Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Re Aldi/ Lidl skincare, I might sound like a snob but never in a million years would I buy skincare from them, especially such blatant rip offs. For budget, the Ordinary is the way to go, I think

I doubt I will again - giving myself a slap on the wrist for being easily influenced. I don't think the Oats & Honey range is a dupe of anything in particular though, although Aldi definitely have form for sailing close to the wind on their branding.

While I like certain products from The Ordinary, I do find the lack of guidance they give confusing. So many single focus products, and the layering of them can be tricky - i find I'm never sure if I'm using the best possible combination, and tend to go back to Image which is less confusing but also I've been given advice around using various combinations.

I'm also eyeing up The Inkey List, which they've started stocking in Arnotts - has anyone tried it? Roughly the same pricepoint as The Ordinary but they seem less vague in their instructions as to how to use their products. My trouble is buying too much stuff though, and I don't actually need anymore skincare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

SozBbz wrote: »
    I doubt I will again - giving myself a slap on the wrist for being easily influenced. I don't think the Oats & Honey range is a dupe of anything in particular though, although Aldi definitely have form for sailing close to the wind on their branding.

While I like certain products from The Ordinary, I do find the lack of guidance they give confusing. So many single focus products, and the layering of them can be tricky - i find I'm never sure if I'm using the best possible combination, and tend to go back to Image which is less confusing but also I've been given advice around using various combinations.

I'm also eyeing up The Inkey List, which they've started stocking in Arnotts - has anyone tried it? Roughly the same pricepoint as The Ordinary but they seem less vague in their instructions as to how to use their products. My trouble is buying too much stuff though, and I don't actually need anymore skincare.

I really like The Inkey List hyaluronic acid, have used it every day since I got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Re Aldi/ Lidl skincare, I might sound like a snob but never in a million years would I buy skincare from them, especially such blatant rip offs. For budget, the Ordinary is the way to go, I think

With Aldi, it's hit and miss. I've spent the past 3 years saving for a mortgage so I had to give all the budget options a go and it was good fun! I wouldn't write all of the Aldi dupes off, some of my purchases have been excellent. Their glow tonic (dupe of the Pixi one) is top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im not sure if this counts - its more of a procedure than a product but it was a cosmetic purchase all the same.
    I had the Veinwave treatment yesterday on my face to treat Capillary veins. It's excellent, I can already see a massive reduction in my capillary veins, I have Rosacea so my cheeks, nose and chin are covered in them but after one treatment theyre reduced by roughly 80%, the esthetician did say that I will probably need a second treatment as some of the veins will come back but so far im delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Im not sure if this counts - its more of a procedure than a product but it was a cosmetic purchase all the same.
    I had the Veinwave treatment yesterday on my face to treat Capillary veins. It's excellent, I can already see a massive reduction in my capillary veins, I have Rosacea so my cheeks, nose and chin are covered in them but after one treatment theyre reduced by roughly 80%, the esthetician did say that I will probably need a second treatment as some of the veins will come back but so far im delighted.

This is something I might need, can I ask how much it cost?

• Advertisement

Icsics wrote: »
    This is something I might need, can I ask how much it cost?

It cost me 65 but its different prices depending where you go, ive seen places charge up to 500 for one session. Shop around a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can anyone recommend a serum/cream for the neck - I just recently noticed a few lines across my neck and I want to start nipping it in the bud now! I'm nearly 34 and I use NO.7 advanced protect and perfect night cream but I'm not sure if this is enough as an anti wrinkle cream for the face and neck?

Ye beauty experts in here might be able to advise! I don't want to be spending hundreds on a product but would pay up to 50e anyway I guess if I thought it was gonna be effective. Or maybe what I am using at the moment is ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

leahyl wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a serum/cream for the neck - I just recently noticed a few lines across my neck and I want to start nipping it in the bud now! I'm nearly 34 and I use NO.7 advanced protect and perfect night cream but I'm not sure if this is enough as an anti wrinkle cream for the face and neck?

Ye beauty experts in here might be able to advise! I don't want to be spending hundreds on a product but would pay up to 50e anyway I guess if I thought it was gonna be effective. Or maybe what I am using at the moment is ok?

So, not sure you can nip it in the bud no matter how expensive the cream. Aging can't be stopped, but you can make the best of it.

The big factors are;
      Genetics - nothing you can do here Smoking - dries your skin from the inside out SPF - needs to be daily, without fail, summer and winter Water - 2-3L per day, every day

I'd probably at a retinol based product if I were you. You need to manage your expectations regarding being able to erase lines that already exist.

SozBbz wrote: »
    So, not sure you can nip it in the bud no matter how expensive the cream. Aging can't be stopped, but you can make the best of it.

The big factors are;
      Genetics - nothing you can do here Smoking - dries your skin from the inside out SPF - needs to be daily, without fail, summer and winter Water - 2-3L per day, every day

I'd probably at a retinol based product if I were you. You need to manage your expectations regarding being able to erase lines that already exist.

Ah sure, I know that. I'm well aware that ageing can't be stopped but there are products that people use that might slow down the process a bit or at least reduce the appearance of fine lines etc. Perhaps I used the wrong turn of phrase.

Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just a first impressions on the Oats and Honey Aldi serum - I like it.

Curiosity got the better of me after the post by SozBbz so I've used it the past day or 2, morning and evening.

I first tried it Monday evening after taking off my makeup. I just applied the serum and nothing else. 2 pumps was plenty for my face, it took a minute to dry down and there was a slight feel of tightness which was not uncomfortable and soon passed. It didn't flake or anything. That night when going to bed, I put on the serum again and my usual night time moisturiser and the next morning my skin felt softer.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Ah sure, I know that. I'm well aware that ageing can't be stopped but there are products that people use that might slow down the process a bit or at least reduce the appearance of fine lines etc. Perhaps I used the wrong turn of phrase.

Thanks for the response.

I get what she's saying, there are no products that will reduce the signs of aging, slow it down or get rid of lines/wrinkles.
    Try something like Measotherapy, its expensive but the effects last ages and you can get top up treatments which are cheaper than the first initial treatment (in some clinics).
    They inject vitamins, minerals and hyaluronic acid into the skin, its not botox or filler but it gives your skin a lovely plump, hydrated look to it.
    The other option is just botox and filler.

I get what she's saying, there are no products that will reduce the signs of aging, slow it down or get rid of lines/wrinkles.
    Try something like Measotherapy, its expensive but the effects last ages and you can get top up treatments which are cheaper than the first initial treatment (in some clinics).
    They inject vitamins, minerals and hyaluronic acid into the skin, its not botox or filler but it gives your skin a lovely plump, hydrated look to it.
    The other option is just botox and filler.

Thanks Airyfairy12, definitely wouldn't be going down the botox/filler route! It's definitely not that bad yet anyway :D

I suppose I'll just pay more attention to my neck and moistursing it etc. as I don't really do that much at the moment, I kind of neglect my neck and decolletage.

Cheers :)

Not a cosmetic review as such but I think is worth noting.
    A few months ago I had a treatment done in a local salon, the initial result was great but the problem came back very quickly and I needed a number of further treatments which I expected and didnt mind.
    I was in the salon today for a hair appointment and noticed they had new brochures so picked one up. When I got home and opened it there was a picture of a section of my face, the area I got treated which showed the results immediately after the procedure. Beside it was a picture of a different person - focused on the same treated area, which insinuated we were the same person with before and after results. Ive built up friendly relationships with the staff in this salon over the years and was surprised to see such a blatant lie posted in their brochure.
    Something to keep in mind, im not one to fall for all sorts of beauty related claims but I would have wholeheartedly trusted this salon and would have bought into the claims made in the brochure if not for it being clearly my face alongside a strangers and knowing how many further treatments I required, I still need more.
    Made me think, do not believe everything you see or read in the beauty industry, even with local salons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Not a cosmetic review as such but I think is worth noting.
    A few months ago I had a treatment done in a local salon, the initial result was great but the problem came back very quickly and I needed a number of further treatments which I expected and didnt mind.
    I was in the salon today for a hair appointment and noticed they had new brochures so picked one up. When I got home and opened it there was a picture of a section of my face, the area I got treated which showed the results immediately after the procedure. Beside it was a picture of a different person - focused on the same treated area, which insinuated we were the same person with before and after results. Ive built up friendly relationships with the staff in this salon over the years and was surprised to see such a blatant lie posted in their brochure.
    Something to keep in mind, im not one to fall for all sorts of beauty related claims but I would have wholeheartedly trusted this salon and would have bought into the claims made in the brochure if not for it being clearly my face alongside a strangers and knowing how many further treatments I required, I still need more.
    Made me think, do not believe everything you see or read in the beauty industry, even with local salons.

That is terrible that they used your picture without your consent and also very deceitful.

Do you plan on approaching the salon about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

You would have to wonder why a salon would bother.. people aren't fools and most realistically don't expect immediate results or know that further treatments will possibly be needed..
    It's simply false advertising and can be more damaging to their salon in the long run!! Makes you wonder what else they are being dishonest about...

molly09 wrote: »
    That is terrible that they used your picture without your consent and also very deceitful.

Do you plan on approaching the salon about this?

tbh I dont feel that approaching them will make much of a difference and in fairness to them they where honest with me when I went for the treatment and told me the problem would likely resurface but the brochure itself came across as though it was a one off treatment with amazing results. Ill certainly be more weary in future when going for treatments based off before and after pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SallyGreen

Sephora Colorful Cream Shadows.
    I bought bronze and almost white. Both of them I use as a highlighter and shadows depend on makeup. They are longlasting and easy to shade if you need light daily look. Evening makeup is good too with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I bought kerastase shampoo, conditioner and treatment. Cost nearly €100. I actually feel a bit sick when i think about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've always used the Benefit blush/bronzer palettes, but I'm currently on a tight budget and couldn't justify the price ... I recently bought a Revolution palette, I think it was under a tenner and has a beautiful selection of blushes, bronzers and highlighters, I just love it! Every bit as good as the Benefit ones if not better, it lasts all day with no smudging or sliding or fading, I'm extremely impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I've always used the Benefit blush/bronzer palettes, but I'm currently on a tight budget and couldn't justify the price ... I recently bought a Revolution palette, I think it was under a tenner and has a beautiful selection of blushes, bronzers and highlighters, I just love it! Every bit as good as the Benefit ones if not better, it lasts all day with no smudging or sliding or fading, I'm extremely impressed.

I’m a big fan of Revolution products in general, they’ve become one of my go-to brands at this stage.

I’ve been using the Urban Decay setting spray for a while now, and it’s absolutely unreal. My makeup doesn’t budge, even when I’m sweating the face off myself in work! Definitely worth the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Where do ye get Revolution make up? Do certain chemists stock it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

One of my local pharmacies stock it, but you can also buy online from Revolutions website :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I think it was Cara Pharmacy in Sligo I got it, but I'm almost certain I've seen it in Superdrug in Dublin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

tbh I dont feel that approaching them will make much of a difference and in fairness to them they where honest with me when I went for the treatment and told me the problem would likely resurface but the brochure itself came across as though it was a one off treatment with amazing results. Ill certainly be more weary in future when going for treatments based off before and after pictures.

With GDPR we need written consent to use a persons photo. This wasn’t an issue last year. I’d follow it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think it was Cara Pharmacy in Sligo I got it, but I'm almost certain I've seen it in Superdrug in Dublin too.

Yup, Superdrug stock it. The one in the Square has a HUGE counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SallyGreen

I bought https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/face-brush. I like it, It makes my skin perfect. I use it with Lush soap in the morning and in the evening. After that apply a moisturising cream. And once in a week, I use it with the homemade sugar scrub (two spoons of brown sugar, one spoon of olive oil and dash of peach oil). But don't use this scrub if you have acne!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Can anyone recommend a bb or cc cream? Going away in a few weeks and want a bit of coverage on the skin but don’t really want to be putting foundation on everyday. Preferably not too pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Apparently the Note cosmetics CC cream is good and is reasonably priced.
    I recently bought the It Cosmetics CC cream recently and I love it. I think it cost around €39 in Arnotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I use the La Roche Posay Effaclar BB blur mousse. It has SPF in it too which I like. I use this most days as I find it ads a bit of coverage without being too heavy. It mightn’t suit all skin types but I like it. I’m very pale and I use the lightest colour. Boots have an offer on at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I love the MAC BB Cream, and there's a decent enough shade range too which I find can be a downfall in BB creams. It's €32.50 so a little of the expensive side. SPF 35.

I have a Max Factor CC cream that has a similar finish but maybe a little more coverage, the price would be more reasonable.

Advertisement