Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

fifi28 wrote: »
    Few new purchases....
    Mac pro longwear foundation and concealer - loving both, i got nw15 in the foundation and really like the colour. Ive been using doublewear up to now and mixing two shades to get the colour i wanted but couldnt justify the 80 quid to replace both so delighted i got a nice shade in mac and really like the finish of the foundation. The concealer is also fab!

Mac skin finish natural in shade light plus - i dont usually set my face with powder but this is really a lovely finishing powder, sits lovely on the skin and not at all powdery looking

Laura Mercier secret brightening powder for under eye - oh my god why did i not know about this sooner!!!! I usually set my under eye with a loose powder (using no7 translucent up to now) and I was never happy with how dry my under eye looked and how it accentuated my fine lines but this stuff is just magic! Just gives a perfect finish and you only need to use the tiniest amount. If I dont set my concealer my mascara/eyeliner usually ends up smudged under my eyes after a couple of hours!

When I went to harvey nics to buy the Laura Mercier I spotted her candleglow finishing powder and I went back and bought it today oops :), havnt used it yet but I did swatch it and it seems so sheer and soft

Is the Laura Mercier powder that good. I've been looking at it very tempting to buy reading reviews on it. Is it worth it. I spent a fortune in Mac yesterday but I'm also looking at this.

I'll be back later to report on what I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Is the Laura Mercier powder that good. I've been looking at it very tempting to buy reading reviews on it. Is it worth it. I spent a fortune in Mac yesterday but I'm also looking at this.

I'll be back later to report on what I bought.

Yep in my opinion it's definitely worth it. I didnt buy it for the brightening aspect and im not sure if it actually does brighten - i dont really have darkness under my eyes. It does set the concealer so nice and smoothly and blurs the fine lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Hey All

First I just wanted to post a short PSA on pore strips/peel off masks and "shrinking" and "opening" your pores.

First of all pore strips and peel of masks such as the black masks that are popular on social media dont actually remove blackheads. At most they remove sebasceous fillaments and hairs, the only proven way to remove blackheads is with a BHA such as salacilyc acid at a proper Ph.
    Furthermore, these masks and pore strips can actually cause permanent damage to your skon such as broken capillaries which can only be removed by costly laser threatments.
    Here's an article:
    http://www.beautifulwithbrains.com/dont-use-pore-strips/
    Personally I think they are okay to use every once in a long while...as long as you're careful. But just to throw it out there.

In regards to steam to open pores and cold to close them this is a myth as your pores lack the muscles that would allow such movement and must remain open at all times to allow for the excretion of sweat etc. The reason why pores may appear larger can be due to sweat, clogs etc...

https://www.realself.com/article/10-common-skin-care-myths-costing-money

Sorry for not providing many articles, I have been into skincare since my adolescent years and it is so much reading its hard to summarize.

Now for the review...

I got one of the Nyx matte liquid lippies and I am in Love! I got it a while ago actually (a few weeks) but I wanted to try it first. I got the shade Sao Paulo and it is such a gorgeous shade, the finish is very matte but it doesn't feel uncomfortable or sink into my lip lines. Also it fades a little at the centre after eating but this is a minor set back for me as its cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I bought lipsticks in Butterfly kisses and Koca Kola from Fuschia makeup and their moisture complex foundation. I'm not impressed at all, the foundation oxidised badly and was hard to blend gave little coverage despite being a thick consistency I found it to be very uncomfortable and I couldnt wait to get home and wash my face. It was also really pink toned when I applied it, it didnt look so intense in the bottle, I usually go for pink/neutral toned foundations but this was a bit OTT.

The lipsticks are very drying, patchy and seem to be cheaply made, they were very uncomfortable. Ive got essence, Catrice and Rimmel lipsticks that are much better quality and cost much less, given the price of Fuschia makeup I really expected more from this brand. I'm not getting the hype around Fuschia at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Anyone been to the Kat Von D in debenhams yet?! I'm impatiently waiting for payday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Anyone been to the Kat Von D in debenhams yet?! I'm impatiently waiting for payday :D

It's in now???:eek: Exciting!! Is it in all Debenhams stores? Newbridge is closest to me so would be great if it was.

RosyLily wrote: »
    It's in now???:eek: Exciting!! Is it in all Debenhams stores? Newbridge is closest to me so would be great if it was.

Just Henry street in Dublin at the moment! It's also somewhere in Belfast and in cork. Sorry if I got you all excited for nothing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have a few Benefit products but for some reason I tend not to stick with them, I don't find myself reaching for them. I have Benetint and High Beam in the back of the drawer. Picked up a tin with various blushes but don't find myself reaching for it as the tin is awkward. Only product I would use a bit is Porefessional but that's my "good" primer cos it's bloody expensive.

Picked up Galifornia about 3 weeks ago and literally have not used another blush since! Love the smell of it, it smells like holidays. A light hand with a domed brush gives a lovely sweep of colour. Although I've been using an angled brush this week and it's giving a heavier handed colour.
    Have even used it as an eyeshadow at the weekend.

Only thing I bought it in duty free so it was a bit cheaper but I completed forgot I had Boots points and could have got it with those instead!

Since Essence changed the formula and colour of their eyeshadow base, I've struggled to find a (budget friendly) alternative. Catrice was recommended to me, but it was only ok. It did make my shadows stay longer but it gave my lids no coverage and I would have pigmented lids. It also felt a bit greasy and needed to be set with powder or a neutral shadow before starting on my eye colours.

But I picked up Wet n Wild eye primer in Dunnes one day and gave it a go. It is much better than the Catrice one. It gives a matte base to work on. I do find that if I use slightly too much, it makes my eye area feel kinda tight. But eyeshadows, even cheap ones last really well with it.

I am still tempted with Urban Decay's eye primer but not sure I want to fork out that much on an eye primer!

http://www.wetnwildbeauty.com/eyes/primer/photo-focustm-eyeshadow-primer.html#sm.001w68i1n15xpfqcvrh208qpg8px0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Since Essence changed the formula and colour of their eyeshadow base, I've struggled to find a (budget friendly) alternative. Catrice was recommended to me, but it was only ok. It did make my shadows stay longer but it gave my lids no coverage and I would have pigmented lids. It also felt a bit greasy and needed to be set with powder or a neutral shadow before starting on my eye colours.

But I picked up Wet n Wild eye primer in Dunnes one day and gave it a go. It is much better than the Catrice one. It gives a matte base to work on. I do find that if I use slightly too much, it makes my eye area feel kinda tight. But eyeshadows, even cheap ones last really well with it.

I am still tempted with Urban Decay's eye primer but not sure I want to fork out that much on an eye primer!

http://www.wetnwildbeauty.com/eyes/primer/photo-focustm-eyeshadow-primer.html#sm.001w68i1n15xpfqcvrh208qpg8px0

I think the urban decay one is really worth the money ,, I have the travel size one. Still going 6 months on a tiny bit goes a long way.

Interesting with the wet n wild one might give it a go when my urban decay is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I love mac paint pots for eye priming, prefer it to my Urban Decay!

GingerLily wrote: »
    I love mac paint pots for eye priming, prefer it to my Urban Decay!
    I've heard they're great.
    But apparently there's a Maybelline dupe for painterly paint pot. I want to try that first before even considering Mac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Picked up Kat Von D Lovecraft in Debenhams.

katvond_lovecraft001.jpg

They were baffled that I didn't want a wristband to meet Kat. I've no real interest in meeting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Did everyone see Rebeluna have a sale on where their eyelashes are €10 instead of €15? Picked myself up two pairs cant wait for them to come!

I have one pair from them already which I've worn about 6/7 times and they're still going strong so definitely think they're worth the money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Just Henry street in Dublin at the moment! It's also somewhere in Belfast and in cork. Sorry if I got you all excited for nothing :o

I'm devastated now!!:pac:

I'll just have to head to Dublin for the day. I haven't bought make-up in aaaages (i.e. 3 weeks) so I'll treat myself. Have 2 weddings coming up...need to restock.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I was in Henry St yesterday- they've a HUGE section for KVD- I'd say it's bigger than UD definitely :) Got a wristband and bought an Everlasting Lipstick in 'Mother' (4th ELL I love them) and a top up foundation- I still think it's the best full coverage I've used :D

Is Kat Von D makeup any good? I've never really paid any attention to it before, heard mentions of a good eyeliner and then the controversy last week about her palette and a Make Up Revolution one.
    Some people I follow on Instgram were practically losing their lives over her yesterday!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Is Kat Von D makeup any good? I've never really paid any attention to it before, heard mentions of a good eyeliner and then the controversy last week about her palette and a Make Up Revolution one.
    Some people I follow on Instgram were practically losing their lives over her yesterday!

Her tattoo liner is excellent, very easy to use. The beautiful truth strongly recommends it but does say that it could be a tad blacker.

I have her contour palette and I adore it. Suits my ghostly face perfectly and any shades that are too dark you can use as eyeshadows!

I got an everlasting liquid lipstick in Lolita and it's beautiful. So wearable, not drying on the lips and it didn't budge after eating dinner either!

I had the foundation put on me yesterday in light 46 cool which is too dark for me so I bought a shade down today. Hopefully it's a good match because it's a lovely foundation, doesn't feel thick or cakey at all (I've seen some people complain about it in that regard) and the coverage was excellent.

It would definitely be worth popping in to the counter and having a look, IMO :) I will say though that I've loved Kat since I was about 10 and I'm trying to go totally cruelty free with my make up purchases so I was always going to be super enthusiastic about her stuff :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

New MAC lipstick, Viva Glam X Taraji P. Henson. Loooove this colour.

mac_viva-glam-taraji-p.-henson_004_lipswatch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Valentina wrote: »
    New MAC lipstick, Viva Glam X Taraji P. Henson. Loooove this colour.

mac_viva-glam-taraji-p.-henson_004_lipswatch.jpg

Me too! Been thinking about it for ages so I'm glad I picked it up. Also replaced my modesty lipstick which I lost a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

It's gorgeous! I wore it all day today and only had to reapply once. I'm considering the matching gloss next. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Got this be-yooo-tiful Benefit blush and bronzer palette the other day as a payday treat. I love it!

tumblr_o4ylcxWFRX1sr37qvo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Got this be-yooo-tiful Benefit blush and bronzer palette the other day as a payday treat. I love it!

tumblr_o4ylcxWFRX1sr37qvo1_1280.jpg

I've ordered it too. Dying to try the Hoola Lite shade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Where did you get it? Its fabulous facebook-comments-emoticon-with-heart-eyes.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Where did you get it? Its fabulous facebook-comments-emoticon-with-heart-eyes.png

Debenhams, I think it was €63. An awful lot of money for me, but d'you know what - returning to work after two years on illness benefit, due to mental health issues, I well deserve it! A bit of prettiness and happiness in my everyday life. :) It's all about self-care!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ymckenna

Treated myself to the Kat von dee foundation...not sure how I feel! Coverage is amazing, colour match is perfect and I like it when it's on first, but after a couple of hours goes kind of chalky on me, really strange! Will have to try with diff powders and primers and see if it makes a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I picked up the Kat Von D Lock It Setting powder, and love it. It's a translucent powder, and is in no way chalky like other powders I have tried in the past.
    It hasn't dried out my skin, and almost leaves my skin with a dewy glow. I have very sensitive skin and it hasn't reacted to this either.
    In other words, I love the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Was on the look out for a good conditioner for ages as my hair had pretty much given up and succommed to never ending dryness. Read a review somewhere about Kiehls Amino Acids conditioner. Ordered it and used it last night, it's amazing. Hair actually sucked it in and felt so soft the minute it went on. Right now I am stroking it and it actually feels like glass it's so soft.

If you have hair like me that needs deep nourishment but you find masks too heavy and leave a layer after then I'd 100% recommend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Treated myself to a Charlotte Tilbury lipstick in Penelope Pink and Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base yesterday. Im not usually a fan of Charlotte Tilbury, her wonderglow primer was useless and her Magic foundation was the worst ive ever used, I practically begged the lady in brown thomas to give me a refund which she was kind enough to do but Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks are amazing, best lipsticks ive ever used and Penelope Pink did not disappoint, its really pigmented but subtle at the same time, its long lasting and not drying at all, its so comfortable.
    Chanels bronzing makeup base is so gorgeous, im very very pale and never tan so this gives a really nice healthy subtle glow to my skin, adds some warmth without looking orange or fake and a little goes a long way, I barely touched the product and had enough on my brush to cover my entire face so although its pricey it will last a really long time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Orlamor

Hi there, currently in the midst of a marketing project as part of my thesis for my Masters where we are gathering thoughts and attitudes from those who purchase premium skincare / organic skin care brands and products between the ages of 27-50. It would involve a 30 minute 'interview' and getting your thoughts on a new start up brand that will hit the Irish market . Anyone interested in helping a few students out in exchange for a small goodie bag of this start up brand? Or have suggestions on a good way of finding people who fit this description who would partake? Thanks!

Advertisement