Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was eyeing up the Charlotte Tilbury Pillow talk eye shadow palette - lovely neat quad, really nice shades, looks like a handy usable palette.
    One problem - the price. I do like to treat myself but I really cannot justify that price.
    Can anyone suggest a dupe for the palette? Or 4 singles I can put together (I have an empty quad palette in the drawer).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I was eyeing up the Charlotte Tilbury Pillow talk eye shadow palette - lovely neat quad, really nice shades, looks like a handy usable palette.
    One problem - the price. I do like to treat myself but I really cannot justify that price.
    Can anyone suggest a dupe for the palette? Or 4 singles I can put together (I have an empty quad palette in the drawer).

Rimmel eyeshaddows are very good, I still go back to them, also Urban decay and Mac do amazing single eye shaddows, theyre still quite expensive for an eye shaddow but theyre really pigmented, good quality and cheaper than Charlotte Tilbury,
    Also check out Nars duo's, theyre incredibly long lasting, ive woken up forgetting to take my makeup off the night before and found the pigment still on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Was seriously needing the Charlotte tilbury glowgasm pallet. Was tempted to treat myself thinking it would be about 45/50€

It’s €75 SEVENTY FIVE bobs! :eek:

I didn’t purchase :(

You can buy the MAC shadows loose for €7 and an empty quad palette and then you could match the colours from MAC. Would cost less than the CT one by a long shot I’d say :)

CT are way over priced IMHO :)

Thanks for the replies. I have bought some Mac and makeup geek pan eyeshadows down through the years.
    I’m just not sure what shades would match those in the CT pillow talk palette.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I have bought some Mac and makeup geek pan eyeshadows down through the years.
    I’m just not sure what shades would match those in the CT pillow talk palette.

Swatch the CT palette and bring the swatches to MAC counter and they’ll help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

https://www.temptalia.com/charlotte-tilbury-pillow-talk-eyeshadow-quad-review-swatches/

If you click into the review it notes similar shades in other brands. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I have the tarte cosmetics tease palette which looks very similar. The middle shade at the bottom is shimmery verging on glittery rather than matte and it looks in the pic. I got it for about €20 I think in Sephora. Attached a comparison. The shadows are beautiful. Buttery, soft, blend really well and last all day with a primer (I just use the Essence lid primer). You’d obviously have to pay for postage too but might be worth it, would probably still be cheaper and you get six shadows rather than 4. I have mine about 2 years and have hit pan in just one. Just bought a replacement for myself while in the states and one for my SIL who’s always admired it.

482332.jpeg

Actually the make up revolution ultra eyeshadow palette called ‘flawless’ has lots of very similar tones and shades. I bloody love this palette, one of my most used. The colours are beautiful and quality is up there with high end brands. It’s 32 shades though so you wouldn’t have the convenience of bringing to work or in the handbag really but it’s only about €16 I think. I got mine in the UK a few years ago and it was only £10.

https://www.depop.com/products/makeup-revolution-flawless-palette-swatched/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Those aren't my colours (I can't wear anything warm) but the Tarte palette actually looks nicer than the CT, IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

https://www.boots.ie/rimmel-magnifeyes-eyeshadow-palette-crimson-edition-10258277

Purchased this at the weekend. I also have this in 'spice' and I haven't been disappointed, the quality really is excellent.

Swatch the CT palette and bring the swatches to MAC counter and they’ll help
    Thanks, I don't live anywhere near a MAC counter.
    Scraggs wrote: »
    https://www.temptalia.com/charlotte-tilbury-pillow-talk-eyeshadow-quad-review-swatches/

If you click into the review it notes similar shades in other brands. Hope this helps!
    Ah how did I not think of Temptalia - she's fab for reviews, swatches and dupes!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Finally broke the no-buy, lasted 6 months so I'll take that as a win!

I went to MAC all annoyed because they have discontinued my colour in the BB Cream, so I wanted to know what they have replaced it with - nothing apparently! The sales/MUA was really nice though and took me through a few alternative options and I settled on the Mineralise Skinfinish mineral powder foundation. I have never used a mineral foundation before but I have been liking the results. I use it with concealer and it gives a very natural "no makeup" look. I have been applying with a powder brush from Madison Makeup. https://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/14776/30734/products/vips/mineralize/mineralize-skinfinish-natural#!/shade/Light

Eyeliner was needed next, so I got the Fenty Flyliner. I just had a quick go with it but seems to do the trick. The nib isn't too stiff which is what I wanted and it came off easily with a cleanse off mitt and some facewash. https://www.boots.ie/fenty-beauty-flyliner-longwear-liquid-eyeliner-cuz-im-black-10263126

And then for a total random purchase, I got the Fenty Baeside liner trio. I swatched the blue in Seophora a few weeks ago and I loved it but they were out of stock of the trio it comes in. Reviews are very mixed, I'll have to wear on a night out to really test the staying power https://www.boots.ie/fenty-beauty/fenty-beauty-eyes/fenty-beauty-baeside-vivid-liquid-eyeliner-trio-papaya-mama-lime-feva-and-skinny-dip-3-x-3-8-ml-10263171

I ordered the Fenty from Boots and had it delivered for free to the store, ordered on Sunday night, collected on Tuesday morning, so handy!

I use that Mac powder as my day to day foundation and it’s lovely. Surprisingly good coverage! It sits really well over a creamy spf too which is handy. I use the clarins factor 30 anti wrinkle one and that powder buffed in over it gives a lovely semi matte finish.

Haven’t tried any Fenty products so will interested in how you find them :)

Just bought one of the Mac powder kiss lipsticks in stay curious, its a beautiful colour and a lovely texture, very creamy, smooth and matt, not nearly as drying as the standard Matt lipsticks which is a huge bonus for me but otherwise its pretty much a very average red lipstick when its applied.
    I dont experience any blurry, powdery or soft focus look on my lips like Mac claims, its more of a natural matt finish if applied lightly and/or blotted - can be easily built up to a statement red lip but I dont think thats the point of it, it also highlights texture on my lips which in fairness are always dry and textured regardless but was definitely more noticeable with the lipstick on than off - not nearly as bad as a standard matt but noticeable all the same.
    That said I played around with it until I found a consistency and application which worked for me and found that a light application, dabbed with my fingers created a very soft and natural look, its very wearable, comfortable and I love the colour but it does not live up to its claims. I cant comment on longevity as no lipstick has ever lasted more than hour on me, I dont understand how people get their lipstick to last without having to reapply 300 million times a day.

I also bought Jo Malone Mimosa and Cardamom - this was an off the cuff impulse buy that I cant afford but bought anyway and I don't regret it.
    I sprayed a few perfumes on in the shop while browsing, picked this one up and fell in love with it, its rare a fragrance has such an effect on me, I usually find perfumes to be generic, chemically or uninteresting but this was so creamy, subtle, sweet, warm and sophisticated, smells nothing like any perfume ive tried before so it really caught my attention.
    I spritzed my wrist and neck with the tester, put it down and carried on out of the shop, half an hour later I could still smell it. Jo Malone fragrances are notoriously short lived so I was very surprised by the longevity of this one, I also just loved the fragrance even more as time passed so talked myself into turning back and buying a full bottle - I didnt take much convincing.
    So happy I did as its really lovely and I know it will last me atleast a year so its worth the money I think and the scent itself is suprisingly long lasting for Jo Malone, sprayed some on about 3.30pm today and can still subtly smell it off my skin and clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Just bought the summer skin box from ASOS with a further 20% off (€9.60)

I’ve been trying not to buy stuff as I’ve loads but I’m a sucker for miniature products.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Recliner wrote: »
    Bought the Stila Perfect Me/Perfect Hue pallete in medium/tan yesterday based on a couple of recommendations on another post. I've been shopping the stash for so long, I'm literally dribbling with excitement at having something new and shiny!
    Now that I've broken the seal I also purchased the Pixi Beautiful Face pallete in English Rose from Lookfantastic. Colours of pinks and lilacs so between the 2 pallettes I should have plenty of options.
    Lookfantastic were doing 3 for 2 on Pixi products so I bought the Pixi/Caroline Hirons double cleanse and the gel eye patches. I've read good reviews on both. I've used the Glow tonic, Glow mud cleanser and Glow mud mask before and my chin got a bit red and spotty from the tonic so I'm hoping that these don't break me out.

Just a few thoughts on these now that I've used them all. The double cleanser is amazing, I've used it religiously for a week now and my skin feels so soft afterwards, not at all tight and dry like it usually is. I had a bit of an issue with spots on my chin and these have cleared totally up. I started using the Pixi glow tonic again this week and it hasn't broken me out again so I think basically my face just wasn't clean which is a bit yucky. I'll definitely be re-purchasing this. Honestly, I don't know when I was last so impressed with a product.
    The eye pads, I'm not as impressed with. I don't feel they do a whole lot but I'm only using them when I use a face or sheet mask so I don't know. They are a bit fiddly as well. I'm going to pop them in the fridge and see does that help. The Stila pallete is totally gorgeous, the colours are so pigmented, just a swipe of one colour over the lid and in the crease and a bit of shimmer under the brow and you're done. The Pixi pallete, I think would be more a day time look item. It's nice and I do like the colours but had I known how good the double cleanse was, I'd have bought 3 of them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I can't get over how good the Nyx Epic Ink eyeliner is. Genuinely delighted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I use that Mac powder as my day to day foundation and it’s lovely. Surprisingly good coverage! It sits really well over a creamy spf too which is handy. I use the clarins factor 30 anti wrinkle one and that powder buffed in over it gives a lovely semi matte finish.

Haven’t tried any Fenty products so will interested in how you find them :)

I only went and dropped the ****ing powder foundation this morning :mad: Smashy smashy.

I really like the Fenty Flyliner! The nib is very flexible which suits me, and I'm able to get both a really thin, close to lash line finish, as well as a thicker flick look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

oh no - hopefully you can fix it with alcohol @ Twee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

On my way to purchase a good black pencil eyeliner, willing to splash out, any recommendations? I've found Lancome and Dior good in the past but it's been years since I've spent money on a decent one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm just hear to rave about Revolution again. :o

This week's purchase was a double-ended black eyeliner, it's kohl pencil one end and liquid pen the other. "Awesome Dual Eyeliner Line And Flick."

Both are excellent. I usually don't bother with liquid liner but this pen makes it easy to apply, even I can manage to get it on in a straight line with no blotches. I always use pencil liner every day and this is the best I've used in a long time, very black and sharp and really lasts.

In fact the only complaint I have about this product is that it lasts so well it's a little difficult to remove - to be honest I don't even really see that as a fault, as it lasts all day with no need for reapplication.

Only cost around a fiver, I think it comes in other colours too.

I was dead impressed with this, but actually, the pencil part ran out after only about 3 weeks of daily use. Still no complaints about the liquid part, by far the best I've used in a very long time, but I only use the liquid eyeliner occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I bought the SoSu eye voltage, and the so kiss me lip kit. I actually love them both. I thought the eye voltage was going to be too dark but its actually lovely on. Dunno who I think I am going around with no make up apart from my brows today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

On my way to purchase a good black pencil eyeliner, willing to splash out, any recommendations? I've found Lancome and Dior good in the past but it's been years since I've spent money on a decent one!

The Nars eyeliner pencil is excellent if willing to splash out. I think it's around the 25 mark. That said on the cheaper end I think a lot of people here sing the praises of Catrice? I love the Nars one as it lasts the full day without reapplication for me, and I have very watery eyes.

YSL Dessin Du Regard eye pencils are brilliant, theyre very creamy, blend able and the pigment is great.
    Essence eyeliners are also brilliant, I prefar the twisty ones to the pencils that need pairing, they just seem to be a little creamier and easier to apply but both are fine. Rimmel and Catrice eyeliners are also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Bought a few things last week I was away and sure it doesn’t count if you are abroad or on a plane :)

Whatever you do avoid the “instant eye lift” stuff on the aer lingus flights. I bought it as I was heading to an event and was tired and had dark circles Jesus it’s horrid there’s barely any in the tube, it made my eyes weep and even after leaving it the recommended time my make up would not go on over it! In the bin!

Bought alpha h liquid gold as it’s well priced on flights and I swear by it - if I use it twice a week for a few weeks my skin looks so much brighter.

After hearing so many people rave about it I picked up a tub of eygytian magic cream. I’ve only used it twice but love it it feels so smooth on my skin!

Picked up a retinol serum called Egyptian gold - can’t usually use retinol as it dries my skin but this stuff hasn’t at all and I’ve been using for over a week

Neo strata bionic eye cream plus - the only eye cream I have ever found works for dark circles I ran out and they were back, using a week now and huge improvement already. I’ve tried so many products this is the only one that works

Cobra full of lashes mascara - bought in a nail salon abroad as I’d no mascara and it’s amazing! My lashes look so long, no clumps and it doesn’t smudge!! Now I just have to see can I get it over here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Oh and repurchased essence “you better work” tinted day cream this is dirt cheap but just fab for a light bit of colour and coverage I’m so impressed with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have a YSL waterproof one that I love. Can't remember the exact name but I'll check later. It glides on (despite being waterproof), smudges really well if you need to blur the line a bit and is a gorgeous, inky black. Would highly recommend.

I went to America earlier in the month and I'd be embarrassed to put up here all that I bought! Even though I had made a list in advance of what I wanted to pick up, I guess I didn't realise the list was so long. Or that the minis in Sephora and Target were so tempting! I hit Sephora twice and I don't even want to know how much I spent! Even when I got home, trying to find storage in the bathroom for everything. That's me well and truly slapped on the behind - bar a couple of things that are moreso Irish that I want to try (bperfect tan, Carter Beauty makeup) there will be no purchasing of makeup for the rest of the year (or 2!)

• Advertisement

Anyway I've used a couple of my US purchases.

Urban Decay Naked Reloaded palette - I had this and the Cherry palette on my list and just got this one in the end, I felt it wouldn't really reach for the Cherry palette. Quite like the Reloaded palette, easy to put some daytime looks together. Like the packaging, great idea to dispense with the brush. There is a bit of kick back with the shadows which I've never noticed with any other UD palettes (I must dig out the Heat palette to check). Not as bad as ABH palettes but noticeable all the same, you do need a lightish hand. But the pigment of the shadows are good. If you have loads of eyeshadow palettes you don't need this. But if you are looking for a good palette for daytime or work wear then it would be one to consider.

Too Faced Peach perfect powder - this came in a Too Faced gift set I bought. It is strongly scented, very sweet. But it leaves the skin silky soft. Huge pot, it going to last me years!

Milani Make it Last setting spray - disappointed in this. It's a lovely handbag size and I brought it away with me last weekend where I was going to be wearing minimal makeup but would be outside in the elements all day. It was very wet and took ages to dry down. It did not set my makeup as it rubbed off on my cap and my hoody when I took it off. I think it's more of a primer water. It's a pity, a little setting spray like that would be handy.

Amika Perky Up dry shampoo - travel size came in a Sephora favourite set. Lovely smell and doesn't leave that dry shampoo feel on the hair like others do, hair actually feels clean.

Note Cosmetics BB cream - I bought this for holidays and the summer. A little goes a long way. I can't think off the top of my head what shade I got and it is a little too dark for me so if I use sparingly and blend well I can get away with it. It does give a lovely finish to the skin and great for a "no make up" look.

Advertisement