Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ran out of Mac face and body, id heard that Charlotte Tilbury's light Wonder foundation was similar but better. I reluctantly bought it after a terrible experience with her magic foundation a few years ago.

I might as well throw out all my other foundations because this is fantastic.. it does something to my skin.. it doesnt just even my skin tone and cover what needs covering.. it makes my skin look better.. younger even. I still use my Max factor Pan stick on top, nothing will ever beat that for me as a concealer/foundation - I have dry skin and it smoothes everything out. But I'll be continuing to buy the CT light wonder. Now I want the powder too and while at the counter I got to see her eyeshaddow palettes in real life and oh my god theyre beautiful. I need to win the lotto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Started using Kinvara RoseHip 24hr Serum - fab product ; must try out more of their skin range - any feedback from others ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I bought the new benefit mascara and I'm so raging with myself for buying into the hype. Its so messy to apply and all over my lid and undereye. Not to mention the massive clumps! So disappointed. Make sure you try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I finally broke down and purchased the Urban Decay Naked Heat palette today, along with their Vice Comfort Matte lipstick in Hitch Hike. I haven't been that drawn to the other palettes in the Naked line. But being dark haired and dark eyed with red undertones in both, warm browns and burgundies usually work out really well for me, so the Heat palette has been on my mind since it came out.

I also bought the Fresh Lotus youth Preserve Rescue mask, which has gotten some great reviews. I'm excited to try this 5 minute facial.

Just as an update, I am in love with the Naked Heat palette. If I could only have one palette, it would be this one. I also have Mac's Warm Neutral palette and Laura Mercier's Eye Art Artist palette. Those are both great, but the reddish browns in Naked Heat suit my coloring so well. And the shadows are very well pigmented - a little bit goes a long way. It was a great purchase, definitely worth the price.

The mask was nice too. It feels luxurious and it gave me tingles when I applied it. The lotus seeds do a good job of exfoliating gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Twee. wrote: »
    My skin has gone so oily recently so I’ve been using La Roche Posay Effaclar K+. Good results so far, have definitely noticed a difference, works well under makeup as well.

Is it a moisturiser Twee? I remember using the Effaclar Duo before for spot treatment and I gave it away to a friend because it stung the sh1te out of my skin from what I remember. Like more than it should have, I think it left me red and irritated.

I went looking at the range again there in the chemist after seeing your post, I'm desperate to find something to minimise my oiliness. I found a tester of the Effaclar Mat moisturiser so I put a little behind my ear as a patch test. No testers of the Effaclar K though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 beautyobsessed

I need La Mer foundation in medium coverage, it works very well on my skin, no flakes or spots [which I get one or the other with make ups , either spots or flakes].

I'm really wanting some Huda Beauty products - I love the eye palettes, they have better clarity than the urban decay it seems, as I have the naked heat but a lot of the colours are very similar and melt into each other, I prefer contrasting colours so I can do the smokey eye and Arabian eye etc.

If anyone knows where to get Huda beauty in the Limerick region - I would be forever thankful as I'm going into the city tomorrow and don't want this to be a wasted journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Brown Thomas stock Huda Beauty so maybe they have it in the Limerick store?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 beautyobsessed

Scraggs wrote: »
    I bought the new benefit mascara and I'm so raging with myself for buying into the hype. Its so messy to apply and all over my lid and undereye. Not to mention the massive clumps! So disappointed. Make sure you try before you buy.

I have made plenty of mistakes like that, don't judge a book by the cover or think its better quality because of the price or label etc - as most of them come out of the same factories in places like China , Turkey or Pakistan - get packed with different labels after. So lesson learned as they say. If you are still looking for a good mascara that is if you are after good definition look for number 17 dolled up mascara [ in black] - they have it in boots stores , OR believe it or not!!!! LIDL cien mascara [i got mine in black]only 2.99!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Scraggs wrote: »

I avoid benefit at all costs, nearly always style over substance in my experience anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Twee. wrote: »
    My skin has gone so oily recently so I’ve been using La Roche Posay Effaclar K+. Good results so far, have definitely noticed a difference, works well under makeup as well.

Is it a moisturiser Twee? I remember using the Effaclar Duo before for spot treatment and I gave it away to a friend because it stung the sh1te out of my skin from what I remember. Like more than it should have, I think it left me red and irritated.

I went looking at the range again there in the chemist after seeing your post, I'm desperate to find something to minimise my oiliness. I found a tester of the Effaclar Mat moisturiser so I put a little behind my ear as a patch test. No testers of the Effaclar K though.

If the chemist stock La Roche then there should be a trained person in store. (Friend of mine was sent to be trained in all things La Roche Posay by her employer.) So you should ask for help because there are so many options for different needs.
    For example when i was on Roaccutane i had to use Toleraine and then when i finished it i was advised to use Effaclar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ankhyu wrote: »

I hated the Effaclar Duo, did nothing for me! This one is a moisturiser, I am just using it on my oily sections though, and then I use my regular moisturiser everywhere else. It does have a scent, if you’re very sensitive that might be an issue.

It’s also supposed to reduce blackheads with continued use so I’m keeping an eye on that at the moment. Two weeks in though and my oily patches are definitely getting under control. I was desperate as well, my skin type has changed in the last year so I didn’t know what to be doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Got the new Loreal mascara, Paradise, really impressed by it! Good volume and length while still separating and fanning out the lashes, really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

John Frieda permanant foam hair dye is half-price in Boots, at €6.74, so I decided to give it a go.

I was a bit dodgy about it, as I've never used foam dye before, and the mixing directions were different than any other dye I've ever used before (you don't shake it, you tilt it - five times - no more and no less!) It was actually very easy to prepare though, and FAR less messy than any other brand I've ever used - literally not a single splash anywhere in the bathroom, and even the old hair-dying-Tshirt I was wearing actually stayed impressively clean!

The end result was absolutely perfect, it's far easier to achieve good all-over coverage with the foam. I can't comment yet on how well the colour lasts, as I only did it last night, but overall I'm very impressed, will definitely be stocking up on a few more boxes seeing as they're on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The Cool wrote: »
    Got the new Loreal mascara, Paradise, really impressed by it! Good volume and length while still separating and fanning out the lashes, really like it.

I'm using too and really like it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I avoid benefit at all costs, nearly always style over substance in my experience anyways.
    The only Benefit mascara I've ever liked is the Roller Lash mascara. The rest go clumpy and are a bi-tch to take off.

The Cool wrote: »
    I've been hearing good things about this mascara...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Got the Nyx Tame & Frame brow pommade during christmas and its probably the worst eyebrow product I've ever tried. It feels like applying a dried up eyeliner but on your brows, looks patchy and not at all blendable to make it look softer, this despite the fact I've tried a million ways of applying it and naaah! I'm going back to my Asian brow products thank you very much!

On the other hand my sister got the L'oreal one and loves it, uses it pretty much everyday and says its so creamy a little goes a long way. Downside is that its almost double the cost of the Nyx..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

whatever76 wrote: »
    Started using Kinvara RoseHip 24hr Serum - fab product ; must try out more of their skin range - any feedback from others ?

Started using their eye wow a few mints ago after a friend recommended it.

Just also bought the active rose hip day cream and their cleansing oil(which are both excellent)

Can’t get that 24 hour serum anywhere, it seems to be sold out everywhere.

anewme wrote: »
    Started using their eye wow a few mints ago after a friend recommended it.

Just also bought the active rose hip day cream and their cleansing oil(which are both excellent)

Can’t get that 24 hour serum anywhere, it seems to be sold out everywhere.

try on line - https://www.kinvaraskincare.com/ ; have seen codes on Facebook page with 10/15% off so you maybe lucky ! free shipping as well by looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

whatever76 wrote: »
    try on line - https://www.kinvaraskincare.com/ ; have seen codes on Facebook page with 10/15% off so you maybe lucky ! free shipping as well by looks of it.

Had already looked online.

It's out of stock online as well as three different stockists. Must be supply problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey all,

I've been using the Kat Von D Lock It Foundation for the last month or so and just wanted to give it a wee review.

I have very oily skin with large pores, and previously I was using MAC Studio Fix for a few years. I am very pleased with the foundation so far, though the coverage is heavier (I feel) than the Studio Fix. Given how oily my skin is, it really puts up a good battle in keeping shine away for most of the day. I don't bother to apply powder again after the morning set. It is quite an expensive foundation at about 34e a go, but I haven't found a similar coverage and wear for pharmacy brand stores yet. I am very likely to repurchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Recliner wrote: »
    Can't remember who mentioned them already but I picked up the face mask, serum and eye cream from Aldi. Tried the mask tonight and by God it really does dry tight. All cream and sheet masks seem to dry my skin out horribly. I've dry skin primarily all over but especially my forehead and chin. Used the serum and the eye cream after so I'll see how it goes

My forehead still feels a little dry but it's been extremely dry lately.

My skin did feel super clean after the mask I have to say.

In fairness it's an incredible price for the range.

I knew some one had posted about this range, turns out it was me..Doh!!
    I'd obviously forgotten that I'd bought the mask already because I bought it again and tried it tonight. And yes, it still dries super tight but this time my skin looked as if I was sunburned after and it felt very tight after removing the mask. So I'm definitely going to chalk this down as a fail for me.
    Good news is that I've discovered that the pearl radiance sheet mask from Penneys costing the princely sum of €1.50 is the best mask I've used. Left my skin feeling so soft and hydrated and it had a lovely glow (not sunburned mind) after use. Considering I've spent much more for masks that have sucked every bit of moisture from my skin, I'll be stocking up on these ones.

Was in Penneys last week and picked up the 4 pack of lip creams and lip glosses from the new Nudes collection. Only one out of the 4 looked nice one and that's the darker lip cream. It's a nice shade on, a little darker than my natural colour, work appropriate, feels comfortable and it's still in place after 2 hours and a cuppa.

The other lip cream is way too light, it looks awful. The two lipglosses are quite opaque, I had hoped they would be more transparent. They are more of lip toppers rather than lip glosses. Be grand for some young one or someone from Inglot (no offense) but not wearable in real life.

Don't bother getting it, use your €8 and get a matte lip cream from NYX in a shade you would actually like. I noticed that anyone who showed it on their social media this past week didn't actually apply them to their lips, they just swatched it on the back of their hand which says it all.

I put on the much lauded Penneys matte foundation this morning which is supposedly a dupe for EL Double wear - will try and report back in a few days....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

I put on the much lauded Penneys matte foundation this morning which is supposedly a dupe for EL Double wear - will try and report back in a few days....

Really interested to hear how that goes, and what type of skin you have! Cheers for the reviews.

Started using the kinvara skin care range recently- got the cleansing oil and Day cream ! So far so good ... my skin feels great ... lovely products and Irish too !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Has anyone tried Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Tall Lipstick? Swatched it yesterday and tempted to invest!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Tall Lipstick? Swatched it yesterday and tempted to invest!!

I just got this and wore it today for the first time! It’s really long lasting, and I didn’t use lipliner with it. The colour was perfect for daytime, and would suit a more glam look as well. It’s semi matte, which isn’t my favourite finish but I was really impressed with it. I was afraid the colour would be a bit ashy on me but it seems like a good match for most skin tones.

For a good nude/pink lipstick I really like YSL’s range, they do some more glossy finishes which I like. Same price point as the CT. I left my last one in the jacks of Bruxelles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Anyone else pick up the Aldi dupe of the Nip n Fab glycolic acid pads? Game changer! I've used them about three times since buying them last Thursday and my skin is significantly brighter, clearer, softer - all the good stuff! Couple of hormonal spots healing much more quickly than usual - they're flat and pale now, almost gone, whereas at this stage they'd normally still be active and icky.
    Best of all, for the past two years or so I've had some sort of very deep enlarged pore on my forehead - basically a hole in my face, a bit like a chicken pox scar but smaller in diameter and much deeper - and I'd been gathering bad mind to bring it to a dermatologist. After using the glycolic pads twice, it was less noticeable, and today I can see that it's way shallower than it was! Amazing!
    I hadn't tried glycolic acid before and just tried it as an alternative to granular exfoliants, but this goes way above and beyond my expectations of the product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

dee_mc wrote: »
    Anyone else pick up the Aldi dupe of the Nip n Fab glycolic acid pads? Game changer! I've used them about three times since buying them last Thursday and my skin is significantly brighter, clearer, softer - all the good stuff! Couple of hormonal spots healing much more quickly than usual - they're flat and pale now, almost gone, whereas at this stage they'd normally still be active and icky.
    Best of all, for the past two years or so I've had some sort of very deep enlarged pore on my forehead - basically a hole in my face, a bit like a chicken pox scar but smaller in diameter and much deeper - and I'd been gathering bad mind to bring it to a dermatologist. After using the glycolic pads twice, it was less noticeable, and today I can see that it's way shallower than it was! Amazing!
    I hadn't tried glycolic acid before and just tried it as an alternative to granular exfoliants, but this goes way above and beyond my expectations of the product!

Incredibly similar to the nip and fab ones. They're great. Gonna try stock pile up if there's any left this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

dee_mc wrote: »

Are they a "special" or are they there all the time?

Advertisement