Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

WhiteRoses wrote:
    Can I ask, for reference, what shade you'd be in mac?? Heading myself in a few weeks and trying to figure out whether it'll work for me or not! Thanks in advance X

I'm 1n1 in estee lauder double wear, which apparently is similar to n1 in mac?
    According to tinternet the palest Milani shade is a match for both of those but it's not the case - I would say try the palest Milani shade but be prepared for it to be too dark/deep/yellow toned.
    The formula is gorgeous, I just don't understand why they have no true pales or darker tones!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

I am looking for a clarifying shampoo that doesn't strip my hair. Any recommendations under 20 euro?

Just back from a holiday in New York, stocked up on a few bits!
    Benefit Gimme Brow - a repurchase, but I'm pretty sure I picked up the wrong shade - I got number 3 whereas the one I've been using in number 1 :( And I'd thrown away the packaging and receipt before I realised. Maybe it will be ok. http://www.sephora.com/gimme-brow-P409239?skuId=1820596&icid2=products%20grid:p409239
    Tarte Tartlette http://www.sephora.com/tartelette-amazonian-clay-matte-eyeshadow-palette-P391759?skuId=1659424&icid2=products%20grid:p391759 as recommended by someone on this thread, thanks again, it's fabulous! I'm no good at applying eyeshadow nicely but this is very easy to work with and more forgiving to the cack-handed among us than shimmer or glitter shades! Perfect for daytime looks.
    Sephora Length and Volume mascara http://www.sephora.com/lashcraft-length-volume-mascara-P408602?skuId=1794478&icid2=products%20grid:p408602 This stuff is brilliant - I picked it up on a whim while in the (ridiculously long!) queue because I'd forgotten to pick up my usual Estee Lauder one, so I wasn't holding out much hope but this is actually better than any other mascara I've tried - I applied it around 8am Thursday morning US time and just removed it now (I know, yuck) and it was still 100% perfect - that's after getting caught in the snow on Thursday, sitting in an overheated airport for several hours and then on an even more overheated plane for 8 hours and crying at the couple of sad scenes in the films I watched on the flight! Easy to remove too. Seriously impressive and not overpriced either. I got the travel size which is only $7.
    Sephora Collection Cleansing Cream Rose - I love products that smell of roses and I'm always looking for a good cleanser to use in the shower so said I'd give this a go. I think it was about $8. It's supposed to be brightening too. It removed my fairly heavy eye makeup easily enough, not leaving even a trace of liquid eyeliner, but it struggled a bit with my foundation. I'm looking forward to using this with the microfibre 'magic' cloth thing I got a few months back.
    Oh and I picked up a new Benefit Sugarbomb blush because my existing one hit pan a long time ago http://www.sephora.com/sugarbomb-box-o-powder-blush-P252916?skuId=1221399&icid2=products%20grid:p252916
    Free decent sized sample tube of Origins GinZing moisturiser with my very first Beauty Insider points (I think I have 64 points left to add to next time I'm there!) - gorgeous moisturiser, really refreshing and brightening. Tried one of their handcreams with ginger in during the week too and it's lovely but I'm useless at remembering to use hand cream so I resisted!
    And in the drugstore, CVS, I got the Milani foundation mentioned earlier in this thread http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeup/face/milani-conceal-perfect-2-in-1-foundation-concealer-prodid-1015371 - it's brilliant, but not for very fair skinned people, even the lightest shade. Their baked bronzers look lovely too but the shade range in the stores I checked wasn't to my taste.
    I got 2 Wet n Wild nail varnishes, one I've had before (Wild Shine in red red, a creamy, opaque red that I love for my toenails) and one I haven't tried (Megalast in I Red a Good Book/Ballon Rouge, a stronger red) - they were marked around $2.25 each, probably similar to what they'd cost here, but scanned at $1 each!
    Finally, spotted Burt's Bees cleansing wipes and liked the packaging :D so grabbed the sensitive facial cleansing towelettes and the eye makeup remover pads, and they are both really lovely. Very soft, smooth, luxurious cloths, and priced around the same as L'Oreal and Simple etc that just don't compare in terms of quality and results. I will be looking for these in Ireland for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Oh that Tarte palette looks gorgeous Dee, I might have to add to my ever-growing list :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Yarghhh wrote: »
    I am looking for a clarifying shampoo that doesn't strip my hair. Any recommendations under 20 euro?

I use treseme deep cleansing shampoo(the bottle with the green writing) Find it great for product build up. Circa €8 a,bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anyone else here with dry blonde hair, what conditioner do you use? Had been using a kerastasse mask as a treatment instead of a conditioner but I think they reformulated it and my hair doesn't get on with it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

So I've been looking for ages for a matt lipstick that actually suited me and didnt make me feel silly and I've finally found it! I bought some things in bare minerals recently and they gave me a sample of their Matte Liquid Lipcolour in shade Swag and its unreal, I'm in love. Its totally comfortable to wear so I'm definitely going to buy it in full size and maybe try another colour too :)

http://www.bareminerals.co.uk/GEN-NUDE-Matte-Liquid-Lipcolour---Swag/UK80909,en_GB,pd.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

So I've been looking for ages for a matt lipstick that actually suited me and didnt make me feel silly and I've finally found it! I bought some things in bare minerals recently and they gave me a sample of their Matte Liquid Lipcolour in shade Swag and its unreal, I'm in love. Its totally comfortable to wear so I'm definitely going to buy it in full size and maybe try another colour too :)

http://www.bareminerals.co.uk/GEN-NUDE-Matte-Liquid-Lipcolour---Swag/UK80909,en_GB,pd.html

Did you try meet matte Hughes by the balm? They have a set of minis for about €25 that are matte and once they dry they don't come off.
    Cloud 10 have 15% off today too!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

In the event any of you are planning on purchasing the new L'Oréal Infallible Total Cover foundation. I would give it a miss, especially if you have dry or dehydrated skin. Thank god I bought it in the boots 2 for €15 offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

In the event any of you are planning on purchasing the new L'Oréal Infallible Total Cover foundation. I would give it a miss, especially if you have dry or dehydrated skin. Thank god I bought it in the boots 2 for €15 offer!

What's it like? I love L'Oreal true match and L'Oreal infallible Matte foundations!

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    What's it like? I love L'Oreal true match and L'Oreal infallible Matte foundations!

Its so thick in consistency and very hard to blend. My skin is dehydrated but I love the matte and that works fine once I prep my skin appropriately. The total cover nothing would work and I did not find the coverage any better than the matte.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Remember it's a mattifying foundation designed for oily skin so it was never targeted at dry or dehydrated skin. I've heard some great feedback on it from a few people so far who would usually use the original infallible matte. ☺

Aeternum wrote: »
    Remember it's a mattifying foundation designed for oily skin so it was never targeted at dry or dehydrated skin. I've heard some great feedback on it from a few people so far who would usually use the original infallible matte. ☺

I use the original matte and I love it, have no issues what's so ever using it but the total cover is a completely different consistency. It also does not give any additional coverage in my humble opinion lol

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I use the original matte and I love it, have no issues what's so ever using it but the total cover is a completely different consistency. It also does not give any additional coverage in my humble opinion lol

I think they're calling this new one an 'ultra matte' one or something- it seems similar in consistency to the 3D correction dermablend. Very thick alright!

Aeternum wrote: »
    I think they're calling this new one an 'ultra matte' one or something- it seems similar in consistency to the 3D correction dermablend. Very thick alright!

It sure is and I would even say it's thicker then the dermablend as I used to use that too before my poor skin got so dehydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BeeMee_123

Can anyone recommend a good pore/nose cream/strips? budget price please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

BeeMee_123 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good pore/nose cream/strips? budget price please :)

Pixi Glow Tonic is great for dealing with pores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Can anyone tell me where I can get Vichy Dermablend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I can get Vichy Dermablend?

I got the total body foundation in Boots before. Looking at their site they do the face foundation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I bought Rimmel Provocolips in the shade "I'll Call You" yesterday. It promises to last 16 hours, so I gave it a go today.

In the picture attached (not my lips!), it looks pink but it's more a plummy pink in reality.
    Anyway, you apply the lipstick first, let it dry a second or two and then apply the moisturising balm.

I really liked the colour but after a few hours it did feel drying so I had to reapply the balm a few times, but doing that actually rejuvenates the colour so it looks like you just applied it.

Once you've reapplied the balm, your lips will feel soft again, but without that I think the product is too drying to put up with.
    It did last all day but the colour does start to fade a bit after a day of wearing it.

Overall I'm happy with it and think this would be the perfect lippy to wear for a wedding or any other event where you can't be reapplying every half an hour!

651gus.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

fussyonion wrote: »
    I bought Rimmel Provocolips in the shade "I'll Call You" yesterday. It promises to last 16 hours, so I gave it a go today.

In the picture attached (not my lips!), it looks pink but it's more a plummy pink in reality.
    Anyway, you apply the lipstick first, let it dry a second or two and then apply the moisturising balm.

I really liked the colour but after a few hours it did feel drying so I had to reapply the balm a few times, but doing that actually rejuvenates the colour so it looks like you just applied it.

Once you've reapplied the balm, your lips will feel soft again, but without that I think the product is too drying to put up with.
    It did last all day but the colour does start to fade a bit after a day of wearing it.

Overall I'm happy with it and think this would be the perfect lippy to wear for a wedding or any other event where you can't be reapplying every half an hour!

651gus.jpg

I always use that brand it really does last hours I've used all the colours with the exception of the really light pink one it'd brilliant once you apply with a lip liner to exfoliated lips. Make sure to let it dry before the sealer I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Had a voucher so went in to debenhams for a mosey around. Decided to pick up the urban decay ultimate basics palette as its been on my list for a few months but seemed expensive at €47. They had one in the 'damaged section' that had a sticker saying the black eyeshadow was completely missing and it was marked down 20%. I've a rake of black eye shadows in all my other naked palettes that I've never used so figured this would be a good way to save some penny's. Then when I went to pay I had €5 to use on my debenhams card. Altogether it cost me €32.60

And best of all, when I opened the box when I got home the whole palette is perfect, no shadows missing at all! Delighted!

Also picked up the set of 6 mini liquid lipsticks from The Balm. Have never tried anything from the brand before but the colours look like stuff I'll wear and I do love a long lasting bright colour on my lips. Be interesting to see if they live up to hype.

I picked up my first ever Beauty Blender in the States the other week and finally tried it out this morning. Child with a new toy. Blown away by it! I thought it was quite overpriced for a sponge but I get it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

fussyonion wrote: »

I use this all the time as well. Love it. It's very drying, though and I need to put on a balm or something after wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Just ordered the Creme de Mere box on glossybox. Want to see why the stuff is so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Miaireland wrote: »
    Just ordered the Creme de Mere box on glossybox. Want to see why the stuff is so expensive

Sold out already! Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Miaireland wrote: »

I'm very jealous but also happy because there's no way I could afford that habit, I really am a "makeup and skincare" junkie, need to limit my exposure to addictive products outside my price range!

Speaking of, has anyone got a dupe for the Becca backlighting primer? I love wearing it under makeup and on its own but I can't afford to keep using it every day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Fussy onion, try a lip primer under it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Will do Lexie because other than the drying, it's a fab product and I do love how long it lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Lads, has anyone used the Clarisonic Plus Sonic skin cleansing for face and body? Would you recommend it? I could get one from a friend but don't want to buy it (its brand new) if its not worth it. It has the sensitive brush head.

I have another face cleansing brush that I got in TK Maxx for about €15, but its not great to be honest, I just don't feel like my face is clean with it. It's very soft, its softer than a babies toothbrush.

I have very dry skin and plenty of flaking around my nose, and my skin looks dull, so I wonder would the Clarisonic help with the flaking and dullness?

Would appreciate any help at all with this.

I was recently given a small size of this to try by a friend and found it great, would love to repurchase but cannot find it anywhere online in Ireland/UK to buy. :(

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/estee-lauder-soft-clean-moisture-rich-foaming-cleanser/2839018

It left my face feeling soft and clean, it smelled nice too.

Advertisement