Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've been using the Penneys Matte Foundation all this week.

First off, it's said to be a dupe to Estee Lauder's Double Wear, however I've never tried EL DW so I can't comment on similarities etc.

Also I've got slightly dehydrated skin with a bit of oiliness at the bottom of my forehead and either side of my nose.

Applied it Mon with a Laura Geller primer that I don't usually use and I didn't powder. By lunch time it was shiny in my oily parts but I dunno if it was due to the primer, the foundation or lack of powder.

Tues I used my regular primer Wet n wild and powdered. I found it stayed put and matte all day. It was more difficult to apply though with my brush, like my skin was sticky.

Weds tried it with The Ordinary silicone primer, thinking it might help glide the product a bit more when applying it but no not really.

Thurs I applied it with no primer which made it a little bit easier to spread. It still stayed put really well given there was no primer.

Today Fri I applied my wet n wild primer again and this time used a beauty blender instead of my brush. Bad idea for me as I usually apply foundation with my trusted F20 Blank canvas brush and I see now that I've missed some parts of my face and it's not blended along the jawline.

I think I need to try one more way of applying it. I usually do one dap on forehead, either cheek, nose and chin and blend out from there. Think I need to try with numerous little dabs all over the face as it's just difficult to move the product around your face.

Overall I found the foundation very thick and difficult to use and blend out. It dries very quickly and feels nice on the skin. It has great coverage, full but not "caked in makeup" full and stays put all day long and stays matte once I powder it in the morning. I used the shade ivory, I would have picked the next shade up if it was there but it was actually a good match for my post winter no fake tanned skin, but this shade has a pink undertone to it. Overall I'm not sold on it, I might consider picking up a darker shade if I come across one for the rare occasions I go out at night and have tan on. But I'm looking forward to going back to either my Catrice HD foundation or Wet n Wild photofocus foundation next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Recliner wrote: »
    Are they a "special" or are they there all the time?

They were a special buy last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I just ordered some The Ordinary products from Beauty Bay -

Buffet
    Serum Foundation SPF 15
    Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
    Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA
    Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane

Have any of you any experience with these?

I basically went on to the ordinary's website, looked at their Regimen Guide & ordered some items recommended for dehydration & general signs of age - My skin is quite good but I'm hitting 34 now & I'm starting to notice my skin isn't as plump as it would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I bought the MooGoo natural 3 vitamins serum last week, its very pricy at I think 23 euro for 25ml of product but its really good, im hooked already. Ill be purchasing the vitamin C serum next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I just ordered some The Ordinary products from Beauty Bay -

Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5

Have any of you any experience with these?

My skin is very dehydrated and this product has helped massively. I'd previously tried loads of different moisturisers, serums etc and nothing really worked fully.

I apply the Hyaluronic acid (about three drops) AM and PM and it makes my skin feel so soft and hydrated. My foundation used to cling to a couple of stubborn dry patches but they are completely gone now. I am almost finished the bottle I got about 6 months ago and I'll definitely be reordering.

• Advertisement

I got avene cleanance gel for my combo skin. Spring water spray for after. Feels lovely now.
    Just ordered The Ordinary primer as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Great to get feedback on the ordinary - just started a post asking about the brand (sorry mods - I saw this after). I recentlyu bought the alpha H liquid gold after seeing it in the catalog on a flight it was €25 so I figured worth a go. Im surprised at how good it is. Despite using spf products I still have some pigmentation and some lines around my eyes and on forehead. This has actually made a big difference to both which is brilliant! Ill def keep using it!

Has anyone ever bought or used the charlotte tilbury full fat lashes mascara? I use dior iconic overcurl normally as its the only one Ive ever found thats not clumpy and stays on in wet weather. Would like another option for night time.

The new Clinique 72 hour moisturiser is lovely, very similar to the original in that it's gel like but it's a little thicker and feels more moisturising as the day goes on. It's the same price as the original one, too.
    Also picked up their cleansing balm as everyone seems to be raving about it! I like it, it's like a softer, more liquid version of the Lush Ultrabland but seems like better value, weight for weight. I've only used it twice but I feel like it's a bit lighter and less waxy than the Ultrabland - it doesn't leave that coating on your face, but it's not at all drying or 'stripping' which is a problem I have with many cleansers.
    Red magazine has a free Rodial mascara this month - nice mascara, think it's RRP around €30, first coat very natural and just adds colour, second coat adds lots of volume and plenty of length - bit of a false last effect IMO! Again I've only used it twice but no irritation, no smudging and easy to remove with the balm mentioned above. I think the magazine cost around €6 which is extortionate, but I like to view it as a cheap mascara with a free magazine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I started using the Pixi Glow Tonic a few weeks ago and I'm really impressed with it. I've been using my normal moisturiser (E45), then using a La Roche Posay 50 SPF over that and then my colour correcting primer but I'd like to cut out a step and combine the mosituriser and spf. I also find the spf a bit greasy and not very moisturising.

Can anyone recommend a good non comedogenic moisturiser with a high spf please?

• Advertisement

I use the one below. Its pricey but worth it. I tried loads before but either had a senitive skin reaction to them (this happened with the la roache posey ones) or they were too heavy and caused breakouts. This is the only one I found good that doesnt clog my skin or cause a reaction. i use it on top of my moisturoiser. The brand do sell some moisturoiser with spf included but its not as high an spf when included 

This is the spf

https://www.murad.co.uk/city-skin-broad-spectrum-spf-50-pa/

This is the day cream with built in spf 

https://www.murad.co.uk/perfecting-day-cream-spf-30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I bought the mac face and body foundation last month. Was looking for a light coverage for dryer skin.

So far I'm really liking it. Has a lovely finish and evens my skin tone out really nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Ladies anything for dry, scaly lips? I'm struggling at the moment and can't wear lippie because it really draws attention to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Ladies anything for dry, scaly lips? I'm struggling at the moment and can't wear lippie because it really draws attention to it

heldel00 wrote: »

Carmex lip balms are great. A gentle rub of a soft, dry toothbrush to remove loose, dead skin is a good idea before applying it.
    I also use my Clinique Moisture Surge overnight mask (not really a mask, basically it's a night cream that they describe as a mask) on my lips when they're dry and sore, with a layer of Carmex or Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on top, overnight - nice soft, soothed lips by morning.
    Also make sure you're drinking enough water and eating enough sources of good fats to help matters from the inside, and leave a little bowl of water on the radiator if you feel the air is dry in your bedroom/office/wherever you spend most time.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Bought Charlotte Tilbury's new Flawless filter, have to say it's amazing! I love it over or under my foundation for a gorgeous glow that's not cakey. Really stands up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

I am using The Ordinary Hylauronic acid, Retinol and Rosehip oil at the moment but as they are nearly finished I am thinking of making a change - maybe to Image products. Any opinions out there on either range?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

onway wrote: »
    I am using The Ordinary Hylauronic acid, Retinol and Rosehip oil at the moment but as they are nearly finished I am thinking of making a change - maybe to Image products. Any opinions out there on either range?

I use a combination of Image and Environ products. I never took much care of my skin until about a year and a half ago and now I really enjoy doing it and how my skin looks and feels is a great encouragement.
    The products are great. They may seem pricey but you only need a little of a product each time. Try a few samples first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Image ageless total repair creme is amazing! And it has retinol and glycolic acid in it. It doesn't dry my skin out which is important cause my skin gets so dehydrated. I used to use it years ago and loved it but the price put me off buying it again, then as a treat to myself I bought it again this year and it's doing wonders for my skin. It has also helped with the texture at the side of my nose, those little red bumps. Nearly gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I picked up the Penneys Tanning Water a couple months ago, used it once and forgot about it. I don't use fake tan too often out of laziness.
    I found it in my drawer when I went to tan on Sat night and gave it another go. Now I remember why I haven't used it since. You can't see where you have applied (or rather not applied) the product as it's clear liquid. I woke up with patchy legs on a day when I was planning on baring a bit of leg.
    So I tried those Moxi tan remover wipe that come in a little blue container, they were crap.

The tan was grand where sprayed it in a fine mist on my face and chest and it does smell nice though, kinda sweet. But it just ran down my legs. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I have wanted to try Colourpop products for ages and decided to make an order. Shipping only took a week.
    I got:
    Super shock shadow in the shade Wattles which is gorgeous all over the eye
    Super shock cheek in smoke n whistles which is a beautiful light pink highlighter
    Ultra glossy lip in Moonchild
    No filter concealer in fair 02 which is a bit too light for me but a really nice concealer

Those four items cost $21.50 with $5 off coupon for my first order. Extremely happy with everything and will definitely be ordering some more stuff from them. You get free international shipping over $50 but I would be worried about customs fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I have to say, the more products I buy from Rihanna's Fenty line, the more impressed I am. I bought a few of the Mattemoiselle lipsticks last week, and while I usually prefer a more neutral lip shade, the Griselda color blew me away (I attached a pic)! I thought it might be too goth-looking, but it's quite sexy.

Even though it's way out of my comfort zone, I ordered the Summer Nights lip trio and the killawatt highlighter duo in Sand Castle and Mintd Mojito. It feels a bit young and bright for someone my age, but it might be fun to play with. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Does anyone have an opinion/review of the bperfect 10 second tan? Going to a wedding in a few days and am considering wearing tan for the first time in aaaaggggeeesss!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Wellyd wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion/review of the bperfect 10 second tan? Going to a wedding in a few days and am considering wearing tan for the first time in aaaaggggeeesss!

Been using the medium coconut mousse recently and love it. I’m standard pale Irish tone with pink undertone. Goes on beautifully, dries quickly actually smells nice, no curry/biscuit smell, fades evenly too. I put it on then washed my mitt immediately after so put a bit more tan on my hands after thinking I’d probably washed it off and my hands were ridiculously dark so be careful if you’re doing two layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,719 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Penneys have lipsticks similar to Charlotte Tilbury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Has anyone here tried the Tarte Shape Tape concealer, where/how did you get it and what do you make of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

The Cool wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried the Tarte Shape Tape concealer, where/how did you get it and what do you make of it?

I haven't tried it myself but you can get it on QVC UK website. If you're looking for a good high coverage concealer I'd recommend makeup revolution concealer, it's in most pharmacies and it's about 8 euro.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Penneys have lipsticks similar to Charlotte Tilbury

The quality is no were near similar. I find Charlotte tilbury shades to be quite run of the mill, their mostly nudes and reds, nothing you cant find in any other brand of lipstick. What makes me spend the extra on money on CT lipsticks is the incredible quality, theyre so creamy and arent drying at all. She provides the only Matt lipsticks that I can comfortably wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Has anyone else tried any of the make-up from the new CYO range in Boots. I am DEAD impressed with it, the products are as good as any of the high end brands, really good quality, but they're very cheap.

So far I've tried the Matte-and-Blur Primer (practically identical to Smashbox), the Lifeproof Long Lasting Foundation, and the Setting Our Sights Kohl Gel Eyeliner ... would highly recommend all of them!

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried the Pantene pro V foam conditioner? i used a tiny amount last week and its still in my hair, Ive scrubbed and scbrubbed and cant get it out, someone asked me yesterday why the back of my hair is wet. my hairs like an oil slick

Advertisement