Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Any reccomendations for a budget foundation with decent coverage? Just for days during the week where I need more than powder foundation ... not L'Oréal cause they're not cruelty free
    La.de.da wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the catrice hd foundation. A couple of drops does my full face and the staying power is fantastic for the price (€8 approx) only drawback it only comes in 4 colours. I'm super pale and the lightest shade is perfect for me.

Actually most of catrice foundations are really pretty decent.
    And cruelty free to the best of my knowledge.

100% agree that the Catrice foundations are superb!

This one is my favourite;

http://www.catrice.eu/en/complexion/make-up/foundation/catrice-cosmetics/velvet-finish-foundation-with-hyaluron-010.html

My daughter loves Essence, particularly the Camoflage one.

There is a new Wet & Wild foundation (Photo Focus) available in Dunnes Stores which is getting rave reviews from USA, UK, and Irish b/vloggers including DramaticMac.

I'm dying to try it!

http://www.wetnwildbeauty.com/photo-focus-foundation.html

I also forgot to mention Milani and Jordana are fab cruelty free budget brands.

Milani's latest foundation is supposed to be fab.

http://milanicosmetics.eu/en/foundation/141-milani-perfect-2-in-1-foundationconcealer.html#/5435-mpcf-mpcf_00_light_natural

This concealer is also getting outstanding reviews;

http://milanicosmetics.eu/en/concealer/246-milani-retouch-erase-light-lifting-concealer.html

Hope you find something that works for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 msdc

Hi,
    Long time follower first time poster.  I'm going to Inglot today and I'm looking for recommedations on what to buy?  I'm planning on spending a bit!  TIA:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

msdc wrote: »
    Hi,
    Long time follower first time poster.  I'm going to Inglot today and I'm looking for recommedations on what to buy?  I'm planning on spending a bit!  TIA:)

Stay away from the HD foundation, it's awful. Pretty sure others in this thread have said the same!

Their eyeshadows get rave reviews, as does the gel eyeliner. I think their lipsticks are meant to be good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 msdc

Thanks!  I've heard a few complaints about the foundation also.  I'm a bit of a makeup magnet so i want to have a bit of a list made up so i can make myself stick to it! :happy:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Was sorting out lipsticks last week and came across one I bought ages ago in Penneys. It's one of their matte lipsticks, in a black square-ish casing with the useless lipgloss tub at the bottom. I had the shade Screen star, it looked red in the bullet but was a bit more pinky on the lips. Very wearable IMO.

It said it was matte but it felt creamy on the lips. Lasting power was fab, put it on just before 9am, had a few cups of tea, a pint of water and a bun. Got home at 3:30 and while it had faded, it worn evenly and there was still a good tint of colour on the lips. It didn't feel hard or flakey on the lip.

One problem - before I left for work I went to put an extra bit on the middle of the lips, the colour does take a bit of building up. And the lipstick bullet came flying out when I pulled the lid off and rolled across the bathroom floor in behind the toilet bowl - yuk!!
    Went into Penneys at the weekend and they don't have that shade anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Picked up the Make Up Revolution Iconic Pro 1 and 2 eye palettes the other week. I'd never used the brand before and they were only 9 quid each so I wasn't expecting much but I've been really pleasantly surprised. The pigmentation is great and there's no fallout.

I'm very impressed, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Picked up the Make Up Revolution Iconic Pro 1 and 2 eye palettes the other week. I'd never used the brand before and they were only 9 quid each so I wasn't expecting much but I've been really pleasantly surprised. The pigmentation is great and there's no fallout.

Same here, I got the New-trals Vs. Neutrals palette recently, my first time trying the brand out and I really like it. Better quality than the Sleek palettes I've been using. I still can't bring myself to splash out on a high end brand for eyeshadow, although I do have a Debenhams voucher burning a hole in my pocket :p

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

Dial Hard wrote: »

I never understand why people give out about MUR. For the price you cannot go wrong. I have loads of their palettes!

I never understand why people give out about MUR. For the price you cannot go wrong. I have loads of their palettes!
    Agreed. I didn't like their Iconic palettes, they were supposed to be similar to the Naked 1, 2 and 3 palettes but I thought the quality was poor and packaging very cheap and flimsy. But I have most of the chocolate bar palettes, they are great.

• Advertisement

keredern wrote: »
    There is a new Wet & Wild foundation (Photo Focus) available in Dunnes Stores which is getting rave reviews from USA, UK, and Irish b/vloggers including DramaticMac.

I'm dying to try it!

http://www.wetnwildbeauty.com/photo-focus-foundation.html
    I picked this up a week or two ago in Dunnes. It is a shade too dark for me as the stand was (as usual) poorly stocked. Haven't really made up my mind up yet about it. I don't like the spatula in the foundation though, would prefer a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I picked this up a week or two ago in Dunnes. It is a shade too dark for me as the stand was (as usual) poorly stocked. Haven't really made up my mind up yet about it. I don't like the spatula in the foundation though, would prefer a pump.

I got it too! At the minute its only limited edition but in May it will be added to their full range so hopefully they will add more shades as in the states there is a big selection.

I am in agreement about the applicator and I don't like the smell. I have only worn it once so need to give it a good run this week before I make up my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Valentina wrote: »
    I love this mascara. I have raved about it here before and have been repurchasing it for about a year now. It really separates and curls my stubborn straight lashes.

http://www.boots.ie/beauty/makeup/eyes/mascara/loreal-paris-volume-million-lashes-feline-mascara-10200877

Thanks for the recommendation, tried it yesterday and I really like it! Used two coats for the craic and it was waaaay too dramatic for a day at work but hey, there's no such thing as being too fabulous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

LVL lashes! Got them third time a week ago! I love them! Tried the yumi lashes. It didn't like them. Don't know was it the application or just the brand on gereral but it didn't work anywhere close to the LVL! With the right mascara they look like I've fake lashes on!

Has anyone here tried both the image hydralonic serum and the ordinary one? How to they compare? Would be so good to be able use the ordinary one instead! Save a lot of €€

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I picked up Palmer's cocoa butter natural bronze body lotion, im really pale and dont use fake tan, it always looks orange and streaky on me but this is lovely, really natural and gave a good even tan after the first application it slightly smells like biscuits but not as strong as Johnsons tan body lotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

idunno78 wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried both the image hydralonic serum and the ordinary one? How to they compare? Would be so good to be able use the ordinary one instead! Save a lot of €€
    I started with the Pestle and Mortar one so not exactly the same but now I'm using The Ordinary range including the hydralonic serum and I can highly recommend everything I'm using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

lazygal wrote: »
    I started with the Pestle and Mortar one so not exactly the same but now I'm using The Ordinary range including the hydralonic serum and I can highly recommend everything I'm using.

I also recently bought some things from the Ordinary including the HA and I'm really happy with everything. I think my skin is noticably less red and more even since I started using their products. I havent used the Image HA but I do have a number of Image products that I've used for years, and I still use their cleanser and SPF moisturizer in conjusction wtih my products from the Ordinary - Image is still very good but when you compaire prices etc, the Ordinary is hard to beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

idunno78 wrote: »
    LVL lashes! Got them third time a week ago! I love them! Tried the yumi lashes. It didn't like them. Don't know was it the application or just the brand on gereral but it didn't work anywhere close to the LVL! With the right mascara they look like I've fake lashes on!

I had been getting LVL lashes for about 3 years. Don't know what has happened but the last two times it has not worked for me.
    I said it to the beautician who did it again for me but even she can't explain it. Really miss not having it done. Saved a few minutes in the morn when I didn't need to curl and apply mascara.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

fifi28 wrote: »
    Decided to treat myself to the Benefit cheek parade bronze and blush palette. I wasnt that interested til I seen it in the flesh the other day, great value as all products are full size and would be 34euro each but the whole palette costs 63euro!
    Also picked up the new mac foundation - Next to Nothing and the matching powder. Im not usually one for wearing very sheer foundation but this is just gorgeous and will be perfect for summer! It is sheer but still gives coverage and evens out my skin and gives a gorgeous healthy looking sheen but not shiney! The foundation was 32euro and the powder 26.50euro, theres only 9 shades and I bought the lightest which is called light as I have been wearing nw15 in the pro longwear

What's your verdict on the Benefit cheek parade? I actually bought it the day it came out on Cloud10 Beauty and then I was waiting for delivery and no sign, I'm not sure but I'm half thinking now the order didn't go through - maybe it's a sign for me to stop buying makeup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Howayiz,

So a few weeks ago I recommended the Inglot gel eyeliner pot and just wanted to follow up on my review, and put a question to ye.

- Inglot Gel Eyeliner Review
    Colour wise, it's one of the best blacks I've ever used. Way sharper than the Bobbi Brown one i've been using.
    However, the staying power was woeful. When I laugh, I frequently weep (the best of all the tears). But the eyeliner would stream down my face and when dried, look completely pish.

- Primer Question
    I bought a Benefit Porefessional on eBay that turned out to be fake. Now in a surprise turn of events, it was waaaaay better than the real Porefessional! When I bought the real one at the airport I was massively disappointed that it did not have the clearing and mattifying effect the fake had! I can't wear it without foundation as it doesn't cover my pores, and I have very oily skin that looks oily come 11am.

So, can does anyone have any recommendations that colour-wise would be similar to the Porefessional, but far more mattifying?

Hiya, I was recently told to get the Boots No 7 Airbrush Away Pore Minimising primer as a dupe for the Benefit Porefessional. It's €22.50 so a bit cheaper than the Benefit one. It's not the same colour though, more of an almost translucent gel but I'm finding it good and it keeps me matte. Maybe ask for a sample of it before you buy and see what you think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

fifi28 wrote: »
    Decided to treat myself to the Benefit cheek parade bronze and blush palette. I wasnt that interested til I seen it in the flesh the other day, great value as all products are full size and would be 34euro each but the whole palette costs 63euro!

What's your verdict on the Benefit cheek parade? I actually bought it the day it came out on Cloud10 Beauty and then I was waiting for delivery and no sign, I'm not sure but I'm half thinking now the order didn't go through - maybe it's a sign for me to stop buying makeup :D

I don't have the cheek parade palette (although I want it!) but I do have cheekathon, which has Dallas, hoola, dandelion, rockathon and coralista.. the brush is ok but way better than the singles and it's just amazing value if you're gonna get use out of 2+ of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

In all honesty Im really liking it, have used it everyday since I got it. The hoola light is a bit more pigmented than I thought it would be and Ive been using both the regular and the light together for contouring. Used the Rocketeur last night for the first time and its fab on, lovely and sheeny on the skin and not glittery at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I bought Clinique take the day off cleansing oil and a lush shampoo bar to see how it compares to water only.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Just repurchased Maybelline NY Superstay Foundation- by far my favourite drugstore foundation!! Tried Rimmel, Essence, Loreal True Match and none have compared for me. Coverage is superb, love the finish, also very affordable! 10/10 from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Can LRP Effaclar be used as an on the spot treatment, or does it have to be used all over the face to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

anna080 wrote: »
    Can LRP Effaclar be used as an on the spot treatment, or does it have to be used all over the face to work?

I use it as on spot treatment, seems to work for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I can't seem to find any coloured liquid eyeliners any more! Used to like using purples, pinks, silvers, turquoises occasionally for a change (not for everyday wear), I've been looking the past couple of days, but nothing! Plenty of pencils but no liquids. Any suggestions? Obviously I'd rather not spend much when I only use them rarely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Urban Decay do the coloured eyeliners, as do inglot as far as I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

NYX have some! You might need to purchase online though, I don't think I've seen them in store.

Edit: Boots have them online.
    http://www.boots.ie/nyx-professional-makeup-vivid-brights-eyeliner-10212899

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Arnotts have the NYX liners. No metallics I don't think but lots of bright colours.

Advertisement