Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Got a few bits on the sale section on the Kiko Cosmetics website today; an eyeshadow palette, travel pot and a travel size of their combo cleanser/toner. The postage is a bit tasty but 26e all in isn't bad and there is lots of stuff on sale. I love their makeup and always pick something up when I see a Kiko store on hols. I was checking to see if they had one where I'm going on holiday next month and discovered that they actually have a store in Belfast :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

missmatty wrote: »
    Got a few bits on the sale section on the Kiko Cosmetics website today; an eyeshadow palette, travel pot and a travel size of their combo cleanser/toner. The postage is a bit tasty but 26e all in isn't bad and there is lots of stuff on sale. I love their makeup and always pick something up when I see a Kiko store on hols. I was checking to see if they had one where I'm going on holiday next month and discovered that they actually have a store in Belfast :p

Shipping and handling costs to here are awful high. Even within Ireland.

I'm tempted to order from Tarte cosmetics. Says free postage over €68 euro. I wonder would you get stuck for customs on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Just purchased the Violet Voss Nicol Concilio Eyeshadow Palette from Cult Beauty.
    Gorgeous colours, dying to get it.

https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/violet-voss-nicol-concilio-eyeshadow-palette.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I'm living out of the country atm and live near a kiko. Went in there on Saturday and bought a pair of their natural lashes (they seem v wispy and not all that natural but I love that kind of lash!), mascara, eyeliner, a blush stick and setting spray for under 20quid.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

peekachoo wrote: »
    I'm living out of the country atm and live near a kiko. Went in there on Saturday and bought a pair of their natural lashes (they seem v wispy and not all that natural but I love that kind of lash!), mascara, eyeliner, a blush stick and setting spray for under 20quid.:o

I went in while I was away and I just walked out empty handed cause there was too much to choose from lol, I get too overwhelmed :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

neonsofa wrote: »
    I went in while I was away and I just walked out empty handed cause there was too much to choose from lol, I get too overwhelmed :o

Lol, that's exactly what I'm like! I'm going abroad next week and will have a make up loving teenager with me so she'll see me through I hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hello, my name is Keredern and I am a Makeup Addict!!! :(

Just purchased the new ABH Subculture palette!! :o

Because, of course, I absolutely need it to add to my Master palette by Mario and the Modern Renaissance palette. :D

Not to mention the ridiculous amount of other high end palettes I already own and rarely use!!!!!! :P

I tend to stick to my 'drug store' ones for no logical reason whatsoever!!!

But the Subculture palette is stunning and I hope to try out a few looks (other than neutral ones, I mean).

The colours are gorgeous but so unusual.

I'm not very imaginative so use Youtube to get ideas, so will definitely be going that route for this palette.

Have also recently bought Milani Perfect & Conceal foundation and concealer, LA Girl HD foundation, Wet n Wild Photo Focus foundation and concealer, and No7 Beautifully Matte foundation....'cos a girl can never have too much cake face!!!

Actually, they are all amazing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The subculture palette is getting really bad reviews :/ Apparently the shadows are very powdery and kick up a lot. They're swapping them out for new ones so hopefully that's the only issue!
    Shocking as the quality of the modern renaissance one is sooooo good.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I hate this thread makes me want everything. I also have that problem Keredern have so much don't use it all!! Just want it all... we should set up a makeup anon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

LizT wrote: »
    The subculture palette is getting really bad reviews :/ Apparently the shadows are very powdery and kick up a lot. They're swapping them out for new ones so hopefully that's the only issue!
    Shocking as the quality of the modern renaissance one is sooooo good.
    Did you see this video? She hit pan on one of the colours. Crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VftRat7bG5A

I don't own the Modern Renaissance one so have no idea what it is like. I have the Master by Mario palette which I haven't gotten around to using yet (only starting to use eye shadows now as my lashes are growing back). I'm excited for it.

Can't believe it's the 3rd of August already. Won't be long til companies will be talking about their Christmas collections. I'm so excited. I can't wait for it.

I'm mad for the MAC collection, I love getting their pigment sets, so hopefully they'll have some nice ones this year :D

• Advertisement

Did you see this video? She hit pan on one of the colours. Crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VftRat7bG5A

I don't own the Modern Renaissance one so have no idea what it is like. I have the Master by Mario palette which I haven't gotten around to using yet (only starting to use eye shadows now as my lashes are growing back). I'm excited for it.

Can't believe it's the 3rd of August already. Won't be long til companies will be talking about their Christmas collections. I'm so excited. I can't wait for it.

I'm mad for the MAC collection, I love getting their pigment sets, so hopefully they'll have some nice ones this year :D

I ordered the palette knowing the reviews are very mixed...this is the extent of my addiction!!! :confused:

Once I've given it a go, I'll report back. :)

Great about your lashes! Wish mine would improve!

Hope you enjoy the Mario palette...I think it's gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

After all of your reviews I've bought the Wet n'Wild eyeshadow primer the night. Ahm hoping I can home back and evangelise here wi ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

La_Gordy wrote: »
    After all of your reviews I've bought the Wet n'Wild eyeshadow primer the night. Ahm hoping I can home back and evangelise here wi ye!
    You need the smallest drop, I find when I use too much of it, my eyelids feel kinda tight for a while. Blend it in well, when it sets it's like cement - it will not budge!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Just in case anyone is thinking about the ABH subculture, think again... :p I was so disappointed. Powdery, so so sooo much fallout! The mattes are all really pigmented initially, but they don't seem to retain the colour once blended into each other. Everything turns to a murky brown! The duochromes are nice, but they don't apply as you expect. You need a damp brush to build up the colour.

I've managed to get a decent look from using only two colours and trying not to blend into each other too much.

Totally different to Modern Ren - which I loved. Bought solely on how great I've found it. :confused: I've emailed them hoping they'll exchange it for an upcoming batch as I've heard that being offered to some YT folk!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Not sure where to post, but thought a few of you might be interested.
    Huda Beauty is on its way to BT!!

Delighted, I have loads of her liquid matte lipsticks and they are fab! She's releasing a primer and foundation soon too.

Finally picked up the Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel. Hope it's good cos its expensive (I think anyway :o).

I keep saying I'll invest in good skincare and never do, so saved up some money and this was the first thing I bought.

Going to look into some other skincare bits, if you've any recommendations for dry skin, lemme know!

Hope they don't whack up the price of the Huda beauty! Defo would get more of her lipsticks! She is releasing a new eyeshadow palette to! Have her first it's fab!

LizT wrote: »
    Delighted, I have loads of her liquid matte lipsticks and they are fab! She's releasing a primer and foundation soon too.

The foundation looks amazing doesn't it?!

Can any of you ladies recommend an under eye powder for setting concealer?

I've a voucher for Feel Unique so would be great if I could buy from there.

Have any of you tried the Urban Decay Velvetizer? It looks amazing from what I have seen but I am reluctant when it comes to bloggers and their review / opinions so would love to hear your thoughts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Still using and loving Double Wear nude, just in case anyone is still on the fence about it.
    The pump is a game-changer too!
    Anyone using it as an alternative to the original Double Wear should probably note, you're likely to need a good setting powder to get anything like the same staying power. I use a light dusting of my trusty old Max Factor translucent pressed powder (applied with a big fluffy brush), cheap and cheerful!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

dee_mc wrote: »
    Still using and loving Double Wear nude, just in case anyone is still on the fence about it.
    The pump is a game-changer too!
    Anyone using it as an alternative to the original Double Wear should probably note, you're likely to need a good setting powder to get anything like the same staying power. I use a light dusting of my trusty old Max Factor translucent pressed powder (applied with a big fluffy brush), cheap and cheerful!

I've tried this once so far and not a fan. It left me so shiny which never usually happen as I don't have oily skin. Really didn't like it, very pleased I got a sample as I'd be so annoyed if I'd purchased a full size. I love double wear but this one does nothing for me. Definitely try before you buy. I will try again before writing it off completely but I'm not hopeful based on the previous experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I've tried this once so far and not a fan. It left me so shiny which never usually happen as I don't have oily skin. Really didn't like it, very pleased I got a sample as I'd be so annoyed if I'd purchased a full size. I love double wear but this one does nothing for me. Definitely try before you buy. I will try again before writing it off completely but I'm not hopeful based on the previous experience.

I find it to be somewhere between dewy and shiny in finish. Without powder it'd be gone off my nose very quickly as I wear glasses.
    Very happy with the texture when applying, coverage and colour (i have trouble finding a good colour match) so happily sticking with it for now anyway but might try mixing with 'real' Double Wear when I need bullet-proof foundation that still looks natural!

I got a sample of the double wear nude and it blends like a dream and has a lovely finish but after an hour it's melted off my face. I look in the mirror and think I look ok for having no make up on and then realise actually I should have a full face and this is just the remnants of my foundation. I tried using a setting powder and same thing :( thought it was gonna be my holy grail cause my skin is dry and dehydrated. I will never forgive ysl for changing the formula of their touche eclat foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

So I got the Subculture palette. I'm a massive fan of the modern renaissance one so just purchased this on the back of that and the fact that the colours are so different to anything I have.

It's definitely harder to use - I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have patience! The colours are so pigmented you really have to use the tiniest dot of shadow and just blend blend blend.

The fallout is bad on the pallett but I found that with modern renaissance too - doesn't affect the quality of the shadows and doesn't have bad fallout on the lids.

I've done two complete eye looks with it so far and got loads of compliments!

Aeternum wrote: »
    So I got the Subculture palette. I'm a massive fan of the modern renaissance one so just purchased this on the back of that and the fact that the colours are so different to anything I have.

It's definitely harder to use - I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have patience! The colours are so pigmented you really have to use the tiniest dot of shadow and just blend blend blend.

The fallout is bad on the pallett but I found that with modern renaissance too - doesn't affect the quality of the shadows and doesn't have bad fallout on the lids.

Absolutely agree!

I bought it because I adore the Mario & Renaissance palettes.

Subculture is definitely not a beginners palette & you do need to understand the colour wheel, which is why so many people are having difficulty with 'muddy' results.

I am decent at doing my own makeup, but I'm no makeup artist.

I have done a few looks with it so far and, although they were quite nice, they were not looks I would be comfortable wearing out as I am in my 50s!!

It's really a younger person's palette given the unusual colour choices but I can make it work by using the less dramatic shadows, or by being very discerning as to how I use the more vibrant bolder shades.

I have debated back and forth with myself as to whether I'll keep it...€50 or so is a lot for a single palette.

Currently I'm in the 'Ah feck it, I'll keep it' mood!! :D

I have had very little fallout - the trick is to barely tap your brush in to the shade, and lightly dab it on the eye, gliding it gently around the area you wish to cover.

Some of the colours are more difficult to blend out and do require much more time, which is why I am tempted to return it...who has that much time to spend blending!!!! :eek:

But I definitely feel it has been rather overly demonised!!

In my (very humble) opinion it is a unique palette that will test the skills of most users, but once you get the hang of it, you can create very different looks.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought it knowing what I do now.

It is too much of a challenge for me, requiring more time than I normally have to do it justice. :rolleyes:

I'm grand at my own painting (!), but really have no imagination and this palette deserves to be used to its fullest potential.

So if you are creative and love the look of these colours, then go for it, but be prepared to have a learning curve with it unless you are already good with makeup!! :)

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth on it. :)

Please bear in mind that I am not an expert, nor very experienced, just someone who messes around with makeup at home, so my thoughts may not be that helpful! :o:o:o Sorry! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Aeternum wrote: »

Lots of makeup youtubers are very disappointed with Subculture compared to Modern Renaissance because of the fallout and really powdery texture. Also difficult to blend. If you read the comments on some of their videos, you'll see that ABH have changed the main ingredient from mica to talc which is the reason for the difference between the two palettes. Apparently using talc as the main ingredient cuts the cost of making the product by a lot so people aren't happy that Subculture is selling for the same as MR but it's a "lesser" product.

Huda beauty had some swatches of her new eyeshadow palettte, it looks great! I do like her first one and the new one looks to be much better quality (packaging wise - there's a mirror and the whole palette looks more solid). Her foundations look really good too, great range of shades.

For anyone that was thinking of getting the rose gold Huda Beauty palette she had up in her snaps over the wend that once it's sold out it will no longer be available! Not sure why she is getting rid of it?

• Advertisement

It was always marketed as limited edition.

Advertisement