Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Ordered my sis a Pippa palette for Christmas and got a discount code for blank canvas if anyone wants it - 10% off - EXTRA10 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Lost my beloved Candy K liquid lipstick. I literally have been in mourning for the last 2 days. The only positive is I found my way back to NYX Matt lip cream in the shade Cannes and although it doesn't have the kylie cosmetics staying power, it really is a gorgeous shade for everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Have to say I really love my Sigma brushes and haven't had any shedding to note in the 18 or so months I've had them, I've actually had the F80 longer as it's not part of the set I purchased. I found Blank Canvas brushes to be very scratchy but I appreciate others enjoy them so that's why I recommended above.

It's interesting to often see on this thread how some things work for some people but not for others. No matter how many reviews you read or watch there's no way of knowing how something will work on your skin, it makes me very envious of the much more liberal returns policy in the US. The amount of products I've bought that didn't suit over the years! I used to struggle with foundation in the past but colour ranges seem to have expanded in recent years so it's not too bad now but I still struggle with lipsticks. I can never seem to judge if one will suit my colouring or not and I wouldn't dare put a tester near my face for fear of catching the cold sore virus.

Exactly! Ive wasted so much money buying stuff and it not suiting me/my skin for 1 reason or another. I loved my f80 brushes and was always careful about washing them etc but the hairs literally came away from the ferule in clumps! In fairness to cloud10 beauty once i emailed them they refunded me for both brushes in less than 24 hours after i sent them pictures and my order number even though it was a number of months since id purchased them.
    One thing i did notice with the blank canvas f20 was a difference in the brush head of the black handled one compared to the pink believe it or not. The hairs on the pink handled one just seems to be more tightly compacted and keep its shape better. I wouldnt buy direct from the company again though as my order was delayed for over a week and when it arrived 2 of the brushes were wrong - not a great first impression!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

I'm actually heading to the US in a few weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for products to get over there.

Walmart do a range of Clinique dupes under their 'Equate' house brand. They have Dramatically unique moisturiser called 'Strinkingly Unique' for around 10 dollars.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Beauty-Strikingly-Unique-Moisturizing-Lotion-4.2-fl-oz/1863496

Most cosmetics are a lot cheaper. The department stores do fab gifts with purchases at this time of year.

White strips (I get the store brand Crest dupes)

I also get big bottles of Tigi conditioner in TJ Maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I had 2 minutes to kill in the pharmacy today so I got sucked in by the cutesy packaging of the W7 It's Magic makeup remover cloth http://www.directcosmetics.com/icode/67899
    I'd heard about the Penneys one during the week and people seemed impressed so thought I'd give this a whirl.
    Just used it there and although it's not quite magic, it works pretty well. I machine washed and dried it first, as advised on the box. I had a lightish coating of Double Wear, a little blush, highlight, light eyeshadow and eye primer and a good bit of mascara, plus some lipliner and lipstick residue. Soaked the cloth in warm water, wrung it out and set to work removing the lot using small circular motions, as advised! The mascara took surprisingly little rubbing. Foundation came off relatively easily (compared to regular makeup remover on a cotton pad, or a makeup wipe), a bit tough on the cheeks (probably because the skin there is quite dry this time of year). The binding round the edges of the cloth work nicely to remove foundation around the hairline. By the time I'd finished, every area of both sides of the cloth looked dirty (you can use both sides of the cloth, it's a double layer so nothing soaks through).
    I gave a quick once-over with a makeup remover wipe as a little test, and it was quite impressive: only a tiny amount of foundation was still on my face, all on the cheeks, and a few little mascara streaks (which doesn't bother me as I could afford to work a bit harder on the eye area next time without causing irritation).
    I'll use it again, probably in the shower, as a pre-cleanse kind of thing.
    The thing I like most about it is the fact that it exfoliates really gently - I've been looking for a good alternative to grainy exfoliator and I think this is it.
    Think I'll invest in the Penneys ones next, seeing as the cloth needs machine washing after every use.
    Also picked up a Flormar foundation, totally on a whim (no recommendations or anything, just took a stab in the dark because the shade looked good!) http://www.flormar.com/english/urungoster.asp?urunid=137&bolumid=11&markaid=13 I got the shade porcelain - looks a bit less pink than most 'porcelain', so we'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I use regular microfibre cloths! Got ones in cash and carry and cut them in 4 so have loads in the go! Perfect!!! Just buy soft ones which most are anyhow so there not to rough on face!!

The W7 one is much more plush or has a far greater pile than a regular microfibre cloth. I wouldn't use a normal microfibre because having used them to wash my hands and arms when cleaning I feel it would be too harsh for my fairly sensitive visage and also I hate how they cling to any little scrap of dry skin on my hands, it makes me cringe!
    The normal microfibres are much cheaper though, certainly worth a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Icsics

Walmart do a range of Clinique dupes under their 'Equate' house brand. They have Dramatically unique moisturiser called 'Strinkingly Unique' for around 10 dollars.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Beauty-Strikingly-Unique-Moisturizing-Lotion-4.2-fl-oz/1863496

Most cosmetics are a lot cheaper. The department stores do fab gifts with purchases at this time of year.

White strips (I get the store brand Crest dupes)

I also get big bottles of Tigi conditioner in TJ Maxx

Completely agree, great deals to be had in Target & Walmart. Fab giftsets for Burts Bees & when I opened them they had $2 coupons & in Target I got $5 giftcards for buying 2 sets. The markup on Burts Bees is huge here. With the weak euro the difference isn't so noticeable in the big brands like Clinique.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Got the Benefit Cheekathon palette this week from House of Fraser. I love it it has all my favourite blushes in it and they're all full size making it amazing value!

Also really enjoying my Look Fantastic Advent calendar- so much better than chocolate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ritamezga

Is there a platform for selling slightly used makeup? I have a whole bunch of stuff from brands like Benefit, Dior, Chanel, etc that I got but ended up not using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

People sell stuff like that on Adverts.ie all the time. If it's the genuine article and in good condition, I am sure it will sell easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

ritamezga wrote: »
    Is there a platform for selling slightly used makeup? I have a whole bunch of stuff from brands like Benefit, Dior, Chanel, etc that I got but ended up not using.

There's a Facebook group. Pm me and I'll send you the link if you want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

If you are a fan of Mac eyeshadows the pans are considerably cheaper over there now, $6 each vs €10 each here.

Not sure if you are aware but MAC eyeshadow pans are €7 each from Brown Thomas, not €10 - price fell a couple of months back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Not sure if you are aware but MAC eyeshadow pans are €7 each from Brown Thomas, not €10 - price fell a couple of months back :)

Oh really? Great thanks! Didn't know that, I enquired at one of the mac counters back when the price fell in the US if it was going to come down here too but the lady didn't know. That makes them nearly as reasonable as drugstore now, not to mention make up geek pans which have gone up to €6.50 each on Beauty Bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ritamezga wrote: »

I highly recommend depop for selling, it's very user friendly and a trustworthy app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I repurchased Ren Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk, it's a lovely cleanser, my skin feels so soft and clean after using it.
    After being given a sample of Ren V-Cense Youth Vitality Day Cream, I bought a bottle of it. It's steep at €38 but I really like it as a moisturiser, although I really probably should be using something with an spf.
    I received a sample a while back of Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm, it's an eye cream. I've only been using it a few days and I see an improvement in the fine lines at the sides of my eyes. I think I'll purchase this when the sample runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

treated my self to jeffree star liquid lipstick in androgyny I can't wait for it to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Was away and forgot to pack eyeshadow, I know rookie move, only place open was dunnes so picked up a wetnwild trio. Quite impressed really good colours bright and didn't fade all night

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rimmel-London-Perfection-Compact-Classic/dp/B00JDKXGEA
    A friend of mine loves this powder foundation from Rimmel but it's been discontinued. Found a couple of pots of it on Amazon but it's working out very expensive! Has anyone seen it in a shop in the shade Ivory, or does anyone know of a similar powder foundation that's well priced? She's on a budget so under €20 would be great. What she likes about this particular makeup is that it's very creamy compared to other powders so it doesn't settle in her wrinkles (she's 90!)
    Any help appreciated!

dee_mc wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rimmel-London-Perfection-Compact-Classic/dp/B00JDKXGEA
    A friend of mine loves this powder foundation from Rimmel but it's been discontinued. Found a couple of pots of it on Amazon but it's working out very expensive! Has anyone seen it in a shop in the shade Ivory, or does anyone know of a similar powder foundation that's well priced? She's on a budget so under €20 would be great. What she likes about this particular makeup is that it's very creamy compared to other powders so it doesn't settle in her wrinkles (she's 90!)
    Any help appreciated!

I've heard a few raving about NYX powder foundation (Matt but not flat I think it's called), comparing it to Mac. I believe the Siobhan from Letzmakeup is a big fan. She'd be a blogger I'd actually trust so might be worth checking out.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Hopeful, great to have a lead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Has anyone tried Note Cosmetics? I was in a pharmacy yesterday evening buying Christmas presents and seen this new stand, so ya know, had to treat myself like!

I picked up the liquid concealer in the lightest shade Ivory. It was only a fiver but when I compared it to my other concealers at home, there's actually less product in the tube (I think 3mls vs 5/6mls). It's supposed to be full coverage but I found it wasn't as good as my usuals, the Catrice one and an NYX one. Maybe I need to use more of the product but even the doe foot applicator wasn't taking much product from the tube.

Other thing I picked up was the Terracotta powder in the shade warm honey. It's not a setting powder, it's a highlighter and it's a gorgeous honey shade. Nice sheen off it as opposed to many of the highlighters out now which are too glittery looking. I put it at the top of my cheekbones where you normally apply highlighter and it's maybe a little dark for me, might be better suited around the top of my forehead. It would be fab in the summer!

Just noticed that Makeup Geek eyeshadow pans are now €7.40 each from Beauty Bay! I'm gobsmacked. Last time I was browsing at them they were €6.50 and that isn't too long ago. The last time I purchased some was in March 2016 and they were €6.30 each. That's nearly a 17.5% increase in less than 9 months. Will be popping in to MAC instead in future now that their pans are only €7 and no waiting 3 weeks for delivery or else ordering directly from MUG.

Edit to say my last purchase previous to March was November 2015 and they were €6.20 per pan. Nearly a 20% increase in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I was really lucky with an impulse makeup buy today. I bought The Balm ''Meet Matte Hughes'' matte lipstick in Loyal and Adoring, Shwing eyeliner, and eyeshadow (called overshadow) in ''No money, No Honey''. Apart from Mary Lou Manizer which I find too warm, I've never used anything by The Balm. Immediate favourite products! I'm not *that* handy at makeup application and I still got a really nice, polished result with these products.

This brand looks like Benefit with the cartoonish packaging but it seems to be of a much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Was given Champagne Pop as a birthday present last week. Safe to say it lives up to the hype!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Was given Champagne Pop as a birthday present last week. Safe to say it lives up to the hype!

I recently got moon stone and I love it, CP looks amazing but it's definitely too dark for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

GingerLily wrote: »
    I recently got moon stone and I love it, CP looks amazing but it's definitely too dark for me :(

Same! The moon stone is unreal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I finally caved and bought Mac Prolong Wear foundation. I've used it twice now and I'm not feeling the love. Anyone recommend a brush that works well? I've used my fingers and a real techniques brush, fingers seemed to work a little better but I really expected more from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

lazygal wrote: »
    I finally caved and bought Mac Prolong Wear foundation. I've used it twice now and I'm not feeling the love. Anyone recommend a brush that works well? I've used my fingers and a real techniques brush, fingers seemed to work a little better but I really expected more from it.

I love it, it's my all time favourite foundation. I love it applied with a beauty blender. The real techniques one isn't bad either if you don't want to shell out for the original one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

BareMinerals original powder foundation in Light. It's brown on my pale face. My boyfriend has never noticed if I have makeup on before and he leaned over, squinted at my face and said, ''ah, I think you've gone overboard with that brown stuff, whatever it is..'' :(

Advertisement