Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

My Black Friday Colourpop order arrived today. Got the Kathleen Lights Where the light is quad and another eyeshadow and a lippystick. The Kathleen Lights quad is gorgeous and will be perfect for the party season and was only $18 as free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

whatever76 wrote: »
    good list of Splurge V's Steal products

Love to know where they found the NYX pallette shown for 7 euros? Boots has it at 25.50 Don't see it anywhere for that.

There is this one for 7, but it's not the one they are advertising in the article:

http://www.boots.ie/en/NYX-Cream-Highlight-Contour-Palette-Light_1826495

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Is the beauty blender worth the money or does real technique do a similar job. My real techniques one was good but was rubbish afyer I washed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Is the beauty blender worth the money or does real technique do a similar job. My real techniques one was good but was rubbish afyer I washed it.

It's much better IMO, mine lasted 3 months with daily use and washing with the beauty blender soap. I'm a little disappointed it didn't last longer but it definitely is amazing!

Edit to add, I've had the RT sponge too and found it way to hard and almost sore to apply foundation (I have braces so I've a tender jaw area) and it just didn't wash well at all, chunks out in a week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I have a Lottie London make up sponge and I love it. It's less than a tenner and you can get it on cloud 10 beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Macy's has the UD naked smoky palette for $27 today. I'm getting it shipped to my boyfriend in America so I haven't worried about getting it home to me but maybe one of those parcel motel delivery services might work for anyone interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I'm actually heading to the US in a few weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for products to get over there.

I'm actually heading to the US in a few weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for products to get over there.

If you are a fan of Mac eyeshadows the pans are considerably cheaper over there now, $6 each vs €10 each here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I always recommend the L'Oréal infallible 24 hour eyeshadow. Especially in the shade amber rush. I adore it! Cover girl mascaras are really good everyday mascara and are less that $10. Don't just head to Sephora. Target, Walgreens and ulta beauty are great places to shop aswell. Target and walgreens have lots of drugstore brands. Ulta stocks both drugstore and high end make up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Icsics

ELF is very cheap in Target/Walmart, have a look online. Burts Bees very good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

La.de.da wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a hair product to tame fly away hairs.

My hair is quite fine and gets greasy very quickly so something light weight. Been using uniq1 from revlon but it's too heavy.

Tresseme? The white conditioner and black shampoo bottles. They don't weigh down the hair and use a clarifying shampoo in between gos and maybe leave the conditioner to the ends of the hair, don't use product either afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Any recommendations for somewhere to get brows done in cork city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I find ibrow on Oliver Plunkett street great.

I can't advise where to go but I can advise where to avoid, Benefit Brow Bar in Mahon Point. Unless you're after the over-plucked skinny Brow look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Ordered these from BT over the weekend when they were running the MAC promotion:

MAC Impassioned Lipstick. Love a bold pink like this for the upcoming party season with just cat eyeliner or a very pale gold lid.
    mac_impassionedlipstick004.jpg

MAC Ruby Woo Lipstick. Never bought this before so I hope it suits me.
    mac_rubywoo003.jpg

MAC Peachykeen Blush. This is a repurchase as I seem to have lost my original :( It's a gorgeous, warm colour that blends out beautifully. I like to wear all year round and I often get compliments on it :)
    macpeachykeenblushreview1.png

Lipstick photos from Temptalia. Blush photo from thebeautymilk.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I tried out the RT one a few months back but I've gone back to using a Beauty Blender. The RT one just seemed to disintegrate very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've recently converted to the mini version of the Beauty Blender. I find them far handier for under my eyes and around my nose. Find the normal sized one far too big and awkward now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Anyone recommend a few brushes for me? I've been managing with the double ended brush that came with my Naked 2 palette but I'd like something a bit more precise. I also want a fan shaped highlighter brush because I think they're cool :D
    So, I guess I need a crease brush, and something for getting shadow on to the lid, a blending brush, and something for smudging a bit of shadow under my lower lashes (I don't really do eyeliner below my eyes)? And the highlighter brush.
    Do I really need the 5, or are there multitaskers?
    I'd be happy to pay up to about €75 in total (sure it's Christmas and all that).

One more question, does anyone successfully use a beauty blender to apply Double Wear? Would you recommend it? I just use my fingers but am curious about the Beauty Blender. I tried using a Real Techniques one with another foundation in the past and couldn't get to grips with it at all but maybe I was doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

dee_mc wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a few brushes for me? I've been managing with the double ended brush that came with my Naked 2 palette but I'd like something a bit more precise. I also want a fan shaped highlighter brush because I think they're cool :D
    So, I guess I need a crease brush, and something for getting shadow on to the lid, a blending brush, and something for smudging a bit of shadow under my lower lashes (I don't really do eyeliner below my eyes)? And the highlighter brush.
    I'd be happy to pay up to about €75 in total (sure it's Christmas and all that).

One more question, does anyone successfully use a beauty blender to apply Double Wear? Would you recommend it? I just use my fingers but am curious about the Beauty Blender. I tried using a Real Techniques one with another foundation in the past and couldn't get to grips with it at all but maybe I was doing it wrong.

I tend to use a foundation brush to apply my double wear and then use my RT blender to dab it and take away the brush marks. I find it's what works best for me

• Advertisement

I use a Beauty Blender with DW. I put one to two drops of DW on a palette and it does my whole face and neck. I have used my fingers, other brand blenders, all kinds of different brushes to apply, and nothing comes close to the Beauty Blender. My skin looks gently airbrushed, glowy and flawless tbh! I love it. The only problem I have personally is that I find the whole soaking/drying the Blender a little time consuming, especially in the morning :)

For eye brushes, I like MAC 213 for packing shadow on to the lid. The 224 and 217 are good for blending all over and blending the crease. Also nice for sheer washes of colour all over the eye area. For along the lower lash line my favourite is the 219. :)

Further to my post above re eyeshadow brushes, any thoughts on the Eco Tools ones from Boots?
    Would the angled eyeliner brush be the right job for applying shadow to the lower lash line?
    Would these do everything I'm looking for http://www.boots.ie/en/EcoTools-Eye-Enhancing-Duo-Brush-Set_1435666/ or is it worth spending more?
    I'm hesitant to buy a complete set because I have blusher/bronzer/powder brushes I like and have no need for foundation brushes or brow combs etc.
    I didn't realise just how clueless I am when it comes to brushes!

Ankhyu wrote: »
    I tend to use a foundation brush to apply my double wear and then use my RT blender to dab it and take away the brush marks. I find it's what works best for me

I second this. I use the Sigma flat top kabuki brush (F80 I think) to apply and then use Beauty Blender to smooth out any brush marks if necessary. I found I wasn't getting as much coverage as I like with the BB, especially for nights out when I prefer the flawless look that DW can give.

Edit to say Blank Canvas do sets of eye brushes which include all the basic brushes one would need. They are often available at a discount too, e.g. there was 40% (30% + additional 10% with blogger code) off everything for Black Friday so could be picked up very reasonably. I'm not a fan myself but they get lots of good reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I dampen my Beauty Blender with Mac Fix plus spray. It's so much handier than running to the tap every time I want to use it and I think it looks better this way plus the sponge dries faster.

Valentina wrote: »
    I use a Beauty Blender with DW. I put one to two drops of DW on a palette and it does my whole face and neck. I have used my fingers, other brand blenders, all kinds of different brushes to apply, and nothing comes close to the Beauty Blender. My skin looks gently airbrushed, glowy and flawless tbh! I love it. The only problem I have personally is that I find the whole soaking/drying the Blender a little time consuming, especially in the morning :)

For eye brushes, I like MAC 213 for packing shadow on to the lid. The 224 and 217 are good for blending all over and blending the crease. Also nice for sheer washes of colour all over the eye area. For along the lower lash line my favourite is the 219. :)

Brilliant, now I know what shapes I'm looking for!
    Is there a particular brush that's worth a splurge or one you can afford to scrimp on, because I can't afford/justify to go MAC all the way!

Is there a particular brush that's worth a splurge or one you can afford to scrimp on, because I can't afford/justify to go MAC all the way!

I have seconds and thirds of all those brushes (and more :o ) from Crown Brush. You can buy online - www.crownbrush.ie The brushes are great quality, just as good as the MAC imo and wash really well. They are cheap as they are unbranded.

I just checked my order history with them and these are what I have:

SS020 Syntho Precision Crease
    SS030 Syntho Mini Concealer
    SS021 Syntho Blending Fluff
    C330 Blending Crease
    C411 Pointed Blender

They're all around €5-7 each.

I suppose if I had to pick one MAC brush I couldn't do without, I think the 213 is just the best for packing the colour on.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Blank canvas fan here! I had 2 of the sigma f80 flat top kabuki which i loved at first til they literally fell apart after very little use - i bought the blank canvas f20 which is exactly the same except cheaper and they are much much better. I use it to apply double wear and it gives a fab finish on the skin.
    My 2 favourite eye brushes are the e26 blending brush (practically identical to my mac 217) and the e24 flat shader - both are about 7 euro each!
    I have loads of different brushes from different brands and the blank canvas really surprised me. I buy them from cloud10 beauty as theres usually a discount code knocking around.
    Dont rule out pennys either as some of their face brushes are just as good as the big brand named ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Further to my post above re eyeshadow brushes, any thoughts on the Eco Tools ones from Boots?
    Would the angled eyeliner brush be the right job for applying shadow to the lower lash line?
    Would these do everything I'm looking for http://www.boots.ie/en/EcoTools-Eye-Enhancing-Duo-Brush-Set_1435666/ or is it worth spending more?
    I'm hesitant to buy a complete set because I have blusher/bronzer/powder brushes I like and have no need for foundation brushes or brow combs etc.
    I didn't realise just how clueless I am when it comes to brushes!

I have that set and it's lovely for eyes. I love these brushes have a few sets. Good quality and last well.

Have to say I really love my Sigma brushes and haven't had any shedding to note in the 18 or so months I've had them, I've actually had the F80 longer as it's not part of the set I purchased. I found Blank Canvas brushes to be very scratchy but I appreciate others enjoy them so that's why I recommended above.

It's interesting to often see on this thread how some things work for some people but not for others. No matter how many reviews you read or watch there's no way of knowing how something will work on your skin, it makes me very envious of the much more liberal returns policy in the US. The amount of products I've bought that didn't suit over the years! I used to struggle with foundation in the past but colour ranges seem to have expanded in recent years so it's not too bad now but I still struggle with lipsticks. I can never seem to judge if one will suit my colouring or not and I wouldn't dare put a tester near my face for fear of catching the cold sore virus.

• Advertisement

Have to say I really love my Sigma brushes and haven't had any shedding to note in the 18 or so months I've had them, I've actually had the F80 longer as it's not part of the set I purchased. I found Blank Canvas brushes to be very scratchy but I appreciate others enjoy them so that's why I recommended above.

It's interesting to often see on this thread how some things work for some people but not for others. No matter how many reviews you read or watch there's no way of knowing how something will work on your skin, it makes me very envious of the much more liberal returns policy in the US. The amount of products I've bought that didn't suit over the years! I used to struggle with foundation in the past but colour ranges seem to have expanded in recent years so it's not too bad now but I still struggle with lipsticks. I can never seem to judge if one will suit my colouring or not and I wouldn't dare put a tester near my face for fear of catching the cold sore virus.

I test lipsticks on my fingertips and hold them up to my mouth to see if the colour suits. The colour of your fingertips is much more like the colour of your lips than, say, the back of your hand.

Advertisement