Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I got IT cosmetics CC+ cream last week and have been wearing it every day since.

My skin is very dry and I've a bit of pinkness in my cheeks. This is listed as full coverage but, for me, one pump gives me medium coverage but you could build it if you want. It's a creamy, very blendable consistency. One pump does my whole face and neck. I'm really impressed and will definitely repurchase.

The colour range in Arnotts is a bit limited. I got Medium which I feel is a tiny bit light for me but the next shade up they had, Rich, was way too dark for me. I'll be looking at online retailers when I go to buy again. Edit to add: Just saw on boots.ie they appear to have the full shade range! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

A few purchases over the last few months,

Drunk Elephant Beste No.9 Jelly Cleanser - love this for taking making off. It just melts off, a bit pricey at €31 but I don’t wear make up all that often so it’ll last me ages.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Amerezy highlighter - I haven’t decided how I feel about this yet. I think I may prefer Becca Champagne Pop.

Mac Cheeky Bits blusher - I really like Macs extra dimension blushers so wanted to add to the collection.

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm - loving this, adds a bit of a glow. I also use it as hydrating mask.

Charlotte Tilbury Flawless Filter - gorgeous glow. Worth the spends. Also got Pillow Talk lip pencil and lipstick - really really pretty and comfortable to wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi HairyPrincess.

I was intrigued by the drunk elephant brand, I’d never heard of it before. It sounds fab. I’ve been looking for a cleanser fir taking off make up. Would you recommend it? Do you know do they deliver to Ireland ?

I really really like it. Taking off my makeup is effortless using it.

I bought in the SpaceNK shop on Grafton street. They have it on Cult Beauty too if Dublin isn’t accessible to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I really really like it. Taking off my makeup is effortless using it.

I bought in the SpaceNK shop on Grafton street. They have it on Cult Beauty too if Dublin isn’t accessible to you.

Thanks I was just looking on cult beauty. :) I might be in Dublin in April so l either get it then or order online. I was looking st the littlies a pack of small size drunk elephant products. Have you tried any of their other products? I feel a splurge coming on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Debenhams have discounts on beauty so I treated myself!

Urban Decay Naked Reloaded Pallette, 15%off :) the colours look great for every day and semi dressy occasions :)

Also got the benefit Cheerleader pallette in bronze, two Hoolas two blushes and a highlighter, all full size for 50e (165e if bought individually) !

Cant wait till they arrive, I've been looking at getting a neural palette and a blush palette for ages, really happy with my decision!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

They look like good purchases GungerLily!

Lisha wrote: »
    Thanks I was just looking on cult beauty. :) I might be in Dublin in April so l either get it then or order online. I was looking st the littlies a pack of small size drunk elephant products. Have you tried any of their other products? I feel a splurge coming on....

I haven’t tried any of their other products but I’ve heard the eye cream is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vanilla Cupcake

I bought two foundations recently- cyo lifeproof, nice medium coverage and lasts well on my oily skin. The colour is a bit off (shade 103) so I mixed the collection lightening drops into it which makes it look better (also a new purchase). I then bought loreal freshwear foundation haven't tried this yet but looking forward to trying it- got the shade linen but now looking at it, it does look a bit dark for me (those drops will be getting lots of use) I also got the loreal more than concealer which is nice- full coverage but can look heavy and dry if you use a lot, it will last ages with the size of the tube and the fact you only need to use a small amount of it!

Around Christmas I bought the Charlotte Tilbury flawless airbrush powder, this is nice but I don't think it's anything amazing for 40euro. I still prefer my mac mineralise skinfinish natural powder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

I bought two foundations recently- cyo lifeproof, nice medium coverage and lasts well on my oily skin. The colour is a bit off (shade 103) so I mixed the collection lightening drops into it which makes it look better (also a new purchase). I then bought loreal freshwear foundation haven't tried this yet but looking forward to trying it- got the shade linen but now looking at it, it does look a bit dark for me (those drops will be getting lots of use) I also got the loreal more than concealer which is nice- full coverage but can look heavy and dry if you use a lot, it will last ages with the size of the tube and the fact you only need to use a small amount of it!

Around Christmas I bought the Charlotte Tilbury flawless airbrush powder, this is nice but I don't think it's anything amazing for 40euro. I still prefer my mac mineralise skinfinish natural powder.

I feel the same about CT & considering the price the packaging on a lot of her stuff is shocking, puts me off repurchasing. The white plastic pump on the foundation is really annoying me!

• Advertisement

Icsics wrote: »
    I feel the same about CT & considering the price the packaging on a lot of her stuff is shocking, puts me off repurchasing. The white plastic pump on the foundation is really annoying me!

I thought the packaging for the powder would feel heavier and more luxurious but it feels very cheap. I wouldn't keep it in my handbag I'd be afraid it'd smash :(

I do want to try the flawless filter though and her lippys to see are they a's good as everyone says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I thought the packaging for the powder would feel heavier and more luxurious but it feels very cheap. I wouldn't keep it in my handbag I'd be afraid it'd smash :(

I do want to try the flawless filter though and her lippys to see are they a's good as everyone says

I was very disappointed with the CT Magic Concealer - the packaging was just nonsense. It actively took away from the product and also it seemed like it was a contrived way of only giving a small amount of product versus more traditional concealer tubes.

I do sometimes get my makeup done at the CT counter as its €35 for an appointment which is redeemable against product. I've mostly bought the Magic Foundation, but there are some products I might try next time. Generally I've found the lipsticks/liners good. One product that I didnt like when they used it on me was the setting powder with the shimmer in it. I think it just made me feel shiney and a bit like using a highlighter all over your face rather than applying it to targeted areas and it all just felt a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Have started to use the catrice light correcting serum primer instead of foundation, and good god it’s amazing. €4.95 and perfect for the days you don’t want to cake yourself. I used candlelight. It’s a little on the dark side but looks beautiful blended in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Murad clarity control - love this product its calmed my skin right down after it took a bashing out in bad weather
    Fenty foundation - I want to love it but i don't. They did colour match me but it looks like im wearing a white mask
    Fenty contour stick thing - I like this
    NYX Worth The Hype - worth the price, made my lashes long but sadly as I suspected it smudges with a lot of wear or bad weather
    Loreal paradis mascara - As above but actually copes with bad weather and doesnt smudge.

2 cheapo mascaras :)

I've recently started wearing mascara again after a long period of lash extensions, so I've been out of the mascara game and didnt know what was good.

Based on Boards, I bought Catrice Glam Doll fasle lash effect which is less that €5 and pretty good. Small, firm lean wand which reminded me a bit of benefit They're Real from a few years back. Very tidy and good for bottom lashes if thats your bag.

Secondly, based on a recommendation in real life, I bought Essence Princess False Lash effect, again under €5. This has a much more bristley wand which i tend to prefer. Gives great volume, would defo recommend for the price.

I also bought a super cheap and frankly ****ty mascara from natural collection in boots -I left the house without putting my mascara on (I'm out of the habit) so just got something to tide me over. It was only about €3 but a pure waste of money, felt horrible (dry, chalky) on my lashes and didnt look great either. Straight in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This is probably a long shot but does anyone know of a product similar to the glitters in the Huda Nude Obsessions pallet?
    I'm obsessed with them and would hate to have to repurchase the entire pallet just for those shades when they run out.

They are very finely milled and can only be applied with a flat micro fibre brush. They are in no way similar to the ingot glitter pigments, but I've heard the inglot sparkle dust might be a good dupe?

Anyone have any suggestions for similar products?

Edit: Anyone ever try the MAC Holographic Glitters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I recently picked up the new maybelline urban cover foundation. I absolutely love it, medium buildable cover, dewy finish. Reminds of the the it cosmetics cc cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just treated myself to Mac lipstick in twig, lipliner in Spice and Nars bronzer in Laguna using the paddys day promo code on Asos. Havent got them yet obviously but I hope their good. Anyone have any of them? Worth the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Just treated myself to Mac lipstick in twig, lipliner in Spice and Nars bronzer in Laguna using the paddys day promo code on Asos. Havent got them yet obviously but I hope their good. Anyone have any of them? Worth the money?

Love Laguna, and Spice is great for mixing and matching with different tones of nude lip!

SozBbz wrote: »
    I also bought a super cheap and frankly ****ty mascara from natural collection in boots -I left the house without putting my mascara on (I'm out of the habit) so just got something to tide me over. It was only about €3 but a pure waste of money, felt horrible (dry, chalky) on my lashes and didnt look great either. Straight in the bin.

Hate natural collection, ive bought a few products over the years like a face powder, a blush, mascara and always hated their products, dont know how they managed to get a blush wrong of all things. Dont know anyone who uses their stuff. How are they still in business and Seventeen is gone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Twig is one of my all time favourites and probably only one of the only lipsticks I've ever used right to the end

Twig is one of my all time favourites and probably only one of the only lipsticks I've ever used right to the end

Ive wanted it for ages, it looks gorgeous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question probably but has anyone here used Dove gradual tanner?
    I picked it up because I have a wedding next weekend, but I haven't got round to using it yet - how many applications do ye reckon it would take to take me from Casper levels of pale to "alive but not full-on tanned" territory?
    Also, do I need to use a mitt to apply it or is it enough to just wash hands thoroughly after use?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

dee_mc wrote: »
    Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question probably but has anyone here used Dove gradual tanner?
    Also, do I need to use a mitt to apply it or is it enough to just wash hands thoroughly after use? Thanks!
    Been a while since I used this and nearly sure it's reformulated now but I used to do 2-3 applications.. will really depend on how it takes but I used not see a difference after the first go. Didn't use a mitt either just a good scrub of the hands after!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I picked it up because I have a wedding next weekend, but I haven't got round to using it yet - how many applications do ye reckon it would take to take me from Casper levels of pale to "alive but not full-on tanned" territory?
    Also, do I need to use a mitt to apply it or is it enough to just wash hands thoroughly after use?
    Thanks!
    It would probably take 2 or 3 applications. Put a light even layer on each night to build it up to your desired level and check each morning for any missed spots. I would normally just use my hands with a gradual but give them a good wash straight away after with soap/handwash, scrubbing well around the finger tips and nails.

Thanks!

I use it and have done for years.

I'm fairly fair skinned but I buy the dark version. I very rarely wear proper fake tan any more. I much prefer this as it gives me the look you describe - alive, but not tango'd.

I'd probably do 2 layers personally for a discernible difference. I've never used a mitt, I just wash the palms of my hands afterwards and buff dry with a slightly damp towel. I also buff any areas where product may gather and overdevelop such as knees, elbows, wrists etc.

Its a great product as its subtle enough that you don't need too much precision in application (although it is still possible to make a mess if you're very slapdash!)

Love twig and laguna! It's been a while since I used them but I completely finished them when i had them :) never tried spice but u can't go wrong with mac lip liners imo. Enjoy!

I was away for my birthday this weekend so decided to treat myself. I bought in the airport the following; (they also had a good deal on too when you buy a few products of any brand you get an additional 20% off something like that!)

mac soar lipstick (tried once looks a little dark on me but a nice cool mauve shade), benefit gimme brow (used this numerous times so needed a new one), estee lauder double wear foundation (old favourite, hadn't worn it in a while but I love it), mac teddy eyeliner (don't normally wear eyeliner but I wanted to branch out a little and this colour looks nice- a bronze brown with gold shimmer), giorgio armani power fabric concealer- haven't tried yet!

Then in Selfridges I bought nars radiant longwear foundation, Ct filmstar bronze and glow and pillow talk lippy- haven't tried these yet but will report back. (Packaging seems a little better on these Ct products compared to the powder!)

Excessive amount of makeup in one weekend i know but these will see me through the year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just found a small tube of St Tropez gradual tanner in the drawer where I keep my spare cleansing pads and toothpaste! So I'll give that a shot over the next couple of nights.
    Picked up an Essence lipstick in Penneys today - lovely texture, sheer yet very pigmented. I don't like matte, glossy, shimmer or cream finishes so decided to stick with a cheapy seeing as most of my lipstick purchases end up in the bin after one or two uses! It's this formulation https://www.essence.eu/ie/products/lips/lipstick/e/product/colour-up-shine-on-lipstick-06/ although the colour I got - a strong hot pink shade - is not listed here.
    Also grabbed a new waterproof mascara as I've a wedding coming up and I will cry https://www.essence.eu/ie/products/eyes/mascara/e/product/get-big-lashes-volume-boost-waterproof-mascara/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Just found a small tube of St Tropez gradual tanner in the drawer where I keep my spare cleansing pads and toothpaste! So I'll give that a shot over the next couple of nights.
    Picked up an Essence lipstick in Penneys today - lovely texture, sheer yet very pigmented. I don't like matte, glossy, shimmer or cream finishes so decided to stick with a cheapy seeing as most of my lipstick purchases end up in the bin after one or two uses! It's this formulation https://www.essence.eu/ie/products/lips/lipstick/e/product/colour-up-shine-on-lipstick-06/ although the colour I got - a strong hot pink shade - is not listed here.
    Also grabbed a new waterproof mascara as I've a wedding coming up and I will cry https://www.essence.eu/ie/products/eyes/mascara/e/product/get-big-lashes-volume-boost-waterproof-mascara/

Lol, I'm so you!!! :):rolleyes:

Advertisement