Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I had been using the Carter concealer, quite liked it but agree that the dropper is a pain. I was closing it one day after use and I managed to tighten it too much causing the cap to crack. Annoying but no big deal. That is until I brought it on a flight and opened my bag after to find it leaked all over the rest of my makeup. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm currently using the dewy half measure one also and like Hoolies I'm not gone on it either, just using it up for work and won't repurchase. I find it quite thick for a medium foundation. It's not that dewy on me. The dropper is annoying as well. I don't like Marissa's pas-ag tone in relation to the dropper - I've gone through many bottles of foundation from Catrice with a dropper and never had a problem. The formula of Marissa's foundation is too thick for the dropper, it needs a pump.

That's exactly it, the concealer is too thick as well. Even a doe-foot applicator or stick (paddle/spatula..?) in the bottle would be fine for the concealer in place of a pump, the dropper is too messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I had been mulling over purchasing this for ages. Went in on Saturday and the girl at the counter said she would recommend shade 1 if I’m wearing it under foundation and shade 2 if I’m wearing tan or wear flawless filter on its own. I’m about the same colouring as you. I bought shade 2 in the end. I’ve worn it twice so I haven’t really formed an opinion on it yet.

So do you wear it as a primer? You have me tempted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Anyone using any Shiseido products?
    I bought a foundation brush from there the other day (ruinously expensive but excellent spur of the moment purchase!) and was given a few freebie samples to try.
    So far I've used the Waso sleeping mask which is lovely to apply and made me look human this morning after a fairly patchy night's sleep - left my skin feeling very soft and subtly plumped up too.
    They also threw in a pair of Benefiance eye masks which I haven't tried yet but which promise to reduce the appearance of wrinkles in just 15 minutes. I don't have any wrinkles to speak of yet but I love a good mask so will try some evening when I'm in need of pampering.
    I really don't need to go down another expensive skincare rabbit hole but interested to know if anyone here has experience of their stuff, including the makeup?

• Advertisement

So do you wear it as a primer? You have me tempted now!
    I’m not sure how effective it is as a primer under foundation. But I wore it today on its own with just a bit of under eye concealer. It’s subtle - I didn’t look like I was wearing any makeup but I looked a touch healthier and alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Picked up this Pixi Glow Tonic trio on Asos for 14gbp - its 15e for one in M&S so thought it was quite good:

https://www.asos.com/pixi/pixi-asos-exclusive-trio-of-tonics/prd/10939489

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

dee_mc wrote: »
    Anyone using any Shiseido products?

My pal worked for them for a while and she said if the customers skin was anything to go buy the stuff was worth the spend.

Just finishing the eye cream at the mo and hoping I wont miss it!

I got a lovely gift of the Nuxe Creme Fraiche hydrating mask (https://www.escentual.com/nuxe/cremefraiche007), it can be used thick on the skin for 15 minutes or you can apply a thin layer and leave over night. My skin was very soft and hydrated but then I started to break out after using it twice a week for a few weeks, normally I never have spots. I think combined with my use of Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Oil it was all a bit too rich for my skin. I stopped using both for a fortnight and my skin has finally gone back to normal. I am reintroducing the mask one night a week, and am keeping the oil for those special "recovery" nights, ie hangovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Feel like I’ve found a glitch in the matrix or something. I went in to buy a tube of MAC strobe cream as I’m loving it under my matte foundation recently for a soft dewy finish without looking overly highlighted or greasy. Anyway, went in and the normal full size 50ml tube was €34... or a 30ml travel size tube was €12..... I bought two travel sizes instead of course but just thought it was bizarre that there was such a large price difference! Normally it’s better value to buy to buy larger one... ended up with 60ml for €24!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Feel like I’ve found a glitch in the matrix or something. I went in to buy a tube of MAC strobe cream as I’m loving it under my matte foundation recently for a soft dewy finish without looking overly highlighted or greasy. Anyway, went in and the normal full size 50ml tube was €34... or a 30ml travel size tube was €12..... I bought two travel sizes instead of course but just thought it was bizarre that there was such a large price difference! Normally it’s better value to buy to buy larger one... ended up with 60ml for €24!

Yeah this is a weird anomaly but its been like this for ages. Its not a product that I use daily anyway, so the smaller tubes really suit me as they won't have a change to dry out. Also handier for travel.

You'd have to wonder how many of the larger tubes Mac actually sell!

I have to say i'm getting more into the idea of buying minis, especially mascaras. I don't wear mascara every day and I was finding that I really wasn't getting value out of the full size tubes. Probably cheaper by weight/ml, but I was chucking them as they were drying out before I'd finished the tube. I tend to use Benefit mascaras and they're all available as minis.

My recent purchases:
    https://www.beautybay.com/p/makeup-revolution/revolution-conceal-and-define-concealer/c3/ Sampled it last night, goes on easy, blends well, all looking positive, and only €4.50!

https://www.beautybay.com/p/zoeva/graphic-brow-fix/ammos/ I got this to tide me over between brow tints. The colour is a little light for me but I do have a fresh tint on now so I'll give it a proper go when that fades.

https://www.beautybay.com/p/jeffree-star-cosmetics/summer-2018-collection-velour-liquid-lipstick/coral-fixation/ I was after a new orange lip product and this was recommended to me. The colour is fab and it goes on really well. I will see how it fares on a night out soon, hopefully not too drying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Fresh tints are broken down by oil, so to keep your tint looking fresher for longer, avoid oils/harsh cleansers/moisturizers etc from going into your eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Fresh tints are broken down by oil, so to keep your tint looking fresher for longer, avoid oils/harsh cleansers/moisturizers etc from going into your eyebrows.

Oh that’s really good to know! I assume it’s the same for lash tints too is it? Thanks!

That concealer Twee from MakeUpRevolution is a good one - I can find it a tad heavy but it's heavy duty in my opinion.

I hear ya with the mascara minis. You are supposed to chuck your mascara after 3 months of opening. That's why I rarely buy an expensive mascara. I do like many of the Benefit mascaras and I used to find that I would use them much longer than 3 months cos I don't want to throw them out. Now I use either Catrice mascaras or Benefit minis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Oh that’s really good to know! I assume it’s the same for lash tints too is it? Thanks!

Absolutely. So if your brows are ever too dark, the best way to take it down a bit would be with oil but is also a cause for stripping it much quicker too

Yeah I'd always avoid the area with oils for the first few days, and if I'm moisturising with oils I'll go around the brows.

I'm a bit of a last minute gal so there's always a week where I need a tint but won't get to it, or can't get an appointment, hence the need for a back up product in the kit!

I've seen a few bloggers/instagrammers saying they are going to "Shop Their Stash" for the month of Jan - they are going to try to not buy anything for the month, use what they have and possibly discover old favourites.

This is something I've been considering myself - only trying to do it for the full year. (I tried last year, didn't really work!)
    I've so much makeup. I've so many lotions and potions, shower gels, moisturisers, fake tans, nail polishes, etc etc etc. I got gifts of some stuff over Christmas. I've been a divil for being "influenced" and buying the latest eyeshadow palettes. I'm actually embarrassed at the sheer amount of stuff I have and I'm not a make up artist, I'm not a beauty blogger, I only have one face.

So I've unfollowed a few on instagram whose accounts read more like the argos catalogue. I'm starting to unsubscribe from the email alerts from Cult Beauty, MakeUpRevolution, Superdrug, etc so I'm not tempted with latest releases, discount codes.

I've decided I'm going to try and use up what I have. I've so many duplicates of things - I've 3 different gradual tanners - I only need one. I've at least 4 fake tans in my drawer - I only need one. Make myself use things I don't normally reach for like some eyeshadow palettes. So far I'm only going to allow myself to repurchase the following: deodorant, toothpaste, dry shampoo, Catrice concealer and mascara. I actually think I have enough cleansers, moisturisers, lotions etc to last me the year which is embarrassing.

The last thing is we are thinking of maybe going on holidays to America in the summer so part of that is going to be me saving the money I would normally spend on products I don't need and saving the €50-€100 I would drop everytime I go into Penneys and keeping it all for a holiday.

I'm getting old and sensible but expect me to keep posting here when I use up products. (And maybe give me some moral support to resist temptations!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Great idea! I think I'll do the same.

There's definitely some things I'll need to repurchase; shower gel, deodorant, toothpaste, but I don't spend much on the thinga6i actually use up regularly.

I think I'll need to go through my makeup. I checked through lipsticks the other day and one of my Macs looked to have mould on it, it's only 18 months old :( I'll definitely have to check everything.

GingerLily wrote: »
    I think I'll need to go through my makeup. I checked through lipsticks the other day and one of my Macs looked to have mould on it, it's only 18 months old :( I'll definitely have to check everything.
    I did a clear out of my make up only recently. A lot of what I got rid of was cheap make up - Penneys, Essence, and Makeup Revolution.
    But I found that I couldn't part with my more expensive make up that I don't really use as much eg Mac blushes, Benefit highlighters etc because I've spent quite a bit on money on them. So I'm going to make myself at least use them up and get my money's worth from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I've seen a few bloggers/instagrammers saying they are going to "Shop Their Stash" for the month of Jan - they are going to try to not buy anything for the month, use what they have and possibly discover old favourites.

This is something I've been considering myself - only trying to do it for the full year. (I tried last year, didn't really work!)
    I've so much makeup. I've so many lotions and potions, shower gels, moisturisers, fake tans, nail polishes, etc etc etc. I got gifts of some stuff over Christmas. I've been a divil for being "influenced" and buying the latest eyeshadow palettes. I'm actually embarrassed at the sheer amount of stuff I have and I'm not a make up artist, I'm not a beauty blogger, I only have one face.

So I've unfollowed a few on instagram whose accounts read more like the argos catalogue. I'm starting to unsubscribe from the email alerts from Cult Beauty, MakeUpRevolution, Superdrug, etc so I'm not tempted with latest releases, discount codes.

I've decided I'm going to try and use up what I have. I've so many duplicates of things - I've 3 different gradual tanners - I only need one. I've at least 4 fake tans in my drawer - I only need one. Make myself use things I don't normally reach for like some eyeshadow palettes. So far I'm only going to allow myself to repurchase the following: deodorant, toothpaste, dry shampoo, Catrice concealer and mascara. I actually think I have enough cleansers, moisturisers, lotions etc to last me the year which is embarrassing.

The last thing is we are thinking of maybe going on holidays to America in the summer so part of that is going to be me saving the money I would normally spend on products I don't need and saving the €50-€100 I would drop everytime I go into Penneys and keeping it all for a holiday.

I'm getting old and sensible but expect me to keep posting here when I use up products. (And maybe give me some moral support to resist temptations!)

I’ve been doing this for quite a while now, I use up everything I have before buying another of the same thing, it’s actually quite cathartic.

I’ve also checked out of insta and Facebook and social media in general because I feel I’m being sold too ALL the time, even when I think I’m not!

I’m an aul dinosaur though! Soon I’ll start giving out to my kids about the “light bill!” :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

Really great idea re the shop your stash - I did a clear out not so long ago so cut down on a lot of stuff I wasn't using...
    I am running low on foundation so before I start will have to purchase :D
    Any recommendations for a good daytime foundation? Nothing too heavy but I was using the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Gel with powder and it looks crap by the end of the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

fed_u wrote: »
    Really great idea re the shop your stash - I did a clear out not so long ago so cut down on a lot of stuff I wasn't using...
    I am running low on foundation so before I start will have to purchase :D
    Any recommendations for a good daytime foundation? Nothing too heavy but I was using the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Gel with powder and it looks crap by the end of the day!!

I've been using the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation recently, its not too heavy IMO but foundations are quite a personal thing.

I definitely need to start using what I have before repurchasing. I've a good few foundations on the go and but thats ok as I will get through them. I'm a disaster for barely used lipsticks and eye palettes. I did buy ABH modern renaissance recently and am loving it. The colours are so strong, buildable and just tipping my brush gives a great payoff.

I've also got another Stila palette that I really like and I've hit the pan on one or two shades - so that might get repurchased when the time comes.

On the other hand, I've really got to stop buying MAC palettes. So unimpressed with the last two I bought. They're barely touched but it would pain me a bit to throw them out as its such a waste of money. I also have a lot left in the various Urban Decay naked palettes. They are good but not as good as ABH.

Would folks be interested in a separate thread for "Shop the Stash"? Post up how you're doing, what you've finished, and whether you'd repurchase?

This thread is supposed to be for recent purchases and reviews but as we all know it does descend into chat a fair bit, so might be easier for people to get involved in Shop the Stash (Beauty Board 2019 Challenge!?), and read others' experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Twee. wrote: »
    Would folks be interested in a separate thread for "Shop the Stash"? Post up how you're doing, what you've finished, and whether you'd repurchase?

This thread is supposed to be for recent purchases and reviews but as we all know it does descend into chat a fair bit, so might be easier for people to get involved in Shop the Stash (Beauty Board 2019 Challenge!?), and read others' experiences.

Yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I would too! Think it’s something I might take part in too (although yesterday I bought setting spray, but I had run out, so I think that’s allowed :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I was inspired to go through my make up this evening, thinking I'd have loads to revisit, but in fact, not counting the stuff I use daily, I only found two lipsticks that are past their best, two tinted lip balms I don't use, three old foundations that weren't quite right on day one, and the sad remains of an Estee Lauder eyeshadow palette I never liked much but used quite a lot. They're all in the bin.
    The only things I'd forgotten about but kept are a good neutral Estee Lauder lipliner I rarely use but which is useful, and a Benefit waterproof eyeliner pencil I'll only use if my Sharpie-type one has a terrible accident.
    On the other hand, I have an impressive collection of full-size moisturisers and eleventy million sample size moisturisers and emollients! Need to start working my way through those, sharpish.
    Chucked out an embarrassing number of cheaper serums that don't suit my skin - that was a wakeup call to just stick with the one I know actually works for me, even though it is expensive.
    Also found a Clinique roll on eye serum I only got in November (part of a set) that I'd totally forgotten about, so that's entering the rotation now!
    But in the spirit of the challenge, I won't be buying anymore makeup or skincare (except mascara and concealer, because I'm close to using up my current ones) until I've used them up.
    I'm also putting myself on a nail polish ban because my collection is both ridiculously large and comically repetitive - five near-identical shades of red, anyone? Given that I only wear red nails about twice a year, it's a tad excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Would love this. I’m fighting a constant battle with myself to stop buying new makeup.
    It’s so hard with the sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

+1! Super idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Would love this. I’m fighting a constant battle with myself to stop buying new makeup.
    It’s so hard with the sales!

i KNOW. When Colourpop were doing free international shopping over Christmas I felt obliged to, and told myself "sure it's very cheap anyway". Now it's 3 new lipsticks and a highlighter later... :o

Advertisement