Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

any recommendations on make up brushes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Aveen wrote: »

Real techniques are fantastic synthetic brushes and available in Boots.

I love Zoeva, online and Arnotts, they're midrange in price and a great size, small enough for travel, not too small for everyday, lovely quality and great selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

GingerLily wrote: »
    Real techniques are fantastic synthetic brushes and available in Boots.

I love Zoeva, online and Arnotts, they're midrange in price and a great size, small enough for travel, not too small for everyday, lovely quality and great selection.

+1 for Zoeva, I love the quality. Some of the brushes are real hair though if that's something you don't want. It will say in the description if they're real or synthetic.

ciaradx wrote: »
    +1 for Zoeva, I love the quality. Some of the brushes are real hair though if that's something you don't want. It will say in the description if they're real or synthetic.

They have a vegan specific range too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Purchased Mac bold and bad mascara last week. Sadly its very very bad - flipping stuff is smudged under my lower lashes in two hours every time. Going back to dior show iconic - theonly one I find doesnt do this. Ill have to bin the new one as its just awful looking effect i look like i havent slept and have black shadows! Bought a pakc of mini mac lipsticks and much happier with those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Purchased Mac bold and bad mascara last week. Sadly its very very bad - flipping stuff is smudged under my lower lashes in two hours every time. Going back to dior show iconic - theonly one I find doesnt do this. Ill have to bin the new one as its just awful looking effect i look like i havent slept and have black shadows! Bought a pakc of mini mac lipsticks and much happier with those.

Would you not chance bringing it back for a refund or exchange? Not fit for purpose and blah blah. I'd give it a whirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Bought Clinique Flutter to Full mascara and I love it! Wore it all last week in the hot weather (and in the gym) and it didn’t smudge once. Plus it makes my eyelashes look really long, I am impressed 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Have you tried Clinique High Impact Curling? One of about 3 mascaras Ive foundg doesn't smudge on me. Nyx doll eye also, but tube dries very quickly

Just got the ABH modern renaissance palette - first impressions are mixed, HUGE amount of fall out but seems to blend very nicely at the same time! Love the warmer browns, I was considering the soft glam palette but it had three golds, and I never wear gold!

Its reduced right now too
    https://www.beautybay.com/makeup/anastasiabeverlyhills/modernrenaissanceeyeshadowpalette/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

The Cinque Fit range does not budge, I love it.
    Clinique_Fit_Workout_24_Hour_Mascara_6ml?$detail_main$

• Advertisement

juke wrote: »
    The Cinque Fit range does not budge, I love it.

What's it like to remove?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

What's it like to remove?

Fine, though I use a La Roche Posay waterproof make up remover.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

Aveen wrote: »

Blank Canvas brushes are excellent. They have lovely sets. You can buy them separately too which helps if you want a certain brush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I bought Ameliorate lotion on Escentual as it was on offer and it keeps getting mentioned by the UK beauty bloggers. 3 days in and I'm wowed by the difference in my skin. I've since ordered the other products from the range so hopefully they'll be as good.

I haven't actually bought much in the way of beauty products recently... probably because this thread isn't as active!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Just ordered the Norvina palette from Cult Beauty. Modern Renaissance is probably my all time favourite palette and the reviews I've seen say Norvina is similar quality. I love the colours in Norvina, very modern but wearable. Can't wait for it to arrive!

summer-2018_anastasia-norvina_001_promo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Valentina wrote: »
    Just ordered the Norvina palette from Cult Beauty. Modern Renaissance is probably my all time favourite palette and the reviews I've seen say Norvina is similar quality. I love the colours in Norvina, very modern but wearable. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Looks gorgeous, be sure to update us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Scraggs can you recommend a good UK beauty blogger to follow? I only follow one beauty girl here.

Hollywood Flawless Filter - do i need this in my life?
    Tried it today in BT but they didn't have my shade. Is it as big a game changer as they all say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

heldel00 wrote: »
    Tried it today in BT but they didn't have my shade. Is it as big a game changer as they all say?

I use it as a highlighter nearly every day. It gives a gorgeous, subtle glow. You can probably build it up if you want a really dramatic look. I was in love with the BECCA highlighters last summer but I think the quality of HFF is superior. It blends better and doesn't give as 'glittery' or obvious as the powders. I have worn it all over under my foundation as well for an all over glow. It's expensive but I think if you will get a lot of use out of it, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

heldel00 wrote: »
    Scraggs can you recommend a good UK beauty blogger to follow? I only follow one beauty girl here.

Mad to try this but virtually impossible to obtain a sample. Charlotte tilbury not very accommodating in that regard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've a few new bits I've been trying out, really happy with all of them!

Fenty Stunna Lip Paint - took a few goes to get the application right but I love this product now! It has a matte look but doesn't totally dry so you don't get the cracked look that often comes with mattes.

Too Faced Sweet Peach palette - love these shades, there's not one colour I wouldn't use in this palette. Good colour pay off and long lasting.

La Roche Posay Effaclar Cleansing Gel - I have ditched a lot of my lotions and potions and my skin has never been better! I am really trying to reduce waste in my life so with this product I am no longer buying disposable wipes or cotton pads. I use this to wash my face and to remove makeup with a facecloth. It comes in a massive pump container so I have decanted into a travel size for nights away and holidays.

NYX Lid Lingerie cream eyeshadows - really great to use as bases and also good on their own for a light look. Picked up a rose gold and a bronze, will be back for more!

• Advertisement

BARGAIN ALERT!!

ALDI have a dupe for the Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleaner, it's only 5e for 200ml compared to more than 30e for the LE version.

I've bought 4! I've tried a few other hot cloth cleansers and this is definitely the next best to LE that I've tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Anyone have any advice on how often I should be using purple shampoo/conditioner?

I recently went back blonde and am using the Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel range. I find it very good, but I was using it every other wash and noticed my blonde went very dark, so I thought maybe I was using it too often. I've now lowered my usage to every third/fourth wash and the colour looks much brighter and cleaner.
    But I thought those products were meant to be used every wash, so now I'm afraid I won't get as long out of my highlights cause they'll go brassy. Advice online is conflicting.

Anyone have any advice please? Didn't think this question was worthy of its own thread :o

Has anyone been using the P. Louise eyeshadow base and what do ye think of it? Thinking about getting it and seeing what it's like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice on how often I should be using purple shampoo/conditioner?

I recently went back blonde and am using the Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel range. I find it very good, but I was using it every other wash and noticed my blonde went very dark, so I thought maybe I was using it too often. I've now lowered my usage to every third/fourth wash and the colour looks much brighter and cleaner.
    But I thought those products were meant to be used every wash, so now I'm afraid I won't get as long out of my highlights cause they'll go brassy. Advice online is conflicting.

Anyone have any advice please? Didn't think this question was worthy of its own thread :o

Is the water in your area hard? Sometimes this can cause blonde to go dull or brassy. If it is I'd recommend investing in a good clarifying shampoo. Joico and Morrocanoil do great ones. If the water is hard with high mineral content, you probably need to use it. Followed by a good conditioner/mask.

Purple shampoo should be once a week at max I've been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I was told to only use purple shampoo once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Syndic

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Has anyone been using the P. Louise eyeshadow base and what do ye think of it? Thinking about getting it and seeing what it's like

I bought this after seeing all the hype around it. It's really good.

In most P. Louise videos they pack quite a lot on but I don't think that's necessary. A little bit goes a long way. It leaves a tacky feel but shadow glides over it and I definitely notice a difference with vibrancy and staying power. I'd definitely recommend it.

Syndic wrote: »
    I bought this after seeing all the hype around it. It's really good.

In most P. Louise videos they pack quite a lot on but I don't think that's necessary. A little bit goes a long way. It leaves a tacky feel but shadow glides over it and I definitely notice a difference with vibrancy and staying power. I'd definitely recommend it.

I am very tempted to get it, but it's £10, which is great, but the shipping is £9.99 :rolleyes:

Got a new Essie nail varnish in Boots - Barefoot and Topless, it's the best nude I've ever tried
    , it's has enough pink to warm it up but it's sophisticated and so neat looking!

I used to get this colour when I got manicures in Mink nail bar but I'd never seen it on sale before, I'm delighted.

Also picked up Essie Bahama Mama, a good warm deep purple shade, love this one for your toes :)

Can anyone recommend a salt spray? I've tried a few and was never overly impressed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Can anyone recommend a salt spray? I've tried a few and was never overly impressed!!

Are you looking for a salt spray for hair - to create loose curls/waves and texture?

If so, the 'Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray' is meant to be good (Boots link for small size bottle)

If you're looking for a salt toner to spray on your face, LRP Serozinc contains sodium chloride (boots link). I have not used it personally, but many people rave about it

Advertisement