Nuit but I think the original one is fresher so a bit different than my other perfumes.
    I'm impressed by the staying power of the eyeshadows and mascara in particular, my eyes still look perfect after a long enough day and I've got a horrid cold so I'm even more impressed!
    Glad you got sorted, enjoy playing with your new toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Finally got these.

MAC Nutcracker bronze pigment set:D

mac_nutcrackersweet_pigmentsbronze001.jpg

macnswatch2-1024x768.jpg

Can't wait to get them :D

That MAC set looks phenom! I'm going on a work trip to London on Tuesday so hopefully they'll have it in either Dublin or Gatwick! :) £26 is pretty reasonable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

That MAC set looks phenom! I'm going on a work trip to London on Tuesday so hopefully they'll have it in either Dublin or Gatwick! :) £26 is pretty reasonable :)
    I can't wait to get it. I love pigments but for me the bigger (normal/regular size anyway) MAC pigments are way too big and I'd never get through a full one so I prefer getting the smaller sets at Xmas.

I've some that I got two years ago and despite regular use, they're still 95% full so I couldn't justify buying a large one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'm going to look like a disco ball when my mac order arrives... I ordered 2 of the new extra dimension highlighters and the new gold strobe cream as well as some eyeshadow refills and concealer. Loving the exchange rate as I saved nearly e50 off BT prices by ordering directly. So excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I tried out the Lidl Gold cream for mature skin and it's great. It soaks in very fast and leaves me well moisturized. I know it's cheap but it's a hell of a lot better then some of the top branded creams out there. I like their day moisturizer too as it has sun ray protection in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Anyone have opinions on the Kat Von D metal matte palette? I recall a couple of people had bought it a while back, how do ye rate it? I think I'm gonna treat myself to it, it's stunning. And works out at less than 3 euro a shadow... sure it's a bargain really :o

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Anyone have opinions on the Kat Von D metal matte palette? I recall a couple of people had bought it a while back, how do ye rate it? I think I'm gonna treat myself to it, it's stunning. And works out at less than 3 euro a shadow... sure it's a bargain really

The metallics are stunning. The palette itself is huge. I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet but I'm really looking forward to it!

Got two Becca Glow on the go kits in Moonstone, one gift and one for myself, and an Emma Hardy Christmas Cleansing Balm for a gift also!!

Can't wait for it now!!!

Anyone have opinions on the Kat Von D metal matte palette? I recall a couple of people had bought it a while back, how do ye rate it? I think I'm gonna treat myself to it, it's stunning. And works out at less than 3 euro a shadow... sure it's a bargain really :o

LOL, I love this logic :D

LOL, I love this logic :D

:o

I also see that debenhams have 10% off beauty at the moment.. tis fate!! Just hope the 10% keeps going til Friday when I get paid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I've had mine a week now and I'm really impressed!! The metals are divine and they work well buffed on, packed with a brush or directly with your finger. I've been using the mattes every day going to work and did a semi-dramatic look over the weekend. They wear really well, haven't noticed any fallout and don't patch. It was so worth it I haven't regretted it for a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

How do people actually use Benetint? That stuff should come with a warning. Clown red cheeks for the day it is.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    How do people actually use Benetint? That stuff should come with a warning. Clown red cheeks for the day it is.

I used to use it a lot (not sure why I stopped) but I used to draw three stripes on my cheeks, close together, and then pat it with my fingers in a circular motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You need to be quick acting with that stuff! Haven't used it in years. I think it works best on bare skin, not over foundation imo. I used it a few times as a lip stain but found it drying on my lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I used to use it a lot (not sure why I stopped) but I used to draw three stripes on my cheeks, close together, and then pat it with my fingers in a circular motion.

I used two stripes and tried to blend but nothing happened. Literally have two stripes across my cheeks. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I found it quite drying on my lips aswell, never tried it on my cheeks! Also I didn't realise but I have VERY ticklish lips haha it took all my strength not to laugh when I was putting it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

A truly overrated product, pretty much like the rest of the Benefit range

I love the origins of Benetint!

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/how-to/a9186/benefit-lip-cheek-stain-040711/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I like their mascaras, and high beam is good. But I just don't find myself reaching for their products. Benetint, high beam and Posietint are all sitting in the back of my make up drawer. They're expensive, that's why I haven't thrown them out!
    I've been tempted to try the Hoola bronzer but even the mini version is pricey.

I love their bronzers and find them good value because it takes me so long to use it up. I'm a fan of their waterproof eyeliners too and I use their tiny brow mascara deely too, lovely natural finish, but most of their stuff is scandalously overpriced.
    I'll say one thing for them though, they are very helpful and generally not pushy on their counters. I've spent up to an hour with them trying various products and they've given sample etc and I haven't felt any pressure to buy. They also spent a lot of time patiently showing my teenage friend how to apply eyeliner and eyeshadow and genuinely didn't push her to buy - she did get a few bits anyway, so their strategy works!

Got the Kat Von D metal matte palette it should be in store tomorrow! :D (I chose click and collect). Also picked up a nyx lip lingerie in exotic and I love it :) wore it for a short while last night and it felt lovely on, not drying at all!

Soooo excited for the palette to arrive :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I got a few things from imAge skincare! Have also gotten 2 facials. Really do notice a difference in my skin it's a lot brighter and clearer! Still have a few teeny lines but the ones under my eyes are starting to improve! Any one else use it and how do ye find it??

Waiting on my NYX lip vault to come got in the states when it came out but just waiting for it to get here now! Also treated myself to a Jeffre star lipstick!! On a makeup and skincare ban now. Will treat myself to something at Xmas time tho!! If the ban lasts....

Advertisement