Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have bought a few No. 7 brushes 'cause I've gotten so many 7.50 off vouchers but tbh I don't think they're up to much. The blusher brush is absolutely awful - it sheds like nothing I have ever seen before. As for the eye shadow brush, I'm not a fan. I find it too stiff and therefore difficult to work with.

The foundation brush is good though! It's nice and soft. Overall, I don't think I'll be investing in any more, even with money off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Novella wrote: »
    I have bought a few No. 7 brushes 'cause I've gotten so many 7.50 off vouchers but tbh I don't think they're up to much. The blusher brush is absolutely awful - it sheds like nothing I have ever seen before. As for the eye shadow brush, I'm not a fan. I find it too stiff and therefore difficult to work with.

The foundation brush is good though! It's nice and soft. Overall, I don't think I'll be investing in any more, even with money off!
    I totally agree about the no.7 brushes.

I have the following brushes, all of which are never used, luckily I got them all for free.

Eye and contour brush

B1hYg2kKGrHqVh8EqqEGRffBMctpj2OYw_12.jpg

Kabuki brush - sheds like theres no tomorrow and feels scratchy

dscf1166f.jpg

No.7 Precision Eyeliner brush

10108451-500x500.jpg

That precision eyeliner brush is just painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Giselle wrote: »
    Its really good, but its even better when you use a decent sized muslin square. That cloth - and only one? - is WAY too small. :)

Yea it's going to get manky fairly quick! Going to get some more in Tesco. I think it was on here I read that they have some in the baby aisle?

Bought this Catrice gel eyeliner in Silver Shuttle and eyeliner brush today, I've only tried their nail varnish before so looking forward to trying these out:)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzdm5NSBEjbQCxEDsYFQqDTQ2lp91f4u5Wg1NdXG_inx_zNSZxBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I totally agree about the no.7 brushes.

I have the following brushes, all of which are never used, luckily I got them all for free.

Kabuki brush - sheds like theres no tomorrow and feels scratchy

This is the only No7 brush I have and it put me off them for good. It is horrific and sheds more than my cat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Really need new brushes so went to get these on ELF but they are not available yet.Hopefully they will be good when I do get them though :D

Just wondering if anyone knows if these brushes are any good? They're not in stock at the moment so can't get them yet anyway, but if anyone has any other recommendations I'd love to hear them :) Defintely cant stretch to MAC brushes though :o

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Just wondering if anyone knows if these brushes are any good? They're not in stock at the moment so can't get them yet anyway, but if anyone has any other recommendations I'd love to hear them :) Defintely cant stretch to MAC brushes though :o

I have ordered them and they were dispatched yesterday so I can give you my first impressions when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I bought a few different shampoos and conditioners a few months ago and posted here when I got them but I never updated with reviews.

First of all was the Clairol shimmer lights (purple toning) shampoo and conditioner, I absolutely loved the shampoo but my hair is no longer blonde so I don't use it anymore, made my hair feel absolutely gorgeous though.

I also bought Joico K pak shampoo and conditioner because I thought my hair needed a pick me up after bleaching, it's very highly rated for damaged hair but I hated it, it made my hair feel extremely unhealthy and brittle. I know it's like a protein treatment but i've used protein treatments in the past and thought they were great, this was just horrible, I wouldn't recommend it at all unless your hair is damaged all over.

I suppose my main problem with my hair is after I bleached it 95% of my hair didn't have any damage but 5% of it did and I stupidly bought a shampoo/conditioner hoping to repair that small amount even though I didn't suit the rest of my hair.

I also got L'Oréal Professionnel Serie Expert Absolut Repair Cellular Repairing Conditioner, it's ok but I hated the smell. Again I don't think my hair was damaged enough to use it.

I got the Redken hair cleansing cream (it's a clarifying shampoo) and it is amazing.

The last conditioner I bought was Osmo intensive deep repair mask, again it's a deep conditioner but this one I think is fab and I use it after the Redken cleansing shampoo, always recommended here on boards and cheap too so it's fab!

I'm on the look out for a nice volumizing shampoo if any of you have any recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

I find ELF Face brushes verrrry itchy on my skin but their eye brushes are good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

xentandarklotionabsolut.jpg

I tried the Xen tan dark lotion absolute luxe for the first time last night, just on my face and neck, I was a bit worried because there is no colour guide and I have a very specific way of putting tan on my face (I don't put it on the bridge of my nose, over my lip or around my eyes) but the tan worked fab, I really love it!

It's not dark on me but no tan ever is and It's supposed to last for a 7-10 days, I'm not expecting it to last that long on me because most tans last for barely 2 days on me but I'm hoping it will last at least 3 or 4 days!

Oh and it smells absolutely gorgeous too :)

• Advertisement

I ordered loads of brushes from elf and they came yesterday. I've only used a few so far but my first impressions are that I'm not overly keen on the stipple brush. I don't think the bristles are compacted enough (if that makes sense) so it's kind of hard for the brush to disperse product. I used it with foundation and wasn't mad about the application - very light. Also doesn't feel great on the skin.

I do really like the Studio powder brush though!

I have ordered them and they were dispatched yesterday so I can give you my first impressions when they arrive.

Great, thanks for that :)

Ha ha once again Boardsies recommendations have cost me money, cant wait to try it tomorrow

123901000399?$PSPMedium$

Bought this foundation brush to try until I buy a proper set of brushes, hope its good, was pricey enough for me!

[Embedded Image Removed]

Got these in Boots today, they are on a 3for2 offer at the mo. Love the blemish stick for spots!

witchblemishgel4.jpg

!CD!3IBQCGk~$(KGrHqZ,!jgE0vLevnN-BNNJOqh5Bg~~0_12.JPG

5511638759_6faae3956c.jpg

7Love this for keeping my lips soft and moisturised!

blistex-relief-cream-formerly-blisteze--healing.jpg

Photos from Google.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The studio brushes are very good - I love the stipple brush for putting foundation on :)

Does anyone here know what beauty stands are in Dunnes Stores in Liffey Valley?

Also, are they all together or split up?

Does anyone here know what beauty stands are in Dunnes Stores in Liffey Valley?

Also, are they all together or split up?

They have essence, Rimmel, Catrice (as far as I know!). They are all together, kind of towards the back of the store, close to the lingerie section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I had to buy another thing of e.l.f. tinted moisturizer (in Porcelain) yesterday because my other one was empty after a month.

AAAADA7imc4AAAAAAX14tA.jpg?v=1314909121000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

My ELF brushes arrived today!

Haven't had a chance to play with them yet, so won't give you an opinion just yet. Although from brushing them over my hand and messing with them I haven't noticed any shed or roughness. Happy days :)

I got the Studio Stippling brush

ELF_Studio_Stipple_Brush.jpg

Studio Powder brush

84003_powder_brush_v2_copy.jpg

Bamboo Foundation brush

6813_large.jpg

Bamboo blending eye brush - which has a stupidly short handle! It's only about 2/3rd as tall as the foundation brush

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_93TwIuVUtx9a76VNI54MjdMpjbug5Gmn7_rqHRyKDjXJpzkx

Regular line eye crease brush. I really love the blending brush from this line so I figure for 75c I can risk this one ha.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5z7UjsxX3-IiJhapivo9jS4w56hEXEA-FQpcP17Yf_K046fxV

Regular line blending brush x2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmSH38u6CkhCZbDtVsA2rawQ0acOORlZ2GL0opgkGwVkIAOrYl1w

Plus a brush holder, I got sick of storing my brushes in my 21st birthday mug :o

Let me know what you think of the stippling brush! I don't like it, but so many other people rave about it so I'm wondering if I'm alone!

• Advertisement

Will do :)

oil-200x200.jpg

VO5 Miracle Concentrate with Argan Oil.
    I love this stuff. I had a black colour stripped out of my hair about two weeks ago and I have balayage (basically highlights on my ends) so my hair was a wee bit dried out. This makes my hair so silky again. It says apply it to wet hair and blow dry but tbh, a few times I've applied it to my hair while it was wet and then just went to bed and washed it out in the morning. I also sometimes use it to smooth my ends when my hair is dry. I really like it anyway and think it's well worth the money (about five euro, I think).

Vo5_Oomph_Powder_7G.jpg

VO5 Give Me Texture, Instant Oomph Powder.
    I have really fine, straight hair but I want to have thick, wavy hair so I pretty much buy every texturising product there is, or anything that promises to add volume! :pac: This is just a powder that you pop into your hair. It does make your hair bigger so I like it for that but I found it made my hair feel horrible to touch. I am really touchy person when it comes to my hair so I hated that. Definitely adds volume though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Bit of a Boots haul.

NIVEA-VISAGE-Natural-Beauty-Radiance-Boosting-Moisturiser-50ml_T.jpg

Already very impressed with this moisturiser, lovely feel to it, not too greasy or anything, lovely sheen when it's on and very moisturising so does exactly what it says on the tin.

563544_280x210.jpg

Bourjois Touch Illuminatrice. Looks gorgeous, can't wait to use it.

TERO+small.jpg

VERY impressed with this, goes on very well and really brightens the eye area and hides dark circles.

236829_l.jpg

I'm on the hunt for a really pale powder so I picked this up in Transparent, was only €3. I'm finding Rimmel Transparent a bit too dark, and I finally found a paler one! Haven't tried it properly yet though.

4117fNPiybL._AA300_.jpg

I also bought this in Truly Fair in case the Collection 2000 one is crap. Has a bit of a strong smell which is odd, and might be a bit dark. Might combine the two powders I suppose.

778083576_125.jpg

This prestige eyeshadow in lilac. It's loose and has a long typical eye shadow brush, kind of like a mascara set-up. Looks really easy to apply, lovely shade.

sizeimage.aspx?client=71086&image=Brown_ec2.jpg&height=300&width=300&colour=FFFFFF&offer=0

This Barry M super-soft eye crayon in No.2, Brown. Only tried it on my hand so far but it's easy to use and the brown has a gorgeous metallic glint to it.

Vo5_Miracle_Concentrate_50Ml.jpg

I also bought this, after vaguely remembering hearing good things. Excited to see some results.

10097573?wid=280&hei=343&op_sharpen=1

This too, in case I'm not happy with the V05.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Toad-Girl

I've been reading this thread for a while, thought i'd add my own recent buys! :D

MAC Sheertone Shimmer Blush in Dollymix.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7Uf-AT_1Qp9zmdNokSb4LavK9bv2De1pMpJpIQeNGZ9PJPJzmBV11FW0y

I was in desperate need of a good blush, and also had a brown thomas voucher burning a hole in my pocket so decided to go mac. Over all I like it, but it's very pink, would have preferred a paler one for using during the day! Still love it for night, and would definitely buy mac blusher again but maybe not this shade.

Bourjois So Laque Ultrashine in Orange Creation

esmalte_naranja.jpg

I love this! A bit oranger then the bottle would suggest, but still not far enough away to warrant complaint! Promises to last seven days but to be honest for me it really didn't. I think my application may be to blame more than the product though. Overall very good product and will definitely be investing in some other shades.

Essence Eyebrow Stylist Set

EyebrowStylistSet_18.png

I was in two minds about whether to buy a gosh eyebrow palette, up to now I've just been using the brow wax which is included in Benefit's smokin' eyes set, so decided to try this for a cheap alternative. I can't say i'm that impressed, it comes in two shades, one too dark, and one too light. And I say this with black hair! Going to try a mixture of the two before I give up entirely. I have to say though, at less than 3euro it definitely will do if you're short of cash or just like a bargain.

Gosh Defining Brow Gel

gosh+brow+gel.jpg

I love this! Having tried the smashbox brow-tech I wanted to finally start to take care of my own, and I have to say this product was every bit as good as the gel part of the smashbox one. I may just return to gosh for their eyeshadow palette, if I don't warm to my essence one.

Isadora Jelly Kiss 50 Rainbow

isadora_jelly_kiss_lip_rub_teas1.jpg

As a lipstick, not so much, as a lip balm or over a coloured lipstick, excellent. Makes my lips feel so soft and adds just a hint of shimmer.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

heya!

Its been a while since i posted! so here goes....

Got the ud naked palette - only using 'naked' and 'sidecar' really need to experiment more!
    Danni Minogue False Lash effect mascara and fibre lash - couldnt be more unimpressed but to be honest think it would be fab on someone with long lashes anyway. mine are of the short and stubby variety!

Mary-Lou Manizer - a bit white so find myself putting bronzer over but great for brightening.

My friend gave me benefits hello flawless in honey cause it doesnt suit for but im really impressed. im really pale and this is much darker than id normally choose for a powder but im loving the colour and coverage.

Replaced my estee lauder DW in ecru last week, had been trying cheaper brands recently and had to go back to the ESDW. They very kindly gave me a heap of free samples including a pretty decent sized foaming face wash and day wear moisturiser. Dont know how ill go back to my normal brands when they run out :( Also bought an eye pencil there - brilliant!

Got they're real mascara from benefit also...not impressed. Nothing beats volume million lashes from loreal for me!

Lost my ud black liquid eyeliner and replaced it with the essence one. To be honest i cant tell the difference.

Think thats near enough it...

E x

Picked up this today for €2 in Heatons.

Dove-Body-Silk-Cream-300ml_S.jpg

Never used it before, hope it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

3095830.png

fa48dfc813d36a4af5894ca08a1c6341.jpg

i only got the brown tube of this stuff.

3 for 2 on special offer in Boots :D Hope they're good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Champneys-Spa-Treatments-Citrus-Blush-Body-Butter-300ml.jpg

Forgot to put this in the post above! Heard good things about it so fingers crossed :D Smells a bit sweet though...

My ELF brushes arrived today!

Haven't had a chance to play with them yet, so won't give you an opinion just yet. Although from brushing them over my hand and messing with them I haven't noticed any shed or roughness. Happy days :)

I got the Studio Stippling brush

I'm not 100% on this yet. I don't not like it, and for the price it's very good but IMO opinion it doesn't really compare to the MAC187. I find it's too soft. The reason the 187 works so well is because the black bristles are stiff and control the white ones while you buff and swirl the product, the ELF one it seems like white and black bristles are of the same stiffness, there's no extra stability that you get with the 187. I also lost a whole load of foundation when I used it, normally I use one pump and that does my whole face, one pump with this brush only got the bottom 2/3rds of my face done. Not all that pleased with that, I also find that when I wash it it doesn't hold it's shape very well, although that may be due the fact that it was squashed out of shape when I bought it..

Love love LOVE!!

Perfect blusher brush, if you want a wash of colour, which I prefer! Super soft, super easy to use and clean.The flat top gives a really air brushed appearance, doesn't take up too much product but distributes the colour fabulously!

Quite like this one too, application isn't as quick as with a duo-fibre brush but that's to be expected I suppose. Soft, sturdy handle, feels like it's very durable. I also really like that when it has foundation on it, it doesn't look dirty. I hate that with duo-fibre, they make my make up brush holder look filthy if I don't clean them right away.
    Bamboo blending eye brush - which has a stupidly short handle! It's only about 2/3rd as tall as the foundation brush

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_93TwIuVUtx9a76VNI54MjdMpjbug5Gmn7_rqHRyKDjXJpzkx

Stupidly short handle is stupid. I like the brush head, blends really well, is soft, easy enough to clean and is nice and fluffy so picks up product really well and distributes it evenly. I'm not mad on the handle at all, it feels unbalanced when it's in your hand and I need to keep a firm grip on it when I use it to prevent it tipping forward. The short handle is way too light, there's no weight to the brush at all which I don't like.

Regular line eye crease brush. I really love the blending brush from this line so I figure for 75c I can risk this one ha.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5z7UjsxX3-IiJhapivo9jS4w56hEXEA-FQpcP17Yf_K046fxV

Even though it was only 75c, I'd still count this as a waste of money. Maybe I'll get some use out of it for applying heavy shadow under my eye but I reckon that would be about it.

Love these, as always. It always takes one or two washes before they stop shedding but I really really like them, and now I have three so no need to be trying to frantically clean them with a babywipe when I change colours mid-way through doing my eye make up!
    Plus a brush holder, I got sick of storing my brushes in my 21st birthday mug :o

This is savage! It's much bigger than I expected! Very sleek looking, stable and sturdy and doesn't seem to hold stains or marks. I was going to buy the big one because I wasn't sure if the small one would hold all my brushes (I have around 25/30) but it does, no problem at all, and I can fit all my lashes in their boxes, and lash glue in it too! And it's not so deep as that you loose things down the bottom of it like tweezers etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Has anybody tried the new Garnier B.B. Miracle Skin Perfecter cream?

Is it any good? I have pale skin and was thinking about using the light one.

Advertisement