Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

Happy to help out send me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Orlamor wrote: »
    Hi there, currently in the midst of a marketing project as part of my thesis for my Masters where we are gathering thoughts and attitudes from those who purchase premium skincare / organic skin care brands and products between the ages of 27-50. It would involve a 30 minute 'interview' and getting your thoughts on a new start up brand that will hit the Irish market . Anyone interested in helping a few students out in exchange for a small goodie bag of this start up brand? Or have suggestions on a good way of finding people who fit this description who would partake? Thanks!

Hi, I would love to be included!

Please PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Orlamor wrote: »
    Hi there, currently in the midst of a marketing project as part of my thesis for my Masters where we are gathering thoughts and attitudes from those who purchase premium skincare / organic skin care brands and products between the ages of 27-50. It would involve a 30 minute 'interview' and getting your thoughts on a new start up brand that will hit the Irish market . Anyone interested in helping a few students out in exchange for a small goodie bag of this start up brand? Or have suggestions on a good way of finding people who fit this description who would partake? Thanks!

Hi id like to be included also

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BlondeLou

Debenhams was crazy over the weekend with Kat Von D.

Any recommendations when it's all died down?

Not familiar with the brand really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

BlondeLou wrote: »
    Debenhams was crazy over the weekend with Kat Von D.

Any recommendations when it's all died down?

Not familiar with the brand really.

I haven't tried much but I highly recommend the tattoo liner and the liquid lipsticks. The liner in particular is the best I've ever used, very user friendly and I prefer it to similar products I have from inglot and Mac. I'll be repurchasing this for sure.

The shade and light pallet is also divine, beautiful ashy cool contour colours that aren't at all dirty looking or warm toned like most contour shades in other brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 PinkSpark

After 3 days of using the inglot HD cover up foundation it's gone in the bin. It just made my skin look awful and cakey it didn't cover my redness and it didn't blend very well at all.

On the bright side I also picked up the Bourjois Healthy Serum Mix foundation and so far so good it gives my skin a lovely glow has great coverage and and isn't too heavy.

Also want to give a shout out for the No. 7 micellar cleansing water. I'm on my second bottle of it and really impressed. It just melts the makeup off and leaves your skin so soft!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Does anyone know if Kat Von D is stocked in Blanchardstown?

Going to be in the shopping centre Saturday & I've no idea what brands are stocked in any of the shops, so I'd love some recommendations if anyone has any? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

PinkSpark wrote: »
    On the bright side I also picked up the Bourjois Healthy Serum Mix foundation and so far so good it gives my skin a lovely glow has great coverage and and isn't too heavy.

I've been using this lately too and impressed with it for the price.

Got the Sculpted by Aimee palette, christ its muck. The bronzer just looks like dirt on my face and the highlighters arent great. Have a cheaper highlighter that is miles better. Very disappointing for the price.

Got the Sculpted by Aimee palette, christ its muck. The bronzer just looks like dirt on my face and the highlighters arent great. Have a cheaper highlighter that is miles better. Very disappointing for the price.[/quote]

Good to know thanks! I have seen so many people gushing about how fab the palette is but it's all been from other bloggers/makeup artists that know that girl Aimee so I was a bit wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

I purchased the hourglass veil primer and vanish stick and will pick them up in Dublin on Sunday. Please tell me it was worth spending my funds on lol

• Advertisement

toadfly wrote: »

Got the Sculpted by Aimee palette, christ its muck. The bronzer just looks like dirt on my face and the highlighters arent great. Have a cheaper highlighter that is miles better. Very disappointing for the price.

I bought it as well and used it for the first time today. I didn't mind the bronzer too much but the powder highlight seems to have chunks of glitter. I used the brush that came with it so will use my fan brush and contour brush before I write a full review.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

toadfly wrote: »

I got it too. Mine had a big finger smudge in the cream highlighter. I don't like it at all. Muck is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I bought it as well and used it for the first time today. I didn't mind the bronzer too much but the powder highlight seems to have chunks of glitter. I used the brush that came with it so will use my fan brush and contour brush before I write a full review.

I bought the sculpted by Aimee brush on its own, love it!!

For those asking about Kat von D the setting powder is very good. Lasts forever too!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I purchased the hourglass veil primer and vanish stick and will pick them up in Dublin on Sunday. Please tell me it was worth spending my funds on lol

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

idunno78 wrote: »

It better be good thoughts at that price lol!

Off topic slightly but if any of you are interested in blogger discussion, we have requested for a new forum for social media and blogger discussion over in forum requests. If you add +1 it'll add traction and give the suggestion more feasibility.

For some reason it won't let me post the link, but it's over in forum requests.

anna080 wrote: »
    Off topic slightly but if any of you are interested in blogger discussion, we have requested for a new forum for social media and blogger discussion over in forum requests. If you add +1 it'll add traction and give the suggestion more feasibility.

For some reason it won't let me post the link, but it's over in forum requests.

Done already!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I needed a new foundation because I don't like wearing Double Wear in summer but I still like good coverage.
    Asked for a recommendation in Boots and the girl suggested L'Oréal infallible total cover. I thought she was raving when she chose the shade for me because it looked very dark in the tube and even on the skin, but it blended to an exact skin tone match. It looked a bit patchy when she put it on my face but I said I'd give it the benefit of the doubt because it was several hours since I'd moisturised, and she used very very little product but the coverage was decent, and mainly because it's under €12!
    Applied it yesterday with a brush, as recommended, and achieved better coverage though it looked a bit cakey in places. It lasted really well though but took longer to apply and used more product than I'd like.
    Applied it this morning with beauty blender and I'm very, very happy with the result! Lovely natural look, perfect coverage on redness and red marks/dryness from the remains of spots (charming stuff), no creasing under the eyes and it's even survived the odd rub of a tissue around the nose.
    Don't be put off by the colour of each shade in the tube, it bears no resemblance to the shade once it's applied to the skin.
    Currently 3 for 2 in Boots (all L'Oréal) so I might grab another couple of tubes and a mascara.
    Any recommendations for a nice L'Oréal mascara that's smudge proof (though not waterproof)?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Decided to treat myself to the Benefit cheek parade bronze and blush palette. I wasnt that interested til I seen it in the flesh the other day, great value as all products are full size and would be 34euro each but the whole palette costs 63euro!
    Also picked up the new mac foundation - Next to Nothing and the matching powder. Im not usually one for wearing very sheer foundation but this is just gorgeous and will be perfect for summer! It is sheer but still gives coverage and evens out my skin and gives a gorgeous healthy looking sheen but not shiney! The foundation was 32euro and the powder 26.50euro, theres only 9 shades and I bought the lightest which is called light as I have been wearing nw15 in the pro longwear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

dee_mc wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a nice L'Oréal mascara that's smudge proof (though not waterproof)?

I love this mascara. I have raved about it here before and have been repurchasing it for about a year now. It really separates and curls my stubborn straight lashes.

http://www.boots.ie/beauty/makeup/eyes/mascara/loreal-paris-volume-million-lashes-feline-mascara-10200877

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I recently purchased a Mac mascara (haute and naughty) and although I think it's fab, I think I have a sensitivity to it.
    The first couple of times I wore it, my eyes watered slightly and were itchy. I blamed other factors and didn't blame the mascara.
    However I wore it twice during the week, both times my eyes were absolutely streaming, itchy, irritated and bloodshot for a day or two after it.

I've never had a reaction to mascara before and wouldn't have particularly sensitive eyes or skin, but the only common denominator in all these episodes of eye watering is this mascara.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm gutted cause I only got to use it a few times and it's really good!

I'm allergic to Mac mascara also! And their eyeliner. I can use any other mascara under the sun but Mac one. So unsual.
    I'd be prone enough to having allergic reactions to skincare but never mascara.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I recently purchased a Mac mascara (haute and naughty) and although I think it's fab, I think I have a sensitivity to it.
    The first couple of times I wore it, my eyes watered slightly and were itchy. I blamed other factors and didn't blame the mascara.
    However I wore it twice during the week, both times my eyes were absolutely streaming, itchy, irritated and bloodshot for a day or two after it.

I've never had a reaction to mascara before and wouldn't have particularly sensitive eyes or skin, but the only common denominator in all these episodes of eye watering is this mascara.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm gutted cause I only got to use it a few times and it's really good!

Not the same mascara but I got the in extreme dimension one included in the look in a box that I bought a few wks back, first time I used it was fine but second time I literally had to grab cotton pads with makeup remover and wipe my whole eye makeup off. Literally seconds after I applied it my eyes started streaming and it was like the mascara had run into my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Any reccomendations for a budget foundation with decent coverage? Just for days during the week where I need more than powder foundation ... not L'Oréal cause they're not cruelty free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Any reccomendations for a budget foundation with decent coverage? Just for days during the week where I need more than powder foundation ... not L'Oréal cause they're not cruelty free

I'm a big fan of the catrice hd foundation. A couple of drops does my full face and the staying power is fantastic for the price (€8 approx) only drawback it only comes in 4 colours. I'm super pale and the lightest shade is perfect for me.

Actually most of catrice foundations are really pretty decent.
    And cruelty free to the best of my knowledge.

The bourgois healthy mix foundation and the serum foundation are really good they give good coverage but don't feel really heavy on the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I like No7. They're not exactly 'budget' but theyre kind of a middle ground between budget and high end - plus they're cruelty free and hypoallergenic. I usually wait until the vouchers are out or three for two is on and it doesn't work out much more than L'Oréal! About €15/16 I think!

Very few budget brands are cruelty free - you could check out NYX who are cruelty free but they're owned by L'Oréal so a bit of a grey area for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

All cosmetics sold in the EU are cruelty free by law. I don't know whose pr is saying otherwise but they are good.

If the problem is brands that allow testing on animals in other countries or that have parent brands that own such companies you might as well give up wearing make up. Almost every company feeds into testing at some point unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

PinkSpark wrote: »
    The bourgois healthy mix foundation and the serum foundation are really good they give good coverage but don't feel really heavy on the skin.

Unfortunately, these are owned by Chanel so are not cruelty free. :(
    All cosmetics sold in the EU are cruelty free by law. I don't know whose pr is saying otherwise but they are good.

If the problem is brands that allow testing on animals in other countries or that have parent brands that own such companies you might as well give up wearing make up. Almost every company feeds into testing at some point unfortunately.

I only support brands that are cruelty free and not owned by parent companies who test on animals such as L'Oreal (one of the very worst offenders - NYX, Maybeline, Urban Decay), Coty (Rimmel), Estee Lauder (Bobbi Brown, Too Faced), Elizabeth Arden, etc.

It's really not that difficult to avoid such companies, with just a little bit of research.

For me, it's simply unacceptable that any animal would suffer just so I can have longer lashes or coloured lips!

I have a makeup room full of excellent products that have not caused any suffering.

Historically, most ingredients will have been tested, but thankfully, many many 'older' companies have developed a conscience and operate a FCOD from the 1990s.

Others are relatively new on the scene and have a cruelty free philosophy from the getgo, e.g. Colourpop, Barry M, Soap & Glory, Anatasia Beverly Hills, Kat Von D, Sleek, Catrice, Essence, ELF, Wet & Wild, and so on.

I also avoid Unilever, Proctor & Gamble, and similar companies, and try to buy my household products, toothpastes, deodorants, etc., from cruelty free brands.

(iHerb is great for these!) :)

If anyone is interested in going cruelty free, please feel free to PM if I can help. :o

Advertisement