Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

juke wrote: »
    In Arnotts, only if they have proper ones to hand - they won't decant into mini pots for 'health and safety' reasons :rolleyes:

I hate when they're scabby with samples! Nars BT "didn't have my colour" in a sample one day and they tried to convince me the colour would be perfect and to just buy anyway. When I said no thanks and began to walk away they magically found one. Used it at home, colour too dark and it oxidised on me. This is why I need samples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Twee. wrote: »
    I hate when they're scabby with samples! Nars BT "didn't have my colour" in a sample one day and they tried to convince me the colour would be perfect and to just buy anyway. When I said no thanks and began to walk away they magically found one. Used it at home, colour too dark and it oxidised on me. This is why I need samples!

Absolutely! This has happened to me before and its so annoying. I now refuse to buy without trying, especially higher end brands. They should be confident enough in their formulations to give samples.

To give some credit I did get a sample from YSL recently, but like you the colour wasnt right and I wasnt a fan of how it wore on my skin, so I didnt go back to buy. But its good to know what brands will happily give a sample to try at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I gave out about Brown Thomas Galway being mean with samples. Dublin are better. Companies send them out, what are they doing with them?
    I think I wrote it on social media. They replied and said a manager would get in contact. Which I didn’t actually want, I didn’t have anything to add to the rant. They didn’t bother contacting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I have enough empties gathered up to get my free lipstick with Back to Mac. Any recommendations? Think I'd like a nice Cremesheen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I have enough empties gathered up to get my free lipstick with Back to Mac. Any recommendations? Think I'd like a nice Cremesheen.

Twig is a gorgeous colour, it's a satin. Cremesheens don't last that long IME

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

See shear or crosswires:)

Just wondering if anyone here buys Dermalogica skincare, I've been using it for years and love it (gel cleanser, daily scrub and intensive moisturiser), I paid 72e for the moisturiser last time but it was 83e this week (new packaging), I'm thinking that's too steep but I do love it,unsure if I could get similar cheaper or if I should just stick with it, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Have been going most days "bare-faced" over the moisturiser and SPF (only using the "Teint Couture Balm" by Givenchy as a concealer on blemishes if/when needed).

Since last year have been using "Bariésun" by Uriage as SPF, and wanted to try a new one - with a little something extra.

Just got "Sun Secure Blur SPF50" by SVR, as was intrigued by its advertised "blur" effect.
    Tried it this morning, very early days but was happy with the texture and also with the finish, face is silky, the colour melted with my own.
    Will see how it goes after more wearing, if it causes blemishes or other reactions (my skin is very sensitive).

I was also considering "B‑Protect SPF 50+" by Avene , might try it next time.

On this subject of: SPFs wth a little correction, has anyone yet tried something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Here’s a review on the dream urban cover maybeline foundation. I’ve followed Ruth for years and her recommendations are always great.

https://www.amodelrecommends.com/foundation-review-maybelline-dream-urban-cover/

One important thing she mentioned was that in order for it to be SPF 50 you need to use half a teaspoon of product!! For me I only use about a two cent coin over my whole face. I didn’t realise this at all so I’m glad I’ve been using a separate SPF anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

otnomart wrote: »
    Have been going most days "bare-faced" over the moisturiser and SPF (only using the "Teint Couture Balm" by Givenchy as a concealer on blemishes if/when needed).

Since last year have been using "Bariésun" by Uriage as SPF, and wanted to try a new one - with a little something extra.

Just got "Sun Secure Blur SPF50" by SVR, as was intrigued by its advertised "blur" effect.
    Tried it this morning, very early days but was happy with the texture and also with the finish, face is silky, the colour melted with my own.
    Will see how it goes after more wearing, if it causes blemishes or other reactions (my skin is very sensitive).

I was also considering "B‑Protect SPF 50+" by Avene , might try it next time.

On this subject of: SPFs wth a little correction, has anyone yet tried something else?

I use this one https://www.rochespharmacy.ie/index.php?route=product/product&search=bioderma%20spf&product_id=2675 - its really nice on my skin and I love the little bit of coverage it gives also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Just wondering if anyone here buys Dermalogica skincare, I've been using it for years and love it (gel cleanser, daily scrub and intensive moisturiser), I paid 72e for the moisturiser last time but it was 83e this week (new packaging), I'm thinking that's too steep but I do love it,unsure if I could get similar cheaper or if I should just stick with it, any thoughts?

I can't advise really as I've never been a Dermalogica fan, but just to say thats probably roughly Image pricing so perhaps they've seen that people will pay that and are trying to position themselves as premuim like Image?

The skincare market it pretty crowded these days.

Maybe worth doing some research on the Dermalogica products themselves, instead of just always buying them because you like them. For that money I'd want active ingredients and plenty of it!

Maybe worth comparing the ingredients against Image or other brands at that price point to determine whether you're getting value?

Personally I don't resent spending money on my face (sure I only have the one!) but I would want bang for my buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

SozBbz wrote: »
    Do IT cosmetics give samples at their counters? I am loathe to buy new foundations these days (because I have loads) but would be interested in a lighter/summer product. Probably wouldnt buy before trying though.

I was in chatting to them yesterday. I was asking about the travel size because I wanted to try before commiting to the larger bottle and they said they don't do travel size in the illuminating one. They said they had run out of sample pots but if I went into Pennys or somewhere and got my own little pot they would give me a sample of it which I did.

So maybe it depends on who is working - but I dealt with 2 different girls and both said it was no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Years ago I used their "Barrier Repair", I think I re-purchased three or four times and was happy with it.

But skin does change, and when it happens we look for something that works for the skin we have right now.

I would say, if you are happy with the moisturiser, stick with it until it suits your skin,

but maybe look for another cleanser and scrub ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

A while ago I treated myself to Charlotte Tilbury Flawless Filter. Anyone else tried it? It makes me glowy, with a little coverage to even out my face, and you wear it under foundation or by itself on a minimal makeup day. I feel like I could achieve the same thing with a BB cream mixed with strobe cream or similar? A nice product, but I don't think the €40 price tag is justified. Will use it up but probably not repurchase.

I also bought her Pillow Talk lipstick and it's so fab. A real perfect nude.

Got a sample of the Nars Sheer Glow to try as well before dropping dollar on it. After a few days wear, I don't know about it, I do think Loreal True Match is a very close dupe for it both in terms of finish, longevity, etc. I'm not convinced about it yet, again whether its really any better at €42 than the True Match which is €14.

Have some BT vouchers to spend after my 30th last week, trying to decide what beauty bits I need in my life!

The Cool wrote: »

Have some BT vouchers to spend after my 30th last week, trying to decide what beauty bits I need in my life!

I'd buy a handbag :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

JustMe,K wrote: »
    I'd buy a handbag :D

Or shoes :D

The Cool wrote: »
    A while ago I treated myself to Charlotte Tilbury Flawless Filter. Anyone else tried it? It makes me glowy, with a little coverage to even out my face, and you wear it under foundation or by itself on a minimal makeup day. I feel like I could achieve the same thing with a BB cream mixed with strobe cream or similar? A nice product, but I don't think the €40 price tag is justified. Will use it up but probably not repurchase.

I also bought her Pillow Talk lipstick and it's so fab. A real perfect nude.

Got a sample of the Nars Sheer Glow to try as well before dropping dollar on it. After a few days wear, I don't know about it, I do think Loreal True Match is a very close dupe for it both in terms of finish, longevity, etc. I'm not convinced about it yet, again whether its really any better at €42 than the True Match which is €14.

I love Flawless Filter. Pillow Talk was not a success on me though, made me look like a corpse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

When it comes to lip liners, I really like Mac subculture, nothing amazing, but it's so reliable and neutral, I use it every morning with either balm or light gloss and it just gives a lovey polished natural look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I love Flawless Filter. Pillow Talk was not a success on me though, made me look like a corpse

Same for me, I got it as part of a Christmas box called world of legendary parties, but it just makes me look like I have no lips.

I was recently travelling through Dublin airport and wanted to get a make up remover (because I’m secretly a filth bag who only takes off eye makeup to avoid panda eyes). Went to Clinique as the Moisture Surge is my favourite.
    The lady really kindly gave me a little pot of Take The Day Off because they only had large ones and I had only hand luggage. I really like it, it feels like you’re rubbing goose fat into your face but worked well and didn’t irritate my skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yeah I tried the pillow talk lippie on before and it was too pale for me. The formula and smell seemed quite cheap to me, reminded me of a Penneys lipstick I had before and they are really opposite ends of the budget!
    I'm still lusting of the pillow talk eye shadow palette though!

• Advertisement

Same for me, I got it as part of a Christmas box called world of legendary parties, but it just makes me look like I have no lips.

I was recently travelling through Dublin airport and wanted to get a make up remover (because I’m secretly a filth bag who only takes off eye makeup to avoid panda eyes). Went to Clinique as the Moisture Surge is my favourite.
    The lady really kindly gave me a little pot of Take The Day Off because they only had large ones and I had only hand luggage. I really like it, it feels like you’re rubbing goose fat into your face but worked well and didn’t irritate my skin.

Absolutely love TTDO and have been using it for years. Have recently been dabbling with the Drunk Elephant balm cleanser also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Has anyone ever bought from beautyshop.ie? They stock a moisturizer that since buying the the states I can’t be without but I dont know whether they are reputable or not and it’s €60 I don’t wanna throw away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Has soap and glory discontinued their glad hair day shampoo and conditioner? I cant find them anywhere, I loved them, they made my hair so soft and shiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Has soap and glory discontinued their glad hair day shampoo and conditioner? I cant find them anywhere, I loved them, they made my hair so soft and shiny.

They've expanded their hair range I know, maybe they've renamed the original versions??

Looks the Glad Hair day line has been discontinued, as Gingerlily said they've extended their range

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I want this because its so cheap, but I am battling with the fact I don't need more skincare :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Cult Beauty have 20% off palettes. Discount applied at checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Lady Gaga is releasing her own line of makeup. Small collection of lip gloss, lip liner and eyeshadow powder in different shades. I pre-ordered the Haus of Goddess set (€52) - the colours are along the champagne/peach line. Not shipping til September so it'll be a nice surprise as I'll probably have forgotten about it. Free international shipping on all pre-orders which I thought was pretty good!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The Lisa Eldridge lipsticks came back on pre-order so I picked up Velvet Morning, an orange-red. The rest are sold out again, don't know how this one is still in stock!

https://www.lisaeldridge.com/shop/product/1540028596267/#.XTmYb-hKg2w

ECOM_FINALS_2_0004_LISA_ELDRIDGE_VELVET_MORNING_BULLET_medium.jpg?v=1563735741

Advertisement