Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

pemtca wrote: »
    Also Differin (prescription strength retinoid) is available over the counter there now and I always get some melatonin (available OTC) - great for sleep issues.

Sorry I keep thinking of more things - the Maybelline Master Primer range isn't available here yet - the blur & smooth is meant to be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

no this is great, thank you!

I have been getting differin online since it became available otc but its considerably more expensive, so good shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Oh if you're going to the States - check out Cherry Sue's insta-story for today - she has shown a couple of the products she picked up in the States recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Re US trip, Milani conceal and perfect foundation is worth a look if you like a long lasting formula. I'd liken it to Double Wear. You'll find it in most drugstores but CVS tend to have the best selection - if there's gaps, make sure to ask the store assistant in charge of cosmetics when they get restocked!
    Sephora own brand mascara is the biz, I usually pick one up in the queue where all the sample sizes are stocked (then kick myself after returning home for not getting a bunch of them!).

I needed a new moisturiser and mascara so popped in to Brown Thomas to get them from Clinique. Just a heads up - their Christmas stock is in, so lots of freebies to be had!
    I got my usual Moisture Surge moisturiser, and for no extra cost got a gift box with the full size moisturiser and a Chubby Stick plus lots of skincare minis - off the top of my head, there's a decent sample of the Moisture Surge overnight mask which I love, a small All About Eyes eye cream, and a small moisturiser, handy for travel. I can't remember the other bits!
    Then the High Impact mascara came in a plainer gift box with a free Pep Start eye cream (tried it last night and I like it, not really a fan of All About Eyes anymore, bit greasy) and a mini eye make up remover (also tried this and it's quite good but i felt it really dried out my lashes, Clarins do nicer ones IMO).
    It's bonus time so I also got a Moisture Surge gift (small silver mesh cosmetic bag with zip, dinky sized overnight mask (maybe 3 uses), and a small (maybe 10 uses) Hydrating Supercharge Concentrate which I tried today and it feels like a nice basic hyaluronic acid pre moisturiser - it works really nicely with the Moisture Surge moisturiser. Couple of other bits too. There were other sets I could have chosen including a vitamin c themed one, one with a mini perfume and makeup bits, and a men's skincare one.
    And they're also doing a free gift with purchase so they threw in another mini eye makeup remover.
    I have a lot of packaging to recycle, and a Chubby Stick to regift!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

http://www.catrice.eu/ie/limited-edition/blessing-browns/detail/catrice-cosmetics/eye-face-palette-c01.html
    I picked up this limited edition Catrice palette in Penneys the other day, I managed to get the only non-damaged one there. It's the face and eye palette designed by Dawid Tomaszewski (whoever he is).

The packaging is gorgeous, really pretty and looks more expensive than it is. But IMO it would be a nice stocking filler for a teenager. Or for popping into your clutch or handbag. But the palette is too small, the pan's are tiny and in particular picking up the blush with my usual fluffy brush I ended up getting eyeshadow on it aswell. The pigmentation isn't great, you really have to build it up which I just don't have time for in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

misslt wrote: »
    Oh really! I've ordered from them online quite a lot in the past and really like them, admittedly only their lipsticks. I don't find them drying at all - have you ever tried mixing them with duraline by inglot? I got that tip from someone here and have never had a problem with a matte lip since. I was quite excited to see them in person, can be hard choosing colours online.

No I havent but thanks for that tip, will try it. Although I think I may have dumped them all. Spent about €100 and havent used any of it :rolleyes:

i find Stila and Jeffree Star Liquid Lips much less drying. Kylie Cosmetics somewhere in between those and Colorpop.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

I'm off to NYC at the end of the month so this list is great. Had a lot of my (many) lists already. I spent 5 mins going through the Sephora gift sets and place $200+ into the basket!! I'll be broke.

Would like some CVS/Duane Reed recommendations...., Milani, LA Girl, Jergens, Advil 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Have any of ye tried the Huda beauty foundation yet?

I got sample of the ordinary ones and a full size serum? The coverage One is very full coverage and a little goes a long way. It had gone from my forehead by time I took it of. Will keep trying and see. The serum one is light but I think might be a bit drying. It's very yellow is the only thing. Have only worn each once!

Have stila stay all day but I think it breaks me out I love it for a night out tho! Not to heavy but still decent coverage! And a nice glow! And it really does last, photos will to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

ciaradx wrote: »
    Arnotts posted on instagram that they're now stocking The Ordinary skincare range.

Yes - they have it a couple of weeks - pretty small range so far. It's among the shelves beside the Molton Brown range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

idunno78 wrote: »
    Have any of ye tried the Huda beauty foundation yet?

I got sample of the ordinary ones and a full size serum? The coverage One is very full coverage and a little goes a long way. It had gone from my forehead by time I took it of. Will keep trying and see. The serum one is light but I think might be a bit drying. It's very yellow is the only thing. Have only worn each once!

The ones with yellow tones are very yellow but the neutral isn't quite as strong so it might be worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Picked up Kat von Ds Pastel Goth palette plus a new Lolita liquid lipstick and it only cost me €40 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Despite the fact that I struggled to sleep with anxiety over how broke I am last night, I just ordered the Huda Beauty faux filter foundation. So excited to try it out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'd just like to thank whoever posted about the Clinique set with the moisture surge bits. One of my Christmas presents sorted :D even though I wish twas myself I was buying it for :p

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Was on a ryanair flight and saw a Clinique Moisture sure set for 32 euro!! We'll I nearly died of excitement. The 50ml moisture surge is around 45 euro. The set I got includes 75ml moisture surge, eye serum and face mist and all for €32!!! Delighted is an understatement!

You'll love the face mist - it's gorgeous for flights in particular, but very refreshing any time!
    That's a serious bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KatieBelle92

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Despite the fact that I struggled to sleep with anxiety over how broke I am last night, I just ordered the Huda Beauty faux filter foundation. So excited to try it out!!

I am dying to try this!!

Will do a proper post when I get back but I bought the huda foundation in New York. I've used it twice and love it so far. It is a tiny bit harder to blend than my Mac prolongwear but once it's on, it's on so I don't mind.

I used the Huda foundation Saturday and Sunday, these are my thoughts.

For reference I got the shade Trés Lychees, ordered from Brown Thomas and delivery was super quick so I'd really recommend.

Anyway..

PROS
    -The shade was a good match. I wanted something similar to NC30 and this was great. Really nice tone to it.
    -Super full coverage! I normally wear MAC Studio Fix and would need about 4 pumps to do my whole face. I used 1 pump of Huda and had some left over!
    -It had a gorgeous finish and didn't settle into lines, covered some minor acne scarring I have and any blemishes.
    -Didn't need any powder to set - I'd have combination/dry skin and would usually use a small bit of powder with Studio Fix. Not needed with Huda.
    -Excellent longevity - looked just as fab 12 hours after application.

Cons
    -Powder products were a bit hard to use over the foundation. It took some work to get my contour powder to actually show, and blend. It has a very dry finish (but doesn't feel dry at all), but also doesn't look very matte. Its hard to explain.
    -It dries quickly so you need to move fast when applying
    -You would need to prep your skin before using this, hasn't happened me but I can see how it might seep into lines/dry patches on the skin.

In all, its excellent and I think I'll be able to work around the few cons with a bit more playing around. Its a gorgeous formula and will be replacing my Studio Fix for nights out. I'd really recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Nice write up WhiteRoses, I think I'll go to BT and ask for a sample of Huda foundation.

Huda has a shade comparison on her website (http://hudabeauty.com/2017/10/12/ultimate-fauxfilter-shade-comparison-guide/) but I still want to see it in person. I'm NW15 in MAC Studio Fix and Light Cool in Kat Von D so I'm not sure what shade I am based on her guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Great to hear you got on so well with it WhiteRoses, I've heard nothing but good things so might look into it myself as a Double Wear fan. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

dee_mc wrote: »
    Re US trip, Milani conceal and perfect foundation is worth a look if you like a long lasting formula. I'd liken it to Double Wear. You'll find it in most drugstores but CVS tend to have the best selection - if there's gaps, make sure to ask the store assistant in charge of cosmetics when they get restocked!

+1 on the Milani Foundation, it can be got online here, but usually CVS have some kind of offer and it is only around the $10 mark there anyway. It is a fab foundation.

Also Walmart do Clinique dupes of Dramatically Different and Clinique Cleanser, their Dupe Range is called 'Equate' and covers a load of Big Brand Beauty and Toiletries

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Beauty-Strikingly-Unique-Moisturizing-Lotion-4-2-Oz/1863496

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I must try the Walmart "Strikingly Unique" next time I'm in the US... the name is gas it's such a blatant ripoff!!

ciaradx wrote: »
    Nice write up WhiteRoses, I think I'll go to BT and ask for a sample of Huda foundation.

Huda has a shade comparison on her website (http://hudabeauty.com/2017/10/12/ultimate-fauxfilter-shade-comparison-guide/) but I still want to see it in person. I'm NW15 in MAC Studio Fix and Light Cool in Kat Von D so I'm not sure what shade I am based on her guide.

I'm NW15 in studio fix and NW13 in pro longwear, and got the shade panna cotta.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Scraggs wrote: »
    I must try the Walmart "Strikingly Unique" next time I'm in the US... the name is gas it's such a blatant ripoff!!

Am I the only one trying to figure this out?! I blame the Friday evening brain!!!

Am I the only one trying to figure this out?! I blame the Friday evening brain!!!

Clinique do 'Dramatically Different'

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

dee_mc wrote: »
    Clinique do 'Dramatically Different'
    Thanks! I was racking my brains!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Didn’t go to wild in the airport or in the states this time. I bought a bottle of double wear nude to try as an everyday foundation. It’s ok not going to replace my love for the original DW but will do for everyday. I had to buy the naked heat palette just couldn’t leave it there! Bought a beauty blender and I’m a bit afraid of it! A few other bits I picked up but haven’t used so far

https://m.sephora.com/product/eye-for-elegance-liquid-eye-shadow-set-P422809

http://www.ulta.com/magic-star-collectors-set?productId=xlsImpprod16801750

I’m now trying to convince my fiancé that I need him to pick me up the violet voss holy grail palette because it’s totally different to all the other I have!

Have my eye on two of the mini Huda eyeshadow pallets... The mauve one and the warm browns. Praying they aren't reduced for Black Friday because I will undoubtedly lose all self control and buy both!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I got the two oops! Got them for 20% of in Sephora so I’m saying that’s ok!!! Haven’t received them yet tho 2 weeks!!!

Got given a early present of the desert dusk one (I didn’t know til after I have other 2 bought) not as nice as the rose gold I’m
    Sad to say! Not as good pigmentation! One colour is the same on both palettes but seems to be different texture and pigment!
    I’d reccommed the rose gold to anyone thinking of getting one! Hoping now the mini ones aren’t the same!!!
    No more eyeshadow for me this year!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Black Friday Bargains... I'm on a ban now.
    Took me nearly 24 hours to get into BeautyBay

Advertisement