Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Well lads on foot of all of ye raving about it I went to lush today fully intent on buying it, but the girl at the till asked me about my skin type and if I have used a lush cleanser before. I said I have acne prone skin with an oily t-zone and she said she wouldn't recommend it for me! She showed me two others, herbalism and angels on bare skin. I'm going to read up on them before purchasing though, but I am leaning towards herbalism.

Thought it was very good of her, I think lush staff work on commission so she could've easily said nothing and made the sale!

That makes sense because I think it's marketed towards dry skin. I used herbalism before and wasn't mad on it tbh, but the reviews online are amazing. It's definitely for oily skin and I don't have oily skin so maybe that's why it wasn't for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    That makes sense because I think it's marketed towards dry skin. I used herbalism before and wasn't mad on it tbh, but the reviews online are amazing. It's definitely for oily skin and I don't have oily skin so maybe that's why it wasn't for me!

Yeah that'd do it :) hopefully herbalism will suit me though, then I'll still have benefited from your original praise of the other one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Well lads on foot of all of ye raving about it I went to lush today fully intent on buying it, but the girl at the till asked me about my skin type and if I have used a lush cleanser before. I said I have acne prone skin with an oily t-zone and she said she wouldn't recommend it for me! She showed me two others, herbalism and angels on bare skin. I'm going to read up on them before purchasing though, but I am leaning towards herbalism.

Thought it was very good of her, I think lush staff work on commission so she could've easily said nothing and made the sale!

Hey! So I think you should ask for a sample. That's how I ended up using Ultra Bland for the 5 or so years! I have acne too, and I use Duac as a treatment after cleansing. With other cleansers + Duac, I would get very dry and sore skin. But with Ultra Bland + Duac it's just worked really well. Worth a shot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Hey! So I think you should ask for a sample. That's how I ended up using Ultra Bland for the 5 or so years! I have acne too, and I use Duac as a treatment after cleansing. With other cleansers + Duac, I would get very dry and sore skin. But with Ultra Bland + Duac it's just worked really well. Worth a shot :)

Duac is prescription only though isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Recliner

Can't remember who mentioned them already but I picked up the face mask, serum and eye cream from Aldi. Tried the mask tonight and by God it really does dry tight. All cream and sheet masks seem to dry my skin out horribly. I've dry skin primarily all over but especially my forehead and chin. Used the serum and the eye cream after so I'll see how it goes

My forehead still feels a little dry but it's been extremely dry lately.

My skin did feel super clean after the mask I have to say.

In fairness it's an incredible price for the range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

That was really nice of her! I was telling a friend that I loved the Ultrabland cleanser and she said she finds Angels on Bare Skin great too (but Ultrabland is fine on her skin, so maybe Angels on Bare Skin mightn't be the best option!).

heldel00 wrote: »
    Duac is prescription only though isnt it?

Hey, tis indeed. I was a huge fan of Quinoderm with was over the counter, but since that is no more for the foreseeable, I had to get a prescription for Duac. Not as good as Quinoderm, but decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm loving the Ultrabland, it really suits my sensitive, spot-prone, dry skin. My only quibble with it is when I use it at night, I wake up with a greasy bit of hair above each ear but to be fair, that's down to my own clumsiness and failure to use a headband to protect my hairline!
    It's fantastic stuff for removing heavy eye makeup, best I've used.

Has anyone tried the Maybelline Tattoo Brow? I've just bought it and I'm going to try it on Friday after work. I don't need to see anyone till work on Monday so if it's horrific at least it should have faded. I wouldn't have the steadiest hand, (winged liner and me have never been friends) so I'm a bit nervous.

Would love to hear from anyone who has used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

Recliner wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Maybelline Tattoo Brow? I've just bought it and I'm going to try it on Friday after work. I don't need to see anyone till work on Monday so if it's horrific at least it should have faded. I wouldn't have the steadiest hand, (winged liner and me have never been friends) so I'm a bit nervous.

Haven't used it myself. Tried to buy it today in several shops and it was sold out. I've looked at some youtubers and their results and it looks very impressive. The YTs I saw gave it the thumbs up but I think colour pay off works better for dark brunettes.

• Advertisement

Haven't used it myself. Tried to buy it today in several shops and it was sold out. I've looked at some youtubers and their results and it looks very impressive. The YTs I saw gave it the thumbs up but I think colour pay off works better for dark brunettes.

Got it in Tesco..I'm not sure if it comes in more shades than the medium brown (I think) that I got.
    My hair is coloured blonde, moves from warm to dark blonde depending on my humour but originally dark brown so my brows are dark and I tend to darken them anyway because it suits me.
    I might just leave it on for a little while and see how I go. I'm always saying I'll get them microbladed but I'm a little bit wary of that. But I'm also fed up of doing them every day. I can't wear make up at work but I just wouldn't feel ready if my brows weren't done.
    I'll look up some YT tutorials and see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Recliner wrote: »

I have it and really like it. Very easy to use, seems really gloopy at first but its actually grand. The colour pay off is great, and it gives great natural brows for me. I still need to fill them in when I do a full face of makeup, but its so handy for no makeup days.

One thing I will say is be aware of colour change after a few days. I find the medium brown a nice ashy brown for the first 24 hours or so then it turns very warm. My brother asked me why my eyebrows were ginger!!

dizzyn wrote: »
    One thing I will say is be aware of colour change after a few days. I find the medium brown a nice ashy brown for the first 24 hours or so then it turns very warm. My brother asked me why my eyebrows were ginger!!

Oh No!! I don't want ginger brows. There'll be some serious scrubbing done on Sunday night if that happens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

I just have to thank whoever whoever recommended Ultrabland - I can't stop touching my face since I started using it last week!

I just have to thank whoever whoever recommended Ultrabland - I can't stop touching my face since I started using it last week!

It wasn't me but ahm another evangelist! I feel tis a poor man's Eve Lom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Brown Thomas is stocking Artis Brushes in the Marvel Room now... just in case anyone needs inspo for a Christmas present

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Does anyone know where you can buy The Ordinary products in New York? Have they any counters in Dept stores?

They don't have counters but earlier this year they announced they were planning to open a Deciem (parent brand) store at 42nd street and 5th Avenue, near the NY public library and Bryant park. They mentioned 'multiple locations' at the time but this was the only actual address mentioned. I haven't heard anything since but they were in the construction phase back in July and definitely said they'd be opening during the summer, so I'm surprised not to find any update. Sure it might be open by the time you get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

fc13f2b5bea5c529a952bd4a51f872e3.jpg

I fell in love and just bought Black Metal Dahlia Lip Tar from cloud10beauty
    I hope it looks good on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 hungergamer

I bought Ultrabland yesterday on the recommendations off this thread. Quick question does it work better using a warm cloth or cotton wool to take it off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I bought Ultrabland yesterday on the recommendations off this thread. Quick question does it work better using a warm cloth or cotton wool to take it off?

Warm water + cloth and then I prefer to swipe over with cotton wool and the lush tea tree toner to get rid of the residue.

I prefer hot wet cotton wool but I think you'll get a mix of either from the users here. Therefore try both and see what you prefer :)

I use one of those microfibre makeup remover cloths, wrung out in hot water. Sometimes I remove the residue and do serum and moisturiser, other times I just leave the residue as it seems to suit my skin pretty well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Arnotts posted on instagram that they're now stocking The Ordinary skincare range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Just bought these from Cult Beauty..

miJkvmi.jpg

Small sizes of both of the Becca primers. They're only 15ml but handy if you want to try them out but don't want to invest in the bigger more expensive one. The under eye brightener is really good too. Really good for £20 i thought.

And this...

QNMLOKD.jpg

Because what's one more warm toned eye palette when you already own a million? Am I right?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Right. Off to New York next week.

So far on my list I have:
    Tarte
    Colour Pop
    Farsali
    Huda Beauty
    Cover FX
    Fenty
    IT cosmetics
    Milk makeup
    Kate Somerville
    Drunk Elephant

*I know I can get some of these here but I want to be able to see them in person

What am I missing? I also want to check out the hourglass prices, a friend of mine was there last week and got one of the ambient lighting powders for $46, they're £40 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I wouldn't waste your time on ColorPop, I ordered loads of liquid lips and eyeshadows online and they are horrible quality. Lippys are really really drying and flaky. Eyeshadows really badly pigmented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

toadfly wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste your time on ColorPop, I ordered loads of liquid lips and eyeshadows online and they are horrible quality. Lippys are really really drying and flaky. Eyeshadows really badly pigmented.

Oh really! I've ordered from them online quite a lot in the past and really like them, admittedly only their lipsticks. I don't find them drying at all - have you ever tried mixing them with duraline by inglot? I got that tip from someone here and have never had a problem with a matte lip since. I was quite excited to see them in person, can be hard choosing colours online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

misslt wrote: »
    Right. Off to New York next week.

So far on my list I have:
    Tarte
    Colour Pop
    Farsali
    Huda Beauty
    Cover FX
    Fenty
    IT cosmetics
    Milk makeup
    Kate Somerville
    Drunk Elephant

*I know I can get some of these here but I want to be able to see them in person

What am I missing? I also want to check out the hourglass prices, a friend of mine was there last week and got one of the ambient lighting powders for $46, they're £40 here.
    LA Girl eyeliners - dirt cheap in Ricky's and they're fab
    Becca
    Morphe brushes
    CO Bigelow own brand soaps/handwash/lip balms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

pemtca wrote: »
    LA Girl eyeliners - dirt cheap in Ricky's and they're fab
    Becca
    Morphe brushes
    CO Bigelow own brand soaps/handwash/lip balms etc.
    Also Differin (prescription strength retinoid) is available over the counter there now and I always get some melatonin (available OTC) - great for sleep issues.

Advertisement