Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone try Alex Steinherr's skincare range for Penneys yet?
    The Alex Steinherr x Primark Collection aims to target skin concerns such as dehydration, tiredness, dullness, pore congestion and skin affected by urban life, with five ranges designed to hone in on these problems. The ranges – Sleep Spa, Pore Balance, Maximum Moisture, Plump & Glow and Pollution Solution – each feature individual products that you can mix and match to create a custom skincare routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Anyone here try Tata Harper? Wandered over to their concession in Armotts yesterday to have a look. Seems to get a lot of positive reviews online and in the press but very very expensive. They do “complimentary” facials too which I might try before I take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone try Alex Steinherr's skincare range for Penneys yet?
    No, it's only been rolled out in the larger stores so none near me. AFAIK it's been sold out. I don't think it's limited edition, so I hope it will get around to all stores eventually. Would like to try the overnight lip, eye and skin masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    No, it's only been rolled out in the larger stores so none near me. AFAIK it's been sold out. I don't think it's limited edition, so I hope it will get around to all stores eventually. Would like to try the overnight lip, eye and skin masks.

I picked up a few bits today in Penneys in mary street. there was still a good lot left though a lot had been sold.

I picked up the sleep spa sleeping face mask (€6)
    Sleep spa every night eyemask (€5) and Maximum moisture micellar cleansing gel.

I also picked up some of the ALDI range, The Caviar night cream, Q10 serum, Expert intensive age night cream and the le mara hylauronic serum.

I'm goingto be based in 2 locations soon so this was a cheap way for me to get a skincare range to leave in each place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got the clay mask in Mary St this evening, they had a fair bit left. Going to try it tomorrow night so will report back. I used to love the Boots Botanics clay mask but seems to have disappeared. Trying not to buy sheet masks, too much waste in the packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've been wanting to mix things up a bit with my eyeshadow looks lately (I never do anything outside of the colour realm of Naked2 and Tartlette in Bloom!) so at the weekend I wandered into Brown Thomas and splurged on the Charlotte Tilbury The Rebel eyeshadow quad. Three gorgeous green shades and a pretty, sheeny champagney one. Gorgeous, a dream to use, and no fall-out.
    http://www.charlottetilbury.com/ie/luxury-palette-the-rebel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Alice1

I bought the Urban Decay Naked Cherry palette for my daughter today. The colours are super and she read the names out as follows:
    Hot Spot (for when it's a bit warm)
    Caution (for when you want to be safe
    Bang Bang (for when you hear fireworks)
    Feelz (for when you feel a zebra)
    Juicy (for when you are thirsty)
    Turn on (for when you want to turn on a light)
    Ambitious (for when you are feeling ambitious)
    Bing (for when you just want to say "bing")
    Devilish (for when you are feeling a bit devilish)
    Young love (for when you are in love and young)
    Drunk dial (for when you make a phone call under the influence)
    Privacy (for when you wish to be alone)

It sure made it sound a bit more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Alice1 wrote: »
    I bought the Urban Decay Naked Cherry palette for my daughter today. The colours are super and she read the names out as follows:
    Hot Spot (for when it's a bit warm)
    Caution (for when you want to be safe
    Bang Bang (for when you hear fireworks)
    Feelz (for when you feel a zebra)
    Juicy (for when you are thirsty)
    Turn on (for when you want to turn on a light)
    Ambitious (for when you are feeling ambitious)
    Bing (for when you just want to say "bing")
    Devilish (for when you are feeling a bit devilish)
    Young love (for when you are in love and young)
    Drunk dial (for when you make a phone call under the influence)
    Privacy (for when you wish to be alone)

It sure made it sound a bit more interesting

Love those descriptions! :D it's a nice palette, undecided as to whether I should get it myself or not

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Love those descriptions! :D it's a nice palette, undecided as to whether I should get it myself or not
    I think the palette looks fab, I was all on for getting it either with my work bonus (hopefully) next month or in the Loop in Dec. But I was looking at the palettes I have last weekend and I've the Huda Beauty Mauve Obsessions palette and a barely used Penneys Berry Edit little palette - they seem to be in the same colour family as the Cherry palette so I've decided now not to get the UD one - feels like I've saved myself €50!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Anyone else interested in the new ABH sultry palette? I think I'll hold out for Black Friday discount codes and treat myself to a new Christmas palette :)

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    Anyone else interested in the new ABH sultry palette? I think I'll hold out for Black Friday discount codes and treat myself to a new Christmas palette :)
    It's nice and it's neutral. If I was lacking a neutral palette or didn't own any ABH palettes I'd consider it. But I've Modern Renaissance and Soft Glam so I don't need another ABH palette to be honest. If you've any ABH palettes already, check the shades of the Sultry palette to the ABH one's you have, I noticed they repeated 3 shades from Modern Renaissance in Soft Glam which left me feeling a little short changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

It's nice and it's neutral. If I was lacking a neutral palette or didn't own any ABH palettes I'd consider it. But I've Modern Renaissance and Soft Glam so I don't need another ABH palette to be honest. If you've any ABH palettes already, check the shades of the Sultry palette to the ABH one's you have, I noticed they repeated 3 shades from Modern Renaissance in Soft Glam which left me feeling a little short changed.

I've the modern renaissance and there doesn't seem to be much/any over lap.

I like the amount of neutral foil shadows, i like my mattes but I'm really lacking in foils!

The soft glam had too many gold foils and repeats so I passed on that.

I imagine it's be a great palette to use with a bold a lip for party season :)

I won't be buying The Ordinary silicone primer again. It's a good primer but the glass bottle and pipette means you don't get all the product out. There's still at least a week's worth of product in the bottle and it won't come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Does anyone have any reviews of Carter Beauty?

I bought the Steadfast liquid eyeliner, yet to try it though. :)

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Does anyone have any reviews of Carter Beauty?

I bought the Steadfast liquid eyeliner, yet to try it though. :)

I bought the half measure dewy foundation. It's ok, I'm not sold on it, I just don't find myself reaching for it. The dropper is a bit stiff getting in and out of the bottle and as a result a few specks of foundation go astray, grand when they land in the bathroom somewhere, not so much when it lands on your clothes.

However I got the Apricot eyeshadow palette and I've been using it plenty since, good for daytime wear. Good payoff and longevity in the shadows and a good price of €12 in Penneys. Only thing is that there are 18 shades in the palette and some of them seem very similar, I'd say they could have easily taken out 3 shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Got some samples of l'Occitane's Immortelle Reset serum the other day after reading a great review of it in the Irish Times (I think). Oh my god, it's gorgeous. Can't wait to buy it, but I'm under strict instructions not to as someone is going to get it for me for Christmas. But I want it now!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I won't be buying The Ordinary silicone primer again. It's a good primer but the glass bottle and pipette means you don't get all the product out. There's still at least a week's worth of product in the bottle and it won't come out.

Penney’s do a spatula and it’s quite narrow, could use this to get the rest out into a different container.

donna35 wrote: »
    Penney’s do a spatula and it’s quite narrow, could use this to get the rest out into a different container.
    Thanks, I have a spatula at home but it's not narrow enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thanks, I have a spatula at home but it's not narrow enough.

I leave glass bottles upside-down on a piece of plastic or card when they get to that stage, you'll easily get another few days of product out of them.

I would not recommend picking up the Aldi La Mara miscellar water. I used it for the first time yesterday and found it very drying. I used miscellar to take off my makeup before I cleanse and I had to plaster my face in moisturiser. Also didn’t like the smell, kinda musty or something.

Incidentally the moisturiser I used was actually the La Mara face cream and I was just finishing off the jar. It is good, I find it a bit heavy for day time use though. Have back ups of the serum and eye cream - I’m liking those, nearly finished the eye cream and I’m half way through my second serum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

My skin has gotten quite sensitive lately and I'm definitely finding that it fares much better when I kind of just leave it alone! Years of trying different cleansers and nothing working I've ended up with self-created combination skin I think, where I'm oily and then I dry it out too much and then my skin produces too much oil as I'm so dry and it's such a vicious circle. So I've pared back my skincare to a few bits.

Superdrug Naturally Radiant Glycolic toner - I use this at night after cleansing and I really find that I wake up with my redness much better, my skin less textured, and any spots healed up a lot. There's a range of products including glycolic pads but those have aloe vera in them which I'm allergic to.

Boots Traditional Glycerin and Rosewater - this is €2.99 for 200mls but so plain and simple - tones and moisturises and really keeps my skin glowy and hydrated all day.

The glycerin and rosewater is a newer addition to my routine, in the last few weeks and for the first time in ages, over the last week I've felt comfortable just wearing a little concealer where I needed it, and no foundation. It's been so long since I've been happy without makeup and not felt like a foot :pac:
    Just sharing in case anyone else feels like they're going round in circles with their skincare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

The various versions of glycerine/rosewater or witch hazel are really good for my combination skin, I use the Ultrapure labs ones, it's an irish brand and very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Too add to the aldi buys. The exfoliating mud mask. My god should have done a patch test, it burned the face off me. Went straight in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

La.de.da wrote: »
    Too add to the aldi buys. The exfoliating mud mask. My god should have done a patch test, it burned the face off me. Went straight in the bin.

My daughter bought that mask. She spilled some on her jeans and it bleached them! Putting it on your face can't be good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

The Cool wrote: »
    My skin has gotten quite sensitive lately and I'm definitely finding that it fares much better when I kind of just leave it alone! Years of trying different cleansers and nothing working I've ended up with self-created combination skin I think, where I'm oily and then I dry it out too much and then my skin produces too much oil as I'm so dry and it's such a vicious circle. So I've pared back my skincare to a few bits.

Superdrug Naturally Radiant Glycolic toner - I use this at night after cleansing and I really find that I wake up with my redness much better, my skin less textured, and any spots healed up a lot. There's a range of products including glycolic pads but those have aloe vera in them which I'm allergic to.

Boots Traditional Glycerin and Rosewater - this is €2.99 for 200mls but so plain and simple - tones and moisturises and really keeps my skin glowy and hydrated all day.

The glycerin and rosewater is a newer addition to my routine, in the last few weeks and for the first time in ages, over the last week I've felt comfortable just wearing a little concealer where I needed it, and no foundation. It's been so long since I've been happy without makeup and not felt like a foot :pac:
    Just sharing in case anyone else feels like they're going round in circles with their skincare!

Was about to buy the Boots Traditional Glycerin and Rosewater, then read the ingredients list & the reviews!

Aqua, Glycerin, Isopropyl alcohol, Methylparaben, Sodium citrate, Citric acid, Parfum, Eugenaria caryophyllus leaf oil

Shame about the paraben in particular. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

So... beauty bay have a sale on and I've bought a load :( Mostly 3x beauty blenders for €8.40 each, ABH Modern Renaissance for €38, and some bits from Stila and Zoeva and Wet'n'Wild

Everything just seemed such great value... I hope I like what I get! I kept adding things to my basket and then just couldn't bare to remove anything past a certain point.

beautyblender Sponge 3 €25.20
    Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eyeshadow Palette 1 €38.00
    ZOEVA Coral Spectrum Blush Palette 1 €12.43
    ZOEVA Summer Strobe Spectrum Palette 1 €16.63
    ZOEVA 102 Silk Finish Brush 1 €10.15
    ZOEVA Rose Golden Vol.2 106 Powder Brush 1 €10.15
    Stila Nouveau Nude Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick Set 3x 1.5 ml 1 €16.80
    Stila Smudge Kajal Eyeliner Espresso 1.2g 1 €13.30
    Stila One Step Illuminate 30ml 1 €21.70
    wet n wild MegaSlicks Balm Stain Coral of the Story 1 €2.99
    wet n wild MegaSlicks Balm Stain Pinky Promise 1 €2.99
    wet n wild Ultimate Brow Retractable Pencil Medium Brown 1 €2.25

Somebody reassure me that these were all essential purchases, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Does anyone have any recommendations for concealer and bronzer and currently using benefit hoola bronzer and estee Lauder double wear concealer, I'm hoping to pick something up in the sales, want to try a more affordable concealer, was looking at getting the tarte shape tape if anyone knows of anywhere ordering it for good value as it's quite expensive and possible a darker bronzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Does anyone have any recommendations for concealer and bronzer and currently using benefit hoola bronzer and estee Lauder double wear concealer, I'm hoping to pick something up in the sales, want to try a more affordable concealer, was looking at getting the tarte shape tape if anyone knows of anywhere ordering it for good value as it's quite expensive and possible a darker bronzer

The catrice camouflage concealer is brilliant imo. If your near a Penneys pick one up they're only €4 fantastic coverage.
    Love the clarins instant concealer too it's around the €25 mark.

Note cosmetics do lovely bronzer. I use the lightest not at all orange and I'm pale as feic. I'd say the medium would be like Hoola or a bit darker. It's around €15 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Another vote for the Catrice one - I find that concealer and the matching foundation every bit as good as Double Wear, and a better shade match for me than any Estee Lauder one I tried (I think I've had 5 different shades of Double Wear over the years and used to mix them to get the correct shade - great fun on a morning when you're still half asleep!).
    I picked up a Flormar waterproof eyeliner pencil in Penneys today (I think Flormar is new to Penneys?) in a great shade of green that will complement my Charlotte Tilbury Rebel palette perfectly. Tried it as soon as I got home and it's really lovely - precise enough but soft enough.
    Also grabbed a flesh-coloured eyeliner for the waterline - jumping on the bandwagon after seeing a YouTube video by The Pool. Should help brighten things up on those red-eyed mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

SozBbz wrote: »
    So... beauty bay have a sale on and I've bought a load :( Mostly 3x beauty blenders for €8.40 each, ABH Modern Renaissance for €38, and some bits from Stila and Zoeva and Wet'n'Wild

Just ordered the Makeup Revolution Concealer off beauty bay which was reduced to 3.15, unfortunately delivery was 3.50, I'm not sure If that's still considered a bargain!

Advertisement