Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What is a velvetiser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Picked up the shade "crushed lavender" in sleek matte me. It looked a bit mad in the tube - but I like mad and it looked like a unicorn purple.

This is it on, very wearable and you wouldn't even feel it on its not in the least bit drying

2gy0h0j.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Debenhams had 10% off beauty earlier in the week so I got the new EL Double Wear — Double Wear Nude water fresh. It just arrived so I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, hoping it's nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'd love to hear how you get on with it NicsM I've been considering it myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Tried the note cosmetics luminizing foundation today. Went on really streaky and took ages to even it out. Looked fine with my usual powders etc but its gone pure patchy and horrible now. For the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I have a sample of the new Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude. I normally wear Double Wear foundation anyway but I have to say I think I will buy the new Nude one aswell - its much lighter & doesnt settle into my fine lines as much as the normal Double Wear! Best think I've found about it is that when you take it off at night - my skin feels amazing, it has hyaluronic acid in it so it actually benefits your skin during the day :)

I'm a fan!

Also tried Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder for the first time aswell - love it, doesnt settle into fine lines also.

And finally succumbed & bought a Beauty Blender - and now I know why everyone loves them, definitely worth it. Flawless application!

Scraggs wrote: »
    I'd love to hear how you get on with it NicsM I've been considering it myself :)

First impressions – I love it!

They're not kidding when they say "water" in the description, I poured some on to my hand like I do with DW and it's SO runny.

The texture is unlike any foundation I've used before, it's very very light. I applied it over my normal SPF with fingers and the finish is almost satin – it takes a few minutes to work it in to the skin but I'm definitely a fan. It's lighter than DW Light but the coverage is super buildable.

I actually then went straight to Brown Thomas and got the pump for it – it's €6 and really needed to make sure you don't lose half the liquid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

NicsM where did you buy the pump?
    I asked the lady on the MAC counter for a pump that could be used for DW and she said such a pump doesn't exist. I know I've heard of people using a MAC one but she maintained that they don't sell one that fits it!

dee_mc wrote: »
    NicsM where did you buy the pump?
    I asked the lady on the MAC counter for a pump that could be used for DW and she said such a pump doesn't exist. I know I've heard of people using a MAC one but she maintained that they don't sell one that fits it!

Estee Lauder sell them as of last week! I'm guessing they realised the new version of DW needs a pump as it's so fluid. It can also be used with the normal DW bottle so I'm glad I got it tbh – less waste!

Yay, finally!
    I can't wait to try the new one, and the pump just makes it even better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I also got the note luminous foundation, I like the texture but it oxidises so bad on me also. I got the lightest shade and it changes about 6 shades.

I also got the hoola lite and urban decay afterglow blush in video. I love them both!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Guys I haven't bought make up in years.

Can you recommend a good lipstick brand, mascara and eye shadow. Just standard ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Guys I haven't bought make up in years.

Can you recommend a good lipstick brand, mascara and eye shadow. Just standard ones.

Wet n Wild - Eyeshadow (Comfort Zone palette is outstanding €6.50) Lipstick €3
    Essence - Mascara €2.80 & €3.50 & Lipstick €2.90
    Catrice - Lipstick €5.50 & Foundation €8.49

All brilliant budget brands with excellent products that perform to high end standards.

All are cruelty free which is vital for me!

All are available in Pennys in Dublin City & Dundrum, and many pharmacys around the country.

If you want high end recommendations, you can't go wrong with Kat Von D (Debenhams - eyeshadow & lipsticks), Zoeva (great eyeshadow palettes €22) , or Anatasia Beverly Hills (Modern Renaissance palette is amazing - Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty).

Hope you enjoy whatever you pick up!! :)

I got a sample of the new DW Nude today and I'm ridiculously excited to try it tomorrow! The texture of it is gorgeous, really silky and light but buildable (going on the swatch I did on my hand, anyway!).
    I also decided to try a different shade because although I've used DW for years I've never settled on a shade I was totally happy with. Kind of winged the shade choice as the EL counter was unmanned and the Clinique lady, though very lovely and helpful, needed to get back to her own counter so just filled a sample pot for me.
    I'll update after wearing it for a day or two, hope I chose a good shade!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

keredern wrote: »
    Wet n Wild - Eyeshadow (Comfort Zone palette is outstanding €6.50) Lipstick €3
    Essence - Mascara €2.80 & €3.50 & Lipstick €2.90
    Catrice - Lipstick €5.50 & Foundation €8.49

All brilliant budget brands with excellent products that perform to high end standards.

All are cruelty free which is vital for me!

All are available in Pennys in Dublin City & Dundrum, and many pharmacys around the country.

If you want high end recommendations, you can't go wrong with Kat Von D (Debenhams - eyeshadow & lipsticks), Zoeva (great eyeshadow palettes €22) , or Anatasia Beverly Hills (Modern Renaissance palette is amazing - Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty).

Hope you enjoy whatever you pick up!! :)

Wow! Thank you! what about standard eyeliner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Essence and catrice both do eyeliners! I'd like essence over catrice personally! But if your going Kat Von d option definitely try the tattoo liner i find it really good! Lasts the day/night and really easy to use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Have suffered with adult acne for few years. Had it completely under control. Got pregnant, acne flared up. Settled again with the help of medication after the baby but pregnant again and guess what - acne back with a bang!
    I don't let it get to me. Delighted to be pregnant and in the grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal for me but i would still like to cover it as best i could.
    Any recommendations for a good concealer that won't settle into spots and give them that very unappealing crusty look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

idunno78 wrote: »
    Essence and catrice both do eyeliners! I'd like essence over catrice personally! But if your going Kat Von d option definitely try the tattoo liner i find it really good! Lasts the day/night and really easy to use!

+1 for this, Essence eyeliners are amazing. Iv used smashbox, illamasqua among others and ive always just gone back to essence eyeliners both pencil and liquid because theyre brilliant and very cheap. YSL Dessin du regard waterproof eye Pencil is also great (better than essence and any eyeliner ever) but its much more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

heldel00 wrote: »
    Have suffered with adult acne for few years. Had it completely under control. Got pregnant, acne flared up. Settled again with the help of medication after the baby but pregnant again and guess what - acne back with a bang!
    I don't let it get to me. Delighted to be pregnant and in the grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal for me but i would still like to cover it as best i could.
    Any recommendations for a good concealer that won't settle into spots and give them that very unappealing crusty look?

At the moment I'm using the catrice liquid camouflage concealer. I suffer hormonal acne and am finding this very good. It's only about €5.

I also use the NARS radiant creamy concealer but I find myself reaching for the catrice one more these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My Penneys eyeshadow primer is going in the bin!
    I've given it so many chances and every time it creases on me, causing whatever shadows I have on to gather in the crease aswell.

Back to the wet n wild primer, it's so good, but I find it's always out of stock in my local stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Anyone use the Amika Triple Rx Shampoo? I've been using their conditioner for over a year and I love it! But lately I've developed alopecia and I'm wondering if the shampoo could have aggravated it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

La.de.da wrote: »
    At the moment I'm using the catrice liquid camouflage concealer. I suffer hormonal acne and am finding this very good. It's only about €5.

I also use the NARS radiant creamy concealer but I find myself reaching for the catrice one more these days.

100% agree on the Catrice concealer, I personally find it the best one I've ever used. 010 Porcelain is a great colour match for me & doesn't settle into pores the way a lot of others would.

Would you apply it with a make up brush? I have the equivalent of Blank Canvas F43 but a much smaller head. Maybe there is a specific implement I should purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I'd just apply mine with a foundation brush or beauty blender. :)

I wore the new EL Double Wear Nude the past few days and it's really lovely!
    On Monday I quickly applied a very small amount with my fingers and it gave a nice glowy, natural look. I noticed it settled a bit in my smile lines (smile lines at 31, fml) and moved around under the bit where my glasses rest on my nose, yuck, but overall I was really impressed by how silky it looked and felt, a great Summer foundation.
    Yesterday I used a bit more, applied with fingers again and then used a damp Beauty Blender. Used a little pressed powder on my T zone as it was a warm day, and a bit around the 'smile lines area' to see if it would help with that, and to be honest it looked just as good at 11:30pm when I washed my face as it did in the morning when I applied it. This will be my new go-to foundation!

I went in to get the Catrice concealer today and the girl told me that they cannot keep it on the shelves. People stock up and its gone as soon as it comes in. She recommended the Catrice HD foundation. Said she swears by it so i bought it but haven't tried it out yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I went in to get the Catrice concealer today and the girl told me that they cannot keep it on the shelves. People stock up and its gone as soon as it comes in. She recommended the Catrice HD foundation. Said she swears by it so i bought it but haven't tried it out yet

That foundation is amazing. Great coverage. Just make sure to moisturize well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

A plus 1 for that foundation, it's my go-to foundation.
    And yes you have to stock up on that concealer, it's the business.
    I have to say I'm well impressed with Catrice products, at least half my daily face is in Catrice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I just picked up the Catrice HD foundation last week and it's fab! Very natural looking finish, I'm definitely impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Another fan of the catrice concealer here! And also the glam and doll mascara is quite nice, I still prefer my urban decay perversion but glam and doll does just fine for work :)

Advertisement