Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yesnow

dee_mc wrote: »
    Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question probably but has anyone here used Dove gradual tanner?
    I picked it up because I have a wedding next weekend, but I haven't got round to using it yet - how many applications do ye reckon it would take to take me from Casper levels of pale to "alive but not full-on tanned" territory?
    Also, do I need to use a mitt to apply it or is it enough to just wash hands thoroughly after use?
    Thanks!

If you use the med-dark colour only 1 for a fairly natural look and 2 for more toward your typical tan. I’ve noticed it doesn’t take as well on the legs though so maybe 2 applications of the legs and 1 everywhere else or 3 on the legs and 2 everywhere else if that makes sense. I’ve used the light-med one aswell but the amount of product needed for any visible difference was comical in my own opinion and waste of money compared to the darker version. The product does t build up as nicely as you might expect if you’re showering then applying over several showers it can come off in weird patches. Because of this is you want your extra layer I would apply the first one just after shower, wait a couple hours for the lotion to sink into the skin then apply another layer before bed. Be aware this probably won’t give the “natural” look you’re likely going for but it’s just something to be aware of. One layer in the dark definitely gives a lovely natural look in my opinion. In either colour there’s no mitt needed and I would not wash my hands “thoroughly” at least not with soap like with other tans as it doesn’t take to then in the same fashion as your typical tan.

Hope this helps! Overall I love this tan for everyday wear and despite it already being fairly cheap it’s normally half price in my local Supervalu so I buy it fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

yesnow wrote: »
    If you use the med-dark colour only 1 for a fairly natural look and 2 for more toward your typical tan. I’ve noticed it doesn’t take as well on the legs though so maybe 2 applications of the legs and 1 everywhere else or 3 on the legs and 2 everywhere else if that makes sense. I’ve used the light-med one aswell but the amount of product needed for any visible difference was comical in my own opinion and waste of money compared to the darker version. The product does t build up as nicely as you might expect if you’re showering then applying over several showers it can come off in weird patches. Because of this is you want your extra layer I would apply the first one just after shower, wait a couple hours for the lotion to sink into the skin then apply another layer before bed. Be aware this probably won’t give the “natural” look you’re likely going for but it’s just something to be aware of. One layer in the dark definitely gives a lovely natural look in my opinion. In either colour there’s no mitt needed and I would not wash my hands “thoroughly” at least not with soap like with other tans as it doesn’t take to then in the same fashion as your typical tan.

Hope this helps! Overall I love this tan for everyday wear and despite it already being fairly cheap it’s normally half price in my local Supervalu so I buy it fairly often.

Thanks for that! Yes I picked it up in Supervalu for half price, great value!
    I got the pale version.
    Last night I did a layer of the St Tropez gradual and it looks gorgeous on my shoulders, chest and arms but quite patchy on my legs. I also managed to half drop the tube as I was removing the foil lid, then squeezed it in the process of trying to save it and ended up with tan all over my wardrobe, handbag, makeup bag, bin and my brand new floor mat, but that's a whole other story!
    Planning to top up with the Dove one tonight on my legs to see if I can get rid of the patchy look, and if it looks really desperate I'll just chuck on a pair of dark tights. Life's too short!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sorry if I'm a little off thread - but how long should I allow for getting my make up done by a beautician?

I'm away at a wedding in a different part of the country next weekend and I've my hair and makeup booked in the spa/beauty parlor at the hotel. I had them booked well in advance before I knew the time of the wedding, turns out the wedding is a bit earlier than I had expected and I've makeup booked for 10:30 (the only time I could get). Wedding at 12:30, we probably should be at the house by 11:30 (family wedding) and it's a 20 mins drive away.

Part of me thinks I'd be too tight for time getting my makeup done and should just do it myself before my hair appointment (at 9:45).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm a little off thread - but how long should I allow for getting my make up done by a beautician?

I'm away at a wedding in a different part of the country next weekend and I've my hair and makeup booked in the spa/beauty parlor at the hotel. I had them booked well in advance before I knew the time of the wedding, turns out the wedding is a bit earlier than I had expected and I've makeup booked for 10:30 (the only time I could get). Wedding at 12:30, we probably should be at the house by 11:30 (family wedding) and it's a 20 mins drive away.

Part of me thinks I'd be too tight for time getting my makeup done and should just do it myself before my hair appointment (at 9:45).

It could be too tight, you'd usually need to allow an hour. It might not take that long but you'll just be stressing if they do.

Ring the salon. Ask them if there is any chance they can move things around and if not, will they do an express make-up application as you will need to be out at 11am.

I wouldn't do it yourself before your hair appointment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Just treated myself to Mac lipstick in twig, lipliner in Spice and Nars bronzer in Laguna using the paddys day promo code on Asos. Havent got them yet obviously but I hope their good. Anyone have any of them? Worth the money?

Another Twig fan here! I find it can pull a little cool/grey on me, sometimes I use a warm lipliner underneath and that seems to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Thanks for that! Yes I picked it up in Supervalu for half price, great value!
    I got the pale version.
    Last night I did a layer of the St Tropez gradual and it looks gorgeous on my shoulders, chest and arms but quite patchy on my legs. I also managed to half drop the tube as I was removing the foil lid, then squeezed it in the process of trying to save it and ended up with tan all over my wardrobe, handbag, makeup bag, bin and my brand new floor mat, but that's a whole other story!
    Planning to top up with the Dove one tonight on my legs to see if I can get rid of the patchy look, and if it looks really desperate I'll just chuck on a pair of dark tights. Life's too short!

Which version of the dove tan did you purchase dee_mc? The one in the squeezy inverted tube (dermaspa) or the bottle (visible glow)?

Which version of the dove tan did you purchase dee_mc? The one in the squeezy inverted tube (dermaspa) or the bottle (visible glow)?

I got the dermaspa in the "fair" shade.
    It actually went on nicely, smelt quite good (until it developed, then yuck!), dried surprisingly quickly and developed nicely - my knees and feet looked a bit tangoed first thing this morning but after a shower they look great! Delighted with how it developed on my arms and wrists - no tide marks - but I haven't been brave enough to check my elbows yet!

It could be too tight, you'd usually need to allow an hour. It might not take that long but you'll just be stressing if they do.

Ring the salon. Ask them if there is any chance they can move things around and if not, will they do an express make-up application as you will need to be out at 11am.

I wouldn't do it yourself before your hair appointment.
    Thanks, yes I think I'll just ask them to do a very quick look.
    I've done my own make up before for weddings (and it has come out alright actually) but it is nice to sit down and relax and have someone else do it for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks, yes I think I'll just ask them to do a very quick look.
    I've done my own make up before for weddings (and it has come out alright actually) but it is nice to sit down and relax and have someone else do it for a change!

Could you arrive 10 minutes later (say 11.40) and then ask the MUA to keep the appointment to 50 minutes? They do usually give 1 hour per appointment, but unless you're asking for drag queen makeup, I'm sure most could do a solid job in 40/50 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I bought IT Cosmetics CC Cream last week. I got the fair light colour, and it is a bit dark for their 2nd lightest shade. From testing it though, the light would have washed me out completely.
    It's quite weird - it is a lot thicker than any other CC Cream I have done, more like a foundation, and it has a lot of coverage. Any redness on my skin has been concealed by using this, and it does have a nice blurring effect on pores. I only have to use a pump or two to get full coverage over my whole face, and while it doesn't cake, it doesn't last the full day if used by itself.

• Advertisement

Went to Aldi today to but their Oats & Honey serum which is on special buy. I saw it on The Beautiful Truths insta last week and while it was a paid post, I think she's honest enough and I'd trust that she wouldn't bang on about something she didnt like.

Plus it was €4.95 which is for nothing really. It also comes in a 30ml bottle which means I can bring it with me when im flying with hand luggage only. I don't think it would be a replacement for my image products, but sometimes just a nice gentle moisturising product is nice amougst all those active ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I bought a few Mac lip products recently; soar lipliner, velvet teddy and mehr lipsticks. Will hopefully get to try them out this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Mehr is my longstanding all time favourite Mac lipstick. I think I'm on either my 4th or 5th one now, I always come back to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If anyone else gets highlights and suffers from product build up as well as the odd green tinge in your hair from crap water, (this has been the bane of my life for about two years now and I’ve tried eeeeverything) I’ve finally found a product that eliminates all the crap while still keeping your hair lightweight and fluffy and it really restores your colour! Anyway it’s solar shampoo by system professionals, it’s in an orange bottle. I’m not sure if it’s suitable for use with extensions but I’ve been using it with them and so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Mehr is also one of my all time favourite lipsticks. Love it!

I bought 3 Mac lipsticks last week, Modesty, Politely Pink and Faux. They came with a free gift which included the lipstick Twig which I had just bought a few weeks ago!
    Also bought So Sue lipkit in the shade My Ex Calling and although the colour is fab, I found it bled very badly within seconds, there was even some on the tip of my nose however it got there.
    Think I need Mehr now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

I bought 3 Mac lipsticks last week, Modesty, Politely Pink and Faux. They came with a free gift which included the lipstick Twig which I had just bought a few weeks ago!
    Also bought So Sue lipkit in the shade My Ex Calling and although the colour is fab, I found it bled very badly within seconds, there was even some on the tip of my nose however it got there.
    Think I need Mehr now :pac:

Nice! Don't forget that Mac in BT give a free lipstick for 6 empties

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

cee_jay wrote: »
    I bought IT Cosmetics CC Cream last week. I got the fair light colour, and it is a bit dark for their 2nd lightest shade. From testing it though, the light would have washed me out completely.
    It's quite weird - it is a lot thicker than any other CC Cream I have done, more like a foundation, and it has a lot of coverage. Any redness on my skin has been concealed by using this, and it does have a nice blurring effect on pores. I only have to use a pump or two to get full coverage over my whole face, and while it doesn't cake, it doesn't last the full day if used by itself.

And this has completely broken my skin out - my chin has erupted. I haven't changed anything else in my routine, and I am not PMSing. Didn't use it today, and will leave it aside for a while - I have 2 weddings to attend over the next few weeks and would like my skin to be clear for those. Will try it again after those to see if it is definitely that.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Went to Aldi today to but their Oats & Honey serum which is on special buy. I saw it on The Beautiful Truths insta last week and while it was a paid post, I think she's honest enough and I'd trust that she wouldn't bang on about something she didnt like.

Plus it was €4.95 which is for nothing really. It also comes in a 30ml bottle which means I can bring it with me when im flying with hand luggage only. I don't think it would be a replacement for my image products, but sometimes just a nice gentle moisturising product is nice amougst all those active ingredients.

So...would not recommend this product at all. Will probably end up in the bin.

It really reminded me of an event I went to with Trilogy a few years ago where we each made our own "serum" from natural products. It was a gimmicky activity at a press launch (I was there as a guest of a friend).

It didnt make my skin feel hydrated at all, it feels wet as it goes on, but my skin felt dry and tight within minutes. I had to put on another product over it just to feel comfortable.

The next morning my skin looked really flaky, and I had a mild heart attack. I don't normally have dry skin, so this was very unusual. I looked as if I'd had a peal! It turned out, it wasn't my skin, it was just the serum product had dried in in flaked off.

Absolute waste of money -thankfully only €5.

Thanks for the update SozBbz - I bought it on Thurs but I haven't used it yet as I had a wedding at the weekend and didn't want to try a new product. And also because I'm nearly finished The Ordinary's Hyaluronic acid and was planning on trying this after.
    The dry and tightness is like what I experience after using TO Hyaluronic acid but is fine once I apply moisturiser.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update SozBbz - I bought it on Thurs but I haven't used it yet as I had a wedding at the weekend and didn't want to try a new product. And also because I'm nearly finished The Ordinary's Hyaluronic acid and was planning on trying this after.
    The dry and tightness is like what I experience after using TO Hyaluronic acid but is fine once I apply moisturiser.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think when you try it.

To clarify, I've used TO Hylauronic (I don't really recall tightness with HO but all our skin is different, and typically I used it in conjunction with other things) and other products with active ingrediants, I use a few of Images Ageless range and also a cleanser from their MD range, so I'm very familiar with tightness caused by very active products.

This felt more like the tightness I'd feel if I got out of the shower having washed my face, but for some reason delayed putting any moisturiser or serum on my skin. It was almost like it dried away to nothing (other than flakiness). I just felt like it was an inferior product. Theres nothing active in this product, which obviously I knew, I was just hoping for something that felt hydrating and that was the opposite of my experience.

This felt more like the tightness I'd feel if I got out of the shower having washed my face, but for some reason delayed putting any moisturiser or serum on my skin. It was almost like it dried away to nothing (other than flakiness). I just felt like it was an inferior product. Theres nothing active in this product, which obviously I knew, I was just hoping for something that felt hydrating and that was the opposite of my experience.
    That's the kind of tightness I get after using TO Hyaluronic, but is grand after some moisturiser, I put it down to dehydrated skin.
    You have me curious now about the Aldi serum, I bought it cos oats and honey give the impression of being soothing and moisturising. And also cos I generally find Sinead from the Beautiful Truth to be well, truthful, in her reviews. But then again we all have different skin so what works for one might not work for another.

I'll revert....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Has anyone else gotten into the new Pixi toners?

I'm a fan of the Glow tonic, use it on and off for years now, and recently I'm loving the rose tonic for something calm and soothing, great for if your using other skincare with active ingredients or just want to give your skin a refresh.

I tried the retinol tonic but I'm not sure I like it, I think I prefer retinol in my serum.

I've just ordered the vitamin C and Milky Toner (I bought all the newer toners in 100ml first to try out!). I'm excited to see how they work for my skin!

Yeah I love the retinol tonic it’s doing wonders for my skin. My skin would usually be quite reactive so I’m pleasantly surprised at how well I’m tolerating it. I cleanse first and then use the tonic and apply hyaluronic acid straight after and then a thick moisturiser. Have to say I’m loving it. I read somewhere that your either a retinol lover or a glycolic lover and I wasn’t fond of the Pixi glycolic toner at all so I guess my skin prefers retinol.

That's the kind of tightness I get after using TO Hyaluronic, but is grand after some moisturiser, I put it down to dehydrated skin.
    You have me curious now about the Aldi serum, I bought it cos oats and honey give the impression of being soothing and moisturising. And also cos I generally find Sinead from the Beautiful Truth to be well, truthful, in her reviews. But then again we all have different skin so what works for one might not work for another.

I'll revert....

I'd the same thought process as you, just thought it sounded soothing and natural. I never really expected it to replace my Image products, but thought it might be a nice layer on occasion for added moisture/comfort.
    I typically like Sinead too so I do hope her review was in good faith (I was #influenced for sure) and not just because it was a paid post.

I'll be interested to hear if its just me who didnt like it, and how you get on. I might give my bottle to my mam or to a friend just to get another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

. I read somewhere that your either a retinol lover or a glycolic lover and I wasn’t fond of the Pixi glycolic toner at all so I guess my skin prefers retinol.

I never heard this before but it is the truth. I love me some retinol, and was never mad about glycolic. Love lactic acid though, so gentle and makes my skin glow.

So...would not recommend this product at all. Will probably end up in the bin.

It really reminded me of an event I went to with Trilogy a few years ago where we each made our own "serum" from natural products. It was a gimmicky activity at a press launch (I was there as a guest of a friend).

It didnt make my skin feel hydrated at all, it feels wet as it goes on, but my skin felt dry and tight within minutes. I had to put on another product over it just to feel comfortable.

The next morning my skin looked really flaky, and I had a mild heart attack. I don't normally have dry skin, so this was very unusual. I looked as if I'd had a peal! It turned out, it wasn't my skin, it was just the serum product had dried in in flaked off.

Absolute waste of money -thankfully only €5.

I always understood that you had to apply moisturiser immediately after serum to "seal it in" - rightly or wrongly, the way a facialist explained it to me was that lots of serums seem to be actives in a base of alcohol, which work by drying your skin out in such a way that it can better absorb the actives and whatever moisturiser you follow it with... now that might be b0llocks but it made sense to me!

I always understood that you had to apply moisturiser immediately after serum to "seal it in" - rightly or wrongly, the way a facialist explained it to me was that lots of serums seem to be actives in a base of alcohol, which work by drying your skin out in such a way that it can better absorb the actives and whatever moisturiser you follow it with... now that might be b0llocks but it made sense to me!

I've heard different schools of thought on this. The Skin Nerd for example says serums are the only important product, and that moisturisers are only douvets for the skin - they feel nice and comforting but are not that necessary.

The lady who I go to for microderm and peals gives guidance along the same lines. She's advised me to use serums only in summer and only use moisturisers when my skins feels particularly dry. I'd describe myself as combination skin. Shes a dermatology nurse practitioner and has improved my skin no end.

I currently have 3 different image serums that I switch between (Vital C, Iluma and Ageless), so its not like I've never used serums before. I've also previously used ones from kiehls, the ordinary and other brands. I use moisturiser here and there. I've just never tried a product that I felt so underwhelmed by - I mean its only €5 so ultimately who cares but I think I'll be sticking to what I know works from now on.

I'm inclined to think its just not a great product. I gave it to a friend yesterday just to see how she gets on, and am awaiting her feedback with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I picked up The Ordinary serum foundation at the weekend. It has a really nice shade range and was €7 in Arnotts. So far I'm really impressed. It's very runny to apply, more like a BB cream than anything. The coverage is very light but it's quite buildable and what surprised me was how well it lasted. I had it on without powder or setting spray for a whole day and it made it through intact (I have dry skin though, not sure how well it would do on oily skin). A really nice summer/holiday foundation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Re Aldi/ Lidl skincare, I might sound like a snob but never in a million years would I buy skincare from them, especially such blatant rip offs. For budget, the Ordinary is the way to go, I think

Advertisement